|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
3. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
4. In Letter 4, what does Heloise say her feelings are in response to Abelard's letter?
5. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Fulbert's family did to Abelard.
2. In Letter 4, why does Heloise say she is disappointed with Abelard's response?
3. How does Abelard say errors must be corrected?
4. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
5. How does Heloise compare Abelard and God?
6. What occasioned Heloise's letter to Abelard?
7. Describe the conditions of Abelard's death.
8. What does Heloise say about her burdens in Letter 6?
9. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
10. Why does Heloise say there should be different standards for women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the benefits of the Rules Abelard prescribes for Heloise and her nuns. What are the direct and indirect benefits of the Rules? Who benefits by them? How are the benefits reckoned, and are there other ways to look at the virtues of the Rules?
Essay Topic 2
What does 'love' mean to Abelard and Heloise? How do their letters--and their actions--define it?
Essay Topic 3
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)