|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cage that Will describes coming the following day is to protect from what, in Chapter 12?
2. Ronnie breaks up a fight at the snack bar when she notices what in Chapter 5?
3. Will's friend becomes upset when Will turns down a date with his ex-girlfriend in Chapter 5, because it means who will not go out then?
4. What does Blaze slip into Ronnie's bag before leaving in Chapter 10?
5. What does Ronnie try to get Blaze to do when she finds her in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
2. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
3. What is Ronnie's reaction to her father's lack of punishment for her arrest in Chapter 11? Why?
4. How are Marcus' feelings for Ronnie described in Chapter 4? What actions does he take in the chapter?
5. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
6. What main characters are established in the Prologue? What is the protagonist preparing to do?
7. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
8. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
9. How does the relationship between Will and Ronnie progress in Chapter 13? Where does he take her on their day together?
10. Where does Ronnie have an encounter with Blaze in Chapter 10? What happens as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss childhood development and emotional detachment as they apply to the novel. How are Steve's parents described in the narrative, and what effect did they have on him? What did Steve struggle with in his marriage to Kim? How is childhood development and detachment applicable to Ronnie and Jonah?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Steve's window and the theme of forgiveness in the narrative. Why does Steve encourage Ronnie to forgive Will? What does the window represent metaphorically? How does the symbolism of the window tie into the theme of forgiveness in "The Last Song"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)