|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Never to forget.
(b) Freedom from pain.
(c) Faith to see her through.
(d) To forget him.
2. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
(b) Delight in the sinfulness of fornication.
(c) Memory of the pleasure of lovemaking.
(d) Her knowledge of God's grace.
3. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
4. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
5. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Encourage him.
(b) Loan him start-up money.
(c) Try to stop him.
(d) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
2. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
3. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
4. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
5. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of Letter 9 say Abelard retreated to Cluny?
2. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
3. What does Abelard say is the purpose of monastic life?
4. How does Abelard end Letter 7?
5. What is the real purpose of Peter the Venerable's letter in Letter 10?
6. What does Peter the Venerable send to Heloise in the final letter?
7. How does Abelard say errors must be corrected?
8. What does Abelard ask Heloise and her nuns to do?
9. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
10. What does the author of Letter 9 ask of his correspondent?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)