|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the new vegan restaurant in Mapleton whose owner attends the city council meeting in Part Four?
2. Who is the biography about that Jill gives to Kevin for Christmas in Part Three?
3. How many females are living in the Blue House at the GR headquarters in the beginning of "The Balzer Method"?
4. Where along their cross-country journey did Tom and Christine almost freeze to death during a blizzard?
5. On what streets is the Falks' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the chapter title “A Better-than-Average Girlfriend”?
2. How is Christmas morning described at the Garvey household in Part Three?
3. What discovery do Meg and Laurie make regarding their roommates in Part Four? How do they respond?
4. What does Jason Falzone symbolize for the Watchers?
5. What does Nora Durst do on Christmas Day? Why?
6. Why does the GR press Laurie to divorce Kevin? Why does Laurie resist?
7. What causes Kevin to break down crying during Valentine’s Day dinner? How does Nora respond?
8. What do Kevin and Jill discuss at Daisy’s Diner in Part Three?
9. What led Kevin Garvey to run for public office? Has he achieved his objectives in his position?
10. How has the relationship between Jill and Aimee changed in Part Four? Why has it changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of The Leftovers. What is meant when the narrative is described as “episodic”? How would you describe the linear and nonlinear qualities of the narrative? Where does the climax of the story occur?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Nora Durst abandon Kevin at the restaurant on Valentine’s Day? What have Kevin and Nora discussed just prior to her leaving? Why did this conversation give Nora grief?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Christine’s baby comes to symbolize in the end of the novel? Why has the baby been abandoned? Who abandoned it? Who discovers the baby? How does this discovery affect this character?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)