|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(d) City folk.
2. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
3. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
(a) Only the Elves.
(b) Neither the Machine nor the Elves.
(c) Only the Machine.
(d) The Machine and the Elves.
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(b) Both easy and difficult.
(d) Neither easy nor difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
2. When does the history of the Elves begin?
3. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
4. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
5. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)