|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
2. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Only a few.
(d) Too many to count.
3. According to Tolkien in Letter #257, what prevents people from having children?
(a) Neither fear nor reluctance.
(b) Fear, but not reluctance.
(c) Fear and reluctance.
(d) Reluctance, but not fear.
4. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The dean.
(d) The department supervisor.
5. What is the only date found on Letter #182?
(a) January, 1956.
(b) June, 1955.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
2. How does Tolkien originally respond to Unwin's request about the poem?
3. Who participates in the Machine?
4. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
5. How does Tolkien sign Letter #165?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)