|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maturin walk to town?
(a) For the exercise.
(b) He doesn't have a horse.
(c) It's only a half mile from the docks.
(d) To save money.
2. Who are the men responsible for Aubrey's circumstances in England?
(a) Pearson and Towers.
(b) Horne and Babcock.
(c) Johnson and Breck.
(d) Wray and Ledward.
3. What is the ship, Merlin, they encounter in Chapter 3?
(a) A French privateer.
(b) A Spanish merchant ship.
(c) A British frigate.
(d) An American privateer.
4. What kind of addiction does Maturin have?
(c) Peyote seeds.
5. How might Aubrey's situation be corrected?
(a) By leaving retirement.
(b) When new evidence comes up.
(c) There is no problem with his situation.
(d) By the two men in question #42 return to England.
6. Why does the ship from question #38 close with Surprise?
(a) To capture them for the French navy.
(b) To press hands from her.
(c) To keep them from the Spanish peninsula.
(d) To offer trade goods.
7. What ship closes with Surprise after a few days out in Chapter 2?
(a) An American merchant ship.
(b) A Royal Navy frigate.
(c) A French battleship.
(d) A Spanish warship.
8. In what position will Barrett Bonden work on Surprise?
(a) First mate.
(b) Cabin boy.
(c) Second mate.
9. How does Maturin plan to use Surprise?
(a) In covert operations.
(b) As a scientific research vessel.
(c) As a privateer.
(d) As a pleasure vessel.
10. What is a major thing that was talked about at the dinner?
(a) Why Spain threw in with France.
(b) Hot-air balloons.
(c) What a great ship Surprise was.
(d) The French and the war.
11. In what year does THE LETTER OF MARQUE take place?
12. What does Maturin ask Nathaniel to do?
(a) Send a letter to Maturin's wife.
(b) Come and look at a strange bird.
(c) Act as surgeon's mate on Surprise.
(d) Keep his plants for him.
13. What will be Surprise's first cruise with Aubrey as captain?
(a) A sail to South America.
(b) A shake-down cruise.
(c) To America.
(d) A trip around the Matterhorn.
14. Why are the two men from question # 42 not in England?
(a) The arrest was bungled.
(b) They never lived in England.
(c) They are doing intelligence work where they are.
(d) The Queen sent them on a mission.
15. What has Maturin obtained that will enable him to use the Surprise?
(a) A commission in the Royal Navy.
(b) A large crew.
(c) Orders from the Queen for a covert mission.
(d) A Letter of Marque.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suspects Maturin has an addiction?
2. How do Aubrey and the crew feel about what Maturin gave him?
3. What is done to Surprise in Shelmerston?
4. Why did West receive a court martial?
5. For what does Aubrey have a reputation which makes men want to work for him?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)