|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the publisher do after reading Tolkien's opinions of the cover designs?
(a) They request more detailed notes from him.
(b) They threaten to stop publishing the books.
(c) They leave the covers as is despite his opinions.
(d) They change the covers based on his opinions.
2. Where does the friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves that Tolkien refers to in Letter #131 take place?
(a) The Misty Mountains.
(b) Fangorn Forest.
(d) The Shire.
3. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
(b) He thinks it is terrible.
(c) He is insulted.
(d) He is very appreciative.
4. As mentioned in Letter #66, why does Tolkien think that he will have to move some of the sections of his book?
(a) They are too long.
(b) They do not have the same writing style as the other sections.
(c) They are too short.
(d) They do not fit in with the storyline.
5. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is senseless.
(b) He thinks it is undefined.
(c) He thinks it is misleading.
(d) He thinks it is amusing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Rings of Power does the One Ring control?
2. As mentioned in a letter to Unwin, how had Tolkien previously responded to the warning about his friendship with C.S. Lewis?
3. What is the first topic discussed in Tolkien's letter to Unwin about C.S. Lewis in "Now the Books Themselves"?
4. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
5. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)