|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
(a) Sad and moving.
(b) Moral and instructive.
(c) Appalling and outrageous.
(d) Tragic and unbearable.
2. Where does God look for virtue, according to Heloise?
(a) The conscience.
(b) The mind.
(c) The heart.
(d) A person's acts.
3. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
(a) His punishing them after they atoned for their sin
(b) His letting them sin in the first place.
(c) His allowing them to be blind to virtue.
(d) His patience with them in their blindness.
4. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Debating scripture.
(b) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(c) Debating philosophy.
(d) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
5. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
(a) His love.
(b) His devotion to God.
(c) His suffering.
(d) His outrage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
2. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
3. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
4. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
5. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)