|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else does Heloise say was affected by Abelard's letter?
(a) The nuns.
(b) Her father.
(d) His abbot.
2. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
3. How does Abelard say he writes to Heloise?
(a) As a superior.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As a lover.
(d) As an inferior.
4. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
(a) It sets the stage.
(b) It predicts what will come.
(c) It summarizes the action of the remaining letters.
(d) It comments on the action that already unfolded in the remaining letters.
5. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) How much she has served him.
(b) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(c) How long his penance should last.
(d) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
6. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
(a) Point by point.
(b) In roundabout fashion.
7. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(b) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
(c) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
(d) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
8. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(d) St. Denis.
9. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
(a) Asking for her whereabouts.
(b) Asking her for help.
(c) Asking her to pray for him.
(d) Asking for her forgiveness.
10. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) How he is doing.
(b) When she will see him again.
(c) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(d) Why she has not heard from him.
11. What does Heloise say men say about her?
(a) That she is a hypocrite.
(b) That she is chaste.
(c) That she is the most miserable of women.
(d) That she is the most fortunate of women.
12. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
(a) A letter.
(d) An apology.
13. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it be a large celebration.
(b) That it take place immediately.
(c) That it take place in secret.
(d) That it not take place for two years.
14. What does Abelard remind Heloise he did when she was pregnant?
(a) Disguise her as a nun.
(b) Hide her from her parents.
(c) Marry in secret.
(d) Send her away for her confinement.
15. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
(b) His letter.
(c) Ordinary experience.
(d) Her childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
2. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
3. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
4. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
5. What does Abelard say Heloise became when she became his wife?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)