|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the authoritarian of the Salina family when the Cardinal's representatives visit their house?
2. When does Chapter 7 take place?
3. What does Concetta keep in her lock boxes?
4. How long did it take the Salina sisters to acquire each relic?
5. How many years after Chapter 5 does Chapter 6 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Donna Rosa and why is her association with the Salina sisters under investigation?
2. What is symbolic about the way the Prince dies?
3. What is Ciccio's theory about why the town dislikes Calogero?
4. What happens while the Prince is dancing with Angelica at the ball?
5. Who is Chevalley and what offer does he have for the Prince?
6. What events have taken place between Chapter 6 and Chapter 7?
7. What news does Tancredi have as he returns in Chapter 4?
8. What is Concetta concerned about at the end of Chapter 8, Part 1?
9. Why do Ciccio and the Prince disagree on the pending marriage?
10. What is interesting about the way Pirrone's mother responds to his speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pirrone is an interesting character because his views oppose the Prince's views, yet he is still considered a person that the Salina family goes to for advice and consultation. Describe in detail the purpose of Pirrone in the story along with his opinions about the revolution and the aristocracy in general. Also, explain what happens to his own family that causes him to use tactics that are uncharacteristic for him, and why the situations he is dealing with are changing his opinions on aristocracy and peasantry. Include several examples from the book to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
The grand ball in Chapter 6 is the setting for many crucial turning points of the story.
1) Describe the ball and the guests that attend it, including the main purpose for the event, and whether or not that purpose is achieved.
2) Explain the Prince's state of mind before, during, and after the ball, as well as the characters and events that influence it.
3) Analyze the possible interpretations of the painting that the Prince sees in the library along with how they relate to the Prince's life at this point in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The tone of the author throughout the book changes from descriptive prose to suspenseful narrative.
1) Explain 3 examples of how the author uses vivid descriptions to parallel the atmosphere and mood of the characters.
2) Describe the tone at the end of the story, the reason for the change, how the plot changes along with the narration, and why the author chooses to present this type of suspense after the main character has died.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)