|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien design the book, <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) To be read as several separate stories.
(b) Not to be read aloud.
(c) To be read in one sitting.
(d) To be read aloud.
2. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
(a) Once a month.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Once a week.
3. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
(b) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(c) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
4. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is curious.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is delighted.
(d) He is offended.
5. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(c) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of <i>The Hobbit</i> to Christopher?
3. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
4. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)