|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
(a) A Chinese woman.
(b) An Ethiopian woman.
(c) An Italian woman.
(d) A German woman.
2. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
(a) Great sorrow.
(b) Outrage and despair.
(d) Mixed relief and sadness.
3. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
(a) She owes him an enormous debt.
(b) He has to redeem her.
(c) He owes her an enormous debt.
(d) She has to redeem him.
4. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
5. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Sent her away.
(b) Married her.
(c) Left philosophy.
(d) Taken up scriptural studies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
2. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
3. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
4. What does Heloise say about herself?
5. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Letter 4, why does Heloise say she is disappointed with Abelard's response?
2. Where does Abelard say his sufferings came from?
3. Who was Anselm of Laon and how did he figure in Abelard's career?
4. Why does Abelard say in Letter 5 he filled Heloise with distress in his previous letter?
5. What does Heloise say about virtue?
6. What sources does Abelard use in prescribing his rule to Heloise in Letter 8?
7. What intercession does the author of Letter 9 want to make?
8. How does Heloise end Letter 3 to Abelard?
9. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
10. What does Abelard beg Heloise for in Letter 3?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)