|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what did Heloise ask Peter the Venerable in her response?
(a) A letter to the pope on Abelard's behalf.
(b) A certificate of Abelard's death.
(c) A sealed document containing Abelard's absolution.
(d) A record of Abelard's last days.
2. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His absence from Heloise.
(b) His despair at his condition.
(c) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(d) His physical pain.
3. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard NOT to do?
(a) Write to her.
(b) Praise her.
(c) Pray for her.
(d) Remember her.
4. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is the most miserable of women.
(b) That she is a hypocrite.
(c) That she is chaste.
(d) That she is the most fortunate of women.
5. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
2. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
3. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
4. What does Abelard say Heloise became when she became his wife?
5. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)