|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(b) The dean.
(c) The department supervisor.
2. Who is the person that Tolkien thanks, and is the recipient of Letter #130?
(a) George Allen.
(b) Milton Waldman.
(c) Rayner Unwin.
(d) Humphrey Carpenter.
3. Whom does Tolkien originally ask to draw maps for the imaginary world of The Lord of the Rings?
(b) A friend.
(c) A professional illustrator.
4. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
(a) Writing other books.
(b) His teaching job.
(c) His family.
(d) Writing to the publishers.
5. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
(a) Chapter 8.
(b) Chapter 3.
(c) Chapter 10.
(d) Chapter 5.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, what is the length of the longest letters included in the book?
2. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
3. What do the letters selected for "To Unwin about The Hobbit" have in common?
4. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
5. What is left out of the letters included in "To Unwin about The Hobbit"?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)