|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ronnie calls Steve to pick her up where in Chapter 11?
2. What does Ronnie try to get Blaze to do when she finds her in Chapter 12?
3. Who does Ronnie run into when she leaves the house in Chapter 6?
4. Whose funeral is Ronnie preparing to attend in the Prologue?
5. What is Steve making for the church that was damaged in a fire the previous spring in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
2. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
3. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
4. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
5. Where does Ronnie wake up in Chapter 12? Who approaches her?
6. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
7. What lesson in trust does Ronnie learn in Chapter 14?
8. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
9. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
10. What is Ronnie's reaction to her father's lack of punishment for her arrest in Chapter 11? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the relationship between Marcus and Blaze in "The Last Song". How did Blaze and Marcus meet? In what ways does Marcus appear to use Blaze? What is foreshadowed by Marcus' obvious interest in Ronnie?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of the novel, identifying and discussing the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where does the novel return to in Chapter 37? What is the effect of this return to the beginning on the reader? What peace does Steve make before dying?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)