|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Concetta's son named after?
2. Where is Sarina when Pirrone talks to her the day after his speech?
3. How many years after Chapter 5 does Chapter 6 take place?
4. What did Donna Rosa do for the Salina sisters?
5. What does Pirrone realize at the end of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Donna Rosa and why is her association with the Salina sisters under investigation?
2. What is the surprising way that Pirrone deals with his family's situation?
3. What is the overall opinion that the Prince has of his life during his final moments?
4. What is interesting about the way Pirrone's mother responds to his speech?
5. What is the result of the consultation between the Prince and Calogero?
6. What is symbolic about the way the Prince dies?
7. What tactic does Chevalley use in an attempt to convince the Prince to accept his offer, and what is the Prince's response?
8. What events have taken place between Chapter 6 and Chapter 7?
9. What is Ciccio's theory about why the town dislikes Calogero?
10. What is the situation Sarina finds herself in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angelica is one of the most interesting characters in the book because of the attention she draws from many of the other characters. Describe the way she is originally introduced, how her intentions become gradually clearer as her role in the Salina family increases, and the changes her character experiences at the end of the story. Also, compare her with Concetta and the different approach both characters have to a similar objective. Include examples from the novel in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
The stars represent an unchanging reality for the Prince that he looks to for comfort and reassurance.
1) Describe the appearances by the stars in the novel and the events that they correspond to.
2) Explain how the stars relate to the main theme of the story and the balance they provide to the change taking place.
3) Describe the role of the stars in the Prince's death and why their presence allows him to accept one of the biggest changes of his life.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the significance of the Prince's speech in Chapter 4 both politically and culturally. Include a description of the speech itself, the events leading up to it, and why he chooses this point in the story to give the longest explanation of his views. Also, discuss the way the Prince incorporates the people of Sicily in his opinions of aristocracy and the likeliness that all Sicilians would agree with his bold statements.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)