|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
(a) It summarizes the action of the remaining letters.
(b) It sets the stage.
(c) It comments on the action that already unfolded in the remaining letters.
(d) It predicts what will come.
2. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) How much she has served him.
(b) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(c) How long his penance should last.
(d) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
3. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) How he is doing.
(b) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(c) Why she has not heard from him.
(d) When she will see him again.
4. Where did Abelard go after the exchange he had with the sender of Letter 9?
(a) Continue his travels.
(b) Return to his monastery.
(c) To see Heloise.
(d) Retreat to Cluny.
5. What does Heloise say about her burden?
(a) She says the burden is a joy to bear.
(b) She says the only way to bear the burden is together with him.
(c) She says that the burden is more than she can bear.
(d) She says burdens can be too heavy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Abelard born?
2. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
3. For what does Abelard ask Heloise at the end of Letter 7?
4. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
5. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)