|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ronnie run into when she leaves the house in Chapter 6?
2. What refers to a broad idea, message, or moral of a story in literature?
3. In the Prologue, Ronnie thinks of when it all began and shows her mother a news article about what?
4. Ronnie tells Blaze about what problems in Chapter 8?
5. What do Steve and Jonah go to do at the beach in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Will and Ronnie progress in Chapter 13? Where does he take her on their day together?
2. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
3. How are Marcus' feelings for Ronnie described in Chapter 4? What actions does he take in the chapter?
4. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
5. What actions does Marcus take when Blaze and Ronnie are eating at a diner in Chapter 8?
6. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
7. Where does Ronnie go in Chapter 3? What happens as she watches a volleyball game there?
8. What conversation do Ronnie and Blaze have in Chapter 12? How does Ronnie feel about it?
9. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
10. What does Steve contemplate as he waits for Ronnie in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the elements of religious allusion in the novel. What is the significance of Pastor Harris' church? How does Ronnie feel about Christianity and God? What amends does Steve hope to attain with God? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Steve's window and the theme of forgiveness in the narrative. Why does Steve encourage Ronnie to forgive Will? What does the window represent metaphorically? How does the symbolism of the window tie into the theme of forgiveness in "The Last Song"?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)