|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter 4, what does Heloise say her feelings are in response to Abelard's letter?
2. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
3. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
4. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
5. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occasioned Heloise's letter to Abelard?
2. What does the author of Letter 9 ask of his correspondent?
3. What does Abelard remind Heloise of in Letter 5?
4. Describe Abelard's arguments in favor of an abbess in charge of the convent.
5. What reason does Abelard give for writing to Heloise again in Letter 5?
6. Describe what Fulbert's family did to Abelard.
7. What does Heloise say about answering Abelard's requests of her?
8. What contrast does Abelard draw with women's practices and men's?
9. Why does the author of Letter 9 say Abelard retreated to Cluny?
10. How does Heloise compare Abelard and God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does The Letters of Abelard and Heloise tell us about being male or female? How does the text represent masculinity and femininity? What are the roles appropriate to either gender? How do Abelard and Heloise define the differences? Where do they overlap?
Essay Topic 2
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated map of the places where Abelard and Heloise's story unfolded, including Abelard's late travels. What does the map show us about the story? How did the landscape and geography affect the story?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)