|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Letters of the 1960s.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
2. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) When the Sun has risen and set.
(b) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(c) When the Moon has risen and set.
(d) Where the Sun has risen and set.
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) Only a few.
(b) Too many to count.
4. What invention does Tolkien make when writing the poem being discussed with Unwin?
(a) A new world.
(b) A new genre.
(c) A new meter.
(d) A new word.
5. Which versions of <i>The Hobbit<i> earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
(a) The French and German versions.
(b) The Italian and German versions.
(c) The Italian, French, and German versions.
(d) The Italian and French versions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
3. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
4. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)