|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
(a) Outrage and despair.
(c) Mixed relief and sadness.
(d) Great sorrow.
2. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
(a) It predicts what will come.
(b) It comments on the action that already unfolded in the remaining letters.
(c) It summarizes the action of the remaining letters.
(d) It sets the stage.
3. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
(c) A letter.
(d) An apology.
4. What does Heloise doubt about Abelard?
(a) Whether he was prepared to take care of her.
(b) Whether his words were honest.
(c) What drew him to her.
(d) Whether he wanted her for himself or for another.
5. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
(a) Holding your tongue.
(b) Knowing yourself.
(c) Knowing your place.
(d) Keeping oneself pure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Heloise say in Letter 6 Abelard should imitate?
2. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
3. What is it that ultimately pleases God, according to Heloise?
4. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
5. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)