|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(b) It was Fulbert's right.
(c) It destroyed him.
(d) It was an outrage against his humanity.
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Try to stop him.
(b) Encourage him.
(c) Loan him start-up money.
(d) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
3. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
(a) All the consolation there is.
(b) Consolation eased.
(c) Consolation doubled.
(d) The basis of love.
4. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
(a) The power of prayer.
(b) The inevitability of justice.
(c) The power of virtuous men.
(d) The inevitability of suffering.
5. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(c) Government work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
2. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
3. What does Heloise say she admires?
4. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
5. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)