|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Peter the Venerable?
2. What does Heloise say about her burden?
3. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
4. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
5. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
Essay Topic 2
How would the letters of Abelard and Heloise be written today? How would modern communication technology change the emotional tenor of this correspondence? What parts would remain trenchant? What parts would be lost?
Essay Topic 3
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)