|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least ten.
(b) At least twenty.
(c) Over twenty.
(d) At least one.
2. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elven.
(c) Elf and Elfen.
(d) Elfen and Elven.
3. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
(a) Where the Moon has risen and set.
(b) When the Sun has risen and set.
(c) Where the Sun has risen and set.
(d) When the Moon has risen and set.
4. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The dean.
(d) The department supervisor.
5. In general, why do Tolkien and C.S. Lewis meet several times?
(a) To give each other literary criticism.
(b) To play games.
(c) To discuss sports and politics.
(d) To edit each other's manuscripts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does Tolkien write to his publisher with his thoughts on the original cover designs?
2. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
3. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
4. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)