|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(b) It was Fulbert's right.
(c) It destroyed him.
(d) It was an outrage against his humanity.
2. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
(a) Making things right with her father.
(b) The arrogance of their actions.
(c) The salvation of her soul.
(d) The salvation of his soul.
3. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Freedom from pain.
(b) To forget him.
(c) Never to forget.
(d) Faith to see her through.
4. What does Abelard say Heloise became when she became his wife?
(a) His student.
(b) His superior.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His inferior.
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) When she will see him again.
(b) Why she has not heard from him.
(c) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(d) How he is doing.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
2. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
3. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
4. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
5. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
2. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
3. How does Heloise compare Abelard and God?
4. Describe what Fulbert's family did to Abelard.
5. In Letter 4, why does Heloise say she is disappointed with Abelard's response?
6. What reason does Abelard give for writing to Heloise again in Letter 5?
7. What does Heloise say she did on Abelard's sake?
8. What does Heloise say about answering Abelard's requests of her?
9. What sources does Abelard use in prescribing his rule to Heloise in Letter 8?
10. Describe Abelard's relationship with William of Champeaux.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)