|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Phil Crowther when he was martyred?
2. In what building at GR headquarters does Laurie live in normally when she is not training a new recruit, according to the narrator in Part Two?
3. What items are prohibited in the GR headquarters?
4. Who appears and prevents Kevin from spending the night with Melissa in Part Two?
5. What is the official name of the event that occurs on the Third Anniversary of the Sudden Departure day in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the subjects of Reverend Matt Jamison’s newsletters in the novel? What are the objectives of the newsletters?
2. How would you describe Jill’s relationship with her father in Part One?
3. Where are Laurie’s and Meg’s lodgings in Part Two? How is this setting described?
4. What central metaphor is established through the narrative in Part One?
5. How has Jill Garvey been affected by the Sudden Departure in Part One?
6. What does the cartoon SpongeBob Squarepants symbolize for Nora Durst?
7. Who is Meg Lomax? What doubts does this character face when she is introduced in Part Two?
8. Whom did Nora Durst lose on the day of the Sudden Departure? How has this affected her?
9. Who is Aimee? How did Aimee come to live in the Garvey home?
10. How does Tom Garvey come to be the chaperone and caretaker for Christine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Wayne Gilchrest in the novel. Whom did Wayne lose in the Sudden Departure? What led Wayne to develop the Healing Hug Movement? What charges are brought against Holy Wayne? How does he respond to the charges?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Christine’s baby comes to symbolize in the end of the novel? Why has the baby been abandoned? Who abandoned it? Who discovers the baby? How does this discovery affect this character?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tom come to be Christine’s chaperone and caretaker? Where does Tom travel with Christine? Why? How do they disguise themselves during their travels? Why?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)