|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 2, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Encourage him.
(b) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(c) Try to stop him.
(d) Loan him start-up money.
2. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
(b) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(c) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
(d) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
3. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was an outrage against his humanity.
(b) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(c) It was Fulbert's right.
(d) It destroyed him.
4. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
(a) She pretends to be miserable over Abelard's plight.
(b) She pretends to be happy where she is.
(c) She pretends not to make a demand.
(d) She pretends to be optimistic about seeing Abelard again.
5. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
(a) It sets the stage.
(b) It summarizes the action of the remaining letters.
(c) It predicts what will come.
(d) It comments on the action that already unfolded in the remaining letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
2. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
3. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
4. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
5. Where was Abelard born?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)