|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
(a) Delight in the sinfulness of fornication.
(b) Her knowledge of God's grace.
(c) Memory of the pleasure of lovemaking.
2. What does Abelard say Heloise became when she became his wife?
(a) His inferior.
(b) His student.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His superior.
3. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
(a) The power of prayer.
(b) The inevitability of suffering.
(c) The inevitability of justice.
(d) The power of virtuous men.
4. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
(a) He honors it.
(b) He does not recognize it.
(c) He sees but does not reward it.
(d) He is hostile to it.
5. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
(a) The most irreligious woman.
(b) The most wretched of women.
(c) The luckiest of women.
(d) The most hypocritical woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
2. Where was Abelard born?
3. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
4. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
5. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)