|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
2. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) Writing other books.
(b) His teaching job.
(c) Writing to the publishers.
(d) His family.
3. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is senseless.
(b) He thinks it is amusing.
(c) He thinks it is undefined.
(d) He thinks it is misleading.
4. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
5. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) A few hundred words.
(b) Over ten pages.
(c) Over twenty pages.
(d) A few thousand words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
2. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
4. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
5. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)