|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assertion does Tolkien make about Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) It is a children's book.
(b) It is his longest work to date.
(c) It is not a children's book.
(d) It is an unfinished work.
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) They will not understand it.
(c) He encourages them not to read it.
(d) They might like it.
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(c) Too many to count.
(d) Only a few.
4. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They are angered by it.
(b) They try to ignore it.
(c) They are confused by it.
(d) They are amused by it.
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
3. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
4. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)