|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is misleading.
(b) He thinks it is undefined.
(c) He thinks it is senseless.
(d) He thinks it is amusing.
2. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(b) City folk.
3. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
4. What does Tolkien suggest is the greatest resource for the information the schoolboy is seeking in Letter #114?
(a) The Silmarillion.
(b) Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Hobbit.
5. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(d) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the domestic problems he is having in a letter before he moves to a small house?
2. In what year are the earliest letters in the book written?
3. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
5. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)