|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
2. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
3. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
4. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
5. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 2
What does The Letters of Abelard and Heloise tell us about being male or female? How does the text represent masculinity and femininity? What are the roles appropriate to either gender? How do Abelard and Heloise define the differences? Where do they overlap?
Essay Topic 3
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)