|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter the Venerable say about Abelard?
(a) He praises his temperament.
(b) He praises his intellect.
(c) He praises his writing.
(d) He praises his work.
2. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
(a) Recant his writing.
(b) Surrender himself.
(c) Stop writing.
(d) Remove offensive language from his writing.
3. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
(c) St. Denis.
4. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
(a) It fit his age and calling.
(b) It demonstrated contrition.
(c) It repaired the split with the letter's recipient.
(d) It showed deference.
5. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Try to stop him.
(b) Encourage him.
(c) Loan him start-up money.
(d) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
2. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
3. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
4. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
5. In Letter 4, for what does Heloise say she is grateful?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)