|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey say every man must do for his next objective?
2. What does Aubrey do with the five captured ships?
3. What do the Sethians do at the mention of the name Seth?
4. What did Aubrey say about the laudanum Maturin gave him?
5. What other two ships does Aubrey grab that night besides Diane and the gunboats?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Babbington respond to Aubrey's request?
2. What does Surprise do after her encounter with Spartan and what do Martin and Maturin do?
3. Describe the taking of the Diane and what happens to her immediately afterward.
4. What is the final outcome about the incident in question #31?
5. Why does Aubrey encounter Babbington outside St. Martin's bay and what does Aubrey want from him?
6. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
7. Following Surprises first shakedown cruise when Maturin visits Sir Joseph, what does he find out about Wray and Ledward?
8. Why is Aubrey driven to succeed in taking Diane?
9. How did the crew respond to Aubrey's orders concerning the incident in question #31?
10. What does Maturin tell Sir Joseph about Aubrey's circumstances and what Aubrey hopes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Babbington.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Maturin, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
THE LETTER OF MARQUE is set in England during 1813, or a fictional extension of that year during the Napoleonic wars between England and France: therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place in the naval war between Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, or Germany.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)