|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
(a) Everything that had happened to Just Men.
(b) Everything that had happened to the Levy family.
(c) Everything that had happened to him.
(d) Every form of mental and physical distress.
2. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) His ears bleed.
(b) He weeps blood.
(c) His wounds bleed.
(d) He sweats blood.
3. How does the Levy family support itself in Paris at first?
(a) On their savings.
(b) On Benjamin's tailoring.
(c) On Mordecai's crystal work.
(d) On state subsidies.
4. What was Ernie's assignment in the French army?
(a) Stretcher bearer.
(c) Calvary man.
5. What penance does Ernie impose upon himself for not loving the farmer's wife who took him in?
(a) Displaying great passion.
(b) Doing all the farm work.
(c) Refusing her good cooking.
(d) Being kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernie decide he must leave the city of Marseilles?
2. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
3. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
4. Why did Ernie decide not to join the protest movements?
5. As they breathed the gas, when did Ernie promise Golda he would see her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
2. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
3. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
4. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
5. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
6. What part does the music of the band play in the successful extermination of the Jews?
7. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
8. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
9. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
10. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)