|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) As an attempt to rewrite The Lord of the Rings.
(b) As a reference to Tolkien.
(c) As a way to generate interest in the story.
(d) As an attempt to write a sequel to The Lord of the Rings.
4. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A publishing house.
(b) A printing service.
(c) A bank.
(d) A law firm.
5. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) Christopher Tolkien.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) Edith Bratt.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
2. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
4. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
5. Why does Tolkien's new publisher need a summary of the books?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)