|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
(b) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
(c) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
(d) Desire for God's forgiveness.
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
(c) Further punishment.
(d) Begging for mercy.
3. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
(a) By writing to her at the convent.
(b) By writing with only grief and worry.
(c) By failing to describe her as his wife.
(d) By asking her to intervene in his salvation.
4. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is chaste.
(b) That she is a hypocrite.
(c) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(d) That she is the most miserable of women.
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) What she can do for him.
(b) What her father can do for them.
(c) What he owes her.
(d) Whether they ought to see each other again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
2. What does Heloise say men say about her?
3. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
4. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
5. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
Short Essay Questions
1. What intercession does the author of Letter 9 want to make?
2. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in his last letter?
3. Why does the author of Letter 9 say Abelard retreated to Cluny?
4. Why does Abelard say he was avoiding contact with Heloise?
5. What does Abelard say is the purpose of monastic life?
6. List a few examples Abelard uses of women serving Christianity.
7. What contrast does Abelard draw with women's practices and men's?
8. How does Abelard end Letter 7?
9. What does the author of Letter 9 ask of his correspondent?
10. What reason does Abelard give for writing to Heloise again in Letter 5?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)