|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
2. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
3. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
4. Where was Abelard born?
5. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
2. How does Heloise compare Abelard and God?
3. Describe the conditions of Abelard's death.
4. What sources does Abelard use in prescribing his rule to Heloise in Letter 8?
5. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
6. Describe Abelard's relationship with William of Champeaux.
7. What does Heloise say about answering Abelard's requests of her?
8. What does Abelard ask Heloise to stop doing in the future?
9. What reason does Abelard give for writing to Heloise again in Letter 5?
10. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated map of the places where Abelard and Heloise's story unfolded, including Abelard's late travels. What does the map show us about the story? How did the landscape and geography affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Prepare an argument for or against the proposition that the best way for wealthy people to gain virtue is to give up their possessions and practice poverty.
Essay Topic 3
Research the history of the letters of Abelard and Heloise. By what mechanisms were they transmitted to posterity? Who made sure that these letters survived? Were they ever in danger of being lost? What value do written texts have to Abelard and Heloise and their culture? What makes the written absolution important? What provision is made for the preservation of textual culture?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)