|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Vernichtungswissenschaft?
(a) The science of biology.
(b) The science of massacre.
(c) The science of torture.
(d) The science of cleansing.
2. What actually awaited the Jews at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be allowed a fresh start.
(b) They would be killed.
(c) They would be granted homesteads.
(d) They would be shipped to Israel.
3. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
(a) Their suitcases and clothing.
(b) Their soap and toiletries.
(c) Their identification.
(d) Their valuables and papers.
4. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
(a) Crystal maker.
(b) Machine operator.
(c) Apprentice tailor.
(d) Bicycle messenger.
5. What instrument did Ernie play in the regimental orchestra?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Ernie ultimately dream he becomes?
2. What is a brioche?
3. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
4. As they breathed the gas, when did Ernie promise Golda he would see her?
5. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
2. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
3. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
4. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
5. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
6. What causes the Levy family the first tinge of fear that life in France will be the equivalent of their lives in Germany?
7. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
8. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
9. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
10. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)