|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what local hangout does Ronnie go with Marcus and Blaze in Chapter 5?
2. Marcus and his friends steal all of whose food in Chapter 8?
3. When confronted by Ronnie in Chapter 12, Blaze tells her she won't help her for fear of whom?
4. Who cannot stop thinking about Ronnie in Chapter 7?
5. Where does Will work in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
2. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
3. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
4. How is the relationship between Blaze and Marcus defined in the novel? What is unhealthy about it?
5. What foreshadowing is revealed in the Prologue? How is the end of the novel set up from this first opening?
6. What lesson in trust does Ronnie learn in Chapter 14?
7. Where does Ronnie wake up in Chapter 12? Who approaches her?
8. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
9. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
10. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify conflict in narrative literature and the novel. What is internal conflict and how does it differ from external conflict? What does Ronnie struggle with internally in the novel? How does this conflict drive her actions in Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the developing relationship between Ronnie and Will in the narrative. How compatible are Ronnie and Will as a couple? What similarities do they share in temperament and in interests? How do they differ?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)