|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(b) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
(c) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
(d) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
2. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His physical pain.
(b) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(c) His despair at his condition.
(d) His absence from Heloise.
3. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Try to stop him.
(b) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(c) Encourage him.
(d) Loan him start-up money.
4. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
(a) Desire for God's forgiveness.
(b) Desire to share in suffering out of love.
(c) Desire to educate her about man's wicked ways.
(d) Desire to fill her soul with awe and desire for repentance.
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard in Letter 6?
(a) To forgive her.
(b) To tell her how the order of nuns began.
(c) To tell her how nuns should conduct themselves.
(d) To describe the reasons for her to go on being a nun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
2. What does Abelard admit to in Letter 3?
3. What provision does Heloise ask Abelard to include in what he makes for her?
4. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
5. What does Abelard say was honored by St. Paul and St. Jerome?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)