|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before she leaves in Chapter 10, Ronnie hears her father playing some music she once played where?
2. Where does Ronnie insist on sleeping in Chapter 11?
3. What does Ronnie try to get Blaze to do when she finds her in Chapter 12?
4. Steve's friend who is also what insists on going to get Ronnie in Chapter 5?
5. What is the name of Will's ex-girlfriend in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the party Ronnie attends in Chapter 10? What worries her about the events?
2. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
3. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
4. How has Steve's abandonment affected Ronnie? How is this seen in Chapter 1?
5. What foreshadowing is revealed in the Prologue? How is the end of the novel set up from this first opening?
6. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
7. What does Steve contemplate as he waits for Ronnie in Chapter 9?
8. How are Marcus' feelings for Ronnie described in Chapter 4? What actions does he take in the chapter?
9. How is the relationship between Blaze and Marcus defined in the novel? What is unhealthy about it?
10. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Will's family history. How does the wealth of Will's family differ from that of the other characters? How is Will's house described in the narrative? How does Ronnie interact with each of Will's parents? What causes her intimidation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the symbolism of the hatching turtles, and the impending departure of Will in Chapter 29. How are these two events related metaphorically? How is the extent of Steve's illness revealed in this chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify conflict in narrative literature and the novel. What is internal conflict and how does it differ from external conflict? What does Ronnie struggle with internally in the novel? How does this conflict drive her actions in Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)