|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(b) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(d) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
2. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Talking with students.
(b) Reporting to class on time.
(c) Reading academic books.
(d) Grading papers.
3. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and sense of humor.
(b) His skills and abilities.
(c) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(d) His abilities and sense of humor.
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
(c) A professional illustrator.
(d) A friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
2. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
4. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
5. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)