|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his wedding dream, what shows up at the windows?
2. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
3. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
4. What does Mario eat while he is living as a dog?
5. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
2. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
3. Why did the colored identity cards give the Jews a false sense of security?
4. What part does the music of the band play in the successful extermination of the Jews?
5. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
6. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
7. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
8. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
9. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
10. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Authors write for many purposes such as to entertain, to inform, to persuade, or some combination of these. In your essay, explain which purpose you believe motivated Schwarz-Bart to write this story. Use specific examples from the book itself to substantiate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Benjamin declares that being a Jew is impossible. In your essay, explain the ways in which the Jews in this story are different from other human groups. How are they identified? How do they see themselves among other people? What does Benjamin mean when he says it is impossible?
Essay Topic 3
Schwarz-Bart includes a number of characters who represent wide segments of society in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. In your essay, select two or three characters such as the nurse in the infirmary, the farmer's wife, the young Galician, or Herr Geek and explain what purpose they serve in presenting the reader with a panoramic viewpoint of the culture at that time.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)