|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
2. Who overruns and destroys the Levys' village?
3. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
4. What does Moritz love best as a child?
5. What are Jews called in Herr Kremer's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Ernie to feel hatred for the first time?
2. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
3. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
4. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
5. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
6. What does Benjamin imagine will happen to the Jews as they become acquainted with Germans?
7. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
8. Why is Jacob not consoled when Ernie promises to "spring" at the Hitler Youth if they bother the little boy?
9. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
10. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Everyone in Ernie's family has a different view of God and what the deity will or will not do for humans. In your essay, discuss the contrasts among the various understandings of God.
Essay Topic 2
This author dedicates many pages of his story to dream sequences. For your essay, select one of the major dreams that Ernie has and interpret the dream, its relation to his waking life, and the author's possible purpose for including the dream in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Six million Jews is a very large number of people. Had they determined that it was appropriate to fight their oppressors, they could possibly have overpowered them. Why didn't they fight back? Use examples of their thoughts and actions in the story to substantiate your opinion.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)