|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
(a) A cloth for the synagogue.
(b) The yellow star that shows he is a Jew.
(c) Clothing for the old men.
(d) A new cap.
2. How does Mordecai view Jewish suffering?
(a) As retribution for sin.
(b) As senseless torment.
(c) As mankind's sacrificial offering to God.
(d) As the triumph of the wicked.
3. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
(a) Everything that had happened to the Levy family.
(b) Everything that had happened to Just Men.
(c) Every form of mental and physical distress.
(d) Everything that had happened to him.
4. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
(a) She was thrown from a horse.
(b) She was thrown from a mule.
(c) She was flung overboard in the Danube.
(d) She fell out of a wagon.
5. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(b) Ear plugs.
(d) Gas masks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Golda play?
2. What does Mario eat while he is living as a dog?
3. What word do the members of The Association of Old Zenyock have trouble pronouncing?
4. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
5. Where did Ernie find work in 1943?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
2. What causes the Levy family the first tinge of fear that life in France will be the equivalent of their lives in Germany?
3. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
4. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
5. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
6. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
7. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
8. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
9. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
10. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)