|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 6, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heloise say she admires?
(a) The things Abelard sacrificed to be with her.
(b) The honesty with which Abelard followed philosophy.
(c) The courage Abelard showed by fighting for her.
(d) The debt Abelard took upon himself.
2. How does Heloise describe her and Abelard's story?
(a) Moral and instructive.
(b) Sad and moving.
(c) Tragic and unbearable.
(d) Appalling and outrageous.
3. What does Abelard say was the consequence of his lust for Heloise?
(a) He forgot his duties as a teacher.
(b) He defiled her soul.
(c) He betrayed her father's trust.
(d) He lost his reverence for God.
4. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
(a) Monastic life was designed for ascetics, not for everyone.
(b) She does not want certain nuns to be sent away from the convent.
(c) Monastic life should not be imposed on people who will only fail at it.
(d) Not everyone can emulate the sufferings of Christ the same way.
5. What is it that ultimately pleases God, according to Heloise?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise tell Abelard she will do for him?
2. What does Abelard affirm to Heloise?
3. What are Heloise's feelings at losing Abelard?
4. What does Heloise say makes it impossible to endure Abelard's absence?
5. In Letter 4, what does Heloise beg Abelard to do?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)