|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Tolkien's lecture that is included in an academic journal?
(a) English Fairy Tales.
(b) English and Welsh languages.
(c) English Fiction.
(d) English and Welsh.
2. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
(d) Three times.
3. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
(a) Chapter summaries for a book.
(b) Advance copies of a printed book.
(c) Reviews for a book.
(d) Advance posters advertising a book.
4. Under what conditions is Tolkien asked to chair an English department in "The Professor"?
5. What subject is a student's thesis about that Tolkien expects to find boring?
(a) Fairy Tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many academic articles is Tolkien a writer for, as referred to in "The Professor"?
2. What words does Tolkien use to replace "Elves"?
3. In Letter #227, how does Tolkien explain the name, Numenor?
4. Which novel was being made into a paperback, prompting the debate over spelling in Letter #236?
5. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)