|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of the first part of Letter 9?
2. Where did Abelard study?
3. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
(a) Purifying the mind.
(b) Ascending to God.
(c) Emptying the mind.
(d) Concentrating the mind.
4. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
5. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
(a) Took Christ down from the cross.
(b) Anointed Christ with oil.
(c) Prepared for the Last Supper.
(d) Discovered Christ's empty tomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
2. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
3. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
4. Who was Innocent II?
5. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)