|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
2. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fiction.
(b) English Fairy Tales.
(c) English and Welsh languages.
(d) English and Welsh.
3. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Grading papers.
(b) Talking with students.
(c) Reading academic books.
(d) Reporting to class on time.
4. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and sense of humor.
(b) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(c) His abilities and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and abilities.
5. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(c) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
2. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
3. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
4. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
5. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)