|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(a) The Nazgul.
2. What book inspired a schoolboy to write to Tolkien, prompting his response in Letter #114?
(a) <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>.
(b) <i>The Hobbit</i>.
(c) <i>The Silmarillion</i>.
(d) <i>Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics</i>.
3. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Good intentions.
(b) Evil intentions.
(c) Unknown intentions.
(d) Complicated intentions.
4. How long is Tolkien separated from Edith, making his affection for her grow stronger?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) One year.
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elfen and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elven.
(c) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elfen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Tolkien write to Edith during the time they are separated?
2. How does Tolkien think children will respond to <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>" have in common?
4. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
5. What assertion does Tolkien make about <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)