|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
(a) He does not recognize it.
(b) He sees but does not reward it.
(c) He is hostile to it.
(d) He honors it.
2. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
(a) Submitting to God.
(b) Purifying the race of its spiritual flaws.
(c) Bringing the Messiah.
(d) Giving lay people an example.
3. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
(a) Differently in different people.
(b) In each according to his talents.
(c) In each according to his weakness.
(d) The same in everyone.
4. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
(a) Contextual application of burdens.
(b) A case-by-case standard for burdens.
(c) Rules that respect gender differences.
(d) An absolute rule for burdens.
5. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
(a) In the last years of Abelard's life.
(b) In Abelard's travels.
(c) In Peter the Venerable's travels.
(d) In his pilgrimage through Abelard's monastery.
6. Who does Peter the Venerable cite to Heloise in his letter?
(a) Women who led nations.
(b) Women who led other women.
(c) Women who loved great men.
(d) Women who overcame difficulties.
7. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
(a) Retreat to Cluny.
(b) To see Heloise.
(c) Return to his monastery.
(d) Continue his travels.
8. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
(a) People can learn them from each other.
(b) They are not reliable.
(c) They can be feigned.
(d) They vary from person to person.
9. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
(a) Proscribe rules for her convent.
(b) Write down the history of her misfortunes.
(c) Lay out acts of devotion for her to perform.
(d) Free her from the convent.
10. What was the sender of Letter 9 trying to offer Abelard?
11. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
(a) Details of her life in the convent.
(b) Her prayers.
(c) A sketch of the rule she requested from him.
12. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
13. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
(a) Heloise's background.
(b) Heloise's piety.
(c) Heloise's writings.
(d) Heloise's contrition.
14. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
(b) To forgive her.
(c) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
(d) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
15. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
(a) Excess of words.
(b) Dependency on the world.
(d) Excess of sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
2. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
3. How would you describe Abelard's method of arranging Letter 7?
4. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
5. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)