|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marcus insists on sitting next to whom when he arrives in Chapter 8?
2. Steve shows Ronnie what on the beach in Chapter 11?
3. What does Ronnie begin to do when she arrives home in Chapter 14?
4. Marcus and his friends steal all of whose food in Chapter 8?
5. Kim once told a marriage counselor that it was what that left Steve unable to share his feelings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
2. What actions does Marcus take when Blaze and Ronnie are eating at a diner in Chapter 8?
3. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
4. What argument do Will and Scott get into in the beginning of Chapter 5? Why?
5. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
6. Where does Ronnie have an encounter with Blaze in Chapter 10? What happens as a result?
7. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
8. What inconsistencies can be seen in Ronnie's feelings about her father between the Prologue and Chapter 1? What does this foreshadow?
9. What happens at the party Ronnie attends in Chapter 10? What worries her about the events?
10. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of coastal North Carolina, and discuss and analyze the characters of Blaze, Marcus and Will in the narrative. How does Ronnie meet these characters? What are Ronnie's first impressions of each character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the internal and external conflicts in Chapter 26. Why does Marcus cause a fight at the wedding? What is the outcome? Why does Ronnie choose to end her relationship with Will in the chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)