|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marcus invites Ronnie where before leaving in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 1, Ronnie has not spoken to her father in how long?
3. As Ronnie prepares for bed in Chapter 12, she sees what approaching the turtle nest?
4. What is taking place at the beach when Ronnie arrives in Chapter 3?
5. What refers to a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
2. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
3. What main characters are established in the Prologue? What is the protagonist preparing to do?
4. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
5. Where does Ronnie have an encounter with Blaze in Chapter 10? What happens as a result?
6. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
7. How has Steve's abandonment affected Ronnie? How is this seen in Chapter 1?
8. Where does Ronnie go in Chapter 3? What happens as she watches a volleyball game there?
9. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
10. What argument do Will and Scott get into in the beginning of Chapter 5? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative voice in "The Last Song" and the element of foreshadowing in the Prologue. What does the reader know from the beginning? From whose perspective is the story related? Is the point of view omniscient or limited? What impact does this style have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Steve's window and the theme of forgiveness in the narrative. Why does Steve encourage Ronnie to forgive Will? What does the window represent metaphorically? How does the symbolism of the window tie into the theme of forgiveness in "The Last Song"?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)