|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
2. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
3. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
4. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
5. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abelard ask Heloise and her nuns to do?
2. What are the three parts of Abelard's rule?
3. What does Heloise say about her burdens in Letter 6?
4. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
5. What does Heloise say about virtue?
6. Describe Abelard's arguments in favor of an abbess in charge of the convent.
7. What does Heloise ask at the end of Letter 6?
8. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
9. Describe what Fulbert's family did to Abelard.
10. Why does Abelard say he was avoiding contact with Heloise?
Essay Topic 1
Describe who would find this work interesting and useful, and describe as well what uses this book could be put to? What questions does it answer? Are the letters of Abelard and Heloise artwork, philosophy, church history, or personal correspondence? Which predominates?
Essay Topic 2
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the opposition Abelard and Heloise faced throughout their marriage. How would you characterize their enemies? What were they bent on, and why did they oppose Abelard and Heloise? Why did they take the tactics they took, in opposing them? What made harsher or more lenient tactics less preferable?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)