|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
(b) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(c) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(d) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
2. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
(a) His patience with them in their blindness.
(b) His punishing them after they atoned for their sin
(c) His allowing them to be blind to virtue.
(d) His letting them sin in the first place.
3. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
(a) Bury him.
(b) Bless him.
(c) Embalm him.
(d) Cremate him.
4. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
(a) That he was proud of what happened.
(b) That he did not care for her.
(c) That he felt he owed her a great debt.
(d) That he wanted to hide.
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) What he owes her.
(b) Whether they ought to see each other again.
(c) What she can do for him.
(d) What her father can do for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
2. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
3. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
4. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
5. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
2. Why does Abelard say in Letter 5 he filled Heloise with distress in his previous letter?
3. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
4. What is Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable?
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard at the end of Letter 2?
6. What does Heloise say about virtue?
7. What is Abelard's advice with regard to scripture?
8. What does Heloise say about the men who call her chaste?
9. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
10. How is Letter 7 organized?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)