|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) Months and dates.
(b) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(c) Personal information.
(d) The endings of the letters.
2. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(b) Fairy Tales.
3. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Reading academic books.
(b) Reporting to class on time.
(c) Talking with students.
(d) Grading papers.
4. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Reviews for a book.
(b) Chapter summaries for a book.
(c) Advance copies of a printed book.
(d) Advance posters advertising a book.
5. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant to be read by children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
2. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
3. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
4. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)