|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex say Charlie relies on for strength?
2. What is Hunter?
3. What words comfort Charlie at the beginning of the book?
4. Why does Alex stop the fight brewing between his friends and Charlie?
5. How did Beth act after Charlie broke the bricks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unpleasant surprise did Charlie find after leaving the dojo on the last day he remembers?
2. How does Charlie handle the conflict with Alex's friends outside the dojo?
3. What does Charlie see when he wakes up at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Charlie thinking about just after the truck crash?
5. What happened at lunch to shock Rick?
6. Why does Charlie take the key from the ignition of the crashed truck?
7. Why does Charlie get nervous about the demonstration he is to give at school?
8. What is the Churchill Card?
9. What caused a major change in Alex?
10. Why is Charlie so disappointed when he comes to the sinkhole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)