|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
(a) Saints and serving women.
(b) Martyrs and bureaucrats.
(c) Serving women and saints.
(d) Humble women celebrating Christ and current bishops strutting in robes.
2. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
(a) In the Middle Ages.
(b) In Roman times.
(c) In Christ's time.
(d) In antiquity.
3. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
(a) Remove offensive language from his writing.
(b) Stop writing.
(c) Surrender himself.
(d) Recant his writing.
4. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
(a) Lay out acts of devotion for her to perform.
(b) Proscribe rules for her convent.
(c) Free her from the convent.
(d) Write down the history of her misfortunes.
5. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
2. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
3. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
4. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
5. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)