|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who received Letter 9?
(b) The Abbott of Cluny.
(d) The pope.
2. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
(a) The pope.
(d) The abbot.
3. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
4. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
(a) The rule of St. Benedict.
(b) The freedom she enjoyed before becoming a nun.
(c) The story of Mary Magdalene.
(d) The devout acts of Christ.
5. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
(a) He will personally convey Abelard's remains to Heloise's convent.
(b) He will make a contribution to the church in Abelard's name.
(c) He will celebrate Heloise in print and song.
(d) He will find a good position for Astralabe.
6. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
(b) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(c) To forgive her.
(d) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
7. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
(a) People can learn them from each other.
(b) They can be feigned.
(c) They vary from person to person.
(d) They are not reliable.
8. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
(b) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(c) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
(d) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
9. Who sent Letter 9?
(c) The Abbott of Cluny.
(d) The pope.
10. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
(a) He wishes that all nuns were so beautiful.
(b) He wishes that she were a leader in government.
(c) He wishes that everyone followed her example.
(d) He wishes that his monastery possessed her.
11. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
(a) In each according to his weakness.
(b) The same in everyone.
(c) Differently in different people.
(d) In each according to his talents.
12. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
(a) Lay out acts of devotion for her to perform.
(b) Free her from the convent.
(c) Proscribe rules for her convent.
(d) Write down the history of her misfortunes.
13. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
(a) In Abelard's travels.
(b) In the last years of Abelard's life.
(c) In Peter the Venerable's travels.
(d) In his pilgrimage through Abelard's monastery.
14. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
(a) The Abbot of Citeaux.
(c) Anselm of Laon.
(d) The pope.
15. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's request for leniency.
(b) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
(c) Heloise's demand for information.
(d) Heloise's request for patience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abelard do right before he died?
2. What does Heloise say about her burden?
3. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
4. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
5. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)