|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
(b) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
(c) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(d) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
2. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
(a) Repay her father's men for what they did.
(b) Find him at his monastery.
(c) Repay him in love for what he has lost.
(d) Whatever he asks.
3. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(b) Debating philosophy.
(c) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(d) Debating scripture.
4. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
(a) Abelard alone.
(c) God alone.
5. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
(a) How he was brave in the face of her father's disapproval.
(b) How she resisted his advances.
(c) How she resisted his requests to marry.
(d) How he resisted her requests to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
2. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
3. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
4. What does Heloise say she admires?
5. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)