|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
2. What does Mario eat while he is living as a dog?
3. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
4. What are Ernie's first words as he comes to life in the hospital?
5. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
2. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
3. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
4. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
5. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
6. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
7. What causes the Levy family the first tinge of fear that life in France will be the equivalent of their lives in Germany?
8. In Ernie's dream, what mistake does Judith make as she talks about the wedding?
9. Where did the Nazis tell the Jews they were going in the boxcars?
10. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Authors write for many purposes such as to entertain, to inform, to persuade, or some combination of these. In your essay, explain which purpose you believe motivated Schwarz-Bart to write this story. Use specific examples from the book itself to substantiate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The position of a Just Man in the world is complex, and it takes the child Ernie some time to understand what he is supposed to do on behalf of his fellow man. Using explanations given by Mordecai and others, as well as actions by the Just Men, explain in your essay what they do for humanity.
Essay Topic 3
The author often uses a sardonic tone describing, for instance, the "kind" treatment of the detainees by the German guards. In your essay, find examples of this tone and explain why you think the author used it. What effect did it have on you as a reader?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)