|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Letter 8, what does Abelard say women tend to stray toward?
(a) Earthly distractions.
(d) Sensual pleasures.
2. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
(a) Because Abelard was heavily in debt to him.
(b) Because Abelard had an affair with a serving girl.
(c) Because Abelard set out to disprove him.
(d) Because Abelard was arrogant and disruptive.
3. What does Heloise say about herself?
(a) That she is a hypocrite.
(b) That she is the most miserable of women.
(c) That she is chaste.
(d) That she is the most fortunate of women.
4. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(a) William of Champeaux.
(b) Anselm of Canterbury.
(c) Anselm of Laon.
5. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
(a) Being killed.
(b) Being exiled.
(c) Being harmed further.
(d) Going to hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
2. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
3. When was letter 9 likely written?
4. What does Heloise say she feels in Abelard's absence?
5. What is the tone of the last part of Letter 9?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)