|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mapleton's longtime health inspector?
2. What color is the house that is called Outpost 17?
3. Where along their cross-country journey did Tom and Christine almost freeze to death during a blizzard?
4. What movie does Kevin sit alone watching on Christmas Day in Part Three?
5. What is the name of the new vegan restaurant in Mapleton whose owner attends the city council meeting in Part Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom Garvey’s central conflict in Part Four?
2. How does the narrative perspective shift in Part Three?
3. What does Christine come to symbolize for Tom in Part Three?
4. Who is Patti Levin and what is her role within the GR?
5. What causes Kevin to break down crying during Valentine’s Day dinner? How does Nora respond?
6. What led Kevin Garvey to run for public office? Has he achieved his objectives in his position?
7. How would you compare Kevin Garvey to the other main characters in the novel?
8. How does Gary respond to Meg’s visit on Christmas Day in Part Three?
9. Why does the GR press Laurie to divorce Kevin? Why does Laurie resist?
10. What discovery do Meg and Laurie make regarding their roommates in Part Four? How do they respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think Christine’s baby comes to symbolize in the end of the novel? Why has the baby been abandoned? Who abandoned it? Who discovers the baby? How does this discovery affect this character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Kevin Garvey in the novel. How does Kevin stand apart from the other main characters in the story? How do Kevin’s experiences in the novel change him? What relationships does Kevin form?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment in The Leftovers. Who in the story has been abandoned, either wittingly or unwittingly following the Sudden Departure? How do each of these characters come to cope with abandonment? What symbolism supports this theme?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)