|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Chapter summaries for a book.
(b) Advance posters advertising a book.
(c) Reviews for a book.
(d) Advance copies of a printed book.
2. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
(a) He thinks it is undefined.
(b) He thinks it is senseless.
(c) He thinks it is misleading.
(d) He thinks it is amusing.
3. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be restrained.
(b) They could be reasoned with.
(c) They could be listened to.
(d) They could be appreciated.
4. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of <i>The Lord of the Rings</i>?
(b) A professional illustrator.
(d) A friend.
5. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) His teaching job.
(b) His family.
(c) Writing to the publishers.
(d) Writing other books.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
2. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
3. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
4. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
5. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)