|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the desk of the Prince like?
2. When does the first chapter of The Leopard take place?
3. How does Concetta react to Tancredi's story about Tassoni?
4. Where does the Prince go after his nap in Chapter 2, Part 2?
5. How does the Prince respond to Tancredi's reasons for proposing to Angelica?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Tancredi's interruption of the Prince in Chapter 1, Part 2?
2. How does the manager describe Angelica to the Prince and what is the Prince's opinion of Calogero at the end of Chapter 2, Part 1?
3. What do the Prince and Tancredi talk about before the dinner?
4. How is the Prince's office decorated and what is his opinion of it?
5. How often does Tancredi write to the Prince and what is the subject of his letters?
6. What is Tancredi doing at the end of Chapter 2?
7. What is the reasoning used by Tancredi to justify his desire to marry Angelica in his letters to the Prince?
8. What has happened as a result of the revolution?
9. What is the news that Pirrone brings to the Prince?
10. How does Tancredi act towards Angelica after the dinner and what is Concetta's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angelica is one of the most interesting characters in the book because of the attention she draws from many of the other characters. Describe the way she is originally introduced, how her intentions become gradually clearer as her role in the Salina family increases, and the changes her character experiences at the end of the story. Also, compare her with Concetta and the different approach both characters have to a similar objective. Include examples from the novel in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Concetta is the final representative of the Salina family name at the end of the novel as she thematically lets go of the past and accepts the changes in her life.
1) Describe how Concetta's character has developed from the beginning of the story to the ending of it. Include examples of how some of the other main characters perceived her, along with which perceptions of her changed and why.
2) Compare the Prince and Concetta in how they both approach the changes in their lives.
3) Analyze the statement that Concetta is making at the end of The Leopard and the possible effects it could have on the future of the Salina family.
Essay Topic 3
The tone of the author throughout the book changes from descriptive prose to suspenseful narrative.
1) Explain 3 examples of how the author uses vivid descriptions to parallel the atmosphere and mood of the characters.
2) Describe the tone at the end of the story, the reason for the change, how the plot changes along with the narration, and why the author chooses to present this type of suspense after the main character has died.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)