|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
(a) Further punishment.
(d) Begging for mercy.
2. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
(b) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
(c) Desire for God's forgiveness.
(d) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
3. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
(a) Rebelling against fate.
(b) Writing him with her complaints.
(c) Doubting God's grace.
(d) Trying to see him.
4. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(a) William of Champeaux.
(c) Anselm of Laon.
(d) Anselm of Canterbury.
5. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
(a) His suffering.
(b) His devotion to God.
(c) His outrage.
(d) His love.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
2. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
3. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
4. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
5. What sin does Abelard remind Heloise of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
2. What does Heloise say about answering Abelard's requests of her?
3. What does Peter the Venerable send to Heloise in the final letter?
4. Why does Abelard say he was avoiding contact with Heloise?
5. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
6. What steps does the author of Letter 9 describe Abelard having taken?
7. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
8. Why does Heloise say there should be different standards for women?
9. What is Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable?
10. What occasioned Heloise's letter to Abelard?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)