|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) Only a few.
(c) Too many to count.
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) Personal information.
(b) The endings of the letters.
(c) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(d) Months and dates.
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(b) When the Moon has risen and set.
(c) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(d) When the Sun has risen and set.
4. How does Tolkien think children will respond to Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) They will not like it.
(b) He encourages them not to read it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) They might like it.
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
2. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
3. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
4. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
5. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)