|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say was the consequence of his lust for Heloise?
(a) He lost his reverence for God.
(b) He forgot his duties as a teacher.
(c) He defiled her soul.
(d) He betrayed her father's trust.
2. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(b) His despair at his condition.
(c) His absence from Heloise.
(d) His physical pain.
3. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(b) That she is chaste.
(c) That she is the most miserable of women.
(d) That she is a hypocrite.
4. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
(a) Be sensitive to her weakness.
(b) Ask her to recount her sufferings.
(c) Hold her to a standard above herself.
(d) Listen to the details of her feelings.
5. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
(a) Being harmed further.
(b) Being killed.
(c) Being exiled.
(d) Going to hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
2. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
3. What does Heloise say, in Letter 4, she cannot find?
4. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)