|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
(b) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(c) To forgive her.
(d) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
2. What else did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Write out his last will.
(b) Compose hymns.
(c) Confess his sins.
(d) Receive absolution.
3. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(b) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
(c) He is preparing Abelard's case.
(d) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
4. What did Abelard do in the place Peter the Venerable sent him?
(a) Saw Heloise.
(b) Wrote a book about religion.
(c) Set up a new monastery.
(d) Continued his studies.
5. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
6. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
(a) Exclusions for nuns who do not follow the rules.
(b) Special standards for the more devout nuns.
(c) Rewards for nuns who are the most devout.
(d) Exceptions for the old, young, and weak.
7. What does Abelard say was honored by St. Paul and St. Jerome?
8. Who does Peter the Venerable cite to Heloise in his letter?
(a) Women who overcame difficulties.
(b) Women who led other women.
(c) Women who led nations.
(d) Women who loved great men.
9. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
(a) In his pilgrimage through Abelard's monastery.
(b) In Peter the Venerable's travels.
(c) In the last years of Abelard's life.
(d) In Abelard's travels.
10. What does Peter the Venerable say Abelard's last days with him were devoted to?
11. Who was Innocent II?
(b) The Abbott of Cluny.
(d) The pope.
12. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
(a) That he is becoming a popular leader.
(b) That he has proposed an order for nuns.
(c) That he is instituting progressive reforms.
(d) That he is accused of heresy.
13. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
(a) A sketch of the rule she requested from him.
(b) Her prayers.
(d) Details of her life in the convent.
14. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
(a) Emptying the mind.
(b) Ascending to God.
(c) Purifying the mind.
(d) Concentrating the mind.
15. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's demand for information.
(b) Heloise's request for patience.
(c) Heloise's request for leniency.
(d) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
2. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
3. How would you describe Abelard's method of arranging Letter 7?
4. Whom does Abelard say Jesus honored?
5. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)