|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(b) It is not clear.
2. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be appreciated.
(b) They could be restrained.
(c) They could be listened to.
(d) They could be reasoned with.
3. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #246, what drives Frodo to embark on the incredible journey?
(a) The need to do what is right and the love of a friend.
(b) The love of a friend and loyalty.
(c) The need to do what is right, the love of a friend, and loyalty.
(d) Loyalty and the need to do what is right.
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The author of The Silmarillion.
(b) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
(c) The creator of Gandolf.
(d) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
2. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
3. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
4. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)