|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Loan him start-up money.
(b) Try to stop him.
(c) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(d) Encourage him.
2. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
(a) Embalm him.
(b) Cremate him.
(c) Bury him.
(d) Bless him.
3. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Sent her away.
(b) Taken up scriptural studies.
(c) Married her.
(d) Left philosophy.
4. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
(a) Abelard alone.
(b) God alone.
5. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(a) Anselm of Canterbury.
(c) Anselm of Laon.
(d) William of Champeaux.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
2. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
3. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
4. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard to do?
5. In Letter 5, what does Abelard say he is surprised by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occasioned Heloise's letter to Abelard?
2. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
3. In Letter 2, what does Heloise say her motive for writing was?
4. Why does Heloise say there should be different standards for women?
5. What intercession does the author of Letter 9 want to make?
6. Describe Abelard's relationship with William of Champeaux.
7. Where does Abelard say his sufferings came from?
8. What does Heloise say she did on Abelard's sake?
9. To what does Heloise appeal, in Letter 6, in justifying her argument?
10. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)