|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ronnie's father's name?
2. Whose funeral is Ronnie preparing to attend in the Prologue?
3. Who does Ronnie meet that seems somewhat frightening in his intensity and his sudden interest in her in Chapter 3?
4. Ronnie breaks up a fight at the snack bar when she notices what in Chapter 5?
5. What is taking place at the beach when Ronnie arrives in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
2. What inconsistencies can be seen in Ronnie's feelings about her father between the Prologue and Chapter 1? What does this foreshadow?
3. How is the relationship between Blaze and Marcus defined in the novel? What is unhealthy about it?
4. How has Steve's abandonment affected Ronnie? How is this seen in Chapter 1?
5. What confrontation does Ronnie have with Will in Chapter 13? What is Will's response?
6. What main characters are established in the Prologue? What is the protagonist preparing to do?
7. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
8. What actions does Marcus take when Blaze and Ronnie are eating at a diner in Chapter 8?
9. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
10. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of trust in the novel. How does Ronnie's distrust give way to trust, and what does this mean regarding her character arc? What moral lesson in trust does Ronnie learn through the character of Ashley? How does Will serve to develop Ronnie's trust?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the relationship between Marcus and Blaze in "The Last Song". How did Blaze and Marcus meet? In what ways does Marcus appear to use Blaze? What is foreshadowed by Marcus' obvious interest in Ronnie?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the narrative voice in "The Last Song" and the element of foreshadowing in the Prologue. What does the reader know from the beginning? From whose perspective is the story related? Is the point of view omniscient or limited? What impact does this style have on the reader?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)