|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
(b) Getting the books into their published form.
(c) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(d) Rewriting the endings of the books.
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New Hampshire.
(d) New England.
3. What point does Tolkien make about his book, The Silmarillion, in Letter #131?
(a) The themes of the book are intentionally simple.
(b) It is not about humans.
(c) The themes of the book are intentionally complex.
(d) It is about humans.
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf and Elfen.
(b) Elfen and Elven.
(c) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elven.
5. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) The water from a specific river.
(b) A special type of fire.
(c) The power generated from another ring.
(d) A certain magical spell.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
2. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
3. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
4. What two factors contribute to the main part of Letter #66 to Christopher?
5. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)