|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(d) Government work.
2. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
(b) Desire for God's forgiveness.
(c) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
(d) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
3. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
(a) She says he has paid the price with his castration.
(b) She says he should suffer until death.
(c) She says he is forgiven in her eyes and so should no longer suffer.
(d) She says he will never be finished expiating his crime.
4. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
(b) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(c) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
(d) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
5. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
(a) By saying that she saw a letter her father was going to send to his henchmen.
(b) By saying that she saw a letter he had written to a friend.
(c) By saying that she saw a letter her father had written to the abbot.
(d) By saying that she saw a letter the abbot was going to send to Abelard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
2. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
3. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
4. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
5. What did the woman do, whom Abelard cited in Letter 7?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)