|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
(a) The weak should be just as burdened as the strong.
(b) The weak cannot bear the same burdens as the strong.
(c) The weak should be able to bear the same burdens as the strong.
(d) The strong should try to strengthen the weak to bear more burdens.
2. Who received Letter 9?
(a) The pope.
(d) The Abbott of Cluny.
3. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
(b) Abelard alone.
(d) God alone.
4. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
5. What does Letter 7 describe to Heloise?
(a) Reasons why women should not receive lighter burdens.
(b) Reasons why women should receive lighter burdens.
(c) Examples of women who bore more than men could bear.
(d) Examples of women favored by the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Heloise say commanded her to be a nun?
2. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
3. In Letter 5, what does Abelard say he is surprised by?
4. What was the status of Abelard's father?
5. What does Heloise say men say about her?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)