Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
2. What unusual request does Ernie make of the gendarmes in Drancy?
3. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
4. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
5. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
Essay Topic 1
An author has the option to write from the point of view of a particular character, a limited point of view in which he is able to explain the thoughts of some characters, or to write from an author omniscient point of view, in which he is able to explicate the thoughts of all of the characters. Which author point of view has Schwarz-Bart used in this story? Has he really understood the ideas and motivations of the Nazis? In your essay, validate your opinion with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The author spends a large part of the book establishing a genealogy for Ernie that places him as the last of the Just Men. In your essay, select some of Ernie's ancestors and explain how the characteristics they demonstrated in their lifetimes are apparent in his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Authors write for many purposes such as to entertain, to inform, to persuade, or some combination of these. In your essay, explain which purpose you believe motivated Schwarz-Bart to write this story. Use specific examples from the book itself to substantiate your opinion.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)