|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months have passed between Chapter 2 and Chapter 3?
2. Who is in Palermo that the Prince is going to visit?
3. How does the Prince announce he is going to Palermo?
4. How does Calogero appear when he arrives for the dinner?
5. How does the Prince change the subject while talking to Tancredi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the way the Prince dies?
2. What do Concetta and Angelica discuss in Chapter 8, Part 2?
3. How does the Prince think about the Princess while traveling to Palermo?
4. What reception is the Prince expecting in Donnafugata and what kind of a welcome does he actually receive?
5. Why is Tancredi gone when the Prince finishes his visit at the convent?
6. How does the tone of the book change in Chapter 8, Part 1?
7. What does Pirrone say about the Prince's way of life in his speech?
8. What is the conversation between Pirrone and the Prince about in Chapter 1, Part 2?
9. What is the overall opinion that the Prince has of his life during his final moments?
10. What letter does the Prince receive at the end of Chapter 1, Part 2, and what is his response to it?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story that Tancredi tells after the dinner to Angelica and answer the following questions: Why does Tancredi choose to tell the story to Angelica instead of Concetta? What are some of the possible intentions he has for telling it? Why is the story ironic considering the events that happen on the following day? What are the major differences in the way Concetta and Angelica respond to the story when it is first told as opposed to how they react to Tassoni's account of it in the final chapter? Overall, what does the story represent for all three characters, Tancredi, Angelica, and Concetta?
Essay Topic 2
The tone of the author throughout the book changes from descriptive prose to suspenseful narrative.
1) Explain 3 examples of how the author uses vivid descriptions to parallel the atmosphere and mood of the characters.
2) Describe the tone at the end of the story, the reason for the change, how the plot changes along with the narration, and why the author chooses to present this type of suspense after the main character has died.
Essay Topic 3
Concetta is the final representative of the Salina family name at the end of the novel as she thematically lets go of the past and accepts the changes in her life.
1) Describe how Concetta's character has developed from the beginning of the story to the ending of it. Include examples of how some of the other main characters perceived her, along with which perceptions of her changed and why.
2) Compare the Prince and Concetta in how they both approach the changes in their lives.
3) Analyze the statement that Concetta is making at the end of The Leopard and the possible effects it could have on the future of the Salina family.
This section contains 2,282 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)