|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) An improvement in education.
(b) An improvement in the arts.
(c) A decline of education.
(d) A decline of the arts.
2. As displayed in Letter #257, what is the connection between Tolkien's childhood and his later years?
(a) His fascination with Elves.
(b) His writing.
(c) His education.
(d) His enjoyment of stories.
3. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Getting the books into their published form.
(b) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(c) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(d) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
4. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) Fangorn Forest.
(c) The Misty Mountains.
(d) The Shire.
5. Which one of the following best describes Tolkien's recount of the history surrounding his poem in "Publisher Drama"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
2. How many Elves does Tolkien think might be able to manage the Ring of Power in Letter #246?
3. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
4. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
5. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)