|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(b) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
(c) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
(d) To forgive her.
2. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
(a) Heloise's piety.
(b) Heloise's background.
(c) Heloise's contrition.
(d) Heloise's writings.
3. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
(a) Women honored among Gentiles.
(b) Women who paid a price for falling away from priesthood.
(c) Honored women in antiquity.
(d) Women who implemented church doctrine.
4. What else did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Confess his sins.
(b) Receive absolution.
(c) Compose hymns.
(d) Write out his last will.
5. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
(a) The devout acts of Christ.
(b) The rule of St. Benedict.
(c) The story of Mary Magdalene.
(d) The freedom she enjoyed before becoming a nun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not a part of the Rule Abelard describes to Heloise in Letter 8?
2. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
3. For what did Heloise ask Peter the Venerable in her response?
4. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
5. When was letter 9 likely written?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)