|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The unpredictability of it.
(b) The extensive research done before writing.
(c) The predictability of it.
(d) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
2. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
(a) It is not clear.
3. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(b) That he remove two of the characters.
(c) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(d) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
4. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) George Allen.
(b) Milton Waldman.
(c) Rayner Unwin.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
5. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who participates in the Machine?
2. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
3. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
4. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
5. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)