|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 5.
(b) Chapter 8.
(c) Chapter 10.
(d) Chapter 3.
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. What type of good news does Tolkien preview in Letter #185?
(a) Neither financial nor personal.
(b) Financial and personal.
4. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Hobbit.
5. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(c) They are all over five pages.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
3. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
4. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
5. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)