|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
2. What does Heloise say will prevent her from praying for Abelard?
3. What does Abelard say is a danger to Heloise's body?
4. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
5. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
2. Describe Abelard's arguments in favor of an abbess in charge of the convent.
3. Describe what Fulbert's family did to Abelard.
4. What is Abelard's advice with regard to scripture?
5. What does Abelard say is the purpose of monastic life?
6. Describe the conditions of Abelard's death.
7. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
8. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
9. What reason does Abelard give for writing to Heloise again in Letter 5?
10. What does Abelard say he wants Heloise to do in case of his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of class status in The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. In what ways does Abelard and Heloise's class status affect their story? How would this story be different if they were poor from the outset?
Essay Topic 2
Reading the text closely, describe Abelard and Heloise. What do we know about them based not only on what they tell us, but their style of writing as well?
Essay Topic 3
How would the letters of Abelard and Heloise be written today? How would modern communication technology change the emotional tenor of this correspondence? What parts would remain trenchant? What parts would be lost?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)