|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tom's best friend that disappeared on Sudden Departure day?
2. What is the name of Holy Wayne's movement that Tom has joined in the beginning of the novel?
3. Who was the twenty-five-year-old grad student that Kevin met on the internet?
4. What play has Jill's English class been studying in Part One?
5. Who is the Director of Public Outreach for the GR that speaks with Rosalie in the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the cartoon SpongeBob Squarepants symbolize for Nora Durst?
2. What does the act of smoking cigarettes signify in the novel?
3. What game do Aimee and Jill play at Dmitri’s house in Part Two? What is the objective of the game?
4. What prevents Kevin from spending the night with Melissa in Part Two?
5. Where are Laurie’s and Meg’s lodgings in Part Two? How is this setting described?
6. What are Nora Durst’s objectives in attending the social mixer in Part Two? Does she achieve these objectives?
7. What irony is revealed through the conversation between Nora and Kylie in Part Two?
8. Who is Aimee? How did Aimee come to live in the Garvey home?
9. Who is Wayne Gilchrest? Why has he been arrested in Part One?
10. How did the Sudden Departure impact Tom Garvey? Where was Tom when the event occurred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of The Leftovers. From whose perspective is the story related? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited? Why do you think the author employs this narrative style? How would the story differ if it were related from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship of Kevin and Nora while in Florida and in Mapleton. Why does Nora act differently in Florida? Why is she unable to behave in the same manner in Mapleton? How does Kevin perceive these differences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of The Leftovers. What is meant when the narrative is described as “episodic”? How would you describe the linear and nonlinear qualities of the narrative? Where does the climax of the story occur?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)