|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
(b) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(c) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
(d) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
2. What does Heloise say about her burden?
(a) She says burdens can be too heavy.
(b) She says that the burden is more than she can bear.
(c) She says the only way to bear the burden is together with him.
(d) She says the burden is a joy to bear.
3. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
4. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His absence from Heloise.
(b) His physical pain.
(c) His despair at his condition.
(d) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
5. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
(b) Mary, mother of Christ.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
2. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
3. What is it that ultimately pleases God, according to Heloise?
4. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
5. In Letter 4, for what does Heloise say she is grateful?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)