|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Will approaches Ronnie on the beach in Chapter 12, and says he is there working as a volunteer for what?
2. Where does Ronnie insist on sleeping in Chapter 11?
3. What does Ronnie see Marcus playing with on the beach in Chapter 14?
4. In Chapter 11, Steve and Jonah spend the day putting up a barrier in front of what in the house?
5. What is Ronnie's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a police officer comes to take Ronnie home in Chapter 6?
2. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
3. Where does Ronnie wake up in Chapter 12? Who approaches her?
4. What lesson in trust does Ronnie learn in Chapter 14?
5. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
6. What is Ronnie's reaction to her father's lack of punishment for her arrest in Chapter 11? Why?
7. How does the relationship between Will and Ronnie progress in Chapter 13? Where does he take her on their day together?
8. How is the relationship between Blaze and Marcus defined in the novel? What is unhealthy about it?
9. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
10. Where does Ronnie wish she were spending the summer in Chapter 1? What limitations prevent her from doing so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of trust in the novel. How does Ronnie's distrust give way to trust, and what does this mean regarding her character arc? What moral lesson in trust does Ronnie learn through the character of Ashley? How does Will serve to develop Ronnie's trust?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the internal and external conflicts in Chapter 26. Why does Marcus cause a fight at the wedding? What is the outcome? Why does Ronnie choose to end her relationship with Will in the chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of Steve's cancer on his family. Why did Steve choose to hide his illness? What are Ronnie's and Jonah's reactions upon hearing their father is dying? What kind of cancer does Steve have? Where has the cancer spread? Why are there no treatment options to help Steve?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)