|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Steve teach for many years before relocating?
2. What is the name of Will's childhood best friend in the novel?
3. Ronnie calls Steve to pick her up where in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Ronnie insist on sleeping in Chapter 11?
5. What does Ronnie tell her father she never wants to see or hear again in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steve contemplate as he waits for Ronnie in Chapter 9?
2. What plan does Marcus develop in Chapter 27? What is his objective?
3. What conversation do Ronnie and Blaze have in Chapter 12? How does Ronnie feel about it?
4. What foreshadowing is revealed in the Prologue? How is the end of the novel set up from this first opening?
5. Where does Ronnie have an encounter with Blaze in Chapter 10? What happens as a result?
6. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
7. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
8. Where is Ronnie in the Epilogue? What does Will reveal to her on the phone?
9. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
10. How are Marcus' feelings for Ronnie described in Chapter 4? What actions does he take in the chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the plot structure of the novel, identifying and discussing the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where does the novel return to in Chapter 37? What is the effect of this return to the beginning on the reader? What peace does Steve make before dying?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Steve's window and the theme of forgiveness in the narrative. Why does Steve encourage Ronnie to forgive Will? What does the window represent metaphorically? How does the symbolism of the window tie into the theme of forgiveness in "The Last Song"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Will's family history. How does the wealth of Will's family differ from that of the other characters? How is Will's house described in the narrative? How does Ronnie interact with each of Will's parents? What causes her intimidation?
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)