|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what is the Surprise waiting to sail?
(b) Full moon.
(c) The ship's cook.
(d) The outgoing tide.
2. What type of cargo is the Azul carrying?
(a) Chests of gold.
(b) A treasure of quicksilver.
(c) Coffee from South America.
(d) A hold full of swords.
3. In what year does THE LETTER OF MARQUE take place?
4. In what position will Barrett Bonden work on Surprise?
(a) Second mate.
(b) First mate.
(d) Cabin boy.
5. Why is Aubrey reticent at the gathering?
(a) He has a sore throat.
(b) He is afraid of unintended insult.
(c) He has too much to drink.
(d) He is depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the men timed when laying about?
2. What does Maturin do for Padeen's pain?
3. What happens when Maturin gets to the ship?
4. What is the name of the passenger the Tartarus carries who is a friend of Aubrey's and Maturin's?
5. Who did Aubrey tell Tom Pullings to bar from coming aboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which old friends or crew members join Aubrey on Surprise?
2. What ship first approaches Surprise on Aubrey's first shakedown cruise and why? How does Aubrey feel about the authorization Maturin has?
3. What is Aubrey concerned about in reference to his crew?
4. What is Aubrey's situation at the beginning of THE LETTER OF MARQUE?
5. What is Aubrey going to do for money with Maturin? What is Maturin and Aubrey's relationship?
6. Where has Spartan stashed its prizes and why?
7. What is the final outcome of Aubrey's shakedown cruise?
8. What alleviates Aubrey's concerns in question #17?
9. How does Padeen get injured and why does he continue to take pain medication?
10. What is one of the primary talks at the formal dinner aboard ship the night before sailing?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)