|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her abbot.
2. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
(a) To sequester her away from suitors.
(b) To let her recover from illness.
(c) To avoid the disgrace of a hasty marriage.
(d) To hide her pregnancy.
3. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
(a) Writing him with her complaints.
(b) Trying to see him.
(c) Rebelling against fate.
(d) Doubting God's grace.
4. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) Why she has not heard from him.
(b) How he is doing.
(c) When she will see him again.
(d) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
5. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
(a) As her deliverer.
(b) As her saint.
(c) As her enemy.
(d) As her partner in guilt and grace.
6. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Faith to see her through.
(b) To forget him.
(c) Freedom from pain.
(d) Never to forget.
7. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(d) Government work.
8. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
(a) He lodged with her family.
(b) He took her on as a private student in his home.
(c) He stole her away from her parents.
(d) He sent her anonymous letters.
9. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is a hypocrite.
(b) That she is chaste.
(c) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(d) That she is the most miserable of women.
10. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
(b) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
(c) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
(d) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
11. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
(a) Making things right with her father.
(b) The arrogance of their actions.
(c) The salvation of his soul.
(d) The salvation of her soul.
12. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
(b) An apology.
(d) A letter.
13. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(c) St. Denis.
14. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
(a) Because his conscience required he tell her.
(b) Because he felt she shared his sin and ought to share his sorrow afterward.
(c) Because she asked him to share his sorrow.
(d) Because he felt she needed to know.
15. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
(a) His suffering.
(b) His devotion to God.
(c) His outrage.
(d) His love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
2. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
3. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
4. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
5. Who else does Heloise say was affected by Abelard's letter?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)