|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
(a) Examples of women favored by the church.
(b) Examples of women who bore more than men could bear.
(c) Reasons why women should not receive lighter burdens.
(d) Reasons why women should receive lighter burdens.
2. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
(a) Gave it to his mother.
(b) Gave it to his brother's eldest son.
(c) Gave it to the church.
(d) Managed it together with his brothers.
3. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(b) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
(c) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
(d) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
4. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
(a) The weak cannot bear the same burdens as the strong.
(b) The weak should be just as burdened as the strong.
(c) The strong should try to strengthen the weak to bear more burdens.
(d) The weak should be able to bear the same burdens as the strong.
5. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
(a) An absolute rule for burdens.
(b) Rules that respect gender differences.
(c) Contextual application of burdens.
(d) A case-by-case standard for burdens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
2. What does Abelard say is a danger to Heloise's body?
3. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
4. Where does God look for virtue, according to Heloise?
5. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)