|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
3. Where did Abelard study?
4. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
5. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abelard end Letter 7?
2. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
3. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
4. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
5. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
6. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
7. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
8. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
9. What does Heloise ask Abelard at the end of Letter 2?
10. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 2
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the benefits of the Rules Abelard prescribes for Heloise and her nuns. What are the direct and indirect benefits of the Rules? Who benefits by them? How are the benefits reckoned, and are there other ways to look at the virtues of the Rules?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)