|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
2. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
(b) He is very appreciative.
(c) He thinks it is terrible.
(d) He is insulted.
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(c) Middle English.
(d) English Literature.
4. Besides his publisher, who else does Tolkien give credit to for his literary success in his letter to D. Auden?
(a) A nun, a former teacher, and a former student.
(b) A former teacher and a former student.
(c) A nun and a former student.
(d) A nun and a former teacher.
5. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) The Misty Mountains.
(c) The Shire.
(d) Fangorn Forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tolkien in Letter #246, what would have happened if Gandalf wore the ring?
2. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
3. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
4. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
5. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)