|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
2. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
3. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
4. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of the letters of Abelard and Heloise. By what mechanisms were they transmitted to posterity? Who made sure that these letters survived? Were they ever in danger of being lost? What value do written texts have to Abelard and Heloise and their culture? What makes the written absolution important? What provision is made for the preservation of textual culture?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the outside world on the story of Abelard and Heloise? Where does it figure in their letters, and how does it affect their story? How does French monastic and political history appear to us through the lens of these letters?
Essay Topic 3
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)