|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
(a) Examples of women who bore more than men could bear.
(b) Reasons why women should not receive lighter burdens.
(c) Reasons why women should receive lighter burdens.
(d) Examples of women favored by the church.
2. How does Abelard define poverty?
(a) Lack of property.
(b) Refusal to own property.
(d) Wealth in divine possessions.
3. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
(a) To see Heloise.
(b) Retreat to Cluny.
(c) Continue his travels.
(d) Return to his monastery.
4. What did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Write to Peter the Venerable.
(b) Profess his faith.
(c) Write to the pope.
(d) Declare his love to Heloise.
5. Who was Innocent II?
(a) The pope.
(c) The Abbott of Cluny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Peter the Venerable?
2. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
3. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
4. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)