|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument did Ernie play in the regimental orchestra?
2. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
3. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
4. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
5. How does Mordecai view Jewish suffering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author maintains verisimilitude,which is the appearance of reality, for his story by interspersing fictional scenes with events that actually took place. In your essay, discuss this method. Select examples from the book which contributed to making the story seem like fact, rather than fiction, and tell how the author accomplishes the willing suspension of disbelief that is required for a reader to accept a fictional story as true.
Essay Topic 2
The author puts himself into the story more than once. In your essay, find the moments in which the author shares his own feelings with the reader, and evaluate this device. Does he belong in the story? Why or why not? Is he sharing his feelings because they are similar to yours? What ultimately gives him relief from the grief he experiences as he composes this story?
Essay Topic 3
A great deal of this story revolves around Ernie's development as a child. In your essay, tell which of Ernie's recorded childhood events changed the man he was to become, and why you think so.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)