|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
(a) To survive.
2. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
(a) An apology.
(c) A letter.
3. What does Heloise say will prevent her from praying for Abelard?
(b) Irreligious sentiments.
4. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
(a) Original sin.
(b) Malicious men.
(c) His sins.
(d) Cruel fate.
5. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
(a) Her father's permission to return home.
(b) God's will.
(c) Her father's forgiveness.
(d) His forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
3. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
4. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
5. What was the status of Abelard's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abelard say errors must be corrected?
2. What does the author of Letter 9 ask of his correspondent?
3. How is Letter 7 organized?
4. What does Heloise say she did on Abelard's sake?
5. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
6. What caused the author of Letter 9to write the letter?
7. What does Abelard say is the purpose of monastic life?
8. What steps does the author of Letter 9 describe Abelard having taken?
9. How does Abelard end Letter 7?
10. What does Abelard say he wants Heloise to do in case of his death?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)