|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
2. Whom does Abelard say Jesus honored?
3. What is the tone of the first part of Letter 9?
4. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
5. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the outside world on the story of Abelard and Heloise? Where does it figure in their letters, and how does it affect their story? How does French monastic and political history appear to us through the lens of these letters?
Essay Topic 2
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
Essay Topic 3
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)