Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aubrey's response to being told a pardon would be seriously considered?
2. What does Surprise do after she finishes with the task in question #121?
3. What is Maturin's relationship to the man in question #83?
4. What happens to Diane after the event in question #124?
5. What does Aubrey feel during the battle over Diane?
Essay Topic 1
Patrick O'Brian tries as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think THE LETTER OF MARQUE qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in THE LETTER OF MARQUE are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The British Navy in this era is very flexible in letting their Captains and other officers use their own style of command. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Why? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems least effective? Why? Give examples.
3. Sometimes the crew will mutineer against a tyrannical Captain: Is mutiny ever justifiable? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Babbington.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Maturin, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)