|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
(a) He will personally convey Abelard's remains to Heloise's convent.
(b) He will find a good position for Astralabe.
(c) He will make a contribution to the church in Abelard's name.
(d) He will celebrate Heloise in print and song.
2. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
(a) Bringing the Messiah.
(b) Giving lay people an example.
(c) Purifying the race of its spiritual flaws.
(d) Submitting to God.
3. How does Abelard define poverty?
(b) Wealth in divine possessions.
(c) Refusal to own property.
(d) Lack of property.
4. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
5. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
(a) The rule of St. Benedict.
(b) The freedom she enjoyed before becoming a nun.
(c) The story of Mary Magdalene.
(d) The devout acts of Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
2. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
3. Which is not a part of the Rule Abelard describes to Heloise in Letter 8?
4. In Letter 8, what does Abelard say women tend to stray toward?
5. What does Peter the Venerable say Abelard's last days with him were devoted to?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)