|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cannot stop thinking about Ronnie in Chapter 7?
2. Who comes up to Ronnie and tells her that Will is a serial dater in Chapter 14?
3. What does Ronnie tell her father she never wants to see or hear again in Chapter 10?
4. What is Ronnie's mother's name?
5. When Marcus hits on Ronnie in Chapter 3, she brushes him off and goes to join whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
2. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
3. What conversation do Ronnie and Blaze have in Chapter 12? How does Ronnie feel about it?
4. What confrontation does Ronnie have with Will in Chapter 13? What is Will's response?
5. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
6. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
7. What actions does Marcus take when Blaze and Ronnie are eating at a diner in Chapter 8?
8. How is the relationship between Blaze and Marcus defined in the novel? What is unhealthy about it?
9. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
10. Where does Ronnie go in Chapter 3? What happens as she watches a volleyball game there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of coastal North Carolina, and discuss and analyze the characters of Blaze, Marcus and Will in the narrative. How does Ronnie meet these characters? What are Ronnie's first impressions of each character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Ronnie's history as a piano prodigy. How is music something shared by Ronnie and her father? What does music represent to Ronnie? How is it symbolic that Ronnie is set up for stealing music from the music store?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)