|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey do shortly after he renders his judgment on what was done to Surprise?
2. What does Aubrey do with the five captured ships?
3. Where does Aubrey get information about Sethianism?
4. What do the Sethians do at the mention of the name Seth?
5. What arrives at Aubrey's home in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the crew respond to Aubrey's orders concerning the incident in question #31?
2. What does a government official say to Aubrey and what is Aubrey's response?
3. Following Surprises first shakedown cruise when Maturin visits Sir Joseph, what does he find out about Wray and Ledward?
4. What is the final outcome about the incident in question #31?
5. What does Aubrey find has transpired on the Surprise while he was ashore?
6. What type of injury does Aubrey have?
7. What does Surprise do after her encounter with Spartan and what do Martin and Maturin do?
8. How is Aubrey greeted in England upon his return and what does Sir Joseph do for him?
9. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
10. How many ships does Aubrey capture and what happens to him as soon as they are captured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Along with superstitions, the ships crew seem to find mystical meanings in various symbols. Discuss the following:
1. What are six symbols in THE LETTER OF MARQUE and their meanings. Are the meanings logical or based upon superstitions?
2. Discuss three metaphors in THE LETTER OF MARQUE and their impact on the understanding of the plot.
3. Discuss O'Brian's narrative style as it applies to his descriptions. Is his style effective? Interesting? Lively?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
Essay Topic 3
The Letter of Marque is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following?
1. What is one advantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)