|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Ernie's attention from Golda as they travel in the freight car?
(a) The children.
(b) The officers.
(c) The dying.
(d) The women.
2. What is in the bridal chamber when Ernie and Golda first enter in Ernie's dream?
(a) Doves and butterflies.
(b) A canopied bed.
(c) A rooster and a fish.
(d) A sewing machine, a bundle, and a cot.
3. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) His ears bleed.
(b) His wounds bleed.
(c) He sweats blood.
(d) He weeps blood.
4. What does Mario eat while he is living as a dog?
(b) Bread and water.
(c) He refuses to eat.
(d) Raw meat.
5. Why were the passengers in the freight car hoping for rain?
(a) They were overheated.
(b) They wanted to fill their canteens.
(c) They had no water.
(d) They hoped it would stop the car's progress.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
2. What instrument did Ernie play in the regimental orchestra?
3. What does the SS officer suspect Ernie of doing?
4. Where did Ernie find work in 1943?
5. How does the Levy family support itself in Paris at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
2. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
3. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
4. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
5. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
6. How was it possible that the majority of the condemned Jews realized what was happening to them only once inside the gas chambers?
7. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
8. What does Ernie say to comfort the children in the boxcar?
9. What causes the Levy family the first tinge of fear that life in France will be the equivalent of their lives in Germany?
10. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)