|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
2. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
3. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
4. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
5. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Heloise ask at the end of Letter 6?
2. What are the three parts of Abelard's rule?
3. What caused the author of Letter 9to write the letter?
4. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
5. Where does Abelard say his sufferings came from?
6. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
7. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
8. What does Peter the Venerable send to Heloise in the final letter?
9. How does Heloise surprise Abelard in Letter 4, and what does he do in response in Letter 5?
10. What does Heloise say about virtue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 2
What is the effect of the letters between Abelard and Heloise? Describe the consequences of their correspondence, in terms of their own lives, and in terms of the lives of the monks and nuns they knew, and in terms of the monastic order.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the letters between Abelard and Heloise and describe the degree to which Abelard and Heloise are French. What constitutes their Frenchness? Where is the site of their strongest identification? How do they express their relation to territory?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)