|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(b) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(c) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
(d) Getting the books into their published form.
2. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all over five pages.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(c) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(d) They are all less than one-page long.
4. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(b) When the Moon has risen and set.
(c) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(d) When the Sun has risen and set.
5. How does Tolkien react to the original cover designs that he is sent for his books?
(a) He is very happy with them.
(b) He likes them overall, but has a few suggestions.
(c) He does not understand them.
(d) He is unhappy with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
2. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
3. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
4. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
5. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)