|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say Heloise deserves?
2. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
3. In Letter 4, for what does Heloise say she is grateful?
4. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
5. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
2. What happened after Abelard asked for a public transfer to the abbey from which he wrote the current letter?
3. What does Heloise say about her burdens in Letter 6?
4. What does Abelard remind Heloise of in Letter 5?
5. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
6. How does Heloise surprise Abelard in Letter 4, and what does he do in response in Letter 5?
7. What are the three parts of Abelard's rule?
8. Describe Abelard's arguments in favor of an abbess in charge of the convent.
9. How does Abelard say errors must be corrected?
10. What does Heloise say about virtue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the letters between Abelard and Heloise and describe the degree to which Abelard and Heloise are French. What constitutes their Frenchness? Where is the site of their strongest identification? How do they express their relation to territory?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the outside world on the story of Abelard and Heloise? Where does it figure in their letters, and how does it affect their story? How does French monastic and political history appear to us through the lens of these letters?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)