|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
2. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
3. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
4. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of the letters of Abelard and Heloise. By what mechanisms were they transmitted to posterity? Who made sure that these letters survived? Were they ever in danger of being lost? What value do written texts have to Abelard and Heloise and their culture? What makes the written absolution important? What provision is made for the preservation of textual culture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
Essay Topic 3
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)