|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(b) Government work.
2. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(b) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(c) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(d) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
3. What was the status of Abelard's father?
4. Who else does Heloise say was affected by Abelard's letter?
(a) His abbot.
(c) Her father.
(d) The nuns.
5. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) Only Heloise.
(b) Heloise's father.
(c) Heloise and the nuns.
(d) The men who castrated him.
6. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it not take place for two years.
(b) That it take place in secret.
(c) That it be a large celebration.
(d) That it take place immediately.
7. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
(a) Gave it to the church.
(b) Gave it to his brother's eldest son.
(c) Managed it together with his brothers.
(d) Gave it to his mother.
8. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
(a) Consolation doubled.
(b) All the consolation there is.
(c) The basis of love.
(d) Consolation eased.
9. What does Abelard admit to in Letter 3?
(a) Owing her a great debt.
(b) Avoiding contact with her.
(c) Disappointing her.
(d) Feeling freed of her.
10. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
(a) She pretends to be miserable over Abelard's plight.
(b) She pretends to be optimistic about seeing Abelard again.
(c) She pretends to be happy where she is.
(d) She pretends not to make a demand.
11. What does Abelard say Heloise deserves?
12. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
(a) Being harmed further.
(b) Going to hell.
(c) Being killed.
(d) Being exiled.
13. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) What her father can do for them.
(b) Whether they ought to see each other again.
(c) What he owes her.
(d) What she can do for him.
14. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
(a) His volatile personality.
(b) His love of women.
(c) His devotion.
(d) His even temper.
15. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(c) St. Denis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Abelard study?
2. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
3. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
4. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
5. What sin does Abelard remind Heloise of?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)