|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(b) The endings of the letters.
(c) Months and dates.
(d) Personal information.
2. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) Very little of it.
(b) The majority of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) None of it.
3. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) The water from a specific river.
(b) A certain magical spell.
(c) The power generated from another ring.
(d) A special type of fire.
4. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 10.
(b) Chapter 3.
(c) Chapter 8.
(d) Chapter 5.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
2. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
5. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)