|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Hobbits respond to magic in Tolkien's stories?
(a) They are amused by it.
(b) They are confused by it.
(c) They try to ignore it.
(d) They are angered by it.
2. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Rayner Unwin.
(b) Milton Waldman.
(c) George Allen.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
3. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too short.
(b) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(c) They do not fit in with the storyline.
(d) They are too long.
4. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
5. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(c) City folk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
2. What is Allen & Unwin?
3. Who participates in the Machine?
4. What is the skill or ability of the Elves'?
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)