|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
(b) Heloise's demand for information.
(c) Heloise's request for patience.
(d) Heloise's request for leniency.
2. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
(a) Mary, mother of Christ.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
3. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
(a) Beg for forgiveness.
(b) Obey Abelard.
(d) Seek God.
4. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
(a) In the last years of Abelard's life.
(b) In Peter the Venerable's travels.
(c) In his pilgrimage through Abelard's monastery.
(d) In Abelard's travels.
5. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
(a) He already acted on it.
(b) He said he would take it.
(c) He refused it.
(d) He had not responded.
6. Who received Letter 9?
(a) The Abbott of Cluny.
(d) The pope.
7. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
(a) Let Abelard live in Cluny.
(b) Stop persecuting Abelard.
(c) Compensate Abelard for his sufferings.
(d) Punish Abelard's persecutors.
8. What does the sender of Letter 9 say about Abelard?
(a) That he has just received a letter about him.
(b) That he passed through.
(c) That he has just received a letter from him.
(d) That the monks at his monastery were trying to kill him.
9. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
(a) Emptying the mind.
(b) Ascending to God.
(c) Concentrating the mind.
(d) Purifying the mind.
10. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
(b) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
(c) To forgive her.
(d) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
11. What does Peter the Venerable say Abelard's last days with him were devoted to?
12. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is preparing Abelard's case.
(b) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(c) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
(d) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
13. What did Abelard do in the place Peter the Venerable sent him?
(a) Saw Heloise.
(b) Continued his studies.
(c) Wrote a book about religion.
(d) Set up a new monastery.
14. What else did Abelard do right before he died?
(a) Receive absolution.
(b) Confess his sins.
(c) Write out his last will.
(d) Compose hymns.
15. What does Peter the Venerable say to Heloise in Letter 10?
(a) He is happy to hear from her.
(b) He cannot help her.
(c) He will try to help her.
(d) He is sorry to hear about her situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
2. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
3. Who was Innocent II?
4. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
5. Who does Peter the Venerable cite to Heloise in his letter?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)