Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aubrey's response to being told a pardon would be seriously considered?
2. What does Surprise do after she finishes with the task in question #121?
3. What is Maturin's relationship to the man in question #83?
4. What happens to Diane after the event in question #124?
5. What does Aubrey feel during the battle over Diane?
Essay Topic 1
Aubrey learns from Maturin that what he had perceived as a kick in the small of the back is actually a pistol ball--or bullet--lodged near his spine. In an excruciatingly painful but successful operation Maturin removes the ball. Much attention is given to the treatment of both wounds and illnesses by Maturin. Maturin seems far more advanced than the typical doctor of that era. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the medical remedies Maturin uses in THE LETTER OF MARQUE to that which would be done in our modern world.
2. Many wars are partially, if not completely, determined by factors other than the actual fighting. One of those factors is disease. Research and discuss how epidemics/pandemics have influenced the outcome of three different wars throughout history.
3. Discuss some of the medical remedies Maturin performs/uses that were probably not used in that era.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Jack Aubrey is no exception. Aubrey's insight and a nearly infallible instinct tends to carry him through the various perils he encounters.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Aubrey demonstrates his instinct for handling problems at sea. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Aubrey's character flaws, especially his ineptness on land, with business ventures and a wandering eye as far as women are concerned.
3. Discuss how you think Aubrey's admirable traits helped him obtain a high rank in the Navy? How does Aubrey hide his character flaws so they have not impeded his career? Do any of those under his command seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
The British Navy in this era is very flexible in letting their Captains and other officers use their own style of command. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Why? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems least effective? Why? Give examples.
3. Sometimes the crew will mutineer against a tyrannical Captain: Is mutiny ever justifiable? Explain.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)