|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
2. From whom was Abelard seeking refuge?
(a) The Abbot of Citeaux.
(b) Anselm of Laon.
(d) The pope.
3. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(b) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(c) Debating scripture.
(d) Debating philosophy.
4. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Sent her away.
(b) Taken up scriptural studies.
(c) Married her.
(d) Left philosophy.
5. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
(a) By writing to her at the convent.
(b) By writing with only grief and worry.
(c) By failing to describe her as his wife.
(d) By asking her to intervene in his salvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Peter the Venerable cite to Heloise in his letter?
2. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard NOT to do?
3. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
4. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
5. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)