|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for <i>The Hobbit</i>?
2. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(b) When the Sun has risen and set.
(c) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(d) When the Moon has risen and set.
3. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) A decline of the arts.
(b) An improvement in the arts.
(c) A decline of education.
(d) An improvement in education.
4. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) The power generated from another ring.
(b) The water from a specific river.
(c) A special type of fire.
(d) A certain magical spell.
5. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Advance posters advertising a book.
(b) Chapter summaries for a book.
(c) Advance copies of a printed book.
(d) Reviews for a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the main focal point of <i>The Silmarillion</i>?
2. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
3. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
4. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
5. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)