Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aubrey's response to being told a pardon would be seriously considered?
2. What does Surprise do after she finishes with the task in question #121?
3. What is Maturin's relationship to the man in question #83?
4. What happens to Diane after the event in question #124?
5. What does Aubrey feel during the battle over Diane?
Essay Topic 1
During this era when THE LETTER OF MARQUE takes place, if a vessel under the command of a naval officer captures another vessel from a country with whom they are warring or captures a pirate vessel, etc...the crew of the victorious vessel shares in the goods, money and value of the vessel. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the British had such a policy in place then?
2. What are the possible abuses that can arise from such a policy?
3. Why do you think this policy is eventually abandoned?
Essay Topic 2
The Letter of Marque is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following?
1. What is one advantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Surprise captures two American privateers and their five prizes. One of the privateers contained the entire considerable treasure of the Spanish ship Azul. Though Spain and England are allies against France and America, at this point in history, the fact that the American ship had transferred the cargo and the Spanish officers had deserted their sinking ship makes the quicksilver Aubrey's legal prize.
Not only is Great Britian engaged in a war against France and Napoleon's allies, it is at the time of THE LETTER OF MARQUE engaged in a war with the United States, later named the War of 1812. Discuss the following:
1. What is the War of 1812 and why does it occur? Do you think the British or Americans are most to blame for the problems that engender the war? to which side does O'Brian show the most sympathy?
2. How does it feel if you are from the United States to read about a war from the perspective of the "enemy"? How does that affect your reactions to the events in the book?
3. What do you think are the unique problems for Great Britain in being engaged in wars on two different fronts? Do you think Great Britain was unwise in not settling the issues with the United States rather than going to war? Why or why not.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)