|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 9, Peter the Venerable: Letter (98) to Pope Innocent I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Abelard feel about his castration?
(a) It was a reprisal for the evil he'd done.
(b) It was Fulbert's right.
(c) It destroyed him.
(d) It was an outrage against his humanity.
2. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
(a) It contracted.
(b) It ceased.
(c) It expanded.
(d) It almost went extinct.
3. For what is Heloise arguing in Letter 6?
(a) Contextual application of burdens.
(b) Rules that respect gender differences.
(c) A case-by-case standard for burdens.
(d) An absolute rule for burdens.
4. Why did Abelard originally send Heloise away?
(a) To let her recover from illness.
(b) To sequester her away from suitors.
(c) To hide her pregnancy.
(d) To avoid the disgrace of a hasty marriage.
5. What else does Heloise ask Abelard to think about?
(a) How much she has served him.
(b) Whether his sin was responsible for his suffering.
(c) What will constitute justice, in his situation.
(d) How long his penance should last.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
2. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
3. Who does Abelard cite as an example of someone devout in the church?
4. How does Abelard answer Heloise's second letter in Letter 5?
5. What did the sender of Letter 9 advise Abelard to do?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)