|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
2. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
3. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
4. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
5. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abelard assure to Heloise in Letter 3?
2. What is Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable?
3. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
4. What intercession does the author of Letter 9 want to make?
5. What sources does Abelard use in prescribing his rule to Heloise in Letter 8?
6. What are the three parts of Abelard's rule?
7. What happened after Abelard asked for a public transfer to the abbey from which he wrote the current letter?
8. How is Letter 7 organized?
9. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
10. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the God to whom Abelard and Heloise show their devotion. What does he want, how does he behave, and what kind of behavior does he encourage in human beings? Does he ever respond to their prayers? How, or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Make an annotated timeline that shows the events that led up to the story Abelard and Heloise relate between themselves. What other events were taking place in the world around Abelard and Heloise at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Reading the text closely, describe Abelard and Heloise. What do we know about them based not only on what they tell us, but their style of writing as well?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)