|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovered the convent that the Prince is visiting?
2. What is the Prince's favorite dessert?
3. How old is the tradition of visiting the convent that the family upholds in Chapter 2, Part 3?
4. What does the Prince sense in Tancredi's words?
5. What will be the result of the revolution, according to Pirrone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Prince think about the Princess while traveling to Palermo?
2. What is Tancredi doing at the end of Chapter 2?
3. What is the symbolic dessert made for the Prince?
4. What does the Prince think about a marriage of Tancredi and Concetta and how does he respond to Pirrone?
5. What is the difference in the Prince as he arrives in Donnafugata and what does the change in him represent?
6. How is the Prince's office decorated and what is his opinion of it?
7. What is the Prince doing as Pirrone interrupts him in Chapter 2, Part 2, and how does Pirrone react?
8. How often does Tancredi write to the Prince and what is the subject of his letters?
9. When, where, and how does The Leopard begin in Chapter 1?
10. What is the news that Pirrone brings to the Prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony and foreshadowing are two of the many literary techniques used by the author in writing The Leopard.
1) Describe 3 examples of foreshadowing in the book and how they represent the main theme.
2) Describe 3 examples of irony in the book and the significance of the characters and places for each one.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some of the chapters in the novel to bridge gaps of time between them. Analyze the decision to exclude the description of significant events as they happen (the revolution, the deaths of key characters, etc.) and why they are instead summarized in the subsequent chapters. Also, explain which are the largest gaps in time that occur and what you think the author's intentions are in using this technique.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Ciccio's theory about money and the way people view Calogero. Also, describe the Prince's opinion of money and its place in the aristocracy. Use the book to provide examples of how the issues of the characters can be applied to a more general sense of the role money plays in society.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)