|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say Heloise deserves?
2. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) How he is doing.
(b) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(c) Why she has not heard from him.
(d) When she will see him again.
3. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
(a) Being killed.
(b) Being exiled.
(c) Being harmed further.
(d) Going to hell.
4. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
(a) Tragic and unbearable.
(b) Sad and moving.
(c) Appalling and outrageous.
(d) Moral and instructive.
5. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
(a) A Chinese woman.
(b) An Italian woman.
(c) A German woman.
(d) An Ethiopian woman.
6. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
(a) She says he should suffer until death.
(b) She says he has paid the price with his castration.
(c) She says he is forgiven in her eyes and so should no longer suffer.
(d) She says he will never be finished expiating his crime.
7. Where did Abelard study?
8. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
(c) An apology.
(d) A letter.
9. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) Only Heloise.
(b) Heloise and the nuns.
(c) Heloise's father.
(d) The men who castrated him.
10. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard to do?
(a) Spare her further grief.
(b) Rescue her from the convent.
(c) Tell her about his situation in detail.
(d) Come to see her.
11. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
(b) God alone.
(c) Abelard alone.
12. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
(a) The luckiest of women.
(b) The most hypocritical woman.
(c) The most wretched of women.
(d) The most irreligious woman.
13. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
(a) Her father.
(d) Her abbot.
14. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
(a) Malicious men.
(b) Cruel fate.
(c) His sins.
(d) Original sin.
15. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
(a) Asking for her forgiveness.
(b) Asking for her whereabouts.
(c) Asking her to pray for him.
(d) Asking her for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
2. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
3. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
4. What does Heloise say men say about her?
5. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)