|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Steve spend the day with in Chapter 9?
2. What does Ronnie tell her father she never wants to see or hear again in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 17, Ronnie wakes to find her father outside speaking with Pastor Harris and whom?
4. Where did Steve teach for many years before relocating?
5. In the Prologue, Ronnie thinks of when it all began and shows her mother a news article about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
2. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
3. What is Ronnie's reaction to her father's lack of punishment for her arrest in Chapter 11? Why?
4. What inconsistencies can be seen in Ronnie's feelings about her father between the Prologue and Chapter 1? What does this foreshadow?
5. How is the relationship between Blaze and Marcus defined in the novel? What is unhealthy about it?
6. What confrontation does Ronnie have with Will in Chapter 13? What is Will's response?
7. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
8. Where is Ronnie going to stay with her father in Chapter 1? How is Ronnie's relationship with her father described?
9. Where does Ronnie wake up in Chapter 12? Who approaches her?
10. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Ronnie's history as a piano prodigy. How is music something shared by Ronnie and her father? What does music represent to Ronnie? How is it symbolic that Ronnie is set up for stealing music from the music store?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify conflict in narrative literature and the novel. What is internal conflict and how does it differ from external conflict? What does Ronnie struggle with internally in the novel? How does this conflict drive her actions in Chapter 5?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)