|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
2. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
3. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
4. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
5. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Abelard's advice with regard to scripture?
2. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
3. What sources does Abelard use in prescribing his rule to Heloise in Letter 8?
4. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
5. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
6. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in his last letter?
7. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
8. What does Abelard say he wants Heloise to do in case of his death?
9. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
10. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the power of prayer supposed to be in these letters? Are the letters themselves prayers? How is prayer distinct from these letters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the God to whom Abelard and Heloise show their devotion. What does he want, how does he behave, and what kind of behavior does he encourage in human beings? Does he ever respond to their prayers? How, or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the letters between Abelard and Heloise and describe the degree to which Abelard and Heloise are French. What constitutes their Frenchness? Where is the site of their strongest identification? How do they express their relation to territory?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)