|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dogs do the SS officers bring with them to help manage the people in the boxcars?
(a) German shepherds.
(b) Bloodhounds and rottweilers.
(c) Pincers and mastiffs.
(d) Bulldogs and bloodhounds.
2. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
(a) She is stronger than they were.
(b) They were about to leave.
(c) Her older brother was coming to protect her.
(d) She isn't pretty enough.
3. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
(a) A dog.
(b) A flea.
(c) Lord of the flies.
(d) A fly.
4. What unusual request does Ernie make of the gendarmes in Drancy?
(a) Identification of the concentration camp's inhabitants.
(b) A visitor's pass to the concentration camp.
(c) Admission to the concentration camp.
(d) Exemption from the concentration camp.
5. In the hospital, what does Ernie pray to God to do?
(a) Save his family.
(b) Destroy the Nazis.
(c) Change the government.
(d) Bring the Messiah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the aide request of the SS officer?
2. What musical instrument does Golda play?
3. What was Ernie's assignment in the French army?
4. What does Ernie believe is written on his face?
5. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
2. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
3. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
4. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
5. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
6. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
7. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
8. Why did the colored identity cards give the Jews a false sense of security?
9. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
10. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)