|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ancient text say is the role of Israel in the world?
2. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
3. How does little Ernie save Frau Tuszynski from being tormented by the Nazis?
4. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
5. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
2. What does Ernie's act of stepping forward to protest the treatment of Frau Tuszynski cause Mordecai to do?
3. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
4. Why did others regard Mordecai as a fallen Levy?
5. Why doesn't Ernie sing with his class when Herr Geek orders him to do so?
6. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
7. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
8. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
9. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
10. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author spends a large part of the book establishing a genealogy for Ernie that places him as the last of the Just Men. In your essay, select some of Ernie's ancestors and explain how the characteristics they demonstrated in their lifetimes are apparent in his actions.
Essay Topic 2
An author has the option to write from the point of view of a particular character, a limited point of view in which he is able to explain the thoughts of some characters, or to write from an author omniscient point of view, in which he is able to explicate the thoughts of all of the characters. Which author point of view has Schwarz-Bart used in this story? Has he really understood the ideas and motivations of the Nazis? In your essay, validate your opinion with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Schwarz-Bart includes a number of characters who represent wide segments of society in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. In your essay, select two or three characters such as the nurse in the infirmary, the farmer's wife, the young Galician, or Herr Geek and explain what purpose they serve in presenting the reader with a panoramic viewpoint of the culture at that time.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)