|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom tell Henning Christine's name is when they meet at the bus station in Part Three?
2. What author is Tom nicknamed after by the Barefoot People in Part Four?
3. What is the first name of Mrs. Falk?
4. What gift does Jill get her mother for Christmas in Part Four?
5. How old was Jason Falzone when he was killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you compare Kevin Garvey to the other main characters in the novel?
2. What does Jason Falzone symbolize for the Watchers?
3. Who is Patti Levin and what is her role within the GR?
4. How has the relationship between Jill and Aimee changed in Part Four? Why has it changed?
5. How does Gary respond to Meg’s visit on Christmas Day in Part Three?
6. How is Christmas morning described at the Garvey household in Part Three?
7. What led Kevin Garvey to run for public office? Has he achieved his objectives in his position?
8. What causes Kevin to break down crying during Valentine’s Day dinner? How does Nora respond?
9. Why does the GR press Laurie to divorce Kevin? Why does Laurie resist?
10. What does Christine come to symbolize for Tom in Part Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Laurie Garvey in The Leftovers. What organization has Laurie become indoctrinated in? Why did Laurie leave her family? Do you think she regrets her actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of abandonment in The Leftovers. Who in the story has been abandoned, either wittingly or unwittingly following the Sudden Departure? How do each of these characters come to cope with abandonment? What symbolism supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
What was Jill Garvey’s experience in the Sudden Departure? Who did she lose? How did the experience affect her? How does Jill come to terms with her experience?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)