|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aubrey say every man must do for his next objective?
(a) Execute his duty flawlessly.
(b) Know the general plan.
(c) Be willing to die.
(d) Be in great physical shape.
2. What is Sethianism?
(a) A type of philosophy.
(b) A type of religious faith.
(c) A new political party in England.
(d) The science of navigating the stars.
3. Who attended the event Joseph organized?
(a) Influential persons and Aubrey.
(b) The city council.
(c) The majority of the Admiralty.
(d) Aubrey's family and friends.
4. What does Surprise do first to prepare for taking Diane?
(a) Pulls anchor.
(b) Blacks out her lights.
(c) Lowers her sails.
(d) The sailors muffle their boots.
5. How are the gunboats moored in the harbor?
(a) With chains.
(b) Held between piers.
(c) With anchors.
(d) With ropes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maturin's relationship to the man in question #83?
2. What kind of man does Maturin believe Jagiello to be?
3. How does the public feel about Aubrey?
4. What arrives at Aubrey's home in Chapter 4?
5. What is done on Babbington's ship before Aubrey returns to Surprise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aubrey driven to succeed in taking Diane?
2. How did the crew respond to Aubrey's orders concerning the incident in question #31?
3. What does Surprise do after her encounter with Spartan and what do Martin and Maturin do?
4. What does Aubrey find has transpired on the Surprise while he was ashore?
5. What arrives at Aubrey's home when he returns from Surprises first shakedown cruise and what do he and Maturin discuss when Maturin comes over after seeing Sir Joseph?
6. Where does Aubrey take Surprise when they set sail again following the first shakedown cruise?
7. What does Maturin ask about Diana and what does Sir Joseph tell him?
8. Why does Aubrey encounter Babbington outside St. Martin's bay and what does Aubrey want from him?
9. What does Aubrey do about the crew's response in question #32?
10. How does Maturin fix Aubrey and what does Aubrey say about the laudanum?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)