|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and abilities.
(b) His skills and sense of humor.
(c) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(d) His abilities and sense of humor.
3. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) The Misty Mountains.
(b) The Shire.
(c) Fangorn Forest.
4. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
(b) He misinterpreted the warning.
(c) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(d) He did not take the warning seriously.
5. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(b) They are all over five pages.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
2. What two months are Letters #146, 147, and 148 written in?
3. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
4. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
5. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)