|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
2. What does Ernie believe is the most painful foretaste of death?
3. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
4. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
5. What does Ernie smell as he gets out of the boxcar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
2. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
3. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
4. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
5. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
6. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
7. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
8. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
9. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
10. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author spends a large part of the book establishing a genealogy for Ernie that places him as the last of the Just Men. In your essay, select some of Ernie's ancestors and explain how the characteristics they demonstrated in their lifetimes are apparent in his actions.
Essay Topic 2
There are moments in this story when Ernie is happy. In your essay, identify and explain the moments that cause him to briefly experience happiness. Do they make his life better or worse? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
Everyone in Ernie's family has a different view of God and what the deity will or will not do for humans. In your essay, discuss the contrasts among the various understandings of God.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)