|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Appeal to the pope.
(b) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(c) Flee the country.
(d) Gather supporters.
2. Who received Letter 9?
(c) The Abbott of Cluny.
(d) The pope.
3. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
(a) Heloise's background.
(b) Heloise's writings.
(c) Heloise's piety.
(d) Heloise's contrition.
4. What did Abelard do in the place Peter the Venerable sent him?
(a) Continued his studies.
(b) Wrote a book about religion.
(c) Set up a new monastery.
(d) Saw Heloise.
5. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
(b) A sketch of the rule she requested from him.
(c) Her prayers.
(d) Details of her life in the convent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Innocent II?
2. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
3. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
4. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
5. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)