|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 10.
(b) Chapter 5.
(c) Chapter 3.
(d) Chapter 8.
2. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) Over twenty.
(b) At least one.
(c) At least ten.
(d) At least twenty.
3. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
4. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
(a) Professor Forster and Hugo Dyson.
(b) Professor Forster and Mrs. Drijver.
(c) Professor Forster, Mrs. Drijver, and Hugo Dyson.
(d) Mrs. Drijver and Hugo Dyson.
5. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be appreciated.
(b) They could be restrained.
(c) They could be listened to.
(d) They could be reasoned with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
2. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
3. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)