|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
(a) A German woman.
(b) A Chinese woman.
(c) An Italian woman.
(d) An Ethiopian woman.
2. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
(a) To hide her pregnancy.
(b) To sequester her away from suitors.
(c) To let her recover from illness.
(d) To avoid the disgrace of a hasty marriage.
3. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
(b) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(c) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
(d) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
4. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(b) Debating philosophy.
(c) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(d) Debating scripture.
5. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
6. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(b) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
(c) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
(d) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
7. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
(a) By writing with only grief and worry.
(b) By asking her to intervene in his salvation.
(c) By writing to her at the convent.
(d) By failing to describe her as his wife.
8. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
(a) Enlighten her.
(b) Disappoint her.
(c) Pray for her.
(d) Encourage her.
9. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) The men who castrated him.
(b) Only Heloise.
(c) Heloise and the nuns.
(d) Heloise's father.
10. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
(a) His father.
(b) A friend.
(d) Heloise's father.
11. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
(a) Being exiled.
(b) Going to hell.
(c) Being harmed further.
(d) Being killed.
12. Where was Abelard born?
(a) Le Pallet.
13. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
(a) The luckiest of women.
(b) The most hypocritical woman.
(c) The most wretched of women.
(d) The most irreligious woman.
14. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it take place immediately.
(b) That it take place in secret.
(c) That it be a large celebration.
(d) That it not take place for two years.
15. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
(a) Embalm him.
(b) Bless him.
(c) Cremate him.
(d) Bury him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
2. What does Heloise doubt about Abelard?
3. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
4. What does Heloise say about herself?
5. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)