|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Padeen continue to do?
2. How does Babbbington feel about Aubrey's plan?
3. Why was the item from question #89 sent to Aubrey?
4. Where does Surprise go after finishing with Spartan?
5. What does Aubrey do with the five captured ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maturin fix Aubrey and what does Aubrey say about the laudanum?
2. What is the final outcome about the incident in question #31?
3. What does Maturin tell Sir Joseph about Aubrey's circumstances and what Aubrey hopes?
4. What happens while the crew struggle to free Diane? How is Aubrey injured?
5. What does Sir Joseph tell Maturin about a possible target for Aubrey?
6. What does Surprise do after her encounter with Spartan and what do Martin and Maturin do?
7. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
8. What arrives at Aubrey's home when he returns from Surprises first shakedown cruise and what do he and Maturin discuss when Maturin comes over after seeing Sir Joseph?
9. How many ships does Aubrey capture and what happens to him as soon as they are captured?
10. Why is Aubrey driven to succeed in taking Diane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Babbington.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Maturin, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
THE LETTER OF MARQUE is set in England during 1813, or a fictional extension of that year during the Napoleonic wars between England and France: therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place in the naval war between Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, or Germany.
Essay Topic 3
The British Navy in this era is very flexible in letting their Captains and other officers use their own style of command. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Why? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems least effective? Why? Give examples.
3. Sometimes the crew will mutineer against a tyrannical Captain: Is mutiny ever justifiable? Explain.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)