|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) Monogrammed stationery.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(d) An encyclopedia set.
2. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(b) They are too short.
(c) They are too long.
(d) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) When the Moon has risen and set.
(b) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(c) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(d) When the Sun has risen and set.
4. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(c) Three times.
(d) Four times.
5. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Getting the books into their published form.
(b) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
(c) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(d) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Letter #159 addressed?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>"?
3. How long is the summary that Tolkien's new publisher asks him to write at the end of "Publisher Drama"?
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
5. What assertion does Tolkien make about <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)