|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) George Allen.
(d) Milton Waldman.
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 10.
(b) Chapter 8.
(c) Chapter 5.
(d) Chapter 3.
4. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
5. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The abundance of different cultures.
(b) The lack of resources.
(c) The limited education.
(d) The psychological effects of their immortality.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the history of the Elves begin?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
3. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
4. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)