|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
(a) Broad life experience.
(b) Lifelong chastity.
(c) Management experience.
(d) Learning and teaching.
2. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(a) Different religions' monastic practices.
(b) Ancient practices.
(c) His monastery's practices.
3. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
(a) To instruct monks.
(b) To have an operation.
(c) To recuperate.
(d) To find a safe refuge.
4. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
(a) He will find a good position for Astralabe.
(b) He will celebrate Heloise in print and song.
(c) He will personally convey Abelard's remains to Heloise's convent.
(d) He will make a contribution to the church in Abelard's name.
5. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
(a) The weak cannot bear the same burdens as the strong.
(b) The strong should try to strengthen the weak to bear more burdens.
(c) The weak should be just as burdened as the strong.
(d) The weak should be able to bear the same burdens as the strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
2. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
3. What does Abelard say life becomes in poverty?
4. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
5. What does Heloise say about her burden?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)