|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
(a) Because she entered the convent.
(b) Because of her devotion to God.
(c) Because she disavows praise.
(d) Because of her kind letter to him.
2. What reason does the sender give for writing Letter 9?
(a) He is looking for contributions for Abelard.
(b) He is looking for support for Abelard.
(c) He is preparing Abelard's case.
(d) He is writing on Abelard's behalf.
3. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(a) His monastery's practices.
(c) Different religions' monastic practices.
(d) Ancient practices.
4. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It destroyed him.
(b) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(c) It was Fulbert's right.
(d) It was an outrage against his humanity.
5. When was letter 9 likely written?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
2. How had Abelard handled the sender of Letter 9's recommendation?
3. What does Heloise say was her and Abelard's sin?
4. Why did Abelard's teacher come to dislike him?
5. What else does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)