|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
(a) Women who paid a price for falling away from priesthood.
(b) Women honored among Gentiles.
(c) Honored women in antiquity.
(d) Women who implemented church doctrine.
2. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
(a) Punish Abelard's persecutors.
(b) Compensate Abelard for his sufferings.
(c) Stop persecuting Abelard.
(d) Let Abelard live in Cluny.
3. In Letter 8, what does Abelard say women tend to stray toward?
(c) Sensual pleasures.
(d) Earthly distractions.
4. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
(a) A cellaress.
(b) A portress.
(c) A shepherd.
(d) A wardrobe.
5. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
(a) In Christ's time.
(b) In the Middle Ages.
(c) In antiquity.
(d) In Roman times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
2. Who sent Letter 9?
3. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
4. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
5. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)