|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 5, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(b) Loan him start-up money.
(c) Try to stop him.
(d) Encourage him.
2. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
3. Who else does Heloise say was affected by Abelard's letter?
(a) Her father.
(c) The nuns.
(d) His abbot.
4. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
(a) As her deliverer.
(b) As her partner in guilt and grace.
(c) As her enemy.
(d) As her saint.
5. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
(a) By saying that she saw a letter he had written to a friend.
(b) By saying that she saw a letter her father had written to the abbot.
(c) By saying that she saw a letter the abbot was going to send to Abelard.
(d) By saying that she saw a letter her father was going to send to his henchmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
2. Where did Abelard study?
3. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
4. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
5. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)