|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
(b) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
(c) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
(d) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
2. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) The men who castrated him.
(b) Heloise and the nuns.
(c) Only Heloise.
(d) Heloise's father.
3. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
4. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Never to forget.
(b) Faith to see her through.
(c) To forget him.
(d) Freedom from pain.
5. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(a) St. Denis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
2. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
3. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
4. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
5. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Abelard give for writing to Heloise again in Letter 5?
2. What does Abelard remind Heloise of in Letter 5?
3. Describe what Fulbert's family did to Abelard.
4. Why does Heloise say there should be different standards for women?
5. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
6. How does Heloise surprise Abelard in Letter 4, and what does he do in response in Letter 5?
7. What does Abelard assure to Heloise in Letter 3?
8. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
9. What does Heloise ask Abelard at the end of Letter 2?
10. How does Abelard say errors must be corrected?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)