|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
2. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
3. How does little Ernie save Frau Tuszynski from being tormented by the Nazis?
4. What mysterious affliction hit Benjamin when Judith and Mordecai came to Stillenstadt?
5. What keeps Ernie from success in committing suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
2. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
3. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
4. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
5. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
6. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
7. Why does Judith object to Mordecai telling stories to Ernie?
8. How does Judith recognize Mordecai as a Just Man?
9. How does Benjamin successfully market himself as a tailor?
10. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author often uses a sardonic tone describing, for instance, the "kind" treatment of the detainees by the German guards. In your essay, find examples of this tone and explain why you think the author used it. What effect did it have on you as a reader?
Essay Topic 2
The setting of this story is very specific, yet nothing is mentioned in this story of the rationale for hatred and mistreatment of the Jews in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. What reasoning enabled Germans and others to believe that Jews should properly be exported or exterminated? Using Internet research for your essay, explain the societal elements that allowed such an idea as the Final Solution to come into existence in an educated, civilized society.
Essay Topic 3
Schwarz-Bart includes a number of characters who represent wide segments of society in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. In your essay, select two or three characters such as the nurse in the infirmary, the farmer's wife, the young Galician, or Herr Geek and explain what purpose they serve in presenting the reader with a panoramic viewpoint of the culture at that time.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)