|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) They would be deported.
(b) There would be Nazi retribution.
(c) He would be executed.
(d) Police would search everywhere for him.
2. What is the last thing Ernie promises the children?
(a) He will go into the kingdom with them.
(b) They will not be killed.
(c) He will keep them safe from harm.
(d) They will not be imprisoned.
3. What does Herschel Grynszpan do that affects all Jews in Germany?
(a) Shoots a Nazi officer.
(b) Shoots his mother and his father.
(c) Shoots the secretary of the German embassy in Paris.
(d) Attempts to shoot the Fuehrer.
4. In a letter, what does Benjamin Levy tell his soldier son that being a Jew is?
(b) An honor.
5. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
(a) To cultivate his lowest instincts.
(b) To cultivate his highest instincts.
(c) To become a civilized man.
(d) To behave as a Just Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the travelers in the freight car with Ernie and Golda found "true consolation"?
2. Why does Ernie think that he has the soul of a cat?
3. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
4. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
5. What do the Jews continue to do in 1943 despite ever-increasing danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
2. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
3. In Ernie's dream, what mistake does Judith make as she talks about the wedding?
4. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
5. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
6. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
7. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
8. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
9. Why did the colored identity cards give the Jews a false sense of security?
10. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)