|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
(a) He will make a contribution to the church in Abelard's name.
(b) He will celebrate Heloise in print and song.
(c) He will personally convey Abelard's remains to Heloise's convent.
(d) He will find a good position for Astralabe.
2. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
(a) Her request for a reason to keep suffering.
(b) Her request for an end to his sufferings.
(c) Her request for a history of his experience.
(d) Her request for a rule.
3. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
(b) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(c) He is preparing Abelard's case.
(d) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
4. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
(a) Surrender himself.
(b) Remove offensive language from his writing.
(c) Stop writing.
(d) Recant his writing.
5. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
(a) The story of Mary Magdalene.
(b) The rule of St. Benedict.
(c) The freedom she enjoyed before becoming a nun.
(d) The devout acts of Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say about her burden?
2. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
3. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
4. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
5. Who sent Letter 9?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)