|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
2. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
3. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
4. What does Peter the Venerable say Abelard's last days with him were devoted to?
5. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
Essay Topic 3
What is the effect of the letters between Abelard and Heloise? Describe the consequences of their correspondence, in terms of their own lives, and in terms of the lives of the monks and nuns they knew, and in terms of the monastic order.
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)