|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(a) St. Denis.
2. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
(a) His devotion.
(b) His even temper.
(c) His love of women.
(d) His volatile personality.
3. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Freedom from pain.
(b) Faith to see her through.
(c) To forget him.
(d) Never to forget.
4. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
(a) A German woman.
(b) An Italian woman.
(c) A Chinese woman.
(d) An Ethiopian woman.
5. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Loan him start-up money.
(b) Encourage him.
(c) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(d) Try to stop him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say she admires?
2. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
3. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
4. What does Abelard say is a danger to Heloise's body?
5. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Abelard asked for a public transfer to the abbey from which he wrote the current letter?
2. What does the author of Letter 9 ask of his correspondent?
3. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
4. What steps does the author of Letter 9 describe Abelard having taken?
5. What is Abelard's advice with regard to scripture?
6. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
7. In Letter 2, what does Heloise say her motive for writing was?
8. What does Abelard say is the purpose of monastic life?
9. Describe the conditions of Abelard's death.
10. What sources does Abelard use in prescribing his rule to Heloise in Letter 8?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)