|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
2. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
3. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
4. What is Ernie unable to determine about the children who crowd around him in the boxcar?
5. What do Golda and Ernie decide there is no time left to do?
Essay Topic 1
This author dedicates many pages of his story to dream sequences. For your essay, select one of the major dreams that Ernie has and interpret the dream, its relation to his waking life, and the author's possible purpose for including the dream in the story.
Essay Topic 2
If Ernie is the last of the 36 Just Men to exist in world history, what does this tell you about the author's hopes for the future of the world? In your essay, explain why you think he takes this position.
Essay Topic 3
There are moments in this story when Ernie is happy. In your essay, identify and explain the moments that cause him to briefly experience happiness. Do they make his life better or worse? Why do you think so?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)