Short Answer Key
Letter I, Historia Calamitatum, Abelard to a Friend, the Story of His Misfortunes
1. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
2. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
It sets the stage.
3. Where was Abelard born?
4. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
His volatile personality.
5. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
6. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
Gave it to his brother's eldest son.
7. What was the status of Abelard's father?
8. Where did Abelard study?
9. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
10. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
This section contains 2,545 words|
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)