|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the item from question #89 sent to Aubrey?
2. What will Surprise's boats do according to Aubrey's plan?
3. What does Maturin insist is possible with tragic literature?
4. Why might Aubrey's decision be viewed as wrong by many people?
5. What does Surprise do first to prepare for taking Diane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Jack Aubrey is no exception. Aubrey's insight and a nearly infallible instinct tends to carry him through the various perils he encounters.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Aubrey demonstrates his instinct for handling problems at sea. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Aubrey's character flaws, especially his ineptness on land, with business ventures and a wandering eye as far as women are concerned.
3. Discuss how you think Aubrey's admirable traits helped him obtain a high rank in the Navy? How does Aubrey hide his character flaws so they have not impeded his career? Do any of those under his command seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 2
Maturin is an opium addict, taking truly heroic doses of laudanum on a daily basis. His friend Martin suspects this impropriety, and they discuss the relative merits of laudanum. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the use of opium is not regulated as it is today?
2. Do you think it is a more or less enlightened society that regulates personal drug use? Explain.
3. Do you think the execution of Maturin's duties are compromised by his frequent use of opium? Why or why not? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
This section contains 2,533 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)