|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie's biggest advantage while in the car with Rose?
2. Why do the people who find Charlie in the cave fear him?
3. What does Rose not do that allows Charlie to escape?
4. What is strange when Charlie tries to call his mother?
5. Why doesn't Charlie want to call the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane do as Charlie gets ready to leave?
2. What does Charlie choose to do when he wakes up in the cave, and why?
3. Why does Rose say he dislikes Charlie?
4. What does Jane say is special about her door?
5. What kind of evidence does Rose say was used to convict Charlie?
6. What does Charlie realize when he hears Yarrow's name?
7. What wakes Charlie up on the bus?
8. How does Charlie earn the trust of Angeline's mother?
9. What does Charlie realize when he looks at a newspaper?
10. Why does Charlie leave the homeless shelter so fast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie and Alex are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Charlie makes some very daring escapes in this books. How does he make these escapes, and what are the results of each of them?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)