|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
(b) Four times.
(d) Three times.
2. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
(a) A professional illustrator.
(b) A friend.
3. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
4. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
5. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be meant to be read by children.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
2. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
3. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
4. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
5. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)