Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
3. Where did Abelard study?
4. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
5. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abelard end Letter 7?
2. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
3. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
4. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
5. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
6. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
7. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
8. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
9. What does Heloise ask Abelard at the end of Letter 2?
10. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
Essay Topic 1
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
Essay Topic 2
Research the history of the letters of Abelard and Heloise. By what mechanisms were they transmitted to posterity? Who made sure that these letters survived? Were they ever in danger of being lost? What value do written texts have to Abelard and Heloise and their culture? What makes the written absolution important? What provision is made for the preservation of textual culture?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the letters between Abelard and Heloise and describe the degree to which Abelard and Heloise are French. What constitutes their Frenchness? Where is the site of their strongest identification? How do they express their relation to territory?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)