|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter Aubrey has from the Admiralty to Babbbington say?
2. What does Padeen continue to do?
3. After the task in question #122, what does Surprise do?
4. What does Aubrey do about the incident in question #94?
5. Why does Aubrey pass out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrives at Aubrey's home when he returns from Surprises first shakedown cruise and what do he and Maturin discuss when Maturin comes over after seeing Sir Joseph?
2. What is the final outcome about the incident in question #31?
3. What does a government official say to Aubrey and what is Aubrey's response?
4. How does Maturin fix Aubrey and what does Aubrey say about the laudanum?
5. How does Babbington respond to Aubrey's request?
6. Why does Aubrey encounter Babbington outside St. Martin's bay and what does Aubrey want from him?
7. Where does Aubrey take Surprise when they set sail again following the first shakedown cruise?
8. What does Maturin tell Sir Joseph about Aubrey's circumstances and what Aubrey hopes?
9. Describe the taking of the Diane and what happens to her immediately afterward.
10. What type of injury does Aubrey have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part of the Sethians' religious worship involves clearly marking their homes with the name Seth, and thus the Sethians have marked Surprise--their beloved home--with the name Seth. Upon being ordered to remove the painted name, they had refused, as had the remainder of the superstitious crew.
Sailors are notoriously superstitious. Even Aubrey, though very bright in many ways, is somewhat superstitious, a trait common to many sailors. Discuss the following:
1. What is superstition? Can you name a few common superstitions? Do any of them seem to have any validity in logic?
2. Why do you think sailors have the reputation for being superstitious? Do you think it is true? What superstitions are mentioned in The Letter of Marque?
3. What are some of the superstitions you are familiar with that sailors seem to believe? Do you believe any of them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Along with superstitions, the ships crew seem to find mystical meanings in various symbols. Discuss the following:
1. What are six symbols in THE LETTER OF MARQUE and their meanings. Are the meanings logical or based upon superstitions?
2. Discuss three metaphors in THE LETTER OF MARQUE and their impact on the understanding of the plot.
3. Discuss O'Brian's narrative style as it applies to his descriptions. Is his style effective? Interesting? Lively?
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Aubrey and Maturin. How are they similar? How are they different? Would you consider one of them a stronger character than the other? How does each of them add to the story?
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Maturin and Sir Joseph. How are they similar? How are they different? Would you consider one of them a stronger character than the other? How does each of them add to the story?
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)