|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard remind Heloise he did when she was pregnant?
2. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
3. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
4. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
5. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abelard say is the purpose of monastic life?
2. How does Abelard say errors must be corrected?
3. What happened after Abelard asked for a public transfer to the abbey from which he wrote the current letter?
4. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
5. List a few examples Abelard uses of women serving Christianity.
6. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
7. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
8. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
9. Why does Abelard say in Letter 5 he filled Heloise with distress in his previous letter?
10. To what does Heloise appeal, in Letter 6, in justifying her argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reading the text closely, describe Abelard and Heloise. What do we know about them based not only on what they tell us, but their style of writing as well?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the God to whom Abelard and Heloise show their devotion. What does he want, how does he behave, and what kind of behavior does he encourage in human beings? Does he ever respond to their prayers? How, or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)