|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
(a) It became thinner.
(b) It became flabby.
(c) It became droopy.
(d) It became unrecognizeable.
2. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
(a) "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."
(b) "It is better to die on our feet than live on our knees."
(c) "It is better to live than to die."
(d) "It is better to live on our feet than die on our knees."
3. How does Benjamin view Jewish suffering?
(a) As mankind's sacrificial offering to God.
(b) As the triumph of the wicked.
(c) As retribution for sin.
(d) As senseless torment.
4. What did the Nazi officer do with Golda's musical instrument?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Taken it with him.
(c) Stamped on it.
(d) Returned it to her.
5. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Jews of Proskurov do to save themselves from persecution?
2. What does Ernie smell as he gets out of the boxcar?
3. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
4. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
5. Why does Ernie decide he must leave the city of Marseilles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
2. What does Ernie say to comfort the children in the boxcar?
3. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
4. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
5. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
6. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
7. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
8. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
9. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
10. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)