|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 5, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(b) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(c) Debating philosophy.
(d) Debating scripture.
2. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
(a) It predicts what will come.
(b) It sets the stage.
(c) It summarizes the action of the remaining letters.
(d) It comments on the action that already unfolded in the remaining letters.
3. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) The men who castrated him.
(b) Heloise and the nuns.
(c) Only Heloise.
(d) Heloise's father.
4. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
(a) Find him at his monastery.
(b) Whatever he asks.
(c) Repay him in love for what he has lost.
(d) Repay her father's men for what they did.
5. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is chaste.
(b) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(c) That she is the most miserable of women.
(d) That she is a hypocrite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
3. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
4. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
5. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)