|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all over five pages.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
2. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
3. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) Over ten pages.
(b) A few thousand words.
(c) Over twenty pages.
(d) A few hundred words.
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant to be read by children.
5. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(b) They are seldom used in real life.
(c) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(d) They are never used in real life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
2. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
3. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
5. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)