|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
2. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
3. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
4. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
5. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abelard's relationship with William of Champeaux.
2. What does Abelard ask Heloise and her nuns to do?
3. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
4. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
5. What does Abelard remind Heloise of in Letter 5?
6. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
7. In Letter 4, why does Heloise say she is disappointed with Abelard's response?
8. What does Abelard say is the purpose of monastic life?
9. To what does Heloise appeal, in Letter 6, in justifying her argument?
10. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Analyze the letters between Abelard and Heloise and describe the degree to which Abelard and Heloise are French. What constitutes their Frenchness? Where is the site of their strongest identification? How do they express their relation to territory?
Essay Topic 2Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
Essay Topic 3What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)