|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) When the Sun has risen and set.
(b) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(c) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(d) When the Moon has risen and set.
2. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
(a) The first draft of a never released manuscript.
(b) Early copies of documents.
(c) An encyclopedia set.
(d) Monogrammed stationery.
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(c) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(d) It will be meant to be read by children.
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(b) That he remove two of the characters.
(c) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(d) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
5. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) Edith Bratt.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) Christopher Tolkien.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
4. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
5. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)