|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the sender of Letter 9 ask from his correspondent?
(a) Compensate Abelard for his sufferings.
(b) Stop persecuting Abelard.
(c) Punish Abelard's persecutors.
(d) Let Abelard live in Cluny.
2. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) Mary, mother of Christ.
3. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(b) How much she has served him.
(c) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
(d) How long his penance should last.
4. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Sent her away.
(b) Taken up scriptural studies.
(c) Left philosophy.
(d) Married her.
5. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(b) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(c) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
(d) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say about herself?
2. In Letter 5, what does Abelard say he is surprised by?
3. When was letter 9 likely written?
4. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
5. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)