|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the status of Abelard's father?
2. When did the practice of monasteries and convents begin?
(a) In Roman times.
(b) In the Middle Ages.
(c) In antiquity.
(d) In Christ's time.
3. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
(a) The weak should be just as burdened as the strong.
(b) The strong should try to strengthen the weak to bear more burdens.
(c) The weak cannot bear the same burdens as the strong.
(d) The weak should be able to bear the same burdens as the strong.
4. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(b) His physical pain.
(c) His absence from Heloise.
(d) His despair at his condition.
5. What occasions Heloise's feelings about God?
(a) His patience with them in their blindness.
(b) His punishing them after they atoned for their sin
(c) His letting them sin in the first place.
(d) His allowing them to be blind to virtue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
2. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
3. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
4. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
5. What does Abelard admit to in Letter 3?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)