|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Prince consider the vote in Chapter 3, Part 2?
2. What tires the Prince in Chapter 7?
3. How does the Prince describe Sicily's way of thinking to Chevalley?
4. How long did it take the Salina sisters to acquire each relic?
5. What year does the ball in Chapter 6 take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Prince's nephew, Tancredi, is a complex character that undergoes a great deal of change during the course of the story.
1) Describe the positions Tancredi takes on the revolution, how they change, and why his life influences them.
2) Explain how Tancredi's character both represents and contradicts the main theme of the story, which is inevitable change.
3) Compare Tancredi with the Prince in terms of how they both perceive the family's status and the changes that threaten it.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is the main literary technique used in The Leopard. Describe 5 different examples of symbols that are presented in the book, the events and situations related to them, and how each symbol used reflects the characters involved and/or the main theme of the story.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some of the chapters in the novel to bridge gaps of time between them. Analyze the decision to exclude the description of significant events as they happen (the revolution, the deaths of key characters, etc.) and why they are instead summarized in the subsequent chapters. Also, explain which are the largest gaps in time that occur and what you think the author's intentions are in using this technique.
This section contains 1,726 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)