|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) George Allen.
(b) Rayner Unwin.
(c) Humphrey Carpenter.
(d) Milton Waldman.
2. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and abilities.
(b) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(c) His abilities and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
3. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
(a) A few hundred words.
(b) Over twenty pages.
(c) A few thousand words.
(d) Over ten pages.
4. Which new names are among the recipients of the 1960s letters included in "Later Years"?
(a) Professor Forster and Mrs. Drijver.
(b) Professor Forster and Hugo Dyson.
(c) Mrs. Drijver and Hugo Dyson.
(d) Professor Forster, Mrs. Drijver, and Hugo Dyson.
5. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
(b) A friend.
(c) A professional illustrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
2. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
3. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
4. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
5. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)