|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(a) Too many analogies.
(d) Too many metaphors.
2. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least twenty.
(b) At least one.
(c) At least ten.
(d) Over twenty.
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(b) His abilities and sense of humor.
(c) His skills and abilities.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
4. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) Months and dates.
(b) The endings of the letters.
(c) Personal information.
(d) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
5. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(d) Fairy Tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
2. What is the only thing capable of destroying the Ring in Tolkien's story?
3. How much of The Silmarillion takes place before the arrival of human beings?
4. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
5. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)