|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Appeal to the pope.
(b) Flee the country.
(c) Gather supporters.
(d) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
2. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
(a) Retreat to Cluny.
(b) Return to his monastery.
(c) To see Heloise.
(d) Continue his travels.
3. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(b) He is preparing Abelard's case.
(c) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
(d) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
4. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
5. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
(a) Examples of women favored by the church.
(b) Reasons why women should receive lighter burdens.
(c) Examples of women who bore more than men could bear.
(d) Reasons why women should not receive lighter burdens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
2. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
3. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
4. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
5. What was Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable's letter?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)