|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
2. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
(a) Great sorrow.
(b) Mixed relief and sadness.
(c) Outrage and despair.
3. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
(a) Tragic and unbearable.
(b) Sad and moving.
(c) Moral and instructive.
(d) Appalling and outrageous.
4. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Try to stop him.
(b) Encourage him.
(c) Loan him start-up money.
(d) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
5. What does Abelard say was the consequence of his lust for Heloise?
(a) He forgot his duties as a teacher.
(b) He lost his reverence for God.
(c) He defiled her soul.
(d) He betrayed her father's trust.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
2. Who else does Heloise say was affected by Abelard's letter?
3. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
4. How are things distributed in poverty, according to Abelard?
5. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)