|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
(a) As her enemy.
(b) As her saint.
(c) As her deliverer.
(d) As her partner in guilt and grace.
2. What was the status of Abelard's father?
3. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
4. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(b) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
(c) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
(d) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
5. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
(a) A letter.
(b) An apology.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
2. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
3. What explanation does Abelard offer for his action?
4. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
5. What does Abelard say Heloise deserves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heloise surprise Abelard in Letter 4, and what does he do in response in Letter 5?
2. What sources does Abelard use in prescribing his rule to Heloise in Letter 8?
3. In what way does Heloise say Abelard is in debt to her?
4. What does Heloise say about answering Abelard's requests of her?
5. Where did Abelard go after he went to St. Denis?
6. How does Heloise close Letter 2 to Abelard?
7. What does Heloise ask at the end of Letter 6?
8. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
9. Who was Anselm of Laon and how did he figure in Abelard's career?
10. What are the three parts of Abelard's rule?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)