|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
(a) The same in everyone.
(b) Differently in different people.
(c) In each according to his weakness.
(d) In each according to his talents.
2. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
(a) She pretends to be happy where she is.
(b) She pretends not to make a demand.
(c) She pretends to be miserable over Abelard's plight.
(d) She pretends to be optimistic about seeing Abelard again.
3. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) How long his penance should last.
(b) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
(c) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(d) How much she has served him.
4. What should nuns primarily think about, according to Abelard?
(a) The nature of God.
(b) The inner life.
(c) God's relationship to man.
(d) The history of God and the church.
5. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(a) Anselm of Laon.
(b) William of Champeaux.
(d) Anselm of Canterbury.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
2. What step did the sender recommend Abelard to take to change his position?
3. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
4. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
5. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)