|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is offended.
(c) He is curious.
(d) He is delighted.
2. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 8.
(b) Chapter 10.
(c) Chapter 3.
(d) Chapter 5.
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
(a) Over a decade.
(b) A decade.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Four years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
2. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
3. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
4. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
5. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)