|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and sense of humor.
(b) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(c) His abilities and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and abilities.
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They might like it.
(b) He encourages them not to read it.
(c) They will not like it.
(d) They will not understand it.
3. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The endings of the letters.
(b) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(c) Months and dates.
(d) Personal information.
4. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They are confused by it.
(b) They are angered by it.
(c) They are amused by it.
(d) They try to ignore it.
5. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(a) English Literature.
(b) Middle English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
2. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
3. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
4. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
5. Based on the information in the Introduction, how many chapters does the book have?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)