|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Will approaches Ronnie on the beach in Chapter 12, and says he is there working as a volunteer for what?
2. What does Blaze slip into Ronnie's bag before leaving in Chapter 10?
3. Where does Ronnie live with her mother?
4. What is the name of Will's ex-girlfriend in the novel?
5. Who cannot stop thinking about Ronnie in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ronnie refuse Will's offer to stay in Chapter 32? What do they discover Jonah doing?
2. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
3. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
4. Who does Ronnie encounter and thank at her father's funeral in Chapter 37? Why?
5. What are Steve and Ronnie's days like in September and October? What good news does Blaze relate in Chapter 35?
6. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
7. When does the narrator say Steve learned he was dying in Chapter 30? How did he choose to live his final moments?
8. How are Marcus' feelings for Ronnie described in Chapter 4? What actions does he take in the chapter?
9. What plan does Marcus develop in Chapter 27? What is his objective?
10. What does Will do after leaving the hospital in Chapter 28? What confrontations does he have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of coastal North Carolina, and discuss and analyze the characters of Blaze, Marcus and Will in the narrative. How does Ronnie meet these characters? What are Ronnie's first impressions of each character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the relationship between Marcus and Blaze in "The Last Song". How did Blaze and Marcus meet? In what ways does Marcus appear to use Blaze? What is foreshadowed by Marcus' obvious interest in Ronnie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)