|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the inherent incompatibility between the objectives of two or more characters or forces in literature?
2. Ronnie calls Steve to pick her up where in Chapter 11?
3. Will takes Ronnie to the aquarium to see what in Chapter 13?
4. What is Steve making for the church that was damaged in a fire the previous spring in the novel?
5. What does Ronnie tell her father she never wants to see or hear again in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
2. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
3. How is the relationship between Blaze and Marcus defined in the novel? What is unhealthy about it?
4. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
5. What is Ronnie's reaction to her father's lack of punishment for her arrest in Chapter 11? Why?
6. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
7. What foreshadowing is revealed in the Prologue? How is the end of the novel set up from this first opening?
8. Where does Ronnie wake up in Chapter 12? Who approaches her?
9. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
10. Where does Ronnie go in Chapter 3? What happens as she watches a volleyball game there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Will's family history. How does the wealth of Will's family differ from that of the other characters? How is Will's house described in the narrative? How does Ronnie interact with each of Will's parents? What causes her intimidation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the internal and external conflicts in Chapter 26. Why does Marcus cause a fight at the wedding? What is the outcome? Why does Ronnie choose to end her relationship with Will in the chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Ronnie's history as a piano prodigy. How is music something shared by Ronnie and her father? What does music represent to Ronnie? How is it symbolic that Ronnie is set up for stealing music from the music store?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)