|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
2. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
3. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
4. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
5. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the God to whom Abelard and Heloise show their devotion. What does he want, how does he behave, and what kind of behavior does he encourage in human beings? Does he ever respond to their prayers? How, or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the benefits of the Rules Abelard prescribes for Heloise and her nuns. What are the direct and indirect benefits of the Rules? Who benefits by them? How are the benefits reckoned, and are there other ways to look at the virtues of the Rules?
Essay Topic 3
Prepare an argument for or against the proposition that the best way for wealthy people to gain virtue is to give up their possessions and practice poverty.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)