|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His despair at his condition.
(b) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(c) His absence from Heloise.
(d) His physical pain.
2. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
3. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
(a) Obey Abelard.
(c) Seek God.
(d) Beg for forgiveness.
4. What should nuns primarily think about, according to Abelard?
(a) The nature of God.
(b) God's relationship to man.
(c) The inner life.
(d) The history of God and the church.
5. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
(a) Because he felt she needed to know.
(b) Because he felt she shared his sin and ought to share his sorrow afterward.
(c) Because his conscience required he tell her.
(d) Because she asked him to share his sorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
2. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
3. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
4. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
5. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)