|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Charlie when he tries to call his mother?
(a) A car.
(b) A phone booth.
(c) The post office.
(d) Angeline's house.
2. Where is the woman who Charlie saved in the alley hiding?
(a) Another alley.
(b) Under a garage door.
(c) Behind a box.
(d) A doorway.
3. What is the biggest shock to Charlie when he sees a newspaper?
(a) He can't read.
(b) The year.
(c) His face on the front page.
(d) The news of the war.
4. Why is the woman in the alley not afraid of Charlie?
(a) He is young.
(b) She has seen him before.
(c) She can read his mind.
(d) He saved her.
5. What does Charlie use as a pillow in the hideaway in the woman's house?
(a) Cat skin.
(b) Old cans.
(c) A blanket.
6. Why doesn't Charlie want to call the police?
(a) There is so much he can't explain.
(b) He doesn't know what happened to him.
(c) They won't believe him.
(d) He thinks he is in trouble.
7. What is Charlie strapped to in his jumpsuit?
(a) A table.
(b) A wall.
(c) A board.
(d) A chair.
8. How does Charlie describe the woman he saved in the alley?
(a) Small and dirty.
(b) Strange and familiar.
(c) Smelly and large.
(d) Tall and gorgeous.
9. What does Charlie tell the person he calls when he gets off the bus?
(a) He needs help.
(b) He is innocent.
(c) He will probably die.
(d) He is doing the right thing.
10. Where does Charlie learn more about Yarrow's travel plans?
(a) A hotel lobby.
(b) A store.
(c) A diner.
(d) A cafeteria.
11. What does the woman in the alley promise to do for Charlie?
(a) Love him.
(b) Pay him.
(c) Protect him.
(d) Hide him.
12. Why do the people who find Charlie in the cave fear him?
(a) He is dirty.
(b) He has a gun.
(c) He is covered in blood.
(d) He is in a prisoner's outfit.
13. Why is Charlie so surprised when he hears where he is when he gets out of the cave?
(a) It is near his home.
(b) He has never heard of it.
(c) It is on the other side of the state.
(d) His mother is from there.
14. How does the woman in the alley make money?
(a) She is a prostitute.
(b) She collects cans.
(c) She picks pockets.
(d) She sells newspapers.
15. What happens in Charlie's mind as he begins his escape from Rose?
(a) He sees two steps ahead.
(b) Time slows down.
(c) His head hurts.
(d) Time speeds up.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the woman in the alley know who Charlie is?
2. What kind of car does Angeline's mother drive?
3. What kind of animal does the woman in the alley have?
4. Who is waiting for Charlie at the bridge?
5. What surprises Charlie when he sees the group waiting to talk to him as Rose takes him away?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)