|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
(a) Dependency on the world.
(b) Excess of words.
(c) Excess of sin.
2. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
(a) Prepared for the Last Supper.
(b) Took Christ down from the cross.
(c) Anointed Christ with oil.
(d) Discovered Christ's empty tomb.
3. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
(a) Heloise's background.
(b) Heloise's contrition.
(c) Heloise's writings.
(d) Heloise's piety.
4. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
(a) Contextual application of burdens.
(b) Rules that respect gender differences.
(c) An absolute rule for burdens.
(d) A case-by-case standard for burdens.
5. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
(a) He sees but does not reward it.
(b) He honors it.
(c) He does not recognize it.
(d) He is hostile to it.
6. Who was Peter the Venerable?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Abbott of Cluny.
7. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
(a) In the Middle Ages.
(b) In Christ's time.
(c) In Roman times.
(d) In antiquity.
8. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
(a) Her request for a reason to keep suffering.
(b) Her request for a rule.
(c) Her request for an end to his sufferings.
(d) Her request for a history of his experience.
9. How does Abelard define poverty?
(a) Lack of property.
(b) Refusal to own property.
(d) Wealth in divine possessions.
10. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
(a) In Peter the Venerable's travels.
(b) In his pilgrimage through Abelard's monastery.
(c) In the last years of Abelard's life.
(d) In Abelard's travels.
11. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
(a) It demonstrated contrition.
(b) It fit his age and calling.
(c) It repaired the split with the letter's recipient.
(d) It showed deference.
12. How are things distributed in poverty, according to Abelard?
(a) According to right.
(b) According to deserving.
(c) According to need.
(d) According to power.
13. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
(a) Special standards for the more devout nuns.
(b) Rewards for nuns who are the most devout.
(c) Exclusions for nuns who do not follow the rules.
(d) Exceptions for the old, young, and weak.
14. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
(a) Canon law.
(b) The Kabala.
(c) The Old Testament.
(d) Convent conventions.
15. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
2. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
3. What is the tone of the first part of Letter 9?
4. In Letter 8, what does Abelard say women tend to stray toward?
5. Who sent Letter 9?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)