|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say was honored by St. Paul and St. Jerome?
2. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
(a) He will find a good position for Astralabe.
(b) He will celebrate Heloise in print and song.
(c) He will make a contribution to the church in Abelard's name.
(d) He will personally convey Abelard's remains to Heloise's convent.
3. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
(a) He honors it.
(b) He does not recognize it.
(c) He sees but does not reward it.
(d) He is hostile to it.
4. How does Abelard define poverty?
(a) Wealth in divine possessions.
(b) Lack of property.
(d) Refusal to own property.
5. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
(a) The weak cannot bear the same burdens as the strong.
(b) The weak should be just as burdened as the strong.
(c) The strong should try to strengthen the weak to bear more burdens.
(d) The weak should be able to bear the same burdens as the strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
2. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
3. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
4. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
5. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)