|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
2. What does the SS aide say that Ernie's case reminds him of?
3. What was the "Final Solution"?
4. What does Ernie smell as he gets out of the boxcar?
5. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
2. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
3. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
4. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
5. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
6. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
7. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
8. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
9. How was it possible that the majority of the condemned Jews realized what was happening to them only once inside the gas chambers?
10. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Authors write for many purposes such as to entertain, to inform, to persuade, or some combination of these. In your essay, explain which purpose you believe motivated Schwarz-Bart to write this story. Use specific examples from the book itself to substantiate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Everyone in Ernie's family has a different view of God and what the deity will or will not do for humans. In your essay, discuss the contrasts among the various understandings of God.
Essay Topic 3
The author often uses a sardonic tone describing, for instance, the "kind" treatment of the detainees by the German guards. In your essay, find examples of this tone and explain why you think the author used it. What effect did it have on you as a reader?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)