|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
2. In what year is Letter #253 written?
3. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) It will be very helpful.
(b) They will not be surprised.
(c) They will be surprised.
(d) It will not be very helpful.
4. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
(a) Professor Forster, Mrs. Drijver, and Hugo Dyson.
(b) Professor Forster and Mrs. Drijver.
(c) Professor Forster and Hugo Dyson.
(d) Mrs. Drijver and Hugo Dyson.
5. How heroic does Tolkien think Frodo is in Letter #246?
(a) He thinks that Frodo is mostly a hero, but not fully.
(b) He thinks that Frodo is only heroic in two situations.
(c) He thinks that Frodo is a hero.
(d) He does not think that Frodo is a hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Tolkien's assessment in Letter #159, who is the most surprised about the results of the published books?
2. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
3. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
4. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
5. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)