|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl who runs into Ronnie on the beach in Chapter 3?
2. Who overhears and tells Ronnie's dad where she has gone in Chapter 5?
3. Ronnie has had some legal problems in her hometown because of what in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 11, Steve and Jonah spend the day putting up a barrier in front of what in the house?
5. What does Steve say when he hears Ronnie's story about what happened in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation do Ronnie and Blaze have in Chapter 12? How does Ronnie feel about it?
2. What is revealed about Blaze and her parents in Chapter 8? How does this relate to Ronnie's situation?
3. Where does Ronnie wake up in Chapter 12? Who approaches her?
4. What does Steve do as he awaits the arrival of his children in Chapter 2? How does he feel about seeing them?
5. What does Steve do with Jonah before Ronnie calls in Chapter 11? What is his response to her arrest?
6. What attracts Ronnie to Blaze in the novel? What does this reveal about Ronnie's character?
7. Where does Ronnie have an encounter with Blaze in Chapter 10? What happens as a result?
8. What argument do Will and Scott get into in the beginning of Chapter 5? Why?
9. What does Steve contemplate as he waits for Ronnie in Chapter 9?
10. What confrontation does Ronnie have with Will in Chapter 13? What is Will's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of Steve's cancer on his family. Why did Steve choose to hide his illness? What are Ronnie's and Jonah's reactions upon hearing their father is dying? What kind of cancer does Steve have? Where has the cancer spread? Why are there no treatment options to help Steve?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)