|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
2. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
3. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
4. What did Abelard do in the place Peter the Venerable sent him?
5. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reading the text closely, describe Abelard and Heloise. What do we know about them based not only on what they tell us, but their style of writing as well?
Essay Topic 2
What is the effect of the letters between Abelard and Heloise? Describe the consequences of their correspondence, in terms of their own lives, and in terms of the lives of the monks and nuns they knew, and in terms of the monastic order.
Essay Topic 3
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)