|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Later Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolkien explain he uses in developing his fascination with imaginary worlds?
(a) His skills and abilities.
(b) His abilities and sense of humor.
(c) His skills, abilities, and sense of humor.
(d) His skills and sense of humor.
2. What will the alteration mean for the book Tolkien is writing in Letter #128?
(a) It will be meant not to be read by children.
(b) It will be designed not to have a sequel.
(c) It will be meant to be read by children.
(d) It will be designed to have a sequel.
3. How does Tolkien describe the change that he has made to his manuscript in Letter #129?
4. With whom does Tolkien work in order to avoid the responsibilities of chairing the English department?
(c) The department supervisor.
(d) The dean.
5. How does Tolkien feel when he looks at his work in the revision stages?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolkien wish for "well-meaning folk who think they know" in Letter #236?
2. In Letter #130, what distinction does Tolkien make about the artificial languages he creates for his books?
3. What is the term "galleys" used to refer to in "The Professor"?
4. How does Tolkien consider the term "Elves"?
5. Besides his complaint in "Later Years", how many other times in the book so far has Tolkien complained about the spelling changes made by the editorial staff of a publishing company?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)