|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin believe the two men from question #42 have in the British government?
(a) They have the protection of the black ops.
(c) Paid informants.
(d) High level protection.
2. What do the new men on board the Surprise have to have in order to stay as crew?
(a) A recommendation from someone Aubrey knows.
(b) Maturin's approval.
(c) High score on the test.
(d) Their own tools.
3. Why is the ship Surprise available for purchase?
(a) The captain has died.
(b) It is too old to sail.
(c) It has been wrecked.
(d) It has been sold out of the navy.
4. What musical instrument does Aubrey play?
5. What is a major thing that was talked about at the dinner?
(a) Why Spain threw in with France.
(b) The French and the war.
(c) What a great ship Surprise was.
(d) Hot-air balloons.
6. Who is at a gathering on the ship that night?
(a) The ship's crew.
(b) The officers, admirals and other notables.
(c) Several intelligence officers.
(d) The ship's officers.
7. What are the two types of crew present on Surprise?
(a) Commercial mercenaries and ex-naval personnel.
(b) Old Surprise hands and those from Shelmerston.
(c) New recruits and seasoned sailors.
(d) British ex-naval personnel and merchant marines.
8. Why does the ship from question #38 close with Surprise?
(a) To press hands from her.
(b) To capture them for the French navy.
(c) To keep them from the Spanish peninsula.
(d) To offer trade goods.
9. How many prizes did Spartan capture?
10. What type of cargo is the Azul carrying?
(a) A hold full of swords.
(b) A treasure of quicksilver.
(c) Chests of gold.
(d) Coffee from South America.
11. What kind of relationship do Maturin and Aubrey have?
(a) Close friends.
(b) Professional bonding.
12. How might Aubrey's situation be corrected?
(a) There is no problem with his situation.
(b) By the two men in question #42 return to England.
(c) By leaving retirement.
(d) When new evidence comes up.
13. What does Maturin spend too much time doing as he walks to town?
(a) Collecting plants.
(b) Eating lunch.
(c) Talking to people walking with him.
(d) Bird watching.
14. What has Maturin obtained that will enable him to use the Surprise?
(a) A large crew.
(b) Orders from the Queen for a covert mission.
(c) A Letter of Marque.
(d) A commission in the Royal Navy.
15. Why does Aubrey think work is done better by privately-funded operations than the government?
(a) He has no opinion on private versus government work.
(b) It is done more efficiently.
(c) It is better quality.
(d) It takes longer but is done right.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Aubrey and the crew feel about what Maturin gave him?
2. Why do Aubrey's plans to capture Spartan go awry?
3. Who are the men responsible for Aubrey's circumstances in England?
4. What type of ship is Merlin?
5. What does Maturin give Aubrey as the ship in question #38 closes?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)