|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelard say was the consequence of his lust for Heloise?
(a) He lost his reverence for God.
(b) He forgot his duties as a teacher.
(c) He betrayed her father's trust.
(d) He defiled her soul.
2. What does Abelard say in Letter 5 that he hopes to avoid?
(a) Begging for mercy.
(b) Further punishment.
3. What else does Abelard ask Heloise to do pray for?
(a) Never to forget.
(b) To forget him.
(c) Faith to see her through.
(d) Freedom from pain.
4. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
(a) Because he felt she needed to know.
(b) Because his conscience required he tell her.
(c) Because he felt she shared his sin and ought to share his sorrow afterward.
(d) Because she asked him to share his sorrow.
5. How many nuns are needed to run a convent, according to Abelard?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abelard say he writes to Heloise?
2. What is continence, as mentioned in Letter 8?
3. In Letter 8, what does Abelard say women tend to stray toward?
4. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to accept?
5. What sin does Abelard remind Heloise of?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)