|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, After the Fall of the Elves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
2. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
3. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for <i>The Hobbit</i>?
4. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) <i>The Hobbit</i>.
(b) <i>Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics</i>.
(c) <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(d) <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
5. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(a) The Nazgul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
2. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
5. How does Tolkien describe the writing of <i>The Hobbit</i> to Christopher?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)