|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the time these letters are written, what term do the British typically use to label Americans?
(a) City folk.
2. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
3. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be meant to be read by children.
(c) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
5. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(a) New Hampshire.
(b) New England.
Short Answer Questions
1. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
2. In what month does Tolkien write to Christopher about the writing process for The Hobbit?
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
4. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
5. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)