|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Middle Earth as Fairy-Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
2. Who does Tolkien express gratitude to in Letter #6?
(a) Mrs. C.S. White.
(b) Mrs. E.M. Wright.
(c) Mrs. C.S. Wright.
(d) Mrs. E.M. White.
3. In Letter, #6, to what college subject does Tolkien refer?
(a) English Literature.
(b) Middle English.
4. How does Tolkien think children will respond to <i>Farmer Giles of Ham</i>?
(a) He encourages them not to read it.
(b) They will not like it.
(c) They will not understand it.
(d) They might like it.
5. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant not to be read by children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads The Enemy in Tolkien's stories?
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>" have in common?
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
5. What German word meaning "essential" does Tolkien refer to in Letter #6, stating that it is actually viewed as an English word?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)