|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien think his writing about the joys of fatherhood will be interpreted by people who are not yet parents?
(a) They will not be surprised.
(b) They will be surprised.
(c) It will not be very helpful.
(d) It will be very helpful.
2. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 5.
(b) Chapter 10.
(c) Chapter 3.
(d) Chapter 8.
3. To whom does Tolkien write about the impact of C.S. Lewis' passing?
(a) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
4. How does Tolkien describe the writing of <i>The Hobbit</i> to Christopher?
(a) Both easy and difficult.
(c) Neither easy nor difficult.
5. What happens when Tolkien first decides to approach the publishers about the delay of the books?
(a) The publishers do not respond.
(b) The publishers provide a list of excuses.
(c) The publishers decline to publish them.
(d) The publishers take even more time.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish <i>The Lord of the Rings</i> trilogy and <i>The Silmarillion</i>?
2. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
3. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
4. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
5. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)