|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(b) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
(c) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(d) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
2. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(b) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
(c) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
(d) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
3. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
(a) Because his conscience required he tell her.
(b) Because he felt she needed to know.
(c) Because she asked him to share his sorrow.
(d) Because he felt she shared his sin and ought to share his sorrow afterward.
4. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
(a) Her abbot.
(d) Her father.
5. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
(a) All the consolation there is.
(b) The basis of love.
(c) Consolation eased.
(d) Consolation doubled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say is a danger to Heloise's body?
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
3. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
4. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
5. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heloise surprise Abelard in Letter 4, and what does he do in response in Letter 5?
2. How does Abelard end Letter 7?
3. What does Abelard assure to Heloise in Letter 3?
4. Who was Anselm of Laon and how did he figure in Abelard's career?
5. What does Abelard say he wants Heloise to do in case of his death?
6. What does Abelard beg Heloise for in Letter 3?
7. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
8. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in his last letter?
9. What does Heloise ask Abelard at the end of Letter 2?
10. What does Abelard say about the Cumean Sibyl?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)