|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aubrey anchor Surprise in a deserted bay?
2. How does Aubrey intend to get Diane?
3. Who does Maturin visit after going to the apothecary?
4. What does Joseph organize when Aubrey returns?
5. What is Maturin's relationship to the man in question #83?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Babbington.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Maturin, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
THE LETTER OF MARQUE is set in England during 1813, or a fictional extension of that year during the Napoleonic wars between England and France: therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place in the naval war between Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, or Germany.
Essay Topic 3
The Letter of Marque is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following?
1. What is one advantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 2,531 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)