|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
(a) They refer to Tolkien's most well known works.
(b) They refer to Tolkien's least known works.
(c) They are all less than one-page long.
(d) They are all over five pages.
2. Which one of the following does Tolkien vigorously discuss in his letters?
(a) Grading papers.
(b) Talking with students.
(c) Reporting to class on time.
(d) Reading academic books.
3. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 8.
(b) Chapter 5.
(c) Chapter 3.
(d) Chapter 10.
4. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
(a) They are the opposite of an actual real life language.
(b) They are never used in real life.
(c) They are a combination of two real-life languages.
(d) They are seldom used in real life.
5. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
(a) Elf and Elven.
(b) Elf, Elfen, and Elven.
(c) Elfen and Elven.
(d) Elf and Elfen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
2. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
3. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
4. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
5. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)