|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maturin find when he examined Aubrey?
2. What does Aubrey do with the five captured ships?
3. Why might Aubrey's decision be viewed as wrong by many people?
4. Who came to speak to Aubrey after Joseph's event?
5. What is Aubrey's response to being told a pardon would be seriously considered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final outcome about the incident in question #31?
2. Maturin and Martin discuss literature and what? What does Maturin insist about tragedy?
3. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
4. Describe the taking of the Diane and what happens to her immediately afterward.
5. Following Surprises first shakedown cruise when Maturin visits Sir Joseph, what does he find out about Wray and Ledward?
6. How did the crew respond to Aubrey's orders concerning the incident in question #31?
7. What is Aubrey's plan for taking Diane?
8. Why does Aubrey encounter Babbington outside St. Martin's bay and what does Aubrey want from him?
9. Why is Aubrey driven to succeed in taking Diane?
10. How does Babbington respond to Aubrey's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Brian's female characters are almost always peripheral to the story line of any of his novels. Discuss one of the following in view of O'Brian's female characters in THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
1. What type of reader demographics do you think THE LETTER OF MARQUE might appeal to given the limited scope of O'Brian's female characters. Use examples from THE LETTER OF MARQUE or other O'Brian books you have read to support your answer.
2. Do you think O'Brian's books would be better with more in depth female characters? Why or why not? Use examples from THE LETTER OF MARQUE or other O'Brian books you have read to support your answer.
3. Do you think the O'Brian's paucity of female characters reflects history in our reality? Discuss why it might be possible that females played more significant roles in history but were ignored by the primarily male historians through the ages.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Babbington.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Maturin, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Often in O'Brian's series involving Jack Aubrey, his ship and/or life is saved by extraordinary means. Discuss the following:
1. Identify and analyze a time in The Letter of Marque when O'Brian makes free use of the technique of narrative contrivance to save Aubrey and his ship.
2. Does the use of narrative contrivance diminish the impact of the plot? The believability of the storyline?
3. Is there any other way O'Brian could have a mixture of suspense and action while at the same time making certain the main characters are not killed?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)