|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stories is Tancredi telling Angelica after the dinner?
2. How do the Prince and Pirrone diffuse their anger in Chapter 1, Part 2?
3. How is the morning described as Chapter 3 begins?
4. How many of the guests have arrived for the dinner when the Prince and Tancredi reach the house?
5. How many men besides the Prince are allowed to enter the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Prince's office decorated and what is his opinion of it?
2. What reception is the Prince expecting in Donnafugata and what kind of a welcome does he actually receive?
3. How does the family know the Prince is upset at dinner and what announcement does he make?
4. Who is Calogero and what request does he make for the dinner at the Salina's?
5. Why is Tancredi gone when the Prince finishes his visit at the convent?
6. How is the garden described in Chapter 1?
7. What is the news that Pirrone brings to the Prince?
8. What is the symbolic dessert made for the Prince?
9. What is the Prince worried about in his return trip from Palermo that takes place in Chapter 1, Part 1?
10. What is Tancredi doing at the end of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Ciccio's theory about money and the way people view Calogero. Also, describe the Prince's opinion of money and its place in the aristocracy. Use the book to provide examples of how the issues of the characters can be applied to a more general sense of the role money plays in society.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some of the chapters in the novel to bridge gaps of time between them. Analyze the decision to exclude the description of significant events as they happen (the revolution, the deaths of key characters, etc.) and why they are instead summarized in the subsequent chapters. Also, explain which are the largest gaps in time that occur and what you think the author's intentions are in using this technique.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is the main literary technique used in The Leopard. Describe 5 different examples of symbols that are presented in the book, the events and situations related to them, and how each symbol used reflects the characters involved and/or the main theme of the story.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)