|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
(c) The Nazgul.
2. Who provides input , feedback, and advice for the letters in the book?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) Christopher Tolkien.
(d) Edith Bratt.
3. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) In a car.
(b) In a boat.
(c) On a train.
(d) On a plane.
4. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(b) Industrialized and disciplined.
(c) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(d) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
5. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
(a) The quest for gold.
(b) The quest for power.
(c) A misunderstanding.
(d) A lack of knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the power of the pen, what aspect of fiction writing does Tolkien refer to when explaining his own writing process and the way he invents characters?
2. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
3. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
4. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
5. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)