|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is a hypocrite.
(b) That she is chaste.
(c) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(d) That she is the most miserable of women.
2. How does Abelard say he writes to Heloise?
(a) As an inferior.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As a superior.
(d) As a lover.
3. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
(b) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
(c) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
(d) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
4. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
5. What does Abelard say was honored by St. Paul and St. Jerome?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why aren't outward manifestations reliable in indicating devotion, according to Heloise?
2. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
3. Where does God look for virtue, according to Heloise?
4. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
5. What explanation does Abelard offer for his action?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)