|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least twenty.
(b) At least ten.
(c) Over twenty.
(d) At least one.
2. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He thinks it is terrible.
(b) He is insulted.
(c) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
(d) He is very appreciative.
3. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(a) Both easy and difficult.
(b) Neither easy nor difficult.
4. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
(a) Real life and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
(b) Real life and the writing of an imaginary world.
(c) Fiction and the writing of an imaginary world.
(d) Fiction and the idea of living in an imaginary world.
5. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is amusing.
(b) He thinks it is senseless.
(c) He thinks it is undefined.
(d) He thinks it is misleading.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
2. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
3. According to the information provided in Letter #69, how often does Tolkien write to Christopher?
4. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
5. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)