|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ronnie in the beginning of the story?
2. What does Blaze slip into Ronnie's bag before leaving in Chapter 10?
3. Ronnie calls Steve to pick her up where in Chapter 11?
4. What does Ronnie tell her father she never wants to see or hear again in Chapter 10?
5. What is taking place at the beach when Ronnie arrives in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Steve's abandonment affected Ronnie? How is this seen in Chapter 1?
2. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
3. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
4. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
5. What foreshadowing is revealed in the Prologue? How is the end of the novel set up from this first opening?
6. How does the relationship between Will and Ronnie progress in Chapter 13? Where does he take her on their day together?
7. How is the relationship between Blaze and Marcus defined in the novel? What is unhealthy about it?
8. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
9. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
10. What happens when a police officer comes to take Ronnie home in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Steve and Jonah in the novel. How old is Jonah? What is his reaction upon seeing his father? How old were Jonah and Ronnie when their father abandoned the family? How did the abandonment affect Ronnie and Jonah differently and why?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify conflict in narrative literature and the novel. What is internal conflict and how does it differ from external conflict? What does Ronnie struggle with internally in the novel? How does this conflict drive her actions in Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)