|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
(a) Novels vs. poems.
(b) The spoken word vs. the written word.
(c) Published works vs. unpublished works.
(d) Poems vs. short stories.
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
(a) The creator of Gandolf.
(b) The author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The author of The Silmarillion.
(d) The creator of Mr. Bilbo Baggins.
3. Based on Tolkien's letter to W.H. Auden, who is responsible for shaping an individual's behavior?
(a) The individual and people around them.
(b) The individual.
(c) People around the individual.
(d) Neither the individual nor people around them.
4. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(b) They are all less than one-page long.
(c) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(d) They are all over five pages.
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Letter #182?
2. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
5. In what year is Letter #253 written?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)