|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) How he is doing.
(b) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(c) When she will see him again.
(d) Why she has not heard from him.
2. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
(b) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
(c) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(d) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
3. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
(a) In antiquity.
(b) In Christ's time.
(c) In Roman times.
(d) In the Middle Ages.
4. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
(a) It is more pleasing to God.
(b) It is only appropriate for certain things.
(c) It is useful for different things in religion.
(d) It is the same as men's virtues.
5. In Letter 5, what does Abelard say he is surprised by?
(a) Heloise's lustfulness.
(b) Heloise's refusal to accept her situation.
(c) Heloise's bitterness.
(d) Heloise's devotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
2. What does Abelard admit to in Letter 3?
3. What does Heloise say about herself?
4. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
5. What explanation does Abelard offer for his action?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)