|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
2. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
3. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
4. How would you describe Abelard's method of arranging Letter 7?
5. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the story of Abelard and Heloise as a love story. Is it compelling, tragic, uplifting, unique? Is it an allegory for all lovers or a historical document pertaining to two people alone?
Essay Topic 2
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
Essay Topic 3
How would the letters of Abelard and Heloise be written today? How would modern communication technology change the emotional tenor of this correspondence? What parts would remain trenchant? What parts would be lost?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)