|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
2. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
3. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
4. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
5. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 2
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)