|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Left philosophy.
(b) Married her.
(c) Sent her away.
(d) Taken up scriptural studies.
2. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
(a) Her request for an end to his sufferings.
(b) Her request for a reason to keep suffering.
(c) Her request for a rule.
(d) Her request for a history of his experience.
3. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
(a) The power of prayer.
(b) The inevitability of suffering.
(c) The inevitability of justice.
(d) The power of virtuous men.
4. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
(b) Mary, mother of Christ.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
5. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
2. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
3. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
4. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
5. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)