|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(a) The department supervisor.
(b) The dean.
2. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Over a decade.
(d) A decade.
3. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
5. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(b) The Hobbit.
(c) The Lord of the Rings.
(d) The Silmarillion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
4. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)