|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(d) St. Denis.
2. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it take place immediately.
(b) That it take place in secret.
(c) That it not take place for two years.
(d) That it be a large celebration.
3. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
(c) An apology.
(d) A letter.
4. What does Heloise say, in Letter 4, she cannot find?
5. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
(a) How she resisted his requests to marry.
(b) How she resisted his advances.
(c) How he was brave in the face of her father's disapproval.
(d) How he resisted her requests to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
2. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
3. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
4. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
5. What does Abelard say is a danger to Heloise's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Letter 2, what does Heloise say her motive for writing was?
2. List a few examples Abelard uses of women serving Christianity.
3. What is the real purpose of Peter the Venerable's letter in Letter 10?
4. What does Heloise ask at the end of Letter 6?
5. What happened after Abelard asked for a public transfer to the abbey from which he wrote the current letter?
6. What does Heloise say about answering Abelard's requests of her?
7. What does Heloise say she did on Abelard's sake?
8. What does Peter the Venerable send to Heloise in the final letter?
9. What does Heloise say about her burdens in Letter 6?
10. What does Heloise say about virtue?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)