|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Milton Waldman.
(c) Rayner Unwin.
(d) George Allen.
2. What happens to the wearer of the One Ring in Tolkien's story?
(a) They are given immortality.
(b) They are given mind powers.
(c) They are transformed into an Elf.
(d) They are transformed into a Hobbit.
3. How does Tolkien respond to the publisher's actions with the cover designs in "Now the Books Themselves"?
(a) He is unresponsive.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He is thankful.
(d) He is confused.
4. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) Over twenty.
(b) At least twenty.
(c) At least ten.
(d) At least one.
5. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) His teaching job.
(b) Writing other books.
(c) His family.
(d) Writing to the publishers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the conversation about accents take place that Tolkien discusses in his letter to Christopher?
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
3. Which character does Tolkien indicate has gained the most power by wearing the Ring?
4. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)