|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
(a) Anselm of Canterbury.
(b) Anselm of Laon.
(c) William of Champeaux.
2. Heloise says that consolation shared is what?
(a) The basis of love.
(b) Consolation eased.
(c) All the consolation there is.
(d) Consolation doubled.
3. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
(a) Whatever he asks.
(b) Repay her father's men for what they did.
(c) Find him at his monastery.
(d) Repay him in love for what he has lost.
4. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) How much she has served him.
(b) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(c) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
(d) How long his penance should last.
5. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
(a) Why she has not heard from him.
(b) How he is doing.
(c) What he has done about rescuing her from the convent.
(d) When she will see him again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say Heloise should focus on entirely?
2. To whom did Abelard write the first letter?
3. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
4. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
5. What is the relationship between the first letter and the others?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)