Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months have passed between Chapter 2 and Chapter 3?
2. Who is in Palermo that the Prince is going to visit?
3. How does the Prince announce he is going to Palermo?
4. How does Calogero appear when he arrives for the dinner?
5. How does the Prince change the subject while talking to Tancredi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the way the Prince dies?
2. What do Concetta and Angelica discuss in Chapter 8, Part 2?
3. How does the Prince think about the Princess while traveling to Palermo?
4. What reception is the Prince expecting in Donnafugata and what kind of a welcome does he actually receive?
5. Why is Tancredi gone when the Prince finishes his visit at the convent?
6. How does the tone of the book change in Chapter 8, Part 1?
7. What does Pirrone say about the Prince's way of life in his speech?
8. What is the conversation between Pirrone and the Prince about in Chapter 1, Part 2?
9. What is the overall opinion that the Prince has of his life during his final moments?
10. What letter does the Prince receive at the end of Chapter 1, Part 2, and what is his response to it?
Essay Topic 1
The Prince and Calogero are the two families that represent both sides of the change the revolution is causing to take place.
1) Describe the major differences between the Prince and Calogero in their way of life, as well as their views on wealth and class separation.
2) Describe some of the similarities between the Prince and Calogero in how they change throughout the story.
3) Analyze the background of the Prince and Calogero, including the differences in their reputations and the way they both achieved their social and financial status.
Essay Topic 2
The grand ball in Chapter 6 is the setting for many crucial turning points of the story.
1) Describe the ball and the guests that attend it, including the main purpose for the event, and whether or not that purpose is achieved.
2) Explain the Prince's state of mind before, during, and after the ball, as well as the characters and events that influence it.
3) Analyze the possible interpretations of the painting that the Prince sees in the library along with how they relate to the Prince's life at this point in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is the main literary technique used in The Leopard. Describe 5 different examples of symbols that are presented in the book, the events and situations related to them, and how each symbol used reflects the characters involved and/or the main theme of the story.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)