|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man of the house next to Rocio's work on during every spare moment that he has?
(a) Cleaning his garage.
(b) His lawn.
(c) Repairing his house.
(d) His car.
2. What does the ashtray with cigarette butts that Nieves keeps on a shelf close to the table supposed to signify?
(a) The last time that Nieves lit up a cigarette.
(b) Smoking kills.
(c) The last time that Rocio and Mercy's father visited them.
(d) Do not smoke in this house.
3. Ultimately, where do Rocio's dreams take her?
(a) To the universe.
(b) To the planet Jupiter.
(c) To the moon.
(d) To the sun.
4. What was the occasion for the young man whom Rocio secretly admires to visit her home?
(a) A Christmas celebration.
(b) A Halloween party.
(c) A Valentine's Day party.
(d) A Fourth of July celebration.
5. What type of level is determined and assigned to the residents of Rocio's street, depending on the location of certain trees?
6. What type of dessert is served as part of the Esquibel's family Christmas dinner?
(a) Baked Alaska.
(c) Apple pie.
7. What is the main course at the Esquibel's family Christmas dinner?
(a) Roast leg of lamb.
(b) Roast turkey.
(c) Roast chicken.
(d) Pot roast.
8. Which of the following trees on Rocio's tree is considered to have the most character?
9. Which of the following events largely contributes toward enriching the cultural mix in Rocio's neighborhood?
(a) The Annual Multi-Cultural Festival.
(b) African-American and Latino families living together.
(c) The Annual Fourth of July Celebration.
(d) Latino and Anglo families living together.
10. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
(a) A play house.
(b) A book of poems.
(c) Nieves does not remember any Christmas gift that she has given to Mercy.
(d) A pair of roller skates.
11. Where happens to the gift that Rocio gives her mother for Christmas?
(a) It is tucked away In the living room closet.
(b) It is stored on the kitchen shelf.
(c) It is placed in a prominent spot on Nieves' vanity table.
(d) Nieves tucks it away in her purse.
12. The loss of which of the following prompts Rocio, her sister, and her mother to grieve?
(a) The willow tree.
(b) The family photo collection.
(c) The mother's wedding ring.
(d) The family pet dog, Petunia.
13. Which of the following tends to inspire Nieves the most in relation to her choice of Christmas gifts for her daughters?
(b) The girls' personalities.
(c) The girls' wishes.
14. What is the name of Rocio's neighbors' eldest son?
15. Which of the following item types are not mentioned as being among the things in the television closet?
(d) Prom dresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the favorite tree among the children who live in Rocio's neighborhood?
2. Which of the following country's poor are to receive the rummage in the living room closet in the Esquibel home?
3. Which of the following is Nieves' profession?
4. How does the man of the house next door to that of Rocio and her family appear to be to Rocio and her sister?
5. What Christmas year is being reminisced about at the beginning of the Evening in Paris section of the book?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)