|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should nuns primarily think about, according to Abelard?
(a) The nature of God.
(b) God's relationship to man.
(c) The inner life.
(d) The history of God and the church.
2. Which is not a part of the Rule Abelard describes to Heloise in Letter 8?
(a) The life of silence.
(b) The life of poverty.
(c) The life of continence.
(d) The life of prayer.
3. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
(a) In the last years of Abelard's life.
(b) In his pilgrimage through Abelard's monastery.
(c) In Peter the Venerable's travels.
(d) In Abelard's travels.
4. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
(b) A sketch of the rule she requested from him.
(c) Details of her life in the convent.
(d) Her prayers.
5. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
(a) He wishes that all nuns were so beautiful.
(b) He wishes that everyone followed her example.
(c) He wishes that his monastery possessed her.
(d) He wishes that she were a leader in government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Peter the Venerable?
2. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
3. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
4. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
5. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)