|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(b) Debating philosophy.
(c) Debating scripture.
(d) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
2. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
(a) He lodged with her family.
(b) He sent her anonymous letters.
(c) He stole her away from her parents.
(d) He took her on as a private student in his home.
3. What does Abelard say has increased in him recently?
4. Where does Heloise say her happiness will come from now?
(b) Abelard alone.
(c) God alone.
5. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) How much she has served him.
(b) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(c) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
(d) How long his penance should last.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise say is Abelard's relation with her now?
2. What does Abelard ask Heloise to do if he is killed?
3. What does Heloise say Abelard should not have done for her sake?
4. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
5. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)