|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
(a) Everything that had happened to the Levy family.
(b) Every form of mental and physical distress.
(c) Everything that had happened to Just Men.
(d) Everything that had happened to him.
2. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
(a) Apprentice tailor.
(b) Machine operator.
(c) Bicycle messenger.
(d) Crystal maker.
3. What instrument did Ernie play in the regimental orchestra?
4. Why do the members of The Association say it is useless to push a Levy?
(a) They can fly all by themselves.
(b) They are stronger than others.
(c) They will fall all by themselves.
(d) They are already down.
5. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(a) Gas masks.
(b) Ear plugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Jews continue to do in 1943 despite ever-increasing danger?
2. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
3. How did the SS officers calm and reassure the prisoners upon their arrival?
4. What do Golda and Ernie decide there is no time left to do?
5. How long does Ernie stay in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Levy family the first tinge of fear that life in France will be the equivalent of their lives in Germany?
2. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
3. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
4. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
5. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
6. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
7. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
8. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
9. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
10. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)