|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolkien respond to C.S. Lewis' use of the name Numenor in one of his stories?
(a) He is curious.
(b) He is delighted.
(c) He is offended.
(d) He is confused.
2. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
3. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
4. How does Tolkien respond to the idea of chairing the English department?
(a) He thinks it is terrible.
(b) He is very appreciative.
(c) He is insulted.
(d) He does not entirely understand why he was selected.
5. How does Tolkien categorize the attempts made to change his spellings in Letter #236?
(a) Intentionally offensive.
(b) Largely misguided.
(c) Somewhat misguided.
(d) Unintentionally offensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
2. What chapter of the book that Tolkien is working on is he considering altering in Letter #128?
3. What does Tolkien focus on when his books make less than anticipated progress with publishers?
4. As stated in "The Professor," when are The Lord of the Rings books officially published?
5. How long does Tolkien indicate he has been working with the imaginary realms in Letter #130?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)