|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 5, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(b) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(c) Debating scripture.
(d) Debating philosophy.
2. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
(a) The power of prayer.
(b) The inevitability of suffering.
(c) The inevitability of justice.
(d) The power of virtuous men.
3. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
(a) The salvation of his soul.
(b) The salvation of her soul.
(c) Making things right with her father.
(d) The arrogance of their actions.
4. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
(a) Doubting God's grace.
(b) Rebelling against fate.
(c) Writing him with her complaints.
(d) Trying to see him.
5. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
(a) Her father's forgiveness.
(b) Her father's permission to return home.
(c) His forgiveness.
(d) God's will.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
2. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
3. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
4. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
5. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)