|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie feel a surge of as he goes through the black square?
2. What does Alex tell his friends about Charlie?
3. What is Charlie's last name?
4. Where does Charlie go to hide from Hunter?
5. What kind of car does Charlie's mother drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie hear men talking about near the sinkhole?
2. How does Charlie get free from the chair he is strapped to?
3. Why does Charlie get nervous about the demonstration he is to give at school?
4. What did Charlie do at lunch time that was a first for him?
5. Why is Charlie so disappointed when he comes to the sinkhole?
6. What kind of evidence does Rose say was used to convict Charlie?
7. What is Charlie accused of at Angeline's house?
8. How does Charlie save Yarrow?
9. What happens in the alley by the warehouse?
10. What obstacles stand in the way of Charlie's hopes for his future?
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Charlie and Alex are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)