|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the passenger the Tartarus carries who is a friend of Aubrey's and Maturin's?
(a) Peter Hannow.
2. What kind of work does Maturin do pro bono for the British Naval Intelligence service?
(a) Biochemical warfare with plants.
(c) Spy against Spain.
(d) Intelligence officer.
3. Who did Aubrey tell Tom Pullings to bar from coming aboard?
(a) Chris Hardings.
(b) An admiral.
(c) Rudy Umber.
(d) A red-haired woman.
4. What musical instrument does Aubrey play?
5. Why does Aubrey think work is done better by privately-funded operations than the government?
(a) It is better quality.
(b) It is done more efficiently.
(c) He has no opinion on private versus government work.
(d) It takes longer but is done right.
6. Why did Surprise catch Merlin easily?
(a) She had her sails down.
(b) She was taking on water.
(c) She is loaded too heavy.
(d) She is damaged.
7. In what position will Barrett Bonden work on Surprise?
(a) Cabin boy.
(b) Second mate.
(c) First mate.
8. In what direction does Aubrey go in his first cruise of Surprise?
9. Who is at a gathering on the ship that night?
(a) The ship's crew.
(b) Several intelligence officers.
(c) The ship's officers.
(d) The officers, admirals and other notables.
10. What made Aubrey feel encouraged at the gathering?
(a) Maturin was sober.
(b) He was given a letter from Lord Nelson.
(c) They served his favorite food.
(d) He was toasted.
11. Why is the ship Surprise available for purchase?
(a) It has been sold out of the navy.
(b) It is too old to sail.
(c) It has been wrecked.
(d) The captain has died.
12. What kind of addiction does Maturin have?
(c) Peyote seeds.
13. What does Aubrey do after the encounter with Spartan and Merlin?
(a) Returns to England.
(b) Go to get Spartan's prizes.
(c) Continues to South America.
(d) Goes to Africa.
14. On what is the Surprise waiting to sail?
(b) Full moon.
(c) The ship's cook.
(d) The outgoing tide.
15. What happens when Maturin gets to the ship?
(a) He gets high on opium.
(b) They set sail.
(c) Aubrey scolds him.
(d) They have a dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs when Tartarus and Surprise meet?
2. Why do Aubrey's plans to capture Spartan go awry?
3. Who are the men responsible for Aubrey's circumstances in England?
4. Why is Aubrey reticent at the gathering?
5. In what position will Tom Pullings work on Surprise?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)