|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(b) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
(c) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
(d) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
2. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
(c) Her abbot.
(d) Her father.
3. What does Abelard say was the consequence of his lust for Heloise?
(a) He forgot his duties as a teacher.
(b) He betrayed her father's trust.
(c) He lost his reverence for God.
(d) He defiled her soul.
4. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) How long his penance should last.
(b) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(c) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
(d) How much she has served him.
5. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
(a) The salvation of his soul.
(b) The salvation of her soul.
(c) Making things right with her father.
(d) The arrogance of their actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
2. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
3. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
4. In Letter 4, what does Heloise say her feelings are in response to Abelard's letter?
5. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard NOT to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abelard assure to Heloise in Letter 3?
2. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
3. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
4. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
5. What does Abelard say he wants Heloise to do in case of his death?
6. Why does Abelard say in Letter 5 he filled Heloise with distress in his previous letter?
7. What does Peter the Venerable send to Heloise in the final letter?
8. In Letter 7, what examples of women in the church does Abelard use from antiquity?
9. What steps does the author of Letter 9 describe Abelard having taken?
10. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)