|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
3. When does the history of the Elves begin?
(a) Long before humanity.
(b) Just before humanity.
(c) Long after humanity.
(d) Just after humanity.
4. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
5. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
3. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
4. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
5. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)