|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say to Heloise in Letter 10?
(a) He is sorry to hear about her situation.
(b) He is happy to hear from her.
(c) He cannot help her.
(d) He will try to help her.
2. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
3. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
4. Who does Peter the Venerable cite to Heloise in his letter?
(a) Women who led nations.
(b) Women who led other women.
(c) Women who overcame difficulties.
(d) Women who loved great men.
5. What does Abelard say life becomes in poverty?
(a) A resource.
(b) A common store.
(c) A firm law.
(d) A community.
6. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's request for leniency.
(b) Heloise's demand for information.
(c) Heloise's request for patience.
(d) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
7. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
(a) Return to his monastery.
(b) Retreat to Cluny.
(c) Continue his travels.
(d) To see Heloise.
8. What is it that ultimately pleases God, according to Heloise?
9. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
(a) Examples of women who bore more than men could bear.
(b) Reasons why women should receive lighter burdens.
(c) Reasons why women should not receive lighter burdens.
(d) Examples of women favored by the church.
10. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
(a) A portress.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) A cellaress.
(d) A wardrobe.
11. What should nuns primarily think about, according to Abelard?
(a) The history of God and the church.
(b) The nature of God.
(c) The inner life.
(d) God's relationship to man.
12. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
(c) The pope.
(d) The abbot.
13. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
(a) Seek God.
(b) Obey Abelard.
(c) Beg for forgiveness.
14. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
(a) Giving lay people an example.
(b) Bringing the Messiah.
(c) Purifying the race of its spiritual flaws.
(d) Submitting to God.
15. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
(a) Hold her to a standard above herself.
(b) Listen to the details of her feelings.
(c) Be sensitive to her weakness.
(d) Ask her to recount her sufferings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
2. What did Abelard do right before he died?
3. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
4. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
5. Who sent Letter 9?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)