|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
(a) As her saint.
(b) As her partner in guilt and grace.
(c) As her deliverer.
(d) As her enemy.
2. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
(b) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
(c) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(d) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
3. Where was Abelard born?
(d) Le Pallet.
4. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(b) William of Champeaux.
(c) Anselm of Laon.
(d) Anselm of Canterbury.
5. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
(a) In Roman times.
(b) In Christ's time.
(c) In antiquity.
(d) In the Middle Ages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
2. What does Abelard say life becomes in poverty?
3. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
4. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
5. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)