|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 2, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(b) Debating philosophy.
(c) Debating scripture.
(d) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
2. Where did Abelard study?
3. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
(a) His love of women.
(b) His devotion.
(c) His even temper.
(d) His volatile personality.
4. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was Fulbert's right.
(b) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(c) It was an outrage against his humanity.
(d) It destroyed him.
5. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
(a) She pretends not to make a demand.
(b) She pretends to be miserable over Abelard's plight.
(c) She pretends to be happy where she is.
(d) She pretends to be optimistic about seeing Abelard again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
2. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
3. What was the status of Abelard's father?
4. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
5. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)