|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 3, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
(a) Mixed relief and sadness.
(c) Great sorrow.
(d) Outrage and despair.
2. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Faith to see her through.
(b) Freedom from pain.
(c) To forget him.
(d) Never to forget.
3. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was Fulbert's right.
(b) It destroyed him.
(c) It was an outrage against his humanity.
(d) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
4. What did William of Champeaux do at the beginning of Abelard's career?
(a) Encourage him.
(b) Loan him start-up money.
(c) Try to stop him.
(d) Furnish him with letters of recommendation.
5. What does Abelard ask Heloise to consider?
(a) The power of virtuous men.
(b) The inevitability of justice.
(c) The power of prayer.
(d) The inevitability of suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
2. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
3. Where did Abelard study?
4. Where was Abelard born?
5. What was Abelard's father's plan for Abelard?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)