|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
(a) To let her recover from illness.
(b) To sequester her away from suitors.
(c) To avoid the disgrace of a hasty marriage.
(d) To hide her pregnancy.
2. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
(a) The basis of love.
(b) Consolation eased.
(c) All the consolation there is.
(d) Consolation doubled.
3. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
(a) His love.
(b) His outrage.
(c) His devotion to God.
(d) His suffering.
4. What does Heloise doubt about Abelard?
(a) Whether he wanted her for himself or for another.
(b) What drew him to her.
(c) Whether his words were honest.
(d) Whether he was prepared to take care of her.
5. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
(b) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
(c) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
(d) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
2. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
3. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
4. What does Heloise demand from Abelard?
5. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)