|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men do in the bay?
2. What kind of man does Maturin believe Jagiello to be?
3. Who attended the event Joseph organized?
4. How is the man in question #83 described?
5. Who does Maturin visit after going to the apothecary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following Surprises first shakedown cruise when Maturin visits Sir Joseph, what does he find out about Wray and Ledward?
2. How does Babbington respond to Aubrey's request?
3. What is Aubrey's plan for taking Diane?
4. What does Maturin tell Sir Joseph about Aubrey's circumstances and what Aubrey hopes?
5. How did the crew respond to Aubrey's orders concerning the incident in question #31?
6. What does Surprise do after her encounter with Spartan and what do Martin and Maturin do?
7. Where does Aubrey take Surprise when they set sail again following the first shakedown cruise?
8. What arrives at Aubrey's home when he returns from Surprises first shakedown cruise and what do he and Maturin discuss when Maturin comes over after seeing Sir Joseph?
9. Why does Aubrey encounter Babbington outside St. Martin's bay and what does Aubrey want from him?
10. What type of injury does Aubrey have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to understanding the war in which O'Brian's novels are set, it is quite helpful to have a basic understanding of nautical terminology and the types of ships and their armaments that were used during the early 1800s. Discuss the following:
1. Define ten of the most commonly-used shipboard terms and discuss how those terms are used in THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
2. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the ships used in the early 1800s?
3. How is the British navy organized during this period (early 1800s) and how different do you think it is organized today (including how one rises in rank).
4. Compare/contrast one of the naval battles described in the novel with one from WWII.
Essay Topic 2
The Letter of Marque, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of THE LETTER OF MARQUE and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why THE LETTER OF MARQUE is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. State what you think are three characteristics of a successful novel and whether or not THE LETTER OF MARQUE in your opinion is a successful novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Babbington.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Maturin, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)