|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Don Calogero request to bring to the dinner?
2. Why are the military guardsmen posted in Palermo?
3. How often does Angelica visit?
4. How did the local leaders of the revolution treat the Prince when they arrived at his palace?
5. How is Angelica acting towards Tancredi in Chapter 2, Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Plebiscite of Unification, and how does the Prince vote on it?
2. How is the garden described in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Calogero and what request does he make for the dinner at the Salina's?
4. What do the Prince and Tancredi talk about before the dinner?
5. How does the manager describe Angelica to the Prince and what is the Prince's opinion of Calogero at the end of Chapter 2, Part 1?
6. What is the symbolic dessert made for the Prince?
7. How does the Prince think about the Princess while traveling to Palermo?
8. What is the difference in the Prince as he arrives in Donnafugata and what does the change in him represent?
9. What notion does Tancredi introduce to the Prince in the second part of Chapter 1, and how does the Prince respond?
10. What letter does the Prince receive at the end of Chapter 1, Part 2, and what is his response to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story that Tancredi tells after the dinner to Angelica and answer the following questions: Why does Tancredi choose to tell the story to Angelica instead of Concetta? What are some of the possible intentions he has for telling it? Why is the story ironic considering the events that happen on the following day? What are the major differences in the way Concetta and Angelica respond to the story when it is first told as opposed to how they react to Tassoni's account of it in the final chapter? Overall, what does the story represent for all three characters, Tancredi, Angelica, and Concetta?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is the main literary technique used in The Leopard. Describe 5 different examples of symbols that are presented in the book, the events and situations related to them, and how each symbol used reflects the characters involved and/or the main theme of the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Prince and Calogero are the two families that represent both sides of the change the revolution is causing to take place.
1) Describe the major differences between the Prince and Calogero in their way of life, as well as their views on wealth and class separation.
2) Describe some of the similarities between the Prince and Calogero in how they change throughout the story.
3) Analyze the background of the Prince and Calogero, including the differences in their reputations and the way they both achieved their social and financial status.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)