|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
2. How would you describe Abelard's method of arranging Letter 7?
3. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
4. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
5. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the outside world on the story of Abelard and Heloise? Where does it figure in their letters, and how does it affect their story? How does French monastic and political history appear to us through the lens of these letters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the letters between Abelard and Heloise and describe the degree to which Abelard and Heloise are French. What constitutes their Frenchness? Where is the site of their strongest identification? How do they express their relation to territory?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)