|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
(a) She says he will never be finished expiating his crime.
(b) She says he should suffer until death.
(c) She says he is forgiven in her eyes and so should no longer suffer.
(d) She says he has paid the price with his castration.
2. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
(a) Convent conventions.
(b) The Old Testament.
(c) Canon law.
(d) The Kabala.
3. What does Abelard admit to in Letter 3?
(a) Avoiding contact with her.
(b) Owing her a great debt.
(c) Disappointing her.
(d) Feeling freed of her.
4. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
5. What does the sender of Letter 9 say about Abelard?
(a) That he has just received a letter from him.
(b) That he passed through.
(c) That the monks at his monastery were trying to kill him.
(d) That he has just received a letter about him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
2. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
3. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
4. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
5. What does Peter the Venerable say is his estimation of Abelard?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)