|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
(a) Special standards for the more devout nuns.
(b) Exceptions for the old, young, and weak.
(c) Exclusions for nuns who do not follow the rules.
(d) Rewards for nuns who are the most devout.
2. Where does God look for virtue, according to Heloise?
(a) The mind.
(b) A person's acts.
(c) The conscience.
(d) The heart.
3. Who received Letter 9?
(c) The pope.
(d) The Abbott of Cluny.
4. What was the sender of Letter 9 trying to offer Abelard?
5. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
6. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
(a) It expanded.
(b) It ceased.
(c) It contracted.
(d) It almost went extinct.
7. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
(b) To forgive her.
(c) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(d) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
8. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
(a) It is more pleasing to God.
(b) It is useful for different things in religion.
(c) It is the same as men's virtues.
(d) It is only appropriate for certain things.
9. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
(a) Submitting to God.
(b) Giving lay people an example.
(c) Bringing the Messiah.
(d) Purifying the race of its spiritual flaws.
10. What does Heloise say about her burden?
(a) She says the only way to bear the burden is together with him.
(b) She says burdens can be too heavy.
(c) She says that the burden is more than she can bear.
(d) She says the burden is a joy to bear.
11. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) Mary, mother of Christ.
12. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
(a) He praises his work.
(b) He praises his temperament.
(c) He praises his intellect.
(d) He praises his writing.
13. What does Abelard say was honored by St. Paul and St. Jerome?
14. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
(a) A wardrobe.
(b) A cellaress.
(c) A portress.
(d) A shepherd.
15. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
(a) To have an operation.
(b) To recuperate.
(c) To find a safe refuge.
(d) To instruct monks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
2. What else does Peter the Venerable say he is impressed by?
3. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
4. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
5. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)