|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
2. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
(a) Because of his fame as an author.
(b) Because of the anticipation of the new book he is writing.
(c) Because of the reputation of the person that preceded him.
(d) Because of the amount of time he has worked at the university.
3. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) Only his wife and son.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(c) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(d) Only C.S. Lewis.
4. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(a) The Witch-king of Angmar.
5. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Advance posters advertising a book.
(b) Advance copies of a printed book.
(c) Chapter summaries for a book.
(d) Reviews for a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
2. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
3. What does Tolkien think drives humans towards certain behaviors?
4. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
5. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)