Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aubrey's response to being told a pardon would be seriously considered?
2. What does Surprise do after she finishes with the task in question #121?
3. What is Maturin's relationship to the man in question #83?
4. What happens to Diane after the event in question #124?
5. What does Aubrey feel during the battle over Diane?
Essay Topic 1
The Letter of Marque, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of THE LETTER OF MARQUE and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why THE LETTER OF MARQUE is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. State what you think are three characteristics of a successful novel and whether or not THE LETTER OF MARQUE in your opinion is a successful novel.
Essay Topic 2
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Aubrey and Maturin. How are they similar? How are they different? Would you consider one of them a stronger character than the other? How does each of them add to the story?
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Maturin and Sir Joseph. How are they similar? How are they different? Would you consider one of them a stronger character than the other? How does each of them add to the story?
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Surprise captures two American privateers and their five prizes. One of the privateers contained the entire considerable treasure of the Spanish ship Azul. Though Spain and England are allies against France and America, at this point in history, the fact that the American ship had transferred the cargo and the Spanish officers had deserted their sinking ship makes the quicksilver Aubrey's legal prize.
Not only is Great Britian engaged in a war against France and Napoleon's allies, it is at the time of THE LETTER OF MARQUE engaged in a war with the United States, later named the War of 1812. Discuss the following:
1. What is the War of 1812 and why does it occur? Do you think the British or Americans are most to blame for the problems that engender the war? to which side does O'Brian show the most sympathy?
2. How does it feel if you are from the United States to read about a war from the perspective of the "enemy"? How does that affect your reactions to the events in the book?
3. What do you think are the unique problems for Great Britain in being engaged in wars on two different fronts? Do you think Great Britain was unwise in not settling the issues with the United States rather than going to war? Why or why not.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)