|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the familiar recipients of the letters of the 1960s that are included in "Later Years"?
(a) Christopher, Edith, and Rayner Unwin.
(b) Christopher and Rayner Unwin.
(c) Christopher and Edith Unwin.
(d) Edith and Rayner Unwin.
2. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is offended.
(b) He is curious.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is delighted.
3. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(a) Fairy Tales.
4. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(a) Three times.
5. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) A few hundred words.
(b) Over ten pages.
(c) A few thousand words.
(d) Over twenty pages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
2. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
3. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
4. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
5. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)