|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
2. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
3. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
4. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
5. What does Abelard say about the daughters of Aaron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the letters between Abelard and Heloise and describe the degree to which Abelard and Heloise are French. What constitutes their Frenchness? Where is the site of their strongest identification? How do they express their relation to territory?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the outside world on the story of Abelard and Heloise? Where does it figure in their letters, and how does it affect their story? How does French monastic and political history appear to us through the lens of these letters?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)