|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's request for patience.
(b) Heloise's request for leniency.
(c) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
(d) Heloise's demand for information.
2. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
(a) Rules that respect gender differences.
(b) Contextual application of burdens.
(c) An absolute rule for burdens.
(d) A case-by-case standard for burdens.
3. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(b) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
(c) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
(d) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
4. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
5. How would you describe Abelard's method of arranging Letter 7?
(a) A developmental crescendo.
6. Who received Letter 9?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Abbott of Cluny.
7. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(a) Ancient practices.
(b) His monastery's practices.
(d) Different religions' monastic practices.
8. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
(a) It repaired the split with the letter's recipient.
(b) It fit his age and calling.
(c) It demonstrated contrition.
(d) It showed deference.
9. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
(a) Punish Abelard's persecutors.
(b) Stop persecuting Abelard.
(c) Compensate Abelard for his sufferings.
(d) Let Abelard live in Cluny.
10. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
(a) It is the same as men's virtues.
(b) It is only appropriate for certain things.
(c) It is useful for different things in religion.
(d) It is more pleasing to God.
11. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
(a) The government.
(b) A family.
(c) A business.
(d) An army.
12. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
13. What contrast does Abelard describe between early practice and current practice?
(a) Serving women and saints.
(b) Humble women celebrating Christ and current bishops strutting in robes.
(c) Saints and serving women.
(d) Martyrs and bureaucrats.
14. Who sent Letter 9?
(b) The pope.
(c) The Abbott of Cluny.
15. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
(a) Heloise's piety.
(b) Heloise's writings.
(c) Heloise's background.
(d) Heloise's contrition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Innocent II?
2. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
3. Who was Peter the Venerable?
4. What does Peter the Venerable say he is particularly impressed by?
5. What does Peter the Venerable say is his estimation of Abelard?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)