|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
2. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
3. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
4. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
5. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
Essay Topic 2
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
Essay Topic 3
Peter the Venerable's letter to the pope is the first interjection from outside of Abelard and Heloise. What is Peter the Venerable's role in this epistolary conversation? What is his authority in this relationship? How does his appearance change the correspondence?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)