|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
(a) Asking her for help.
(b) Asking for her forgiveness.
(c) Asking for her whereabouts.
(d) Asking her to pray for him.
2. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
(a) His even temper.
(b) His volatile personality.
(c) His devotion.
(d) His love of women.
3. What does Abelard remind Heloise he did when she was pregnant?
(a) Disguise her as a nun.
(b) Send her away for her confinement.
(c) Marry in secret.
(d) Hide her from her parents.
4. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
(a) Her abbot.
(c) Her father.
5. What does Abelard say Heloise deserves?
6. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(d) St. Denis.
7. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
(a) That he wanted to hide.
(b) That he felt he owed her a great debt.
(c) That he did not care for her.
(d) That he was proud of what happened.
8. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(b) Government work.
9. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
(a) His letting them sin in the first place.
(b) His patience with them in their blindness.
(c) His punishing them after they atoned for their sin
(d) His allowing them to be blind to virtue.
10. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
11. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) What her father can do for them.
(b) What he owes her.
(c) Whether they ought to see each other again.
(d) What she can do for him.
12. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
(b) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
(c) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
(d) Desire for God's forgiveness.
13. Where did Abelard study?
14. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
(b) Heloise's father.
(c) A friend.
(d) His father.
15. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
(a) Encourage her.
(b) Enlighten her.
(c) Disappoint her.
(d) Pray for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
2. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
3. In Letter 5, what does Abelard say he is surprised by?
4. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
5. What does Heloise say, in Letter 4, she cannot find?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)