|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was letter 9 likely written?
2. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
3. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His physical pain.
(b) His absence from Heloise.
(c) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(d) His despair at his condition.
4. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
(a) Repay her father's men for what they did.
(b) Repay him in love for what he has lost.
(c) Find him at his monastery.
(d) Whatever he asks.
5. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(b) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
(c) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
(d) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
3. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
4. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
5. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)