|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
(a) The devout acts of Christ.
(b) The freedom she enjoyed before becoming a nun.
(c) The story of Mary Magdalene.
(d) The rule of St. Benedict.
2. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(b) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(c) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(d) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
3. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
(a) Her request for a history of his experience.
(b) Her request for an end to his sufferings.
(c) Her request for a reason to keep suffering.
(d) Her request for a rule.
4. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To forgive her.
(b) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(c) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
(d) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
5. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
(a) Memory of the pleasure of lovemaking.
(c) Delight in the sinfulness of fornication.
(d) Her knowledge of God's grace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say men say about her?
2. Whom does Abelard say Jesus honored?
3. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
4. Where does God look for virtue, according to Heloise?
5. How does Abelard say he writes to Heloise?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)