|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
(a) Managed it together with his brothers.
(b) Gave it to the church.
(c) Gave it to his brother's eldest son.
(d) Gave it to his mother.
2. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(b) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(c) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(d) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
3. How does God view virtue in pagans, according to Abelard in Letter 7?
(a) He honors it.
(b) He sees but does not reward it.
(c) He is hostile to it.
(d) He does not recognize it.
4. In Letter 4, for what does Heloise say she is grateful?
(a) That the tempter did not get her to do wrong.
(b) That she still has her eyes to see the world.
(c) That Abelard is still alive to be her companion.
(d) That she is still there to comfort him.
5. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
(b) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
(c) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
(d) Desire for God's forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who received Letter 9?
2. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
3. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
4. What explanation does Abelard offer for his action?
5. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)