|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was letter 9 likely written?
2. Who else does Heloise say was affected by Abelard's letter?
(a) His abbot.
(b) Her father.
(c) The nuns.
3. What request of Heloise's does Abelard fail to fulfill in Letter 7?
(a) Her request for a reason to keep suffering.
(b) Her request for a history of his experience.
(c) Her request for an end to his sufferings.
(d) Her request for a rule.
4. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
(a) Purifying the mind.
(b) Ascending to God.
(c) Concentrating the mind.
(d) Emptying the mind.
5. What sin does Abelard remind Heloise of?
(a) Falling in love before being married.
(b) Getting married in secret.
(c) Enjoying their lovemaking.
(d) Making love at the refectory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
3. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
4. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
5. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)