|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ernie tells Golda that Jesus was _____________.
2. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
3. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
4. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
5. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An author has the option to write from the point of view of a particular character, a limited point of view in which he is able to explain the thoughts of some characters, or to write from an author omniscient point of view, in which he is able to explicate the thoughts of all of the characters. Which author point of view has Schwarz-Bart used in this story? Has he really understood the ideas and motivations of the Nazis? In your essay, validate your opinion with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate this story in terms of tone and mood. Is it unrelentingly dark? Are there funny scenes? Are there lovable characters? Are all of the non-Jews evil? How does the author keep his reading audience from being overwhelmed by despair at this story? Use concrete examples and quotations from the story to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
There are moments in this story when Ernie is happy. In your essay, identify and explain the moments that cause him to briefly experience happiness. Do they make his life better or worse? Why do you think so?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)