|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 5.
(b) Chapter 10.
(c) Chapter 8.
(d) Chapter 3.
2. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
3. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(b) Personal information.
(c) The endings of the letters.
(d) Months and dates.
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant not to be read by children.
5. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
(b) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(c) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
2. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
5. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)