|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(b) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
(c) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(d) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
2. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
(a) Original sin.
(b) Malicious men.
(c) His sins.
(d) Cruel fate.
3. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It destroyed him.
(b) It was Fulbert's right.
(c) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(d) It was an outrage against his humanity.
4. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
(a) To avoid the disgrace of a hasty marriage.
(b) To let her recover from illness.
(c) To sequester her away from suitors.
(d) To hide her pregnancy.
5. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
(a) By saying that she saw a letter her father was going to send to his henchmen.
(b) By saying that she saw a letter her father had written to the abbot.
(c) By saying that she saw a letter the abbot was going to send to Abelard.
(d) By saying that she saw a letter he had written to a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
2. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
3. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
4. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
5. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)