|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
(a) To use for publicity.
(b) To use for copyrighting the work.
(c) To include on the back cover.
(d) To include on the inside cover.
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) The books' reviews.
(b) The books' sales.
(c) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
(d) C.S. Lewis' books.
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(b) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(c) They are too long.
(d) They are too short.
5. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) March 19.
(b) July 9.
(c) April 19.
(d) June 9.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
2. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
3. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of The Lord of the Rings?
4. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
5. As mentioned in Letter #246, where is Frodo unable to give up the Ring?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)