|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
(a) Whatever he asks.
(b) Repay him in love for what he has lost.
(c) Repay her father's men for what they did.
(d) Find him at his monastery.
2. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
(a) How he resisted her requests to marry.
(b) How she resisted his advances.
(c) How she resisted his requests to marry.
(d) How he was brave in the face of her father's disapproval.
3. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
(a) His love of women.
(b) His volatile personality.
(c) His even temper.
(d) His devotion.
4. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
(a) Being killed.
(b) Going to hell.
(c) Being exiled.
(d) Being harmed further.
5. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
(a) By failing to describe her as his wife.
(b) By writing with only grief and worry.
(c) By asking her to intervene in his salvation.
(d) By writing to her at the convent.
6. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is a hypocrite.
(b) That she is the most miserable of women.
(c) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(d) That she is chaste.
7. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His physical pain.
(b) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(c) His despair at his condition.
(d) His absence from Heloise.
8. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was an outrage against his humanity.
(b) It destroyed him.
(c) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(d) It was Fulbert's right.
9. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
10. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
11. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her abbot.
12. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(c) St. Denis.
13. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
(a) As her deliverer.
(b) As her partner in guilt and grace.
(c) As her saint.
(d) As her enemy.
14. What sin does Abelard remind Heloise of?
(a) Enjoying their lovemaking.
(b) Making love at the refectory.
(c) Getting married in secret.
(d) Falling in love before being married.
15. What does Abelard say is a danger to Heloise's body?
(a) Her bitterness.
(b) Her despair.
(c) Her lust.
(d) Her devotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Abelard study?
2. What does Abelard say Heloise deserves?
3. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
4. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
5. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)