|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
2. What penance does Ernie impose upon himself for not loving the farmer's wife who took him in?
3. As they breathed the gas, when did Ernie promise Golda he would see her?
4. What does Mario eat while he is living as a dog?
5. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
2. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
3. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
4. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
5. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
6. In Ernie's dream, what mistake does Judith make as she talks about the wedding?
7. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
8. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
9. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
10. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The position of a Just Man in the world is complex, and it takes the child Ernie some time to understand what he is supposed to do on behalf of his fellow man. Using explanations given by Mordecai and others, as well as actions by the Just Men, explain in your essay what they do for humanity.
Essay Topic 2
Authors write for many purposes such as to entertain, to inform, to persuade, or some combination of these. In your essay, explain which purpose you believe motivated Schwarz-Bart to write this story. Use specific examples from the book itself to substantiate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
All stories are either plot-driven, relying upon the action of the story to maintain interest, or character-driven, where the most important story element is the changes that take place in the lives of the characters. In your essay, tell whether you think The Last of the Just is plot-driven or character-driven. Substantiate your position with examples and illustrations from the text.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)