|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Freedom from pain.
(b) Never to forget.
(c) Faith to see her through.
(d) To forget him.
2. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
3. What else does Peter the Venerable say he is impressed by?
(a) Heloise's graceful handling of her difficulties.
(b) Heloise's improvements in the monastic system.
(c) Heloise's recommendations to the church bureaucracy.
(d) Heloise's generosity to the convent.
4. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
(a) To sequester her away from suitors.
(b) To let her recover from illness.
(c) To hide her pregnancy.
(d) To avoid the disgrace of a hasty marriage.
5. What does Heloise say about her burden?
(a) She says burdens can be too heavy.
(b) She says the burden is a joy to bear.
(c) She says that the burden is more than she can bear.
(d) She says the only way to bear the burden is together with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
2. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
3. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
4. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
5. What does Abelard say Heloise deserves?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)