|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 2, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Sent her away.
(b) Married her.
(c) Left philosophy.
(d) Taken up scriptural studies.
2. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was an outrage against his humanity.
(b) It was Fulbert's right.
(c) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(d) It destroyed him.
3. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
(b) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
(c) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(d) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
4. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
(a) He stole her away from her parents.
(b) He sent her anonymous letters.
(c) He took her on as a private student in his home.
(d) He lodged with her family.
5. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Debating philosophy.
(b) Debating scripture.
(c) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(d) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
2. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
3. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
4. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
5. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)