|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(a) Ancient practices.
(c) Different religions' monastic practices.
(d) His monastery's practices.
2. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
(b) The abbot.
(d) The pope.
3. What is the tone of the first part of Letter 9?
4. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
(a) A family.
(b) A business.
(c) An army.
(d) The government.
5. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
(a) People can learn them from each other.
(b) They vary from person to person.
(c) They are not reliable.
(d) They can be feigned.
6. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
(a) To instruct monks.
(b) To have an operation.
(c) To find a safe refuge.
(d) To recuperate.
7. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
8. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
(a) The sun and moon.
(c) The oldest gods.
(d) The pope.
9. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
(a) A portress.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) A cellaress.
(d) A wardrobe.
10. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
(a) Examples of women who bore more than men could bear.
(b) Reasons why women should not receive lighter burdens.
(c) Reasons why women should receive lighter burdens.
(d) Examples of women favored by the church.
11. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
(a) Stop persecuting Abelard.
(b) Compensate Abelard for his sufferings.
(c) Let Abelard live in Cluny.
(d) Punish Abelard's persecutors.
12. What does the sender of Letter 9 say about Abelard?
(a) That he has just received a letter from him.
(b) That he has just received a letter about him.
(c) That he passed through.
(d) That the monks at his monastery were trying to kill him.
13. What does Peter the Venerable say to Heloise in Letter 10?
(a) He is sorry to hear about her situation.
(b) He is happy to hear from her.
(c) He cannot help her.
(d) He will try to help her.
14. What was Heloise's response to Peter the Venerable's letter?
15. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
(a) Keeping oneself pure.
(b) Knowing yourself.
(c) Knowing your place.
(d) Holding your tongue.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
2. In Letter 6, what does Heloise ask Abelard to do for her?
3. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
4. When was letter 9 likely written?
5. Who sent Letter 9?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)