|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does Tolkien write a long letter to Jane Neave that is included in "Later Years"?
2. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
(a) At least one.
(b) At least twenty.
(c) Over twenty.
(d) At least ten.
3. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
4. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
(a) They could be listened to.
(b) They could be appreciated.
(c) They could be reasoned with.
(d) They could be restrained.
5. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
(a) Professor Forster and Mrs. Drijver.
(b) Professor Forster and Hugo Dyson.
(c) Professor Forster, Mrs. Drijver, and Hugo Dyson.
(d) Mrs. Drijver and Hugo Dyson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
2. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
3. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
4. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
5. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)