|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
(a) Free her from the convent.
(b) Proscribe rules for her convent.
(c) Write down the history of her misfortunes.
(d) Lay out acts of devotion for her to perform.
2. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
(b) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
(c) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
(d) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
3. How does Abelard define poverty?
(a) Wealth in divine possessions.
(b) Lack of property.
(d) Refusal to own property.
4. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
(b) Heloise's request for patience.
(c) Heloise's request for leniency.
(d) Heloise's demand for information.
5. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
(a) Mary, mother of Christ.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
2. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
3. What did Abelard do right before he died?
4. Who received Letter 9?
5. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)