|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
(a) They can be feigned.
(b) They are not reliable.
(c) People can learn them from each other.
(d) They vary from person to person.
2. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
3. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
(a) The same in everyone.
(b) Differently in different people.
(c) In each according to his talents.
(d) In each according to his weakness.
4. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
(a) He sees but does not reward it.
(b) He honors it.
(c) He does not recognize it.
(d) He is hostile to it.
5. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(b) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
(c) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
(d) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
6. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
(a) Prepared for the Last Supper.
(b) Discovered Christ's empty tomb.
(c) Took Christ down from the cross.
(d) Anointed Christ with oil.
7. What is it that ultimately pleases God, according to Heloise?
8. Who received Letter 9?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Abbott of Cluny.
9. For what did Heloise ask Peter the Venerable in her response?
(a) A record of Abelard's last days.
(b) A letter to the pope on Abelard's behalf.
(c) A sealed document containing Abelard's absolution.
(d) A certificate of Abelard's death.
10. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
(b) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(c) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
(d) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
11. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
(a) It contracted.
(b) It almost went extinct.
(c) It expanded.
(d) It ceased.
12. What was the sender of Letter 9 trying to offer Abelard?
13. What does Peter the Venerable wish for in his letter to Heloise?
(a) He wishes that everyone followed her example.
(b) He wishes that she were a leader in government.
(c) He wishes that his monastery possessed her.
(d) He wishes that all nuns were so beautiful.
14. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Gather supporters.
(b) Flee the country.
(c) Appeal to the pope.
(d) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
15. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
(a) He refused it.
(b) He said he would take it.
(c) He already acted on it.
(d) He had not responded.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Abelard with Peter the Venerable?
2. What promise does Peter the Venerable make to Heloise in the last letter?
3. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
4. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
5. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)