|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calogero realize as the preparations for Tancredi and Angelica's wedding are made?
2. Which one of the following are not included in the list of Angelica's characteristics Ciccio reports to the Prince?
3. What will make Sarina's situation more difficult for Pirrone?
4. How does the Prince describe Sicily's way of thinking to Chevalley?
5. How does Paolo die?
Essay Topic 1
Although marriage is a central topic for the plot of the story, there seems to be a number of mixed messages being sent by the author regarding the value or end results of it. Describe the different marriages that are depicted in the book and compare them to each other. Include an explanation of which marriages, if any, are the most successful, which ones are the most relevant to the main point of the novel, and what statement the author might be trying to make about marriage in general.
Essay Topic 2
Irony and foreshadowing are two of the many literary techniques used by the author in writing The Leopard.
1) Describe 3 examples of foreshadowing in the book and how they represent the main theme.
2) Describe 3 examples of irony in the book and the significance of the characters and places for each one.
Essay Topic 3
The tone of the author throughout the book changes from descriptive prose to suspenseful narrative.
1) Explain 3 examples of how the author uses vivid descriptions to parallel the atmosphere and mood of the characters.
2) Describe the tone at the end of the story, the reason for the change, how the plot changes along with the narration, and why the author chooses to present this type of suspense after the main character has died.
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)