|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
2. What was Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable's letter?
3. Where does God look for virtue, according to Heloise?
4. How would you describe Abelard's method of arranging Letter 7?
5. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of the letters of Abelard and Heloise. By what mechanisms were they transmitted to posterity? Who made sure that these letters survived? Were they ever in danger of being lost? What value do written texts have to Abelard and Heloise and their culture? What makes the written absolution important? What provision is made for the preservation of textual culture?
Essay Topic 2
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Prepare an argument for or against the proposition that the best way for wealthy people to gain virtue is to give up their possessions and practice poverty.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)