|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
2. What does Peter the Venerable say is his estimation of Abelard?
3. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
4. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
5. What was Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
Essay Topic 2
Make an annotated map of the places where Abelard and Heloise's story unfolded, including Abelard's late travels. What does the map show us about the story? How did the landscape and geography affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the story of Abelard and Heloise as a love story. Is it compelling, tragic, uplifting, unique? Is it an allegory for all lovers or a historical document pertaining to two people alone?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)