|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had a professor from Berlin found under the moss of the rock?
2. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
3. Why is the village upset when Chaim Levy has more than one son?
4. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
5. Who are the Pimpfe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
2. How does Judith recognize Mordecai as a Just Man?
3. Why doesn't Ernie sing with his class when Herr Geek orders him to do so?
4. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
5. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
6. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
7. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
8. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
9. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
10. What part does the music of the band play in the successful extermination of the Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of this story is very specific, yet nothing is mentioned in this story of the rationale for hatred and mistreatment of the Jews in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. What reasoning enabled Germans and others to believe that Jews should properly be exported or exterminated? Using Internet research for your essay, explain the societal elements that allowed such an idea as the Final Solution to come into existence in an educated, civilized society.
Essay Topic 2
A great deal of this story revolves around Ernie's development as a child. In your essay, tell which of Ernie's recorded childhood events changed the man he was to become, and why you think so.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the character and personality of Ernie. What motivates him as a child? As an adult? What does he want to do? Does he believe himself to be a Just Man? The author talks of the first death of Ernie. Are there more than one? More than two? Use specific examples from the story.
This section contains 1,827 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)