|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Machine described in Letter #131?
(a) Disciplined, but not industrialized.
(b) Industrialized, but undisciplined.
(c) Neither disciplined nor industrialized.
(d) Industrialized and disciplined.
2. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
(c) Too many to count.
(d) Only a few.
3. What is causing the culture of the Elves to suffer?
(a) The psychological effects of their immortality.
(b) The lack of resources.
(c) The limited education.
(d) The abundance of different cultures.
4. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and abilities.
(b) His abilities and sense of humor.
(c) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
5. Who provides the main order of the letters included in the book?
(a) Christopher Tolkien.
(b) Edith Bratt.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) J.R.R. Tolkien.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
2. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
3. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
5. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)