|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
2. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
3. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
4. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
5. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the story of Abelard and Heloise as a love story. Is it compelling, tragic, uplifting, unique? Is it an allegory for all lovers or a historical document pertaining to two people alone?
Essay Topic 2
Reading the text closely, describe Abelard and Heloise. What do we know about them based not only on what they tell us, but their style of writing as well?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the opposition Abelard and Heloise faced throughout their marriage. How would you characterize their enemies? What were they bent on, and why did they oppose Abelard and Heloise? Why did they take the tactics they took, in opposing them? What made harsher or more lenient tactics less preferable?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)