|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
2. Why were the passengers in the freight car hoping for rain?
3. What does Ernie pray will be taken from his heart on his dream wedding day?
4. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
5. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
2. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
3. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
4. What does Ernie say to comfort the children in the boxcar?
5. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
6. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
7. In Ernie's dream, what mistake does Judith make as she talks about the wedding?
8. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
9. What part does the music of the band play in the successful extermination of the Jews?
10. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All stories are either plot-driven, relying upon the action of the story to maintain interest, or character-driven, where the most important story element is the changes that take place in the lives of the characters. In your essay, tell whether you think The Last of the Just is plot-driven or character-driven. Substantiate your position with examples and illustrations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Schwarz-Bart includes a number of characters who represent wide segments of society in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. In your essay, select two or three characters such as the nurse in the infirmary, the farmer's wife, the young Galician, or Herr Geek and explain what purpose they serve in presenting the reader with a panoramic viewpoint of the culture at that time.
Essay Topic 3
Everyone in Ernie's family has a different view of God and what the deity will or will not do for humans. In your essay, discuss the contrasts among the various understandings of God.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)