|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abelard describe wisdom in his Rule?
(a) Keeping oneself pure.
(b) Knowing yourself.
(c) Holding your tongue.
(d) Knowing your place.
2. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
(a) Purifying the mind.
(b) Concentrating the mind.
(c) Ascending to God.
(d) Emptying the mind.
3. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
(a) As her enemy.
(b) As her deliverer.
(c) As her partner in guilt and grace.
(d) As her saint.
4. What explanation does Abelard offer for his action?
(a) He did not want to make her suffer.
(b) He thought their time together was over.
(c) He thought she could not love him now.
(d) He wanted to put the past behind him.
5. What does Abelard say he will do to Heloise in Letter 5?
(a) Encourage her.
(b) Disappoint her.
(c) Pray for her.
(d) Enlighten her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelard say nuns should study?
2. What does Abelard say motivated him to tell Heloise the things that filled her with despair?
3. What does Abelard remind Heloise he did when she was pregnant?
4. What does Abelard say Heloise deserves?
5. Why does Abelard say that Heloise deserves praise?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)