|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that ultimately pleases God, according to Heloise?
2. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
3. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
4. What did Abelard do right before he died?
5. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 2
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the outside world on the story of Abelard and Heloise? Where does it figure in their letters, and how does it affect their story? How does French monastic and political history appear to us through the lens of these letters?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)