|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Over a decade.
(c) A decade.
(d) Four years.
2. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
(a) He began talking with C.S. Lewis' other friends.
(b) He misinterpreted the warning.
(c) He stopped talking with C.S. Lewis.
(d) He did not take the warning seriously.
3. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(b) Elf and Elven.
(c) Elfen and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elfen.
5. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are transformed into an Elf.
(b) They are given mind powers.
(c) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
(d) They are given immortality.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned by Tolkien in Letter #131, when do the Hobbits first come into being?
2. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
5. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)