|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Charlie on a high during his classes after the demonstration?
2. What does Charlie think about as he is running down the hall?
3. What is Josh's last name?
4. What startles Charlie as he goes through the black square?
5. Why did Charlie's best friend have to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mike respond to the secret Charlie tells him?
2. What is a kata?
3. What obstacles stand in the way of Charlie's hopes for his future?
4. Why does Charlie get nervous about the demonstration he is to give at school?
5. What is Charlie's plan once he frees himself from the chair?
6. How did Charlie's demonstration get off to a bad start?
7. What unpleasant surprise did Charlie find after leaving the dojo on the last day he remembers?
8. How do the men in the strange room plan to kill Charlie?
9. What can't Charlie remember when he wakes up at the beginning of the book?
10. Why does Charlie take the key from the ignition of the crashed truck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Yarrow and what was his role in this narrative?
Essay Topic 3
What evidence was used against Charlie in the trial, and how does he respond when he learns of this evidence?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)