|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(b) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(c) Industrialized and disciplined.
(d) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. White.
(b) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(c) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(d) Mrs. E.M. White.
3. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(c) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
4. Who is Tolkien replying to in Letter #246?
(a) Mrs. Eileen Elgar.
(b) Rayner Unwin.
5. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
2. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
3. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
4. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
5. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)