Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
2. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
3. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
4. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
Research the history of the letters of Abelard and Heloise. By what mechanisms were they transmitted to posterity? Who made sure that these letters survived? Were they ever in danger of being lost? What value do written texts have to Abelard and Heloise and their culture? What makes the written absolution important? What provision is made for the preservation of textual culture?
Make an annotated map of the places where Abelard and Heloise's story unfolded, including Abelard's late travels. What does the map show us about the story? How did the landscape and geography affect the story?
Analyze the letters between Abelard and Heloise and describe the degree to which Abelard and Heloise are French. What constitutes their Frenchness? Where is the site of their strongest identification? How do they express their relation to territory?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)