|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 4, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(b) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
(c) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(d) William of Champeaux invited him back.
2. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
(a) He owes her an enormous debt.
(b) He has to redeem her.
(c) She has to redeem him.
(d) She owes him an enormous debt.
3. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
(a) She says he will never be finished expiating his crime.
(b) She says he has paid the price with his castration.
(c) She says he should suffer until death.
(d) She says he is forgiven in her eyes and so should no longer suffer.
4. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Freedom from pain.
(b) Never to forget.
(c) To forget him.
(d) Faith to see her through.
5. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
(a) Heloise's father.
(c) His father.
(d) A friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
2. What does Heloise say about herself?
3. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
4. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
5. What does Heloise say are her feelings toward God?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)