|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
2. Steve's friend who is also what insists on going to get Ronnie in Chapter 5?
3. Steve shows Ronnie what on the beach in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 8, Ronnie takes Blaze where?
5. What does Ronnie tell her father she never wants to see or hear again in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
2. How does the relationship between Will and Ronnie progress in Chapter 13? Where does he take her on their day together?
3. Where does Ronnie wake up in Chapter 12? Who approaches her?
4. What foreshadowing is revealed in the Prologue? How is the end of the novel set up from this first opening?
5. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
6. Where does Ronnie go in Chapter 3? What happens as she watches a volleyball game there?
7. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
8. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
9. Where does Ronnie have an encounter with Blaze in Chapter 10? What happens as a result?
10. How are Marcus' feelings for Ronnie described in Chapter 4? What actions does he take in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the symbolism of the hatching turtles, and the impending departure of Will in Chapter 29. How are these two events related metaphorically? How is the extent of Steve's illness revealed in this chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Ronnie's history as a piano prodigy. How is music something shared by Ronnie and her father? What does music represent to Ronnie? How is it symbolic that Ronnie is set up for stealing music from the music store?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the internal and external conflicts in Chapter 26. Why does Marcus cause a fight at the wedding? What is the outcome? Why does Ronnie choose to end her relationship with Will in the chapter?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)