|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
(a) Government work.
2. What does Heloise doubt about Abelard?
(a) What drew him to her.
(b) Whether his words were honest.
(c) Whether he wanted her for himself or for another.
(d) Whether he was prepared to take care of her.
3. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
(a) Cruel fate.
(b) His sins.
(c) Original sin.
(d) Malicious men.
4. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Encourage him.
(b) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
(c) Loan him start-up money.
(d) Try to stop him.
5. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Freedom from pain.
(b) To forget him.
(c) Faith to see her through.
(d) Never to forget.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise ask Abelard in her first letter?
2. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
3. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
4. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
5. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)