|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant to be read by children.
2. According to his letters, how does Tolkien consider his experience with the publisher about the cover designs?
3. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
(a) A decline of education.
(b) A decline of the arts.
(c) An improvement in the arts.
(d) An improvement in education.
4. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and sense of humor.
(b) His abilities and sense of humor.
(c) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and abilities.
5. When does Tolkien write to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) September 19.
(b) November 9.
(c) September 9.
(d) November 19.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
2. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
3. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
4. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
5. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)