|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
2. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) The books' reviews.
(b) C.S. Lewis' opinions.
(c) The books' sales.
(d) C.S. Lewis' books.
3. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The department supervisor.
(c) The dean.
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is misleading.
(b) He thinks it is undefined.
(c) He thinks it is amusing.
(d) He thinks it is senseless.
5. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) A decade.
(b) Over a decade.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Four years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about <i>The Hobbit</i>" have in common?
2. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
3. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
4. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
5. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)