|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
3. Where did Abelard study?
4. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
5. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abelard end Letter 7?
2. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
3. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
4. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
5. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
6. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
7. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
8. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
9. What does Heloise ask Abelard at the end of Letter 2?
10. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
Essay Topic 1
Peter the Venerable's letter to the pope is the first interjection from outside of Abelard and Heloise. What is Peter the Venerable's role in this epistolary conversation? What is his authority in this relationship? How does his appearance change the correspondence?
Essay Topic 2
Reading the text closely, describe Abelard and Heloise. What do we know about them based not only on what they tell us, but their style of writing as well?
Essay Topic 3
How would the letters of Abelard and Heloise be written today? How would modern communication technology change the emotional tenor of this correspondence? What parts would remain trenchant? What parts would be lost?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)