|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Abelard do with his inheritance?
(a) Managed it together with his brothers.
(b) Gave it to the church.
(c) Gave it to his mother.
(d) Gave it to his brother's eldest son.
2. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
(a) By saying that she saw a letter her father was going to send to his henchmen.
(b) By saying that she saw a letter her father had written to the abbot.
(c) By saying that she saw a letter the abbot was going to send to Abelard.
(d) By saying that she saw a letter he had written to a friend.
3. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) William of Champeaux invited him back.
(b) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(c) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(d) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
4. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
(a) He sent her anonymous letters.
(b) He took her on as a private student in his home.
(c) He stole her away from her parents.
(d) He lodged with her family.
5. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
(a) Taken up scriptural studies.
(b) Married her.
(c) Left philosophy.
(d) Sent her away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
2. What does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
3. What does Heloise say she admires?
4. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
5. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)