|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say men say about her?
(a) That she is chaste.
(b) That she is a hypocrite.
(c) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(d) That she is the most miserable of women.
2. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
(a) Gave it to his mother.
(b) Managed it together with his brothers.
(c) Gave it to his brother's eldest son.
(d) Gave it to the church.
3. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Debating scripture.
(b) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(c) Debating philosophy.
(d) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
4. Who received Letter 9?
(c) The Abbott of Cluny.
(d) The pope.
5. Who does Peter the Venerable cite to Heloise in his letter?
(a) Women who loved great men.
(b) Women who led nations.
(c) Women who led other women.
(d) Women who overcame difficulties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the sender of Letter 9 think that the action Abelard took was appropriate?
2. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
3. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
4. In Letter 4, what does Heloise say her feelings are in response to Abelard's letter?
5. Where did Peter the Venerable send Abelard?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)