|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
2. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
3. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
4. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
5. What did Abelard do right before he died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the benefits of the Rules Abelard prescribes for Heloise and her nuns. What are the direct and indirect benefits of the Rules? Who benefits by them? How are the benefits reckoned, and are there other ways to look at the virtues of the Rules?
Essay Topic 3
What is the power of prayer supposed to be in these letters? Are the letters themselves prayers? How is prayer distinct from these letters?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)