|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which school is Tolkien attending when the first letter begins?
2. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(b) Too many to count.
(c) Only a few.
3. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(c) The Nazgul.
4. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(c) English Literature.
(d) Middle English.
5. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(b) The unpredictability of it.
(c) The extensive research done before writing.
(d) The predictability of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
3. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
4. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)