|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be meant to be read by children.
3. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
(a) Professor Forster, Mrs. Drijver, and Hugo Dyson.
(b) Mrs. Drijver and Hugo Dyson.
(c) Professor Forster and Hugo Dyson.
(d) Professor Forster and Mrs. Drijver.
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf and Elfen.
(b) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(c) Elf and Elven.
(d) Elfen and Elven.
5. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
(a) Logical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(b) Logical and not easily translated between languages.
(c) Illogical, but subjectively translated between languages.
(d) Illogical and not easily translated between languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
2. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
3. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
4. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
5. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)