|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Letter #246, about Gandalf and the Ring, written?
(a) November 1965.
(b) November 1962.
(c) September 1963.
(d) September 1964.
2. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers take even more time.
(b) The publishers do not respond.
(c) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
(d) The publishers decline to publish them.
3. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The department supervisor.
(c) The dean.
4. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(b) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(c) That he remove two of the characters.
(d) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
2. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
3. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
4. When is Letter #159 dated?
5. What does Tolkien announce to Christopher Bretherton in Letter #257?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)