|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Write to Peter the Venerable.
(b) Declare his love to Heloise.
(c) Profess his faith.
(d) Write to the pope.
2. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
(a) He honors it.
(b) He is hostile to it.
(c) He does not recognize it.
(d) He sees but does not reward it.
3. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
(a) Saints and serving women.
(b) Martyrs and bureaucrats.
(c) Humble women celebrating Christ and current bishops strutting in robes.
(d) Serving women and saints.
4. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
(a) Contextual application of burdens.
(b) An absolute rule for burdens.
(c) A case-by-case standard for burdens.
(d) Rules that respect gender differences.
5. Who does Peter the Venerable cite to Heloise in his letter?
(a) Women who overcame difficulties.
(b) Women who loved great men.
(c) Women who led other women.
(d) Women who led nations.
6. What is the tone of the first part of Letter 9?
7. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
8. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
(a) He refused it.
(b) He already acted on it.
(c) He said he would take it.
(d) He had not responded.
9. What does Peter the Venerable say is his estimation of Abelard?
(a) A brilliant religious thinker.
(b) A skilled manager.
(c) Truly a great man.
(d) An effective bureaucrat.
10. What does Abelard say about the daughters of Aaron?
(a) They excelled their brothers in devotion.
(b) They took the priestly offices from their brothers.
(c) They betrayed their brothers' priestly duties.
(d) They held priestly office equally with their brothers.
11. What does the sender of Letter 9 say about Abelard?
(a) That he has just received a letter about him.
(b) That he has just received a letter from him.
(c) That he passed through.
(d) That the monks at his monastery were trying to kill him.
12. Who sent Letter 9?
(b) The Abbott of Cluny.
(d) The pope.
13. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
(a) Return to his monastery.
(b) Retreat to Cluny.
(c) Continue his travels.
(d) To see Heloise.
14. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
(a) Anselm of Laon.
(b) The Abbot of Citeaux.
(c) The pope.
15. What does Abelard say life becomes in poverty?
(a) A common store.
(b) A community.
(c) A resource.
(d) A firm law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
2. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
3. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
4. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
5. What does Peter the Venerable say to Heloise in Letter 10?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)