|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
2. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
3. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
4. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
5. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the opposition Abelard and Heloise faced throughout their marriage. How would you characterize their enemies? What were they bent on, and why did they oppose Abelard and Heloise? Why did they take the tactics they took, in opposing them? What made harsher or more lenient tactics less preferable?
Essay Topic 2
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
Essay Topic 3
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)