|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Prince and Tancredi talk about during their uncomfortable discussion in Chapter 2, Part 2?
2. How is the morning described as Chapter 3 begins?
3. What does the Prince tell Pirrone about the transformations of time?
4. What does Tancredi brush away from Concetta's face?
5. Where is the Princess when the Prince returns from Palermo in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Prince think about a marriage of Tancredi and Concetta and how does he respond to Pirrone?
2. What is interesting about the way the Prince and Tancredi react to Angelica at the dinner?
3. What is the Prince doing as Pirrone interrupts him in Chapter 2, Part 2, and how does Pirrone react?
4. How does the manager describe Angelica to the Prince and what is the Prince's opinion of Calogero at the end of Chapter 2, Part 1?
5. When, where, and how does The Leopard begin in Chapter 1?
6. Why is Tancredi gone when the Prince finishes his visit at the convent?
7. What is the Plebiscite of Unification, and how does the Prince vote on it?
8. What is the conversation between Pirrone and the Prince about in Chapter 1, Part 2?
9. What is Tancredi doing at the end of Chapter 2?
10. What is the reasoning used by Tancredi to justify his desire to marry Angelica in his letters to the Prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is the main literary technique used in The Leopard. Describe 5 different examples of symbols that are presented in the book, the events and situations related to them, and how each symbol used reflects the characters involved and/or the main theme of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Tancredi and Angelica's wedding is one of the main focuses of the Prince as it becomes the source of conflict between accepting change and resisting it.
1) Describe the advantages that the Prince will have as a result of the marriage of Tancredi and Angelica.
2) Explain what the negative aspects of the marriage could be for the Prince and his family's legacy.
3) Analyze how Tancredi and Angelica's marriage represents an example of the book's main theme of change and why the Prince is conflicted on whether or not to support the event.
Essay Topic 3
The Prince and Calogero are the two families that represent both sides of the change the revolution is causing to take place.
1) Describe the major differences between the Prince and Calogero in their way of life, as well as their views on wealth and class separation.
2) Describe some of the similarities between the Prince and Calogero in how they change throughout the story.
3) Analyze the background of the Prince and Calogero, including the differences in their reputations and the way they both achieved their social and financial status.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)