|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sender of Letter 9 say about Abelard?
(a) That he has just received a letter from him.
(b) That he passed through.
(c) That he has just received a letter about him.
(d) That the monks at his monastery were trying to kill him.
2. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
(a) That he is accused of heresy.
(b) That he is instituting progressive reforms.
(c) That he has proposed an order for nuns.
(d) That he is becoming a popular leader.
3. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
(a) His punishing them after they atoned for their sin
(b) His patience with them in their blindness.
(c) His allowing them to be blind to virtue.
(d) His letting them sin in the first place.
4. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) The men who castrated him.
(b) Heloise and the nuns.
(c) Only Heloise.
(d) Heloise's father.
5. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
(b) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(c) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
(d) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
2. Who was Peter the Venerable?
3. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
4. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
5. What does Heloise say she has sought out for Abelard?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)