|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
(b) Begging for mercy.
(c) Further punishment.
2. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
(a) How he resisted her requests to marry.
(b) How she resisted his advances.
(c) How she resisted his requests to marry.
(d) How he was brave in the face of her father's disapproval.
3. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
(a) Bury him.
(b) Bless him.
(c) Cremate him.
(d) Embalm him.
4. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
(a) She owes him an enormous debt.
(b) He owes her an enormous debt.
(c) She has to redeem him.
(d) He has to redeem her.
5. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
(a) Encourage her.
(b) Pray for her.
(c) Disappoint her.
(d) Enlighten her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
2. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
3. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
4. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
5. What does Heloise say she admires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occasioned Heloise's letter to Abelard?
2. Why does Abelard say in Letter 5 he filled Heloise with distress in his previous letter?
3. Describe Abelard's relationship with William of Champeaux.
4. What are the three parts of Abelard's rule?
5. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
6. What does Heloise say about virtue?
7. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
8. How does Heloise compare Abelard and God?
9. What does Abelard say he wants Heloise to do in case of his death?
10. Who was Anselm of Laon and how did he figure in Abelard's career?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)