|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
(a) Because of her kind letter to him.
(b) Because of her devotion to God.
(c) Because she disavows praise.
(d) Because she entered the convent.
2. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
(a) He sent her anonymous letters.
(b) He took her on as a private student in his home.
(c) He stole her away from her parents.
(d) He lodged with her family.
3. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
(a) Gave it to his mother.
(b) Gave it to his brother's eldest son.
(c) Gave it to the church.
(d) Managed it together with his brothers.
4. What was the status of Abelard's father?
5. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
(a) His forgiveness.
(b) God's will.
(c) Her father's forgiveness.
(d) Her father's permission to return home.
6. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
(a) Memory of the pleasure of lovemaking.
(b) Delight in the sinfulness of fornication.
(c) Her knowledge of God's grace.
7. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Never to forget.
(b) Faith to see her through.
(c) To forget him.
(d) Freedom from pain.
8. What does Heloise say will prevent her from praying for Abelard?
(a) Irreligious sentiments.
9. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
10. What does Heloise say, in Letter 4, she cannot find?
11. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
(a) His love.
(b) His suffering.
(c) His outrage.
(d) His devotion to God.
12. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
(a) His father.
(c) Heloise's father.
(d) A friend.
13. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard NOT to do?
(a) Write to her.
(b) Pray for her.
(c) Remember her.
(d) Praise her.
14. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
15. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
(a) Doubting God's grace.
(b) Writing him with her complaints.
(c) Rebelling against fate.
(d) Trying to see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
2. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
3. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
4. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
5. How does Abelard say he writes to Heloise?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)