|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Try to stop him.
(b) Loan him start-up money.
(c) Encourage him.
(d) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
2. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard NOT to do?
(a) Pray for her.
(b) Praise her.
(c) Write to her.
(d) Remember her.
3. What does Heloise doubt about Abelard?
(a) Whether he was prepared to take care of her.
(b) Whether his words were honest.
(c) Whether he wanted her for himself or for another.
(d) What drew him to her.
4. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was Fulbert's right.
(b) It destroyed him.
(c) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(d) It was an outrage against his humanity.
5. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
(a) A Chinese woman.
(b) An Italian woman.
(c) An Ethiopian woman.
(d) A German woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
2. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
3. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
4. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
5. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Fulbert's family did to Abelard.
2. What does Heloise say about virtue?
3. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
4. List a few examples Abelard uses of women serving Christianity.
5. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
6. Who was Anselm of Laon and how did he figure in Abelard's career?
7. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
8. What does Abelard say is the purpose of monastic life?
9. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
10. In Letter 2, what does Heloise say her motive for writing was?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)