|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
2. What unusual request does Ernie make of the gendarmes in Drancy?
3. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
4. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
5. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate this story in terms of tone and mood. Is it unrelentingly dark? Are there funny scenes? Are there lovable characters? Are all of the non-Jews evil? How does the author keep his reading audience from being overwhelmed by despair at this story? Use concrete examples and quotations from the story to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Authors write for many purposes such as to entertain, to inform, to persuade, or some combination of these. In your essay, explain which purpose you believe motivated Schwarz-Bart to write this story. Use specific examples from the book itself to substantiate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The author puts himself into the story more than once. In your essay, find the moments in which the author shares his own feelings with the reader, and evaluate this device. Does he belong in the story? Why or why not? Is he sharing his feelings because they are similar to yours? What ultimately gives him relief from the grief he experiences as he composes this story?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)