|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 4, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
(a) Memory of the pleasure of lovemaking.
(b) Her knowledge of God's grace.
(c) Delight in the sinfulness of fornication.
2. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
(a) His even temper.
(b) His devotion.
(c) His volatile personality.
(d) His love of women.
3. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(b) Debating scripture.
(c) Debating philosophy.
(d) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
4. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Left philosophy.
(b) Taken up scriptural studies.
(c) Sent her away.
(d) Married her.
5. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(b) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(c) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(d) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
2. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
3. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
4. What does Heloise doubt about Abelard?
5. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard to do?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)