|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
(a) That he has proposed an order for nuns.
(b) That he is instituting progressive reforms.
(c) That he is accused of heresy.
(d) That he is becoming a popular leader.
2. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
(b) Her prayers.
(c) Details of her life in the convent.
(d) A sketch of the rule she requested from him.
3. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
(a) His letting them sin in the first place.
(b) His patience with them in their blindness.
(c) His allowing them to be blind to virtue.
(d) His punishing them after they atoned for their sin
4. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
(a) How he was brave in the face of her father's disapproval.
(b) How he resisted her requests to marry.
(c) How she resisted his advances.
(d) How she resisted his requests to marry.
5. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
(a) To survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
2. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
3. What was the status of Abelard's father?
4. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
5. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)