|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
(a) Very little of it.
(b) None of it.
(c) The majority of it.
(d) All of it.
2. How does Tolkien describe the writing of The Hobbit to Christopher?
(c) Both easy and difficult.
(d) Neither easy nor difficult.
3. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
4. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
(a) He thinks they will appreciate his opinion, but not act on it.
(b) He thinks they will become upset by reading his opinion.
(c) He thinks they will agree with his opinion.
(d) He thinks they will ignore his opinion.
5. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To give each other literary criticism.
(b) To discuss sports and politics.
(c) To play games.
(d) To edit each other's manuscripts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
2. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
4. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
5. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)