|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary technique does Tolkien not appreciate?
2. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Reporting to class on time.
(b) Talking with students.
(c) Reading academic books.
(d) Grading papers.
3. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
4. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fairy Tales.
(b) English and Welsh languages.
(c) English and Welsh.
(d) English Fiction.
5. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(c) Both easy and difficult.
(d) Neither easy nor difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
2. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
3. In Tolkien as "The Old Man," which dictionary does Tolkien reveal he worked for earlier in his life?
4. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
5. Which poem does Rayner Unwin initially write to Tolkien about?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)