|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stopped the influx of relics for the Salina sisters?
2. What does Calogero realize as the preparations for Tancredi and Angelica's wedding are made?
3. How is Pirrone greeted when he visits his hometown?
4. How does Pirrone describe the Prince's reaction to the revolution in his speech?
5. What does Ciccio think Calogero represents for the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Ciccio and the Prince disagree on the pending marriage?
2. How has the Prince's view of Concetta changed as he approaches the end of his life?
3. Who is Donna Rosa and why is her association with the Salina sisters under investigation?
4. What two symbols does the Prince encounter on his way home from the ball?
5. What is Ciccio's theory about why the town dislikes Calogero?
6. What is symbolic about the way the Prince dies?
7. What is the surprising way that Pirrone deals with his family's situation?
8. What events have taken place between Chapter 6 and Chapter 7?
9. What tactic does Chevalley use in an attempt to convince the Prince to accept his offer, and what is the Prince's response?
10. What is the situation Sarina finds herself in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Ciccio's theory about money and the way people view Calogero. Also, describe the Prince's opinion of money and its place in the aristocracy. Use the book to provide examples of how the issues of the characters can be applied to a more general sense of the role money plays in society.
Essay Topic 2
Angelica is one of the most interesting characters in the book because of the attention she draws from many of the other characters. Describe the way she is originally introduced, how her intentions become gradually clearer as her role in the Salina family increases, and the changes her character experiences at the end of the story. Also, compare her with Concetta and the different approach both characters have to a similar objective. Include examples from the novel in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the story that Tancredi tells after the dinner to Angelica and answer the following questions: Why does Tancredi choose to tell the story to Angelica instead of Concetta? What are some of the possible intentions he has for telling it? Why is the story ironic considering the events that happen on the following day? What are the major differences in the way Concetta and Angelica respond to the story when it is first told as opposed to how they react to Tassoni's account of it in the final chapter? Overall, what does the story represent for all three characters, Tancredi, Angelica, and Concetta?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)