|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To the Germans the Levys are Jews, but what are they to the French?
2. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
3. How does Benjamin view Jewish suffering?
4. In a letter, what does Benjamin Levy tell his soldier son that being a Jew is?
5. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
2. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
3. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
4. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
5. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
6. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
7. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
8. How was it possible that the majority of the condemned Jews realized what was happening to them only once inside the gas chambers?
9. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
10. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author spends a large part of the book establishing a genealogy for Ernie that places him as the last of the Just Men. In your essay, select some of Ernie's ancestors and explain how the characteristics they demonstrated in their lifetimes are apparent in his actions.
Essay Topic 2
Everyone in Ernie's family has a different view of God and what the deity will or will not do for humans. In your essay, discuss the contrasts among the various understandings of God.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the character and personality of Ernie. What motivates him as a child? As an adult? What does he want to do? Does he believe himself to be a Just Man? The author talks of the first death of Ernie. Are there more than one? More than two? Use specific examples from the story.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)