|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
(a) Proscribe rules for her convent.
(b) Lay out acts of devotion for her to perform.
(c) Write down the history of her misfortunes.
(d) Free her from the convent.
2. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
3. What was Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable's letter?
4. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
(a) Broad life experience.
(b) Learning and teaching.
(c) Lifelong chastity.
(d) Management experience.
5. What does Peter the Venerable say he is particularly impressed by?
(a) Heloise's graceful movements.
(b) Heloise's devotion to Abelard.
(c) Heloise's beauty.
(d) Heloise's learning.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
2. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
3. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
4. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
5. Who sent Letter 9?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)