|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(c) Gas masks.
(d) Ear plugs.
2. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
(a) "It is better to live on our feet than die on our knees."
(b) "It is better to live than to die."
(c) "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."
(d) "It is better to die on our feet than live on our knees."
3. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
(a) He is being married.
(b) He has returned to Stillenstadt.
(c) He is a child at home.
(d) He has died and gone to heaven.
4. Where did Ernie find work in 1943?
(a) A crystal maker's.
(b) A tailor's.
(c) A furrier's.
(d) A baker's.
5. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
(a) One foot is larger.
(b) One leg is shorter.
(c) One arm is longer.
(d) One hand is paralyzed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What penance does Ernie impose upon himself for not loving the farmer's wife who took him in?
2. Which of the travelers in the freight car with Ernie and Golda found "true consolation"?
3. What is the last thing Ernie promises the children?
4. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
5. How long does Ernie stay in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
2. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
3. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
4. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
5. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
6. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
7. Where did the Nazis tell the Jews they were going in the boxcars?
8. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
9. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
10. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)