|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(b) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(c) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
(d) Getting the books into their published form.
2. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
(d) The Witch-king of Angmar.
3. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
(a) He thinks they will become upset by reading his opinion.
(b) He thinks they will agree with his opinion.
(c) He thinks they will appreciate his opinion, but not act on it.
(d) He thinks they will ignore his opinion.
4. What has Tolkien found in his manuscript when he writes Letter #69?
(b) Too many metaphors.
(d) Too many analogies.
5. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
2. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
3. After the Hobbits originate, where does the Dark Power that Tolkien describes in Letter #131 exist?
4. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
5. What is the result of a friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves, as Tolkien explains in Letter #131?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)