|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
(a) Her request for an end to his sufferings.
(b) Her request for a history of his experience.
(c) Her request for a reason to keep suffering.
(d) Her request for a rule.
2. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
(b) He is preparing Abelard's case.
(c) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(d) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
3. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
(a) A cellaress.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) A wardrobe.
(d) A portress.
4. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
5. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
(a) Dependency on the world.
(b) Excess of sin.
(c) Excess of words.
6. In Letter 8, what does Abelard say women tend to stray toward?
(a) Earthly distractions.
(d) Sensual pleasures.
7. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
(a) He praises his work.
(b) He praises his temperament.
(c) He praises his writing.
(d) He praises his intellect.
8. What is it that ultimately pleases God, according to Heloise?
9. When was letter 9 likely written?
10. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
(a) It is only appropriate for certain things.
(b) It is the same as men's virtues.
(c) It is useful for different things in religion.
(d) It is more pleasing to God.
11. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
(a) Listen to the details of her feelings.
(b) Ask her to recount her sufferings.
(c) Hold her to a standard above herself.
(d) Be sensitive to her weakness.
12. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
(b) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
(c) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(d) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
13. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
(a) The Abbot of Citeaux.
(b) Anselm of Laon.
(d) The pope.
14. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
(a) The weak cannot bear the same burdens as the strong.
(b) The weak should be just as burdened as the strong.
(c) The weak should be able to bear the same burdens as the strong.
(d) The strong should try to strengthen the weak to bear more burdens.
15. For what did Heloise ask Peter the Venerable in her response?
(a) A letter to the pope on Abelard's behalf.
(b) A record of Abelard's last days.
(c) A sealed document containing Abelard's absolution.
(d) A certificate of Abelard's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abelard do right before he died?
2. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
3. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
4. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
5. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)