|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Prologue, Ronnie thinks of when it all began and shows her mother a news article about what?
2. In Chapter 1, Ronnie has not spoken to her father in how long?
3. What does Steve do as he waits up for Ronnie in Chapter 9?
4. Where does Ronnie find her friend in Chapter 10?
5. To what local hangout does Ronnie go with Marcus and Blaze in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
2. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
3. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
4. What foreshadowing is revealed in the Prologue? How is the end of the novel set up from this first opening?
5. What happens when a police officer comes to take Ronnie home in Chapter 6?
6. What inconsistencies can be seen in Ronnie's feelings about her father between the Prologue and Chapter 1? What does this foreshadow?
7. How has Steve's abandonment affected Ronnie? How is this seen in Chapter 1?
8. Where does Ronnie go in Chapter 3? What happens as she watches a volleyball game there?
9. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
10. What conversation do Ronnie and Blaze have in Chapter 12? How does Ronnie feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the symbolism of the hatching turtles, and the impending departure of Will in Chapter 29. How are these two events related metaphorically? How is the extent of Steve's illness revealed in this chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Steve's window and the theme of forgiveness in the narrative. Why does Steve encourage Ronnie to forgive Will? What does the window represent metaphorically? How does the symbolism of the window tie into the theme of forgiveness in "The Last Song"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Ronnie. How old is Ronnie as the novel begins? Where is she going, and how does she feel about her father? What is Ronnie's history in New York, and what legal problems does she have there?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)