|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Abelard born?
(d) Le Pallet.
2. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(b) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
(c) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
(d) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
3. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His absence from Heloise.
(b) His physical pain.
(c) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(d) His despair at his condition.
4. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(b) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(c) Debating scripture.
(d) Debating philosophy.
5. What enables Abelard to return to Paris?
(a) William of Champeaux's reputation was in decline.
(b) Anselm of Canterbury offered him his chair in the university.
(c) William of Champeaux offered him his chair at the university.
(d) William of Champeaux invited him back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
2. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
3. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
4. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
5. What does Heloise say she admires?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)