|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 2, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) What he owes her.
(b) What she can do for him.
(c) Whether they ought to see each other again.
(d) What her father can do for them.
2. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
(b) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(c) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(d) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
3. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(a) Anselm of Canterbury.
(b) Anselm of Laon.
(c) William of Champeaux.
4. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
(a) Find him at his monastery.
(b) Repay him in love for what he has lost.
(c) Whatever he asks.
(d) Repay her father's men for what they did.
5. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
(a) By saying that she saw a letter her father was going to send to his henchmen.
(b) By saying that she saw a letter her father had written to the abbot.
(c) By saying that she saw a letter the abbot was going to send to Abelard.
(d) By saying that she saw a letter he had written to a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
2. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
3. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
4. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
5. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)