|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
2. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Edith Bratt.
(b) Christopher Tolkien.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
3. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
4. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
5. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
(b) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(c) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(d) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
2. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
4. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
5. What is Allen & Unwin?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)