|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Advance copies of a printed book.
(b) Advance posters advertising a book.
(c) Reviews for a book.
(d) Chapter summaries for a book.
2. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) Over ten pages.
(b) A few thousand words.
(c) A few hundred words.
(d) Over twenty pages.
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf and Elven.
(b) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(c) Elfen and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elfen.
4. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be reasoned with.
(b) They could be appreciated.
(c) They could be restrained.
(d) They could be listened to.
5. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least one.
(b) At least twenty.
(c) At least ten.
(d) Over twenty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
2. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
3. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
4. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
5. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)