|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 4, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Heloise describe herself to Abelard?
(a) The most irreligious woman.
(b) The luckiest of women.
(c) The most wretched of women.
(d) The most hypocritical woman.
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(b) Encourage him.
(c) Loan him start-up money.
(d) Try to stop him.
3. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
4. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
(a) To hide her pregnancy.
(b) To avoid the disgrace of a hasty marriage.
(c) To let her recover from illness.
(d) To sequester her away from suitors.
5. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
(a) She says he will never be finished expiating his crime.
(b) She says he should suffer until death.
(c) She says he is forgiven in her eyes and so should no longer suffer.
(d) She says he has paid the price with his castration.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
2. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
3. What explanation does Abelard offer for his action?
4. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
5. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)