|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it take place immediately.
(b) That it take place in secret.
(c) That it be a large celebration.
(d) That it not take place for two years.
2. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
(a) Appalling and outrageous.
(b) Sad and moving.
(c) Moral and instructive.
(d) Tragic and unbearable.
3. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
(a) Managed it together with his brothers.
(b) Gave it to his brother's eldest son.
(c) Gave it to the church.
(d) Gave it to his mother.
4. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
(a) His father.
(b) A friend.
(c) Heloise's father.
5. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
(b) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(c) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(d) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
2. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
3. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
4. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
5. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)