|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) George Allen.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) Rayner Unwin.
(d) Milton Waldman.
2. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
3. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Intentionally offensive.
(b) Somewhat misguided.
(c) Largely misguided.
(d) Unintentionally offensive.
4. When is Letter #185 written to Christopher and Faith Tolkien?
(a) March 19.
(b) June 9.
(c) July 9.
(d) April 19.
5. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
2. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
3. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
4. What feeling does Tolkien have about knowing the entire story of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
5. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)