|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maturin's relationship to the man in question #83?
2. Where does Surprise go after finishing with Spartan?
3. What do the men do in the bay?
4. What has the men on Surprise who are interested in Sethianism done?
5. What does the letter Aubrey has from the Admiralty to Babbbington say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the ship is finally freed?
2. What does Sir Joseph tell Maturin about a possible target for Aubrey?
3. What does Maturin ask about Diana and what does Sir Joseph tell him?
4. How did the crew respond to Aubrey's orders concerning the incident in question #31?
5. How does Babbington respond to Aubrey's request?
6. How is Aubrey greeted in England upon his return and what does Sir Joseph do for him?
7. Why is Aubrey driven to succeed in taking Diane?
8. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
9. What does a government official say to Aubrey and what is Aubrey's response?
10. Describe the taking of the Diane and what happens to her immediately afterward.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Letter of Marque is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following?
1. What is one advantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
O'Brian's female characters are almost always peripheral to the story line of any of his novels. Discuss one of the following in view of O'Brian's female characters in THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
1. What type of reader demographics do you think THE LETTER OF MARQUE might appeal to given the limited scope of O'Brian's female characters. Use examples from THE LETTER OF MARQUE or other O'Brian books you have read to support your answer.
2. Do you think O'Brian's books would be better with more in depth female characters? Why or why not? Use examples from THE LETTER OF MARQUE or other O'Brian books you have read to support your answer.
3. Do you think the O'Brian's paucity of female characters reflects history in our reality? Discuss why it might be possible that females played more significant roles in history but were ignored by the primarily male historians through the ages.
Essay Topic 3
THE LETTER OF MARQUE is set in England during 1813, or a fictional extension of that year during the Napoleonic wars between England and France: therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place in the naval war between Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, or Germany.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)