|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the harsh song of the cicadas arrive?
2. What is the Prince preoccupied with when Tancredi interrupts him in the second part of Chapter 2?
3. How does the Prince announce he is going to Palermo?
4. What is described at the beginning of the third part of Chapter 2?
5. When does the first chapter of The Leopard take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How often does Tancredi write to the Prince and what is the subject of his letters?
2. How is the Prince compromising parts of his life, and what analogy is made for his situation in Chapter 3, Part 1?
3. What has happened as a result of the revolution?
4. How does Tancredi act towards Angelica after the dinner and what is Concetta's response?
5. What is the Prince worried about in his return trip from Palermo that takes place in Chapter 1, Part 1?
6. What is the Plebiscite of Unification, and how does the Prince vote on it?
7. How does Calogero appear at the dinner and what is the Prince's response?
8. Who is Calogero and what request does he make for the dinner at the Salina's?
9. How does the Prince think about the Princess while traveling to Palermo?
10. How is the Prince's office decorated and what is his opinion of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tancredi and Angelica's wedding is one of the main focuses of the Prince as it becomes the source of conflict between accepting change and resisting it.
1) Describe the advantages that the Prince will have as a result of the marriage of Tancredi and Angelica.
2) Explain what the negative aspects of the marriage could be for the Prince and his family's legacy.
3) Analyze how Tancredi and Angelica's marriage represents an example of the book's main theme of change and why the Prince is conflicted on whether or not to support the event.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some of the chapters in the novel to bridge gaps of time between them. Analyze the decision to exclude the description of significant events as they happen (the revolution, the deaths of key characters, etc.) and why they are instead summarized in the subsequent chapters. Also, explain which are the largest gaps in time that occur and what you think the author's intentions are in using this technique.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the cities of Palermo and Donnafugata. Describe each town and its citizens as well as the Prince's position in them. Also, include examples of the effects that the revolution has on both cities, and the differences or similarities they have with the way the Prince changes.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)