|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Diane immediately after she is captured?
2. What does Aubrey do shortly after he renders his judgment on what was done to Surprise?
3. What kind of man does Maturin believe Jagiello to be?
4. Why was the item from question #89 sent to Aubrey?
5. Why does Maturin want news about Diana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Surprise do after her encounter with Spartan and what do Martin and Maturin do?
2. Following Surprises first shakedown cruise when Maturin visits Sir Joseph, what does he find out about Wray and Ledward?
3. What is Aubrey's plan for taking Diane?
4. Where does Aubrey take Surprise when they set sail again following the first shakedown cruise?
5. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
6. How does Maturin fix Aubrey and what does Aubrey say about the laudanum?
7. What does Maturin ask about Diana and what does Sir Joseph tell him?
8. How does Babbington respond to Aubrey's request?
9. What happens when the ship is finally freed?
10. Describe the taking of the Diane and what happens to her immediately afterward.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE LETTER OF MARQUE is set in England during 1813, or a fictional extension of that year during the Napoleonic wars between England and France: therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place in the naval war between Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, or Germany.
Essay Topic 2
During this era when THE LETTER OF MARQUE takes place, if a vessel under the command of a naval officer captures another vessel from a country with whom they are warring or captures a pirate vessel, etc...the crew of the victorious vessel shares in the goods, money and value of the vessel. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the British had such a policy in place then?
2. What are the possible abuses that can arise from such a policy?
3. Why do you think this policy is eventually abandoned?
Essay Topic 3
Surprise captures two American privateers and their five prizes. One of the privateers contained the entire considerable treasure of the Spanish ship Azul. Though Spain and England are allies against France and America, at this point in history, the fact that the American ship had transferred the cargo and the Spanish officers had deserted their sinking ship makes the quicksilver Aubrey's legal prize.
Not only is Great Britian engaged in a war against France and Napoleon's allies, it is at the time of THE LETTER OF MARQUE engaged in a war with the United States, later named the War of 1812. Discuss the following:
1. What is the War of 1812 and why does it occur? Do you think the British or Americans are most to blame for the problems that engender the war? to which side does O'Brian show the most sympathy?
2. How does it feel if you are from the United States to read about a war from the perspective of the "enemy"? How does that affect your reactions to the events in the book?
3. What do you think are the unique problems for Great Britain in being engaged in wars on two different fronts? Do you think Great Britain was unwise in not settling the issues with the United States rather than going to war? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)