Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
2. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
3. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
4. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of the letters of Abelard and Heloise. By what mechanisms were they transmitted to posterity? Who made sure that these letters survived? Were they ever in danger of being lost? What value do written texts have to Abelard and Heloise and their culture? What makes the written absolution important? What provision is made for the preservation of textual culture?
Essay Topic 2
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 3
How would the letters of Abelard and Heloise be written today? How would modern communication technology change the emotional tenor of this correspondence? What parts would remain trenchant? What parts would be lost?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)