|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
(a) His suffering.
(b) His devotion to God.
(c) His outrage.
(d) His love.
2. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
(a) Get a judgment from the Abbot of Citeaux.
(b) Appeal to the pope.
(c) Gather supporters.
(d) Flee the country.
3. How does Heloise describe Abelard's situation?
(a) She says he should suffer until death.
(b) She says he is forgiven in her eyes and so should no longer suffer.
(c) She says he has paid the price with his castration.
(d) She says he will never be finished expiating his crime.
4. To what does Abelard refer her as proof of what he says?
(a) Ordinary experience.
(b) His letter.
(d) Her childhood.
5. What does Heloise say men say about her?
(a) That she is the most fortunate of women.
(b) That she is chaste.
(c) That she is the most miserable of women.
(d) That she is a hypocrite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
2. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
3. What was the thing based on that Heloise asked Abelard to give her?
4. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
5. How would you describe Abelard's method of arranging Letter 7?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)