|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
2. What does Abelard say about the daughters of Aaron?
3. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
4. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
5. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated map of the places where Abelard and Heloise's story unfolded, including Abelard's late travels. What does the map show us about the story? How did the landscape and geography affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
Essay Topic 3
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)