|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They change the covers based on his opinions.
(b) They request more detailed notes from him.
(c) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(d) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
2. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(c) The Witch-king of Angmar.
3. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
4. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
(a) August and September.
(b) November and December.
(c) February and March.
(d) June and July.
5. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
2. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
3. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
4. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
5. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)