|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
2. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
3. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
4. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
5. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
2. Why does Abelard say he was avoiding contact with Heloise?
3. Where does Abelard say his sufferings came from?
4. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
5. What caused the author of Letter 9to write the letter?
6. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
7. What does Heloise say about virtue?
8. Why does Heloise say there should be different standards for women?
9. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
10. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the power of prayer supposed to be in these letters? Are the letters themselves prayers? How is prayer distinct from these letters?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the opposition Abelard and Heloise faced throughout their marriage. How would you characterize their enemies? What were they bent on, and why did they oppose Abelard and Heloise? Why did they take the tactics they took, in opposing them? What made harsher or more lenient tactics less preferable?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)