|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the alteration he is contemplating making to his manuscript in Letter #128?
2. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
(a) Personal information.
(b) Months and dates.
(c) The full names of the people that the letters are addressed to.
(d) The endings of the letters.
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They are all less than one-page long.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(c) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(d) They are all over five pages.
4. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
5. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is curious.
(b) He is delighted.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is offended.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does C.S. Lewis use the name Numenor in one of his stories?
2. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
3. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
4. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
5. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)