|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(b) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(c) They are seldom used in real life.
(d) They are never used in real life.
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be meant to be read by children.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
4. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English and Welsh.
(b) English Fairy Tales.
(c) English Fiction.
(d) English and Welsh languages.
5. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(c) Fairy Tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
2. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
3. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
4. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
5. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)