|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(c) Three times.
2. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Talking with students.
(b) Grading papers.
(c) Reporting to class on time.
(d) Reading academic books.
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(a) Fairy Tales.
5. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least ten.
(b) At least one.
(c) Over twenty.
(d) At least twenty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
3. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
5. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)