|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
2. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
3. What does Heloise say, in Letter 4, she cannot find?
4. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
5. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What intercession does the author of Letter 9 want to make?
2. What steps does the author of Letter 9 describe Abelard having taken?
3. Why does Heloise say there should be different standards for women?
4. Describe what Fulbert's family did to Abelard.
5. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
6. What does Abelard assure to Heloise in Letter 3?
7. What does Abelard ask Heloise to stop doing in the future?
8. Who was Anselm of Laon and how did he figure in Abelard's career?
9. What does Heloise say about her burdens in Letter 6?
10. What caused the author of Letter 9to write the letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the story of Abelard and Heloise as a love story. Is it compelling, tragic, uplifting, unique? Is it an allegory for all lovers or a historical document pertaining to two people alone?
Essay Topic 2
Reading the text closely, describe Abelard and Heloise. What do we know about them based not only on what they tell us, but their style of writing as well?
Essay Topic 3
What is the power of prayer supposed to be in these letters? Are the letters themselves prayers? How is prayer distinct from these letters?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)