|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 8, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should the practice of silence result in, according to Abelard?
(a) Purifying the mind.
(b) Emptying the mind.
(c) Ascending to God.
(d) Concentrating the mind.
2. Who does Abelard describe as an example of what he is talking about?
(a) An Ethiopian woman.
(b) A Chinese woman.
(c) A German woman.
(d) An Italian woman.
3. What should people focus on, according to Abelard in Letter 8?
(a) Giving lay people an example.
(b) Submitting to God.
(c) Bringing the Messiah.
(d) Purifying the race of its spiritual flaws.
4. How does Abelard say he writes to Heloise?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a superior.
(c) As a lover.
(d) As an inferior.
5. Why does Abelard say he filled Heloise with despair in his letter?
(a) Because his conscience required he tell her.
(b) Because he felt she shared his sin and ought to share his sorrow afterward.
(c) Because he felt she needed to know.
(d) Because she asked him to share his sorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sin does Abelard remind Heloise of?
2. For what does Abelard ask Heloise to pray?
3. Where does Abelard ask Heloise to take his body if he dies?
4. What qualities must distinguish an Abbess, in Abelard's opinion?
5. What does Abelard make sure to say was NOT the case for his action?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)