|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
2. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
3. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
4. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
5. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the opposition Abelard and Heloise faced throughout their marriage. How would you characterize their enemies? What were they bent on, and why did they oppose Abelard and Heloise? Why did they take the tactics they took, in opposing them? What made harsher or more lenient tactics less preferable?
Essay Topic 2
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
Essay Topic 3
Peter the Venerable's letter to the pope is the first interjection from outside of Abelard and Heloise. What is Peter the Venerable's role in this epistolary conversation? What is his authority in this relationship? How does his appearance change the correspondence?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)