|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 2, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
(a) Mixed relief and sadness.
(b) Great sorrow.
(d) Outrage and despair.
2. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
(a) Tragic and unbearable.
(b) Sad and moving.
(c) Appalling and outrageous.
(d) Moral and instructive.
3. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(b) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
(c) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
(d) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
4. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
(a) He lodged with her family.
(b) He stole her away from her parents.
(c) He sent her anonymous letters.
(d) He took her on as a private student in his home.
5. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
(a) All the consolation there is.
(b) Consolation doubled.
(c) Consolation eased.
(d) The basis of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
2. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
3. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
4. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
5. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)