|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
2. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
3. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
4. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
5. What else does Peter the Venerable say he is impressed by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
Essay Topic 2
What is the power of prayer supposed to be in these letters? Are the letters themselves prayers? How is prayer distinct from these letters?
Essay Topic 3
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)