|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is not a part of the Rule Abelard describes to Heloise in Letter 8?
(a) The life of poverty.
(b) The life of continence.
(c) The life of prayer.
(d) The life of silence.
2. To what does Abelard return in his third letter to Heloise?
(a) Asking for her forgiveness.
(b) Asking for her whereabouts.
(c) Asking her for help.
(d) Asking her to pray for him.
3. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
(a) His sins.
(b) Original sin.
(c) Cruel fate.
(d) Malicious men.
4. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
(a) As her partner in guilt and grace.
(b) As her deliverer.
(c) As her enemy.
(d) As her saint.
5. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
(a) Because his conscience required he tell her.
(b) Because he felt she needed to know.
(c) Because he felt she shared his sin and ought to share his sorrow afterward.
(d) Because she asked him to share his sorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Abelard want to pray for him?
2. What should nuns primarily think about, according to Abelard?
3. To what does Abelard compare a monastery when he says that someone has to be in charge?
4. How does Abelard say errors should be corrected?
5. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)