|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
(a) Dependency on the world.
(c) Excess of sin.
(d) Excess of words.
2. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Appeal to the pope.
(b) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(c) Flee the country.
(d) Gather supporters.
3. What does Abelard say about the daughters of Aaron?
(a) They betrayed their brothers' priestly duties.
(b) They took the priestly offices from their brothers.
(c) They excelled their brothers in devotion.
(d) They held priestly office equally with their brothers.
4. What else does Peter the Venerable say he is impressed by?
(a) Heloise's improvements in the monastic system.
(b) Heloise's graceful handling of her difficulties.
(c) Heloise's generosity to the convent.
(d) Heloise's recommendations to the church bureaucracy.
5. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
(a) The Abbot of Citeaux.
(b) The pope.
(d) Anselm of Laon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
2. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
3. When was letter 9 likely written?
4. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
5. For what did Heloise ask Peter the Venerable in her response?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)