|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fiction.
(b) English and Welsh languages.
(c) English Fairy Tales.
(d) English and Welsh.
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be meant to be read by children.
(c) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
3. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
4. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(b) They are never used in real life.
(c) They are seldom used in real life.
(d) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
5. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(a) Fairy Tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
4. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
5. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)