|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
(a) To avoid the disgrace of a hasty marriage.
(b) To let her recover from illness.
(c) To hide her pregnancy.
(d) To sequester her away from suitors.
2. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
(b) His father.
(c) A friend.
(d) Heloise's father.
3. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) Heloise and the nuns.
(b) Heloise's father.
(c) The men who castrated him.
(d) Only Heloise.
4. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
(a) How she resisted his advances.
(b) How she resisted his requests to marry.
(c) How he was brave in the face of her father's disapproval.
(d) How he resisted her requests to marry.
5. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Debating scripture.
(b) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(c) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(d) Debating philosophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
2. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
3. What does Abelard admit to in Letter 3?
4. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
5. What was the status of Abelard's father?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)