|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) Advertisements for the books.
(b) Maps for the books.
(c) The number of books printed.
(d) The number of books sold.
2. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) November and December.
(b) February and March.
(c) June and July.
(d) August and September.
3. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Eight years.
(b) A decade.
(c) Over a decade.
(d) Four years.
4. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
5. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is delighted.
(b) He is offended.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is curious.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in Letter #246, what is the main difference between Gandalf and Sauron?
2. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
3. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
4. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
5. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)