|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
2. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
(a) Asking her for help.
(b) Asking her to pray for him.
(c) Asking for her whereabouts.
(d) Asking for her forgiveness.
3. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
(d) To survive.
4. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
(a) She pretends to be miserable over Abelard's plight.
(b) She pretends not to make a demand.
(c) She pretends to be happy where she is.
(d) She pretends to be optimistic about seeing Abelard again.
5. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
(a) It sets the stage.
(b) It summarizes the action of the remaining letters.
(c) It comments on the action that already unfolded in the remaining letters.
(d) It predicts what will come.
6. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
(a) How she resisted his requests to marry.
(b) How he resisted her requests to marry.
(c) How he was brave in the face of her father's disapproval.
(d) How she resisted his advances.
7. Where did Abelard study?
8. What explanation does Abelard offer for his action?
(a) He did not want to make her suffer.
(b) He thought she could not love him now.
(c) He thought their time together was over.
(d) He wanted to put the past behind him.
9. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
(b) Ordinary experience.
(c) His letter.
(d) Her childhood.
10. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(b) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
(c) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
(d) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
11. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
(b) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
(c) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(d) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
12. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(b) How he is doing.
(c) When she will see him again.
(d) Why she has not heard from him.
13. What does Heloise say will prevent her from praying for Abelard?
(d) Irreligious sentiments.
14. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard to do?
(a) Tell her about his situation in detail.
(b) Spare her further grief.
(c) Come to see her.
(d) Rescue her from the convent.
15. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
2. What does Heloise say, in Letter 4, she cannot find?
3. What does Abelard say was the consequence of his lust for Heloise?
4. In Letter 5, what does Abelard say he is surprised by?
5. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)