|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are things distributed in poverty, according to Abelard?
(a) According to right.
(b) According to need.
(c) According to power.
(d) According to deserving.
2. What does Peter the Venerable say to Heloise in Letter 10?
(a) He is happy to hear from her.
(b) He is sorry to hear about her situation.
(c) He cannot help her.
(d) He will try to help her.
3. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A wardrobe.
(c) A cellaress.
(d) A portress.
4. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(b) To forgive her.
(c) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
(d) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
5. Whom does Abelard say Jesus honored?
(c) Serving women.
6. What else does Peter the Venerable say he is impressed by?
(a) Heloise's graceful handling of her difficulties.
(b) Heloise's improvements in the monastic system.
(c) Heloise's generosity to the convent.
(d) Heloise's recommendations to the church bureaucracy.
7. Who received Letter 9?
(a) The Abbott of Cluny.
(c) The pope.
8. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
9. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
(a) Prepared for the Last Supper.
(b) Anointed Christ with oil.
(c) Discovered Christ's empty tomb.
(d) Took Christ down from the cross.
10. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
11. Who sent Letter 9?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Abbott of Cluny.
12. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
(a) Lifelong chastity.
(b) Management experience.
(c) Broad life experience.
(d) Learning and teaching.
13. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
(a) Return to his monastery.
(b) To see Heloise.
(c) Continue his travels.
(d) Retreat to Cluny.
14. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
(a) That he has proposed an order for nuns.
(b) That he is accused of heresy.
(c) That he is instituting progressive reforms.
(d) That he is becoming a popular leader.
15. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
(a) In his pilgrimage through Abelard's monastery.
(b) In the last years of Abelard's life.
(c) In Peter the Venerable's travels.
(d) In Abelard's travels.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard define poverty?
2. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
3. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
4. Where does God look for virtue, according to Heloise?
5. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)