|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(b) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(c) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(d) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
2. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
(a) The luckiest of women.
(b) The most irreligious woman.
(c) The most wretched of women.
(d) The most hypocritical woman.
3. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
(a) She says he is forgiven in her eyes and so should no longer suffer.
(b) She says he should suffer until death.
(c) She says he has paid the price with his castration.
(d) She says he will never be finished expiating his crime.
4. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(a) William of Champeaux.
(c) Anselm of Laon.
(d) Anselm of Canterbury.
5. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
(a) His love of women.
(b) His even temper.
(c) His devotion.
(d) His volatile personality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
2. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
3. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
4. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
5. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)