|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
(a) He praises his temperament.
(b) He praises his intellect.
(c) He praises his writing.
(d) He praises his work.
2. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
(a) The Old Testament.
(b) Convent conventions.
(c) Canon law.
(d) The Kabala.
3. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
(b) Convent practice.
(c) The Rule of the Saints.
(d) Papal dispensations.
4. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
(a) Recant his writing.
(b) Surrender himself.
(c) Remove offensive language from his writing.
(d) Stop writing.
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Gather supporters.
(b) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(c) Appeal to the pope.
(d) Flee the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Peter the Venerable?
2. How does Abelard define poverty?
3. For what did Heloise ask Peter the Venerable in her response?
4. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
5. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)