|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
2. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
(a) Repay him in love for what he has lost.
(b) Repay her father's men for what they did.
(c) Whatever he asks.
(d) Find him at his monastery.
3. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(c) Government work.
4. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's demand for information.
(b) Heloise's request for leniency.
(c) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
(d) Heloise's request for patience.
5. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(b) Different religions' monastic practices.
(c) Ancient practices.
(d) His monastery's practices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard admit to in Letter 3?
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
3. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
4. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
5. What does Abelard mean to indicate by the example of the Sibyl's prophecies?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)