|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the history of the Elves begin?
(a) Just after humanity.
(b) Just before humanity.
(c) Long after humanity.
(d) Long before humanity.
2. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many metaphors.
(d) Too many analogies.
3. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New Hampshire.
(b) New England.
4. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he remove two of the characters.
(b) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(c) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(d) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
5. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
(b) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(c) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(d) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
2. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
3. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
4. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)