|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
2. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
(a) On a train.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a plane.
(d) In a boat.
3. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
4. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
(a) To recreate a world that he had read about as a child.
(b) To fill the English people's need for their own fairy tale.
(c) To make a world that is completely unbelievable in every way.
(d) To provide an example for how a society should be constructed.
5. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
2. What is Allen & Unwin?
3. How many improvements does Tolkien indicate he has made to the manuscript for Farmer Giles of Ham?
4. When does the history of the Elves begin?
5. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)