|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maturin find when he examined Aubrey?
2. What do Maturin and Martin do at an apothecary?
3. With whom did Diana leave England?
4. What does Aubrey do with the five captured ships?
5. How did the event Joseph organized turn out?
Essay Topic 1
The Letter of Marque is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following?
1. What is one advantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE LETTER OF MARQUE.
Essay Topic 3
Maturin is an opium addict, taking truly heroic doses of laudanum on a daily basis. His friend Martin suspects this impropriety, and they discuss the relative merits of laudanum. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the use of opium is not regulated as it is today?
2. Do you think it is a more or less enlightened society that regulates personal drug use? Explain.
3. Do you think the execution of Maturin's duties are compromised by his frequent use of opium? Why or why not? Give examples from the text.
This section contains 2,527 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)