|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Abbot of Citeaux.
(c) Anselm of Laon.
2. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
(a) He will find a good position for Astralabe.
(b) He will personally convey Abelard's remains to Heloise's convent.
(c) He will make a contribution to the church in Abelard's name.
(d) He will celebrate Heloise in print and song.
3. What else did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Confess his sins.
(b) Receive absolution.
(c) Compose hymns.
(d) Write out his last will.
4. What was Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable's letter?
5. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
(b) Excess of words.
(c) Excess of sin.
(d) Dependency on the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
3. What did Abelard do right before he died?
4. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
5. Which is not a part of the Rule Abelard describes to Heloise in Letter 8?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)