|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marcus insists on sitting next to whom when he arrives in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 8, Ronnie takes Blaze where?
3. Where does Ronnie live with her mother?
4. Ronnie calls Steve to pick her up where in Chapter 11?
5. Where did Steve teach for many years before relocating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
2. What did Blaze tell the district attorney about Marcus in Chapter 35? What does this mean?
3. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
4. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
5. Who does Ronnie encounter and thank at her father's funeral in Chapter 37? Why?
6. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
7. Why does Ronnie refuse Will's offer to stay in Chapter 32? What do they discover Jonah doing?
8. What happens at the party Ronnie attends in Chapter 10? What worries her about the events?
9. What does Ronnie realize about her father as his health grows worse in Chapter 35? What does she decide to give him as a gift?
10. Who comes to the aid of Ronnie and Jonah while their father is in the hospital in Chapter 31? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the symbolism of the hatching turtles, and the impending departure of Will in Chapter 29. How are these two events related metaphorically? How is the extent of Steve's illness revealed in this chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
This section contains 1,692 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)