|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the towel next to Charlie at the beginning of the book soaked in?
2. What does Charlie feel a surge of as he goes through the black square?
3. How does Charlie describe his feelings after the demonstration?
4. Who introduced Charlie at his demonstration?
5. Who gave Charlie the card he always has with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie so disappointed when he comes to the sinkhole?
2. What did Charlie worry about at the end of his demonstration?
3. How did Charlie's demonstration get off to a bad start?
4. What is Charlie's plan once he frees himself from the chair?
5. What does Charlie hear voices say at the beginning of the book?
6. What obstacles stand in the way of Charlie's hopes for his future?
7. What does Charlie see when he wakes up at the beginning of the book?
8. What warning does Alex give Charlie before he leaves the car?
9. What is the Churchill Card?
10. What happened at lunch to shock Rick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and creatures were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)