|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
(b) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(c) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(d) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
2. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(a) William of Champeaux.
(b) Anselm of Laon.
(c) Anselm of Canterbury.
3. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
(a) A Chinese woman.
(b) An Italian woman.
(c) A German woman.
(d) An Ethiopian woman.
4. Where did Abelard study?
5. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
(a) Being exiled.
(b) Being harmed further.
(c) Going to hell.
(d) Being killed.
6. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is chaste.
(b) That she is the most miserable of women.
(c) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(d) That she is a hypocrite.
7. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
(b) Her father.
(d) Her abbot.
8. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) Heloise and the nuns.
(b) The men who castrated him.
(c) Heloise's father.
(d) Only Heloise.
9. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(b) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(c) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
(d) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
10. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Faith to see her through.
(b) To forget him.
(c) Freedom from pain.
(d) Never to forget.
11. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
(a) His even temper.
(b) His love of women.
(c) His volatile personality.
(d) His devotion.
12. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
13. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it take place in secret.
(b) That it be a large celebration.
(c) That it take place immediately.
(d) That it not take place for two years.
14. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard NOT to do?
(a) Remember her.
(b) Write to her.
(c) Praise her.
(d) Pray for her.
15. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
(a) Bury him.
(b) Bless him.
(c) Cremate him.
(d) Embalm him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
2. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
3. What does Abelard remind Heloise he did when she was pregnant?
4. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
5. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)