|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
2. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
(b) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(c) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
(d) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
3. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
(a) It is the same as men's virtues.
(b) It is useful for different things in religion.
(c) It is more pleasing to God.
(d) It is only appropriate for certain things.
4. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
5. What does Peter the Venerable say Abelard's last days with him were devoted to?
6. Whom does Abelard say Jesus honored?
(b) Serving women.
7. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
(a) The Abbot of Citeaux.
(c) Anselm of Laon.
(d) The pope.
8. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
(a) Recant his writing.
(b) Remove offensive language from his writing.
(c) Stop writing.
(d) Surrender himself.
9. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
(a) He wishes that she were a leader in government.
(b) He wishes that everyone followed her example.
(c) He wishes that his monastery possessed her.
(d) He wishes that all nuns were so beautiful.
10. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
(a) He will make a contribution to the church in Abelard's name.
(b) He will celebrate Heloise in print and song.
(c) He will personally convey Abelard's remains to Heloise's convent.
(d) He will find a good position for Astralabe.
11. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(b) Appeal to the pope.
(c) Gather supporters.
(d) Flee the country.
12. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
(a) Serving women and saints.
(b) Humble women celebrating Christ and current bishops strutting in robes.
(c) Saints and serving women.
(d) Martyrs and bureaucrats.
13. When was letter 9 likely written?
14. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Mary, mother of Christ.
15. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
(a) In Abelard's travels.
(b) In Peter the Venerable's travels.
(c) In his pilgrimage through Abelard's monastery.
(d) In the last years of Abelard's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
2. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
3. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
4. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
5. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)