|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say is his estimation of Abelard?
(a) An effective bureaucrat.
(b) A skilled manager.
(c) A brilliant religious thinker.
(d) Truly a great man.
2. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
(a) Free her from the convent.
(b) Write down the history of her misfortunes.
(c) Proscribe rules for her convent.
(d) Lay out acts of devotion for her to perform.
3. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
4. Who received Letter 9?
(a) The Abbott of Cluny.
(c) The pope.
5. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
(a) It is more pleasing to God.
(b) It is only appropriate for certain things.
(c) It is the same as men's virtues.
(d) It is useful for different things in religion.
6. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
(a) Compensate Abelard for his sufferings.
(b) Stop persecuting Abelard.
(c) Let Abelard live in Cluny.
(d) Punish Abelard's persecutors.
7. What does Abelard say about the daughters of Aaron?
(a) They excelled their brothers in devotion.
(b) They held priestly office equally with their brothers.
(c) They betrayed their brothers' priestly duties.
(d) They took the priestly offices from their brothers.
8. What is it that ultimately pleases God, according to Heloise?
9. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
(a) Keeping oneself pure.
(b) Knowing your place.
(c) Knowing yourself.
(d) Holding your tongue.
10. What else does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To declare his love for her.
(b) To describe the people at his monastery.
(c) To describe his devotional practice.
(d) To describe the authority due to one in her position.
11. Who sent Letter 9?
(b) The pope.
(c) The Abbott of Cluny.
12. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
(b) Details of her life in the convent.
(c) Her prayers.
(d) A sketch of the rule she requested from him.
13. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To forgive her.
(b) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
(c) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(d) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
14. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(a) His monastery's practices.
(c) Different religions' monastic practices.
(d) Ancient practices.
15. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
(a) The pope.
(c) The sun and moon.
(d) The oldest gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
2. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
3. What does Peter the Venerable say he is particularly impressed by?
4. What does Abelard say was honored by St. Paul and St. Jerome?
5. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)