Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ronnie learns that who is Will's ex-girlfriend in Chapter 14?
2. Kim once told a marriage counselor that it was what that left Steve unable to share his feelings?
3. What is the name of Will's ex-girlfriend in the novel?
4. Who does Ronnie meet that seems somewhat frightening in his intensity and his sudden interest in her in Chapter 3?
5. In the Prologue, Ronnie thinks of when it all began and shows her mother a news article about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fight breaks out in Chapter 5? Who begins it and who ends it?
2. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
3. What are the first days alone at her father's like in Chapter 35?
4. How does Ronnie feel upon departing the wedding in Chapter 26? What actions does she take?
5. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
6. What does Ronnie do after leaving the volleyball game in Chapter 3? Who does she meet?
7. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
8. What causes the tension between Will and Ronnie in Chapter 29? What helps to ease the tension?
9. How does Steve feel about his daughter? What efforts does he make in order to ensure her happiness in the novel?
10. Why does Ronnie refuse Will's offer to stay in Chapter 32? What do they discover Jonah doing?
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify conflict in narrative literature and the novel. What is internal conflict and how does it differ from external conflict? What does Ronnie struggle with internally in the novel? How does this conflict drive her actions in Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)