Four Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, JRR Tolkien as The Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) George Allen.
(b) Humphrey Carpenter.
(c) Milton Waldman.
(d) Rayner Unwin.
2. What is Allen & Unwin?
(a) A law firm.
(b) A printing service.
(c) A publishing house.
(d) A bank.
3. What request is made of Tolkien after he finishes <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) That he write more stories to make a large volume.
(b) That he edit some of the book to make it shorter.
(c) That he adds to the ending to make it more complete.
(d) That he remove two of the characters.
4. By what year does Tolkien insist that his books be published with his new publisher?
5. In a letter to W.H. Auden, where does Tolkien reveal his work as a professor originates from?
(a) The recommendation of a friend.
(b) His actual interests.
(c) His value of the English language.
(d) An accidental job interview.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
2. In Letter #131, what reason does Tolkien reveal for creating his alternate world of fiction?
3. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
4. Which one of Tolkien's books explains the history of Elvenkind?
5. What does Tolkien offer to the schoolboy in Letter #114?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)