|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the rebels fighting against?
2. What is the Prince doing when Pirrone interrupts in Chapter 2, Part 2?
3. What is the Prince's favorite dessert?
4. Where does the Prince go after his nap in Chapter 2, Part 2?
5. Who does Don Calogero request to bring to the dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Prince and Tancredi talk about before the dinner?
2. What is the Prince doing as Pirrone interrupts him in Chapter 2, Part 2, and how does Pirrone react?
3. How is the Prince's office decorated and what is his opinion of it?
4. How does Tancredi act towards Angelica after the dinner and what is Concetta's response?
5. When, where, and how does The Leopard begin in Chapter 1?
6. Why is Tancredi gone when the Prince finishes his visit at the convent?
7. What is the symbolic dessert made for the Prince?
8. What notion does Tancredi introduce to the Prince in the second part of Chapter 1, and how does the Prince respond?
9. What does the Prince think about a marriage of Tancredi and Concetta and how does he respond to Pirrone?
10. What does the Prince see in the garden and what does he turn to as a source of comfort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony and foreshadowing are two of the many literary techniques used by the author in writing The Leopard.
1) Describe 3 examples of foreshadowing in the book and how they represent the main theme.
2) Describe 3 examples of irony in the book and the significance of the characters and places for each one.
Essay Topic 2
In The Leopard, the author makes two significant analogies using situations that are indicative of the time in which the novel was written. Describe the analogies and the situations they are designed to illustrate. Also, explain why the author chooses to reference things from the future instead of using universal events that correspond to what the characters are experiencing. Include an analysis of the effectiveness of this technique and what it adds or takes away from the novel from a literary standpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Ciccio's theory about money and the way people view Calogero. Also, describe the Prince's opinion of money and its place in the aristocracy. Use the book to provide examples of how the issues of the characters can be applied to a more general sense of the role money plays in society.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)