|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
(a) Ancient practices.
(b) Different religions' monastic practices.
(d) His monastery's practices.
2. To what does Abelard respond at first in Letter 7?
(a) Heloise's request for patience.
(b) Heloise's demand for information.
(c) Heloise's initial quotes about nuns' practices.
(d) Heloise's request for leniency.
3. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
(a) Repay her father's men for what they did.
(b) Find him at his monastery.
(c) Repay him in love for what he has lost.
(d) Whatever he asks.
4. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(b) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
(c) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(d) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
5. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
(a) That he is accused of heresy.
(b) That he is instituting progressive reforms.
(c) That he is becoming a popular leader.
(d) That he has proposed an order for nuns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
2. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
3. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
4. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
5. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)