|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) His actual interests.
(b) The recommendation of a friend.
(c) His value of the English language.
(d) An accidental job interview.
2. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(b) The Misty Mountains.
(c) Fangorn Forest.
(d) The Shire.
3. Who participates in the Machine?
(d) Mortals, Elves, and Hobbits.
4. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(c) Financial and personal.
(d) Neither financial nor personal.
5. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which versions of The Hobbit earn Tolkien an honorary doctorate, as mentioned in Letter #165?
2. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
3. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
4. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
5. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)