|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Prince announce he is going to Palermo?
2. How is Angelica acting towards Tancredi in Chapter 2, Part 3?
3. How does the Prince respond to Calogero's appearance at the dinner?
4. Who invited the villagers to visit the estate later in the evening?
5. What kind of paintings line the walls of the Prince's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the trip to Donnafugata described and what do the cicadas represent?
2. What is the Prince's state of mind at the ball in Chapter 6?
3. How does the family know the Prince is upset at dinner and what announcement does he make?
4. What news does Tancredi have as he returns in Chapter 4?
5. What two symbols does the Prince encounter on his way home from the ball?
6. What does the Prince see in the garden and what does he turn to as a source of comfort?
7. Who is Chevalley and what offer does he have for the Prince?
8. What news does the Tassoni bring on his surprise visit to Concetta?
9. What does the Prince think about a marriage of Tancredi and Concetta and how does he respond to Pirrone?
10. What is symbolic about the way the Prince dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tone of the author throughout the book changes from descriptive prose to suspenseful narrative.
1) Explain 3 examples of how the author uses vivid descriptions to parallel the atmosphere and mood of the characters.
2) Describe the tone at the end of the story, the reason for the change, how the plot changes along with the narration, and why the author chooses to present this type of suspense after the main character has died.
Essay Topic 2
The grand ball in Chapter 6 is the setting for many crucial turning points of the story.
1) Describe the ball and the guests that attend it, including the main purpose for the event, and whether or not that purpose is achieved.
2) Explain the Prince's state of mind before, during, and after the ball, as well as the characters and events that influence it.
3) Analyze the possible interpretations of the painting that the Prince sees in the library along with how they relate to the Prince's life at this point in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is the main literary technique used in The Leopard. Describe 5 different examples of symbols that are presented in the book, the events and situations related to them, and how each symbol used reflects the characters involved and/or the main theme of the story.
This section contains 2,325 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)