|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
(a) Canon law.
(b) The Old Testament.
(c) The Kabala.
(d) Convent conventions.
2. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
(b) He is preparing Abelard's case.
(c) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(d) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
3. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(b) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
(c) To forgive her.
(d) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
4. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
(a) Heloise's writings.
(b) Heloise's piety.
(c) Heloise's background.
(d) Heloise's contrition.
5. What does Peter the Venerable say is his estimation of Abelard?
(a) A brilliant religious thinker.
(b) Truly a great man.
(c) A skilled manager.
(d) An effective bureaucrat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
2. What does Peter the Venerable say to Heloise in Letter 10?
3. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
4. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
5. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)