|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Debating philosophy.
(b) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(c) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(d) Debating scripture.
2. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
3. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
(a) Disappoint her.
(b) Enlighten her.
(c) Encourage her.
(d) Pray for her.
4. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
(a) A letter.
(b) An apology.
5. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
(a) The inevitability of justice.
(b) The inevitability of suffering.
(c) The power of virtuous men.
(d) The power of prayer.
6. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
(a) The basis of love.
(b) All the consolation there is.
(c) Consolation doubled.
(d) Consolation eased.
7. How does Abelard say he writes to Heloise?
(a) As a lover.
(b) As an inferior.
(c) As a superior.
(d) As a teacher.
8. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) To forget him.
(b) Faith to see her through.
(c) Never to forget.
(d) Freedom from pain.
9. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
(a) He took her on as a private student in his home.
(b) He sent her anonymous letters.
(c) He stole her away from her parents.
(d) He lodged with her family.
10. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
(a) By asking her to intervene in his salvation.
(b) By writing with only grief and worry.
(c) By writing to her at the convent.
(d) By failing to describe her as his wife.
11. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
(b) Mixed relief and sadness.
(c) Outrage and despair.
(d) Great sorrow.
12. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
(a) She pretends to be happy where she is.
(b) She pretends to be optimistic about seeing Abelard again.
(c) She pretends to be miserable over Abelard's plight.
(d) She pretends not to make a demand.
13. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it take place in secret.
(b) That it be a large celebration.
(c) That it take place immediately.
(d) That it not take place for two years.
14. What does Abelard say is a danger to Heloise's body?
(a) Her despair.
(b) Her bitterness.
(c) Her devotion.
(d) Her lust.
15. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
(a) By saying that she saw a letter her father was going to send to his henchmen.
(b) By saying that she saw a letter the abbot was going to send to Abelard.
(c) By saying that she saw a letter he had written to a friend.
(d) By saying that she saw a letter her father had written to the abbot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
2. What does Abelard remind Heloise he did when she was pregnant?
3. What does Abelard admit to in Letter 3?
4. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
5. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)