|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin ask Nathaniel to do?
(a) Send a letter to Maturin's wife.
(b) Act as surgeon's mate on Surprise.
(c) Keep his plants for him.
(d) Come and look at a strange bird.
2. What does Maturin do for Padeen's pain?
(a) Gives him a shot of morphine.
(b) Gives him aspirin.
(c) Gets him drunk on Irish whiskey.
(d) Administers laudanum.
3. What happens to the Azul?
(a) Spartan takes her to France.
(b) Her crew abandons her and runs her on the shoal.
(c) Aubrey captures her.
(d) She gets away.
4. At what does Aubrey relentlessly practice the crew?
(a) Obeying orders instantly.
(b) Boarding and rowing the small boats.
(c) Rigging the sails.
(d) Firing the guns.
5. What is done to Surprise in Shelmerston?
(a) Filled with cargo.
6. Why are the two men from question # 42 not in England?
(a) The Queen sent them on a mission.
(b) They never lived in England.
(c) The arrest was bungled.
(d) They are doing intelligence work where they are.
7. Why is Aubrey reticent at the gathering?
(a) He is afraid of unintended insult.
(b) He has too much to drink.
(c) He has a sore throat.
(d) He is depressed.
8. What ship closes with Surprise after a few days out in Chapter 2?
(a) An American merchant ship.
(b) A Royal Navy frigate.
(c) A French battleship.
(d) A Spanish warship.
9. What does Maturin believe the two men from question #42 have in the British government?
(b) Paid informants.
(c) They have the protection of the black ops.
(d) High level protection.
10. What made Aubrey feel encouraged at the gathering?
(a) He was given a letter from Lord Nelson.
(b) He was toasted.
(c) They served his favorite food.
(d) Maturin was sober.
11. What happens to Padeen's hand?
(a) It is cut off when caught between two ropes.
(b) It is bit by a rat.
(c) It is injured and burned.
(d) It is broken.
12. For what does Aubrey have a reputation which makes men want to work for him?
(a) Paying high wages.
(b) Being lucky.
(c) Always being right.
(d) Always being fair.
13. How does Aubrey feel about the crew's ability to work together?
14. In what position will Barrett Bonden work on Surprise?
(b) Cabin boy.
(c) Second mate.
(d) First mate.
15. Why did Surprise catch Merlin easily?
(a) She is loaded too heavy.
(b) She is damaged.
(c) She had her sails down.
(d) She was taking on water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Maturin gets to the ship?
2. What does Aubrey do after the encounter with Spartan and Merlin?
3. What moves into the area where Surprise is in Chapter 2?
4. What type of ship is Merlin?
5. For what type of work is Maturin known as an amateur?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)