|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For approximately how long does "The Unburdening" period last each day for the new recruits at the GR?
2. Who was the twenty-five-year-old grad student that Kevin met on the internet?
3. What title is Jill Garvey given due to her experience on Sudden Departure day?
4. What are the names of Nora Durst's children that she lost on the day of the Sudden Departure?
5. How many years of Tribulation are to follow the Rapture, according to Rosalie's interpretation of the Bible in the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kevin’s relationship to The Carpe Diem? How often does Kevin frequent this establishment?
2. How was Melissa Hulbert affected by the Sudden Departure? Whom did she lose?
3. What is Kevin Garvey’s role in Mapleton? Why does he attend the parade in Part One?
4. What does the cartoon SpongeBob Squarepants symbolize for Nora Durst?
5. Who is Meg Lomax? What doubts does this character face when she is introduced in Part Two?
6. How would you describe the mood and tone of Mapleton in the beginning of Part One? What event is taking place?
7. What central metaphor is established through the narrative in Part One?
8. What does the act of smoking cigarettes signify in the novel?
9. What main character is introduced in the Prologue? What information is related about this character in this brief section of the novel?
10. How does Tom Garvey come to be the chaperone and caretaker for Christine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of cults and exploitation in The Leftovers. What are the different cults that are highlighted in the narrative? What are the beliefs of each of these groups? How do these cults exploit their members?
Essay Topic 2
What are Reverend Matt Jamison’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in The Leftovers? Why did Reverend Jamison leave his church? What are the subjects of the newsletters he produces? Why does he produce them?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nora Durst abandon Kevin at the restaurant on Valentine’s Day? What have Kevin and Nora discussed just prior to her leaving? Why did this conversation give Nora grief?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)