|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(b) When she will see him again.
(c) How he is doing.
(d) Why she has not heard from him.
2. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
(a) Embalm him.
(b) Bless him.
(c) Cremate him.
(d) Bury him.
3. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
4. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
(a) An Italian woman.
(b) A Chinese woman.
(c) An Ethiopian woman.
(d) A German woman.
5. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
(a) Asking for her whereabouts.
(b) Asking her to pray for him.
(c) Asking her for help.
(d) Asking for her forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
2. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard to do?
3. Where was Abelard born?
4. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
5. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
2. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
3. What does the author of Letter 9 ask of his correspondent?
4. What two things does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
5. What contrast does Abelard draw with women's practices and men's?
6. How is Letter 7 organized?
7. Who are the correspondents in Letter 9?
8. What occasioned Heloise's letter to Abelard?
9. List a few examples Abelard uses of women serving Christianity.
10. Who was Anselm of Laon and how did he figure in Abelard's career?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)