|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is unhappy to see Angelica during her first visit after her betrothal?
2. How does the Prince live, according to Pirrone in Chapter 5?
3. What does Pirrone realize at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What does Pirrone say will never die in his speech?
5. Who does Pirrone compare Angelina to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the way the Prince dies?
2. What is the surprising way that Pirrone deals with his family's situation?
3. How has the Prince's view of Concetta changed as he approaches the end of his life?
4. What is Ciccio's theory about why the town dislikes Calogero?
5. What is the situation Sarina finds herself in?
6. What tactic does Chevalley use in an attempt to convince the Prince to accept his offer, and what is the Prince's response?
7. What is the result of the consultation between the Prince and Calogero?
8. What is interesting about the way Pirrone's mother responds to his speech?
9. Who is Donna Rosa and why is her association with the Salina sisters under investigation?
10. How are the three Salina sisters described in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Prince and Calogero are the two families that represent both sides of the change the revolution is causing to take place.
1) Describe the major differences between the Prince and Calogero in their way of life, as well as their views on wealth and class separation.
2) Describe some of the similarities between the Prince and Calogero in how they change throughout the story.
3) Analyze the background of the Prince and Calogero, including the differences in their reputations and the way they both achieved their social and financial status.
Essay Topic 2
The Prince is interrupted on three separate occasions throughout the book; two are for personal reasons and one is work related.
1) Describe all three situations where the Prince is interrupted, including what he is doing and how that plays a role in the nature of the interruption.
2) Explain which characters are interrupting the Prince and why they are chosen to intrude on his life in this way.
3) Analyze what the broader significance of the interruptions are pertaining to theme of change in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Angelica is one of the most interesting characters in the book because of the attention she draws from many of the other characters. Describe the way she is originally introduced, how her intentions become gradually clearer as her role in the Salina family increases, and the changes her character experiences at the end of the story. Also, compare her with Concetta and the different approach both characters have to a similar objective. Include examples from the novel in your analysis.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)