|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie respond when reprimanded by the doctor for telling the children their experience was just a dream?
2. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
3. Why do the members of The Association say it is useless to push a Levy?
4. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
5. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
Essay Topic 1
Everyone in Ernie's family has a different view of God and what the deity will or will not do for humans. In your essay, discuss the contrasts among the various understandings of God.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the character and personality of Ernie. What motivates him as a child? As an adult? What does he want to do? Does he believe himself to be a Just Man? The author talks of the first death of Ernie. Are there more than one? More than two? Use specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
The author maintains verisimilitude,which is the appearance of reality, for his story by interspersing fictional scenes with events that actually took place. In your essay, discuss this method. Select examples from the book which contributed to making the story seem like fact, rather than fiction, and tell how the author accomplishes the willing suspension of disbelief that is required for a reader to accept a fictional story as true.
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)