|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter #27, which of the following does Tolkien say that he will leave the drawing of to someone who can draw ?
2. As Tolkien explains in Letter #131, what motivates The Enemy in his stories?
(a) Evil intentions.
(b) Unknown intentions.
(c) Good intentions.
(d) Complicated intentions.
3. Who does Tolkien say are the only people interested in reading his literary works in Letter #115?
(a) C.S. Lewis and his wife.
(b) C.S. Lewis and his son.
(c) Only C.S. Lewis.
(d) Only his wife and son.
4. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
5. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes Farmer Giles of Ham?
(a) That he remove two of the characters.
(b) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(c) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(d) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
Short Answer Questions
1. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
2. How old is J.R.R. Tolkien in the first letter?
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
4. Which of the following is the main thing that separates the Hobbits and the enemy?
5. How does Tolkien design the book, Farmer Giles of Ham?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)