|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Maturin gets to the ship?
(a) Aubrey scolds him.
(b) He gets high on opium.
(c) They have a dinner.
(d) They set sail.
2. What type of cargo is the Azul carrying?
(a) A hold full of swords.
(b) A treasure of quicksilver.
(c) Coffee from South America.
(d) Chests of gold.
3. Why does Maturin walk to town?
(a) He doesn't have a horse.
(b) To save money.
(c) For the exercise.
(d) It's only a half mile from the docks.
4. What is a major thing that was talked about at the dinner?
(a) What a great ship Surprise was.
(b) Hot-air balloons.
(c) Why Spain threw in with France.
(d) The French and the war.
5. In what position will Barrett Bonden work on Surprise?
(a) First mate.
(b) Second mate.
(d) Cabin boy.
6. What type of people make up much of the residents in Shelmerston?
(b) Smugglers and near pirates.
(c) Ship builders.
(d) Navy sailors.
7. How do Aubrey and the crew feel about what Maturin gave him?
8. What is it about the crew Aubrey has that is unusual?
(a) It has a Frenchman on it.
(b) It is a picked crew.
(c) None of them are criminals.
(d) It is all one nationality.
9. For what does Aubrey have a reputation which makes men want to work for him?
(a) Always being right.
(b) Being lucky.
(c) Paying high wages.
(d) Always being fair.
10. Where are the people on Merlin who are not the crew being taken?
11. Who suspects Maturin has an addiction?
12. What does Aubrey do after the encounter with Spartan and Merlin?
(a) Returns to England.
(b) Go to get Spartan's prizes.
(c) Continues to South America.
(d) Goes to Africa.
13. What will be Surprise's first cruise with Aubrey as captain?
(a) A sail to South America.
(b) A shake-down cruise.
(c) To America.
(d) A trip around the Matterhorn.
14. What does Maturin do for Padeen's pain?
(a) Administers laudanum.
(b) Gets him drunk on Irish whiskey.
(c) Gives him a shot of morphine.
(d) Gives him aspirin.
15. What moves into the area where Surprise is in Chapter 2?
(a) Two Spanish cruisers.
(b) A vast storm system.
(c) A French Amanda.
(d) Hot, muggy weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Padeen's hand?
2. How were the men timed when laying about?
3. How does Martin feel about Maturin's request?
4. Why did Surprise catch Merlin easily?
5. Why does the ship from question #38 close with Surprise?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)