|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire for God's forgiveness.
(b) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
(c) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
(d) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
2. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(b) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
(c) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
(d) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
3. What was the status of Abelard's father?
4. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) The men who castrated him.
(b) Heloise's father.
(c) Only Heloise.
(d) Heloise and the nuns.
5. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Debating philosophy.
(b) Debating scripture.
(c) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(d) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
2. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
3. What does Abelard say Heloise became when she became his wife?
4. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
5. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abelard say errors must be corrected?
2. What does Heloise say she did on Abelard's sake?
3. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in his last letter?
4. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
5. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
6. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
7. What contrast does Abelard draw with women's practices and men's?
8. What intercession does the author of Letter 9 want to make?
9. What does Abelard remind Heloise of in Letter 5?
10. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)