|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
(a) It is more pleasing to God.
(b) It is only appropriate for certain things.
(c) It is useful for different things in religion.
(d) It is the same as men's virtues.
2. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
(a) The story of Mary Magdalene.
(b) The rule of St. Benedict.
(c) The devout acts of Christ.
(d) The freedom she enjoyed before becoming a nun.
3. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Flee the country.
(b) Gather supporters.
(c) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(d) Appeal to the pope.
4. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(b) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
(c) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
(d) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
5. What is the tone of the first part of Letter 9?
6. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
(a) It expanded.
(b) It contracted.
(c) It ceased.
(d) It almost went extinct.
7. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
8. What does Heloise say about her burden?
(a) She says the only way to bear the burden is together with him.
(b) She says the burden is a joy to bear.
(c) She says burdens can be too heavy.
(d) She says that the burden is more than she can bear.
9. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
10. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) The Rule of the Saints.
(b) Papal dispensations.
(d) Convent practice.
11. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
(a) In antiquity.
(b) In Christ's time.
(c) In the Middle Ages.
(d) In Roman times.
12. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
(a) Women who paid a price for falling away from priesthood.
(b) Honored women in antiquity.
(c) Women who implemented church doctrine.
(d) Women honored among Gentiles.
13. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
14. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
15. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
(a) He wishes that she were a leader in government.
(b) He wishes that all nuns were so beautiful.
(c) He wishes that his monastery possessed her.
(d) He wishes that everyone followed her example.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
2. What was Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable's letter?
3. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
4. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
5. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)