|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Padeen's hand?
(a) It is injured and burned.
(b) It is broken.
(c) It is bit by a rat.
(d) It is cut off when caught between two ropes.
2. What happens when Maturin gets to the ship?
(a) They have a dinner.
(b) Aubrey scolds him.
(c) They set sail.
(d) He gets high on opium.
3. How might Aubrey's situation be corrected?
(a) When new evidence comes up.
(b) There is no problem with his situation.
(c) By leaving retirement.
(d) By the two men in question #42 return to England.
4. Why is the ship Surprise available for purchase?
(a) It is too old to sail.
(b) It has been wrecked.
(c) It has been sold out of the navy.
(d) The captain has died.
5. What position did the two men in question #42 have in England?
(a) Minor Lords.
(c) Government officials.
(d) Intelligence officers.
6. How does Aubrey feel about the crew's ability to work together?
7. In what position will Tom Pullings work on Surprise?
(a) Captain's stewart.
(d) First mate.
8. What is it about the crew Aubrey has that is unusual?
(a) None of them are criminals.
(b) It is all one nationality.
(c) It has a Frenchman on it.
(d) It is a picked crew.
9. What ship closes with Surprise after a few days out in Chapter 2?
(a) A Royal Navy frigate.
(b) A French battleship.
(c) An American merchant ship.
(d) A Spanish warship.
10. At what does Aubrey relentlessly practice the crew?
(a) Rigging the sails.
(b) Obeying orders instantly.
(c) Firing the guns.
(d) Boarding and rowing the small boats.
11. Who suspects Maturin has an addiction?
12. What kind of relationship do Maturin and Aubrey have?
(a) Professional bonding.
(b) Close friends.
13. How many prizes did Spartan capture?
14. How does Maturin plan to use Surprise?
(a) In covert operations.
(b) As a pleasure vessel.
(c) As a privateer.
(d) As a scientific research vessel.
15. Why are the two men from question # 42 not in England?
(a) They never lived in England.
(b) They are doing intelligence work where they are.
(c) The Queen sent them on a mission.
(d) The arrest was bungled.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what position will Barrett Bonden work on Surprise?
2. Why did Surprise catch Merlin easily?
3. What do the new men on board the Surprise have to have in order to stay as crew?
4. In what capacity does Maturin generally sail?
5. Why did West receive a court martial?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)