|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe his work for a dictionary?
(a) Humbling and prestigious.
(b) Humbling, but not prestigious.
(c) Neither humbling nor prestigious.
(d) Prestigious, but not humbling.
2. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
3. Which book began as a story that Tolkien created to read to his children?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(d) The Hobbit.
4. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
5. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
(b) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(c) He did not take the warning seriously.
(d) He misinterpreted the warning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe Gandalf in Letter #246?
2. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
3. How do the Belgians describe Tolkien in Letter #165?
4. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
5. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)