|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
(b) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(c) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
(d) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
2. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
(a) The salvation of her soul.
(b) The arrogance of their actions.
(c) The salvation of his soul.
(d) Making things right with her father.
3. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(b) It was an outrage against his humanity.
(c) It destroyed him.
(d) It was Fulbert's right.
4. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
(a) Because of her kind letter to him.
(b) Because of her devotion to God.
(c) Because she disavows praise.
(d) Because she entered the convent.
5. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
(a) Rebelling against fate.
(b) Trying to see him.
(c) Writing him with her complaints.
(d) Doubting God's grace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
2. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard NOT to do?
3. In Letter 4, for what does Heloise say she is grateful?
4. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
5. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abelard say in Letter 5 he filled Heloise with distress in his previous letter?
2. In Letter 4, why does Heloise say she is disappointed with Abelard's response?
3. What does Abelard ask Heloise and her nuns to do?
4. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
5. What is Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable?
6. What are the three parts of Abelard's rule?
7. What does the author of Letter 9 ask of his correspondent?
8. How is Letter 7 organized?
9. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
10. How does Heloise surprise Abelard in Letter 4, and what does he do in response in Letter 5?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)