Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
2. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
3. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
4. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
Essay Topic 1
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the outside world on the story of Abelard and Heloise? Where does it figure in their letters, and how does it affect their story? How does French monastic and political history appear to us through the lens of these letters?
Essay Topic 3
What does The Letters of Abelard and Heloise tell us about being male or female? How does the text represent masculinity and femininity? What are the roles appropriate to either gender? How do Abelard and Heloise define the differences? Where do they overlap?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)