|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say to Heloise in Letter 10?
(a) He will try to help her.
(b) He is happy to hear from her.
(c) He is sorry to hear about her situation.
(d) He cannot help her.
2. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
(a) Dependency on the world.
(b) Excess of sin.
(c) Excess of words.
3. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
(a) He said he would take it.
(b) He had not responded.
(c) He already acted on it.
(d) He refused it.
4. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(c) Mary, mother of Christ.
5. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
(a) Special standards for the more devout nuns.
(b) Rewards for nuns who are the most devout.
(c) Exceptions for the old, young, and weak.
(d) Exclusions for nuns who do not follow the rules.
6. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
(b) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(c) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
(d) He is preparing Abelard's case.
7. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
(b) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(c) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
(d) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
8. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
(a) He does not recognize it.
(b) He sees but does not reward it.
(c) He honors it.
(d) He is hostile to it.
9. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(a) Ancient practices.
(b) His monastery's practices.
(c) Different religions' monastic practices.
10. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
11. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
(a) Retreat to Cluny.
(b) To see Heloise.
(c) Return to his monastery.
(d) Continue his travels.
12. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
(a) Obey Abelard.
(c) Seek God.
(d) Beg for forgiveness.
13. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
(a) Concentrating the mind.
(b) Ascending to God.
(c) Purifying the mind.
(d) Emptying the mind.
14. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
15. What did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Write to Peter the Venerable.
(b) Profess his faith.
(c) Write to the pope.
(d) Declare his love to Heloise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
2. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
3. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
4. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
5. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)