|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) Writing other books.
(b) His family.
(c) His teaching job.
(d) Writing to the publishers.
2. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
(a) He thinks they will agree with his opinion.
(b) He thinks they will ignore his opinion.
(c) He thinks they will appreciate his opinion, but not act on it.
(d) He thinks they will become upset by reading his opinion.
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elfen.
(c) Elf and Elven.
(d) Elfen and Elven.
4. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Reporting to class on time.
(b) Grading papers.
(c) Talking with students.
(d) Reading academic books.
5. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(b) Months and dates.
(c) The endings of the letters.
(d) Personal information.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
2. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
3. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
4. How many times do the Elves and the Dwarves share an enduring friendship throughout their history?
5. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)