|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too short.
(b) They are too long.
(c) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(d) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
2. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Rayner Unwin.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) Milton Waldman.
(d) George Allen.
3. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
4. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
(a) The extensive research done before writing.
(b) The extensive reading of other fiction done before writing.
(c) The unpredictability of it.
(d) The predictability of it.
5. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
2. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
3. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
4. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)