Chapter 1, Edith Bratt
* Humphrey Carpenter and Christopher Tolkien assemble a collection of J.R.R. Tolkien's letters from 1914 to 1973.
* Tolkien is twenty-one-years old as he attends Oxford University and writes to his girlfriend, Edith Bratt about their relationship.
Chapter 2, From a Letter to Christopher Tolkien
* Tolkien recounts a story to Christopher about his traveling with two men and comments on American accents.
* In another letter to Christopher, Tolkien describes the process for writing and editing The Hobbit.
Chapter 3, Allen & Unwin
* Allen & Unwin agree to publish Farmer Giles of Ham but request more stories from Tolkien to make up a larger volume.
* Tolkien directs a schoolboy to his other novels as a source of background information for his fictional world.
Chapter 4, To Unwin about The Hobbit
* By changing Chapter 5 of his current manuscript, Tolkien establishes a clear possibility for a sequel to his work.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)