|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
2. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
3. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
4. What does Abelard remind Heloise he did when she was pregnant?
5. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard at the end of Letter 2?
2. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
3. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
4. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
5. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
6. In Letter 2, what does Heloise say her motive for writing was?
7. What contrast does Abelard draw with women's practices and men's?
8. What does Heloise say she did on Abelard's sake?
9. What does Heloise say about virtue?
10. Describe the conditions of Abelard's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reading the text closely, describe Abelard and Heloise. What do we know about them based not only on what they tell us, but their style of writing as well?
Essay Topic 2
Peter the Venerable's letter to the pope is the first interjection from outside of Abelard and Heloise. What is Peter the Venerable's role in this epistolary conversation? What is his authority in this relationship? How does his appearance change the correspondence?
Essay Topic 3
What is the power of prayer supposed to be in these letters? Are the letters themselves prayers? How is prayer distinct from these letters?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)