|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard define poverty?
2. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
3. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
4. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
5. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the story of Abelard and Heloise as a love story. Is it compelling, tragic, uplifting, unique? Is it an allegory for all lovers or a historical document pertaining to two people alone?
Essay Topic 2
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the benefits of the Rules Abelard prescribes for Heloise and her nuns. What are the direct and indirect benefits of the Rules? Who benefits by them? How are the benefits reckoned, and are there other ways to look at the virtues of the Rules?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)