|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
(a) The Hobbit.
(b) Farmer Giles of Ham.
(c) The Silmarillion.
(d) The Lord of the Rings.
2. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
3. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He is very appreciative.
(b) He thinks it is terrible.
(c) He is insulted.
(d) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
4. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
5. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
2. How much time has passed between Tolkien's initial idea for drawing maps and when it becomes an issue with a publisher?
3. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
4. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
5. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)