|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
(a) To instruct monks.
(b) To recuperate.
(c) To find a safe refuge.
(d) To have an operation.
2. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
(a) Her request for a reason to keep suffering.
(b) Her request for an end to his sufferings.
(c) Her request for a history of his experience.
(d) Her request for a rule.
3. Whom does Abelard say Jesus honored?
(b) Serving women.
4. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
(b) The oldest gods.
(c) The sun and moon.
(d) The pope.
5. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(b) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
(c) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
(d) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
2. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
3. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
4. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
5. What does Abelard say about the daughters of Aaron?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)