|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Nora's husband presumably have an affair with prior to the Sudden Departure?
2. Where do Aimee and Jill spend the morning when Jill misses her chemistry test in Part One?
3. Who does Nora dance with at the adult mixer in Part Two?
4. Where did Laurie Garvey attend college?
5. Where does the Sudden Departure Anniversary parade end in Mapleton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Kevin from spending the night with Melissa in Part Two?
2. What central metaphor is established through the narrative in Part One?
3. What does Reverend Matt Jamison give to Nora Durst in Part Two? How does she respond?
4. Who is Aimee? How did Aimee come to live in the Garvey home?
5. What are Nora Durst’s objectives in attending the social mixer in Part Two? Does she achieve these objectives?
6. What are the subjects of Reverend Matt Jamison’s newsletters in the novel? What are the objectives of the newsletters?
7. Who is Meg Lomax? What doubts does this character face when she is introduced in Part Two?
8. What game do Aimee and Jill play at Dmitri’s house in Part Two? What is the objective of the game?
9. What is Kevin’s relationship to The Carpe Diem? How often does Kevin frequent this establishment?
10. What does the cartoon SpongeBob Squarepants symbolize for Nora Durst?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of abandonment in The Leftovers. Who in the story has been abandoned, either wittingly or unwittingly following the Sudden Departure? How do each of these characters come to cope with abandonment? What symbolism supports this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Wayne Gilchrest in the novel. Whom did Wayne lose in the Sudden Departure? What led Wayne to develop the Healing Hug Movement? What charges are brought against Holy Wayne? How does he respond to the charges?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Patti Levin in the novel. What is Patti’s role within the GR? How did she come to this position? In what ways does Patti guide Laurie and Meg in their objectives?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)