|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
(a) Heloise and the nuns.
(b) Heloise's father.
(c) Only Heloise.
(d) The men who castrated him.
2. What does Abelard say is the cause of his feeling?
(a) His nostalgia for their lovemaking.
(b) His absence from Heloise.
(c) His despair at his condition.
(d) His physical pain.
3. What does Abelard say life becomes in poverty?
(a) A firm law.
(b) A community.
(c) A resource.
(d) A common store.
4. What does Abelard say he wants others' prayers to help him avoid?
(a) Being exiled.
(b) Going to hell.
(c) Being harmed further.
(d) Being killed.
5. Which role is not mentioned by Abelard when he describes the roles necessary to run a convent?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A portress.
(c) A wardrobe.
(d) A cellaress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say he wants as an outcome of others' prayers?
2. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
3. What does Abelard say he is correcting with the life of silence?
4. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
5. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)