|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(b) Only C.S. Lewis.
(c) Only his wife and son.
(d) C.S. Lewis and his son.
2. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
3. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a day.
(b) Once a week.
(d) Once a month.
4. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Second Age.
(b) The Third Age.
(c) The First Age.
(d) The Fourth Age.
5. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
(b) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
(c) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(d) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What choice does Tolkien think each person has?
2. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
3. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)