|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 6, Heloise to Abelard.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Heloise say that the thing that pleases God is manifested?
(a) The same in everyone.
(b) In each according to his talents.
(c) In each according to his weakness.
(d) Differently in different people.
2. How does Abelard say he writes to Heloise?
(a) As a lover.
(b) As a superior.
(c) As a teacher.
(d) As an inferior.
3. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
(a) Begging for mercy.
(d) Further punishment.
4. What does Heloise say about her burden?
(a) She says the only way to bear the burden is together with him.
(b) She says burdens can be too heavy.
(c) She says that the burden is more than she can bear.
(d) She says the burden is a joy to bear.
5. Where is weakness taken into account, according to Heloise?
(a) Canon law.
(b) The Kabala.
(c) Convent conventions.
(d) The Old Testament.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
2. In what way does Heloise pretend in her first letter to Abelard?
3. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
4. What is the logic behind Heloise's request to Abelard?
5. Why does Heloise argue for special dispensations?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)