|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) All of it.
(b) None of it.
(c) Very little of it.
(d) The majority of it.
2. What aspect of fiction is detailed in Letter #199?
3. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He is unaware of it.
(c) He is confused by it.
(d) He is grateful.
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(d) The Silmarillion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
3. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
4. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
5. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)