|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(c) Government work.
2. In Letter 5, what does Abelard say he is surprised by?
(a) Heloise's devotion.
(b) Heloise's refusal to accept her situation.
(c) Heloise's lustfulness.
(d) Heloise's bitterness.
3. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
(a) By writing with only grief and worry.
(b) By writing to her at the convent.
(c) By asking her to intervene in his salvation.
(d) By failing to describe her as his wife.
4. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire for God's forgiveness.
(b) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
(c) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
(d) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
5. In Letter 4, for what does Heloise say she is grateful?
(a) That Abelard is still alive to be her companion.
(b) That she is still there to comfort him.
(c) That the tempter did not get her to do wrong.
(d) That she still has her eyes to see the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
2. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
3. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
4. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
5. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
2. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in his last letter?
3. How does Peter the Venerable greet Heloise in Letter 10?
4. How does Abelard say errors must be corrected?
5. What steps does the author of Letter 9 describe Abelard having taken?
6. What caused the author of Letter 9to write the letter?
7. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
8. What is Abelard's advice with regard to scripture?
9. Describe the conditions of Abelard's death.
10. What does Heloise say about virtue?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)