|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say is his estimation of Abelard?
(a) An effective bureaucrat.
(b) Truly a great man.
(c) A brilliant religious thinker.
(d) A skilled manager.
2. Which is not a part of the Rule Abelard describes to Heloise in Letter 8?
(a) The life of silence.
(b) The life of continence.
(c) The life of prayer.
(d) The life of poverty.
3. How does Abelard define poverty?
(a) Wealth in divine possessions.
(b) Refusal to own property.
(c) Lack of property.
4. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
(b) Dependency on the world.
(c) Excess of words.
(d) Excess of sin.
5. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
(b) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
(c) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(d) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
6. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
(a) Broad life experience.
(b) Learning and teaching.
(c) Lifelong chastity.
(d) Management experience.
7. For what did Heloise ask Peter the Venerable in her response?
(a) A letter to the pope on Abelard's behalf.
(b) A certificate of Abelard's death.
(c) A record of Abelard's last days.
(d) A sealed document containing Abelard's absolution.
8. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
(a) It ceased.
(b) It contracted.
(c) It expanded.
(d) It almost went extinct.
9. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
(a) People can learn them from each other.
(b) They can be feigned.
(c) They vary from person to person.
(d) They are not reliable.
10. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
(b) The sun and moon.
(c) The pope.
(d) The oldest gods.
11. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
12. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
(a) In antiquity.
(b) In Roman times.
(c) In Christ's time.
(d) In the Middle Ages.
13. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
(a) The rule of St. Benedict.
(b) The freedom she enjoyed before becoming a nun.
(c) The devout acts of Christ.
(d) The story of Mary Magdalene.
14. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
(a) Reasons why women should receive lighter burdens.
(b) Examples of women who bore more than men could bear.
(c) Examples of women favored by the church.
(d) Reasons why women should not receive lighter burdens.
15. What did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Declare his love to Heloise.
(b) Profess his faith.
(c) Write to the pope.
(d) Write to Peter the Venerable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
2. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
3. Who was Innocent II?
4. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
5. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)