|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men do in the bay?
2. What does the letter Aubrey has from the Admiralty to Babbbington say?
3. What does Maturin want to do with the answer to question #86?
4. What will Aubrey require from Babbington?
5. What will Surprise's boats do according to Aubrey's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many ships does Aubrey capture and what happens to him as soon as they are captured?
2. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
3. What type of injury does Aubrey have?
4. How does Babbington respond to Aubrey's request?
5. Following Surprises first shakedown cruise when Maturin visits Sir Joseph, what does he find out about Wray and Ledward?
6. What does Aubrey find has transpired on the Surprise while he was ashore?
7. Describe the taking of the Diane and what happens to her immediately afterward.
8. What does a government official say to Aubrey and what is Aubrey's response?
9. What is Aubrey's plan for taking Diane?
10. Where does Aubrey take Surprise when they set sail again following the first shakedown cruise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Jack Aubrey is no exception. Aubrey's insight and a nearly infallible instinct tends to carry him through the various perils he encounters.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Aubrey demonstrates his instinct for handling problems at sea. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Aubrey's character flaws, especially his ineptness on land, with business ventures and a wandering eye as far as women are concerned.
3. Discuss how you think Aubrey's admirable traits helped him obtain a high rank in the Navy? How does Aubrey hide his character flaws so they have not impeded his career? Do any of those under his command seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 2
Maturin is an opium addict, taking truly heroic doses of laudanum on a daily basis. His friend Martin suspects this impropriety, and they discuss the relative merits of laudanum. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the use of opium is not regulated as it is today?
2. Do you think it is a more or less enlightened society that regulates personal drug use? Explain.
3. Do you think the execution of Maturin's duties are compromised by his frequent use of opium? Why or why not? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Babbington.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Maturin, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)