|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When confronted by Ronnie in Chapter 12, Blaze tells her she won't help her for fear of whom?
2. What does Ronnie see Marcus playing with on the beach in Chapter 14?
3. Who is Marcus's girlfriend in the novel?
4. As Ronnie prepares for bed in Chapter 12, she sees what approaching the turtle nest?
5. In Chapter 17, Ronnie wakes to find her father outside speaking with Pastor Harris and whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ronnie's reaction to her father's lack of punishment for her arrest in Chapter 11? Why?
2. What inconsistencies can be seen in Ronnie's feelings about her father between the Prologue and Chapter 1? What does this foreshadow?
3. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
4. What argument do Will and Scott get into in the beginning of Chapter 5? Why?
5. Where does Ronnie have an encounter with Blaze in Chapter 10? What happens as a result?
6. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
7. What happens at the party Ronnie attends in Chapter 10? What worries her about the events?
8. Where does Ronnie wake up in Chapter 12? Who approaches her?
9. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
10. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Will's family history. How does the wealth of Will's family differ from that of the other characters? How is Will's house described in the narrative? How does Ronnie interact with each of Will's parents? What causes her intimidation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of Steve's cancer on his family. Why did Steve choose to hide his illness? What are Ronnie's and Jonah's reactions upon hearing their father is dying? What kind of cancer does Steve have? Where has the cancer spread? Why are there no treatment options to help Steve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of trust in the novel. How does Ronnie's distrust give way to trust, and what does this mean regarding her character arc? What moral lesson in trust does Ronnie learn through the character of Ashley? How does Will serve to develop Ronnie's trust?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)