|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
(a) That he felt he owed her a great debt.
(b) That he wanted to hide.
(c) That he did not care for her.
(d) That he was proud of what happened.
2. What sin does Abelard remind Heloise of?
(a) Enjoying their lovemaking.
(b) Making love at the refectory.
(c) Getting married in secret.
(d) Falling in love before being married.
3. What was the status of Abelard's father?
4. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(d) Government work.
5. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
(a) His glory.
(d) His due.
6. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) What she can do for him.
(b) Whether they ought to see each other again.
(c) What her father can do for them.
(d) What he owes her.
7. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) How long his penance should last.
(b) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(c) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
(d) How much she has served him.
8. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Loan him start-up money.
(b) Encourage him.
(c) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(d) Try to stop him.
9. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was Fulbert's right.
(b) It destroyed him.
(c) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(d) It was an outrage against his humanity.
10. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
(a) Abelard alone.
(c) God alone.
11. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Married her.
(b) Taken up scriptural studies.
(c) Left philosophy.
(d) Sent her away.
12. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
(a) Mixed relief and sadness.
(b) Outrage and despair.
(d) Great sorrow.
13. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
(a) Because he felt she needed to know.
(b) Because she asked him to share his sorrow.
(c) Because he felt she shared his sin and ought to share his sorrow afterward.
(d) Because his conscience required he tell her.
14. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard NOT to do?
(a) Pray for her.
(b) Praise her.
(c) Remember her.
(d) Write to her.
15. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(b) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(c) Debating scripture.
(d) Debating philosophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
2. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
3. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
4. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
5. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)