|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(c) It is not clear.
2. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
3. How long is Letter #182?
(a) It is divided into multiple sections.
(b) It is an average length.
(c) It is several pages long.
(d) It is brief.
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is delighted.
(b) He is offended.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is curious.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Tolkien become disturbed by the length of time to publish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion?
2. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
3. Why does Tolkien think his new position at the university will be better received in Letter #182?
4. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
5. What issue does a woman's presence raise for Tolkien in "Publisher Drama"?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)