|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Now the Books Themselves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main subject of Letters #146, 147, and 148?
(a) Rewriting the endings of the books.
(b) Rewriting the beginnings of the books.
(c) Getting enough advance copies of the book available.
(d) Getting the books into their published form.
2. Which of the following is the main focal point of The Silmarillion?
3. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) Humphrey Carpenter.
(b) Milton Waldman.
(c) George Allen.
(d) Rayner Unwin.
4. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all over five pages.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
5. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
2. How many other men are traveling with Tolkien during his conversation about accents?
3. How does Tolkien expect the publisher to respond to his opinions of the cover designs?
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
5. As mentioned in Letter #69, which specific part of his manuscript does Tolkien plan on revising?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)