|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
2. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
3. What did Abelard do in the place Peter the Venerable sent him?
4. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
5. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
Essay Topic 2
How would the letters of Abelard and Heloise be written today? How would modern communication technology change the emotional tenor of this correspondence? What parts would remain trenchant? What parts would be lost?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the opposition Abelard and Heloise faced throughout their marriage. How would you characterize their enemies? What were they bent on, and why did they oppose Abelard and Heloise? Why did they take the tactics they took, in opposing them? What made harsher or more lenient tactics less preferable?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)