|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sender of Letter 9 say about Abelard?
(a) That the monks at his monastery were trying to kill him.
(b) That he has just received a letter about him.
(c) That he has just received a letter from him.
(d) That he passed through.
2. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
(a) Remove offensive language from his writing.
(b) Recant his writing.
(c) Surrender himself.
(d) Stop writing.
3. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
(a) They are not reliable.
(b) They can be feigned.
(c) People can learn them from each other.
(d) They vary from person to person.
4. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
(a) Discovered Christ's empty tomb.
(b) Anointed Christ with oil.
(c) Prepared for the Last Supper.
(d) Took Christ down from the cross.
5. Who was Peter the Venerable?
(a) The Abbott of Cluny.
(d) The pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say about her burden?
2. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
3. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
4. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
5. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)