|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 2, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(b) Debating scripture.
(c) Debating philosophy.
(d) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
2. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Loan him start-up money.
(b) Try to stop him.
(c) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(d) Encourage him.
3. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(b) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(c) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
(d) William of Champeaux invited him back.
4. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
(a) All the consolation there is.
(b) Consolation doubled.
(c) The basis of love.
(d) Consolation eased.
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) What she can do for him.
(b) What her father can do for them.
(c) Whether they ought to see each other again.
(d) What he owes her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
2. Where did Abelard study?
3. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
4. What was the status of Abelard's father?
5. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)