|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(b) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
(c) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
(d) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
2. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
(a) That he wanted to hide.
(b) That he did not care for her.
(c) That he felt he owed her a great debt.
(d) That he was proud of what happened.
3. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
(a) That it take place in secret.
(b) That it take place immediately.
(c) That it not take place for two years.
(d) That it be a large celebration.
4. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
(a) His devotion to God.
(b) His outrage.
(c) His love.
(d) His suffering.
5. How would you describe Abelard's method of arranging Letter 7?
(a) A developmental crescendo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Abelard born?
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 7 about the virtue of women?
3. What news about Abelard does the sender of Letter 9 relate?
4. What aspects of his personality does Abelard attribute to his native region?
5. Where does Heloise find justification for what she asks Abelard in Letter 6?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)