|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
(a) To instruct monks.
(b) To have an operation.
(c) To find a safe refuge.
(d) To recuperate.
2. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
(a) It repaired the split with the letter's recipient.
(b) It showed deference.
(c) It demonstrated contrition.
(d) It fit his age and calling.
3. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
(a) Women who paid a price for falling away from priesthood.
(b) Women honored among Gentiles.
(c) Women who implemented church doctrine.
(d) Honored women in antiquity.
4. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
(a) The pope.
(b) The abbot.
5. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
(a) A business.
(b) The government.
(c) An army.
(d) A family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say life becomes in poverty?
2. What is the tone of the first part of Letter 9?
3. What does Peter the Venerable say he is particularly impressed by?
4. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
5. What does Abelard say was honored by St. Paul and St. Jerome?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)