Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
(a) He praises his temperament.
(b) He praises his intellect.
(c) He praises his writing.
(d) He praises his work.
2. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
(a) The Old Testament.
(b) Convent conventions.
(c) Canon law.
(d) The Kabala.
3. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
(b) Convent practice.
(c) The Rule of the Saints.
(d) Papal dispensations.
4. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
(a) Recant his writing.
(b) Surrender himself.
(c) Remove offensive language from his writing.
(d) Stop writing.
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Gather supporters.
(b) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(c) Appeal to the pope.
(d) Flee the country.
6. Who was Peter the Venerable?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Abbott of Cluny.
7. How does Abelard define poverty?
(b) Wealth in divine possessions.
(c) Refusal to own property.
(d) Lack of property.
8. For what did Heloise ask Peter the Venerable in her response?
(a) A letter to the pope on Abelard's behalf.
(b) A record of Abelard's last days.
(c) A sealed document containing Abelard's absolution.
(d) A certificate of Abelard's death.
9. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
10. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's request for leniency.
(b) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
(c) Heloise's demand for information.
(d) Heloise's request for patience.
11. What did Abelard do in the place Peter the Venerable sent him?
(a) Wrote a book about religion.
(b) Saw Heloise.
(c) Continued his studies.
(d) Set up a new monastery.
12. What else did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Compose hymns.
(b) Write out his last will.
(c) Receive absolution.
(d) Confess his sins.
13. What was Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable's letter?
14. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
(a) The sun and moon.
(c) The pope.
(d) The oldest gods.
15. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
(a) Exclusions for nuns who do not follow the rules.
(b) Rewards for nuns who are the most devout.
(c) Exceptions for the old, young, and weak.
(d) Special standards for the more devout nuns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
2. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
3. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
4. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
5. What does Abelard say about the daughters of Aaron?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)