|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) The Lord of the Rings.
(b) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Silmarillion.
2. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(b) The Nazgul.
3. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Silmarillion.
(c) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
4. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(a) Middle English.
(d) English Literature.
5. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(b) New Hampshire.
(c) New England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
2. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
3. What book has Tolkien recently completed when he writes a letter to W.H. Auden that is included in "To Anne Barrett of Houghton Mifflin Co."?
4. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
5. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)