|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sin does Abelard remind Heloise of?
(a) Making love at the refectory.
(b) Enjoying their lovemaking.
(c) Getting married in secret.
(d) Falling in love before being married.
2. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
(a) Exclusions for nuns who do not follow the rules.
(b) Exceptions for the old, young, and weak.
(c) Rewards for nuns who are the most devout.
(d) Special standards for the more devout nuns.
3. What does Abelard say was honored by St. Paul and St. Jerome?
4. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) When she will see him again.
(b) Why she has not heard from him.
(c) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(d) How he is doing.
5. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
(a) Keeping oneself pure.
(b) Knowing your place.
(c) Knowing yourself.
(d) Holding your tongue.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are things distributed in poverty, according to Abelard?
2. What was Abelard and Heloise's son named?
3. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
4. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
5. What should Abelard do in order to emulate the standard she sets for him?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)