|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
(b) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
(c) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(d) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
2. What does Heloise say men say about her?
(a) That she is a hypocrite.
(b) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(c) That she is chaste.
(d) That she is the most miserable of women.
3. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
(d) To survive.
4. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
5. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
(a) She pretends to be optimistic about seeing Abelard again.
(b) She pretends not to make a demand.
(c) She pretends to be miserable over Abelard's plight.
(d) She pretends to be happy where she is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
2. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
3. What else does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
4. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)