|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
2. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
3. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
4. Where was Abelard born?
5. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
2. What sources does Abelard use in prescribing his rule to Heloise in Letter 8?
3. Why does Heloise say there should be different standards for women?
4. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
5. Describe Abelard's relationship with William of Champeaux.
6. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
7. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
8. Why does Abelard say he was avoiding contact with Heloise?
9. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
10. List a few examples Abelard uses of women serving Christianity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prepare an argument for or against the proposition that the best way for wealthy people to gain virtue is to give up their possessions and practice poverty.
Essay Topic 2
What is the effect of the letters between Abelard and Heloise? Describe the consequences of their correspondence, in terms of their own lives, and in terms of the lives of the monks and nuns they knew, and in terms of the monastic order.
Essay Topic 3
How would Abelard and Heloise answer Nietzsche's claim that Christian morality is slave morality that celebrates the weakness of the followers as against the master morality that celebrates the strength of the masters?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)