Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
2. What unusual request does Ernie make of the gendarmes in Drancy?
3. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
4. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
5. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
Essay Topic 1
The author spends a large part of the book establishing a genealogy for Ernie that places him as the last of the Just Men. In your essay, select some of Ernie's ancestors and explain how the characteristics they demonstrated in their lifetimes are apparent in his actions.
Essay Topic 2
All stories are either plot-driven, relying upon the action of the story to maintain interest, or character-driven, where the most important story element is the changes that take place in the lives of the characters. In your essay, tell whether you think The Last of the Just is plot-driven or character-driven. Substantiate your position with examples and illustrations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Covering a sweeping time period, Schwarz-Bart draws some scenes in great detail. For your essay, select a scene such as the one where Ernie is hurt so badly by Frau Turszynski's torment that he has to step forward to protest, or the scene where he has a normal childhood conversation with a German peasant child. Explain what your scene contributes to our understanding of Ernie and the world in which he is living.
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)