|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pirrone react when he interrupts the Prince?
2. How old is the tradition of visiting the convent that the family upholds in Chapter 2, Part 3?
3. What are the rebels fighting against?
4. What is it that Concetta has instructed Pirrone to ask her father?
5. How does the Prince consider the Princess on his way to Palermo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Plebiscite of Unification, and how does the Prince vote on it?
2. What is the symbolic dessert made for the Prince?
3. When, where, and how does The Leopard begin in Chapter 1?
4. What is the news that Pirrone brings to the Prince?
5. What has happened as a result of the revolution?
6. What is the purpose of Tancredi's interruption of the Prince in Chapter 1, Part 2?
7. How does the Prince think about the Princess while traveling to Palermo?
8. Why is Tancredi gone when the Prince finishes his visit at the convent?
9. How does the family know the Prince is upset at dinner and what announcement does he make?
10. What is the reasoning used by Tancredi to justify his desire to marry Angelica in his letters to the Prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stars represent an unchanging reality for the Prince that he looks to for comfort and reassurance.
1) Describe the appearances by the stars in the novel and the events that they correspond to.
2) Explain how the stars relate to the main theme of the story and the balance they provide to the change taking place.
3) Describe the role of the stars in the Prince's death and why their presence allows him to accept one of the biggest changes of his life.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some of the chapters in the novel to bridge gaps of time between them. Analyze the decision to exclude the description of significant events as they happen (the revolution, the deaths of key characters, etc.) and why they are instead summarized in the subsequent chapters. Also, explain which are the largest gaps in time that occur and what you think the author's intentions are in using this technique.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Ciccio's theory about money and the way people view Calogero. Also, describe the Prince's opinion of money and its place in the aristocracy. Use the book to provide examples of how the issues of the characters can be applied to a more general sense of the role money plays in society.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)