|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(b) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
(c) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(d) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
2. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
(a) She pretends to be optimistic about seeing Abelard again.
(b) She pretends to be happy where she is.
(c) She pretends to be miserable over Abelard's plight.
(d) She pretends not to make a demand.
3. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
(a) She has to redeem him.
(b) She owes him an enormous debt.
(c) He has to redeem her.
(d) He owes her an enormous debt.
4. What does Heloise doubt about Abelard?
(a) Whether he wanted her for himself or for another.
(b) Whether he was prepared to take care of her.
(c) What drew him to her.
(d) Whether his words were honest.
5. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it not take place for two years.
(b) That it take place in secret.
(c) That it take place immediately.
(d) That it be a large celebration.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
2. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
3. Where did Abelard study?
4. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
5. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)