Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months have passed between Chapter 2 and Chapter 3?
2. Who is in Palermo that the Prince is going to visit?
3. How does the Prince announce he is going to Palermo?
4. How does Calogero appear when he arrives for the dinner?
5. How does the Prince change the subject while talking to Tancredi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the way the Prince dies?
2. What do Concetta and Angelica discuss in Chapter 8, Part 2?
3. How does the Prince think about the Princess while traveling to Palermo?
4. What reception is the Prince expecting in Donnafugata and what kind of a welcome does he actually receive?
5. Why is Tancredi gone when the Prince finishes his visit at the convent?
6. How does the tone of the book change in Chapter 8, Part 1?
7. What does Pirrone say about the Prince's way of life in his speech?
8. What is the conversation between Pirrone and the Prince about in Chapter 1, Part 2?
9. What is the overall opinion that the Prince has of his life during his final moments?
10. What letter does the Prince receive at the end of Chapter 1, Part 2, and what is his response to it?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is the main literary technique used in The Leopard. Describe 5 different examples of symbols that are presented in the book, the events and situations related to them, and how each symbol used reflects the characters involved and/or the main theme of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the significance of the Prince's speech in Chapter 4 both politically and culturally. Include a description of the speech itself, the events leading up to it, and why he chooses this point in the story to give the longest explanation of his views. Also, discuss the way the Prince incorporates the people of Sicily in his opinions of aristocracy and the likeliness that all Sicilians would agree with his bold statements.
Essay Topic 3
Concetta is the final representative of the Salina family name at the end of the novel as she thematically lets go of the past and accepts the changes in her life.
1) Describe how Concetta's character has developed from the beginning of the story to the ending of it. Include examples of how some of the other main characters perceived her, along with which perceptions of her changed and why.
2) Compare the Prince and Concetta in how they both approach the changes in their lives.
3) Analyze the statement that Concetta is making at the end of The Leopard and the possible effects it could have on the future of the Salina family.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)