|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
(a) A wardrobe.
(b) A cellaress.
(c) A portress.
(d) A shepherd.
2. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(a) Different religions' monastic practices.
(b) His monastery's practices.
(c) Ancient practices.
3. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
(a) Purifying the mind.
(b) Concentrating the mind.
(c) Emptying the mind.
(d) Ascending to God.
4. What does Abelard say life becomes in poverty?
(a) A resource.
(b) A community.
(c) A firm law.
(d) A common store.
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Appeal to the pope.
(b) Flee the country.
(c) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(d) Gather supporters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say about the daughters of Aaron?
2. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
3. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
4. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
5. What else did Abelard do right before he died?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)