|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) Rayner Unwin.
2. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The department supervisor.
(d) The dean.
3. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) A special type of fire.
(b) A certain magical spell.
(c) The power generated from another ring.
(d) The water from a specific river.
4. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
(a) The Second Age.
(b) The First Age.
(c) The Third Age.
(d) The Fourth Age.
5. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
3. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
5. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)