|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Milton Waldman.
(b) George Allen.
(c) Rayner Unwin.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Hobbit.
(d) The Silmarillion.
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elven.
(c) Elfen and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elfen.
4. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
5. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. E.M. White.
(b) Mrs. C.S. White.
(c) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(d) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
2. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
4. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
5. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)