|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many concrete blocks were part of the demonstration?
2. Where is Sensei Mike from?
3. What does Charlie feel a surge of as he goes through the black square?
4. What is Charlie running for at the end of the hallway as he escapes?
5. Why does Alex stop the fight brewing between his friends and Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie get free from the chair he is strapped to?
2. How does Charlie handle the conflict with Alex's friends outside the dojo?
3. What is a kata?
4. How did Charlie's demonstration get off to a bad start?
5. Why is Charlie so disappointed when he comes to the sinkhole?
6. What warning does Alex give his friends about Charlie?
7. What unpleasant surprise did Charlie find after leaving the dojo on the last day he remembers?
8. What did Charlie worry about at the end of his demonstration?
9. What is the Churchill Card?
10. What did Beth do the last time Charlie saw her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Yarrow and what was his role in this narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of politics led to the problems and conflicts in this book, and how were they resolved?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)