|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) The men who castrated him.
(b) Heloise's father.
(c) Heloise and the nuns.
(d) Only Heloise.
2. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
(b) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
(c) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(d) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
3. Why did Peter the Venerable send Abelard away?
(a) To find a safe refuge.
(b) To recuperate.
(c) To instruct monks.
(d) To have an operation.
4. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is preparing Abelard's case.
(b) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
(c) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(d) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Gather supporters.
(b) Flee the country.
(c) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(d) Appeal to the pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
2. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
3. What does Peter the Venerable say he admires?
4. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
5. What does Heloise say she admires?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)