|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too short.
(b) They are too long.
(c) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
2. Where is the man whose accent Tolkien refers to as "English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge" from?
(c) New England.
(d) New Hampshire.
3. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
4. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) The power generated from another ring.
(b) A special type of fire.
(c) The water from a specific river.
(d) A certain magical spell.
5. Which one of the following is a topic of discussion in Letter #150 to Christopher?
(a) The number of books printed.
(b) The number of books sold.
(c) Advertisements for the books.
(d) Maps for the books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
2. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
3. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
4. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
5. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)