|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Steve thinks of whose death in Chapter 9?
2. What is taking place at the beach when Ronnie arrives in Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of Will's ex-girlfriend in the novel?
4. Ronnie learns that who is Will's ex-girlfriend in Chapter 14?
5. Who comes up to Ronnie and tells her that Will is a serial dater in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steve contemplate as he waits for Ronnie in Chapter 9?
2. How are Marcus' feelings for Ronnie described in Chapter 4? What actions does he take in the chapter?
3. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
4. What is Ronnie's reaction to her father's lack of punishment for her arrest in Chapter 11? Why?
5. What foreshadowing is revealed in the Prologue? How is the end of the novel set up from this first opening?
6. What happens at the party Ronnie attends in Chapter 10? What worries her about the events?
7. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
8. What confrontation does Ronnie have with Will in Chapter 13? What is Will's response?
9. Where does Ronnie have an encounter with Blaze in Chapter 10? What happens as a result?
10. How has Steve's abandonment affected Ronnie? How is this seen in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the internal and external conflicts in Chapter 26. Why does Marcus cause a fight at the wedding? What is the outcome? Why does Ronnie choose to end her relationship with Will in the chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the symbolism of the hatching turtles, and the impending departure of Will in Chapter 29. How are these two events related metaphorically? How is the extent of Steve's illness revealed in this chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss childhood development and emotional detachment as they apply to the novel. How are Steve's parents described in the narrative, and what effect did they have on him? What did Steve struggle with in his marriage to Kim? How is childhood development and detachment applicable to Ronnie and Jonah?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)