|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(d) It is not clear.
2. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
3. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The psychological effects of their immortality.
(b) The lack of resources.
(c) The abundance of different cultures.
(d) The limited education.
4. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a boat.
(b) On a plane.
(c) On a train.
(d) In a car.
5. According to Tolkien in Letter #131, what is the source of magic in his stories?
(a) Neither the Machine nor the Elves.
(b) Only the Machine.
(c) Only the Elves.
(d) The Machine and the Elves.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
2. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
3. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
4. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
5. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)