|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
2. What should nuns primarily think about, according to Abelard?
3. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
4. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
5. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
Essay Topic 2
Peter the Venerable's letter to the pope is the first interjection from outside of Abelard and Heloise. What is Peter the Venerable's role in this epistolary conversation? What is his authority in this relationship? How does his appearance change the correspondence?
Essay Topic 3
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)