|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(b) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
2. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
3. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is amusing.
(b) He thinks it is senseless.
(c) He thinks it is misleading.
(d) He thinks it is undefined.
4. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
5. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(d) Fairy Tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
2. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
3. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
5. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)