|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maturin's relationship to the man in question #83?
2. Why does Aubrey anchor Surprise in a deserted bay?
3. What do the men do in the bay?
4. What is done on Babbington's ship before Aubrey returns to Surprise?
5. Why does Aubrey pass out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
2. What type of injury does Aubrey have?
3. Where does Aubrey take Surprise when they set sail again following the first shakedown cruise?
4. Following Surprises first shakedown cruise when Maturin visits Sir Joseph, what does he find out about Wray and Ledward?
5. What is Aubrey's plan for taking Diane?
6. How did the crew respond to Aubrey's orders concerning the incident in question #31?
7. What does Surprise do after her encounter with Spartan and what do Martin and Maturin do?
8. What does Maturin tell Sir Joseph about Aubrey's circumstances and what Aubrey hopes?
9. What does Maturin ask about Diana and what does Sir Joseph tell him?
10. What does a government official say to Aubrey and what is Aubrey's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Babbington.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Maturin, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
The British Navy in this era is very flexible in letting their Captains and other officers use their own style of command. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Why? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems least effective? Why? Give examples.
3. Sometimes the crew will mutineer against a tyrannical Captain: Is mutiny ever justifiable? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
THE LETTER OF MARQUE is set in England during 1813, or a fictional extension of that year during the Napoleonic wars between England and France: therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place in the naval war between Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, or Germany.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)