Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
(b) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
(c) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
(d) Desire for God's forgiveness.
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(b) Loan him start-up money.
(c) Try to stop him.
(d) Encourage him.
3. Where did Abelard study?
4. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
5. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
(a) His patience with them in their blindness.
(b) His letting them sin in the first place.
(c) His punishing them after they atoned for their sin
(d) His allowing them to be blind to virtue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else does Heloise say was affected by Abelard's letter?
2. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
3. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
4. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
5. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abelard end Letter 7?
2. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
3. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
4. What stance does Abelard take in Letter 5?
5. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
6. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
7. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
8. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
9. What does Heloise ask Abelard at the end of Letter 2?
10. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)