|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had to quiet before Charlie could begin his demonstration?
2. Why does Alex stop the fight brewing between his friends and Charlie?
3. Why does Charlie say Alex's judgments aren't clear?
4. What ethnicity are the men near the black square?
5. What does Alex say Charlie relies on for strength?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Alex give Charlie before he leaves the car?
2. What does Charlie hear voices say at the beginning of the book?
3. What caused a major change in Alex?
4. Why does Charlie take the key from the ignition of the crashed truck?
5. What does Charlie hear men talking about near the sinkhole?
6. How did Charlie prepare to perform his demonstration?
7. What is the Churchill Card?
8. What did Charlie do at lunch time that was a first for him?
9. What did Charlie worry about at the end of his demonstration?
10. How does Charlie handle the conflict with Alex's friends outside the dojo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie and Alex are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Hypocrisy was an attribute that was highlighted in this book. Where did hypocrisy appear, and how did the inclusion of this attribute affect Charlie throughout the book?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)