|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 5, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
(a) She says he should suffer until death.
(b) She says he will never be finished expiating his crime.
(c) She says he has paid the price with his castration.
(d) She says he is forgiven in her eyes and so should no longer suffer.
2. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(b) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(c) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
(d) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
3. In Letter 4, for what does Heloise say she is grateful?
(a) That the tempter did not get her to do wrong.
(b) That she is still there to comfort him.
(c) That she still has her eyes to see the world.
(d) That Abelard is still alive to be her companion.
4. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
(a) Memory of the pleasure of lovemaking.
(b) Delight in the sinfulness of fornication.
(d) Her knowledge of God's grace.
5. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
(a) As her partner in guilt and grace.
(b) As her deliverer.
(c) As her saint.
(d) As her enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
2. Where was Abelard born?
3. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
4. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
5. What does Heloise say, in Letter 4, she cannot find?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)