|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marcus's girlfriend in the novel?
2. To what local hangout does Ronnie go with Marcus and Blaze in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 17, Ronnie wakes to find her father outside speaking with Pastor Harris and whom?
4. Who does Ronnie go looking for the next morning after the party in Chapter 10?
5. What does Steve do as he waits for his ex-wife to arrive in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
2. What happens when a police officer comes to take Ronnie home in Chapter 6?
3. Where does Ronnie go in Chapter 3? What happens as she watches a volleyball game there?
4. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
5. What conversation do Ronnie and Blaze have in Chapter 12? How does Ronnie feel about it?
6. What actions does Marcus take when Blaze and Ronnie are eating at a diner in Chapter 8?
7. How has Steve's abandonment affected Ronnie? How is this seen in Chapter 1?
8. What inconsistencies can be seen in Ronnie's feelings about her father between the Prologue and Chapter 1? What does this foreshadow?
9. What argument do Will and Scott get into in the beginning of Chapter 5? Why?
10. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of Steve's window and the theme of forgiveness in the narrative. Why does Steve encourage Ronnie to forgive Will? What does the window represent metaphorically? How does the symbolism of the window tie into the theme of forgiveness in "The Last Song"?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify conflict in narrative literature and the novel. What is internal conflict and how does it differ from external conflict? What does Ronnie struggle with internally in the novel? How does this conflict drive her actions in Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Ronnie's history as a piano prodigy. How is music something shared by Ronnie and her father? What does music represent to Ronnie? How is it symbolic that Ronnie is set up for stealing music from the music store?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)