|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie pray will be taken from his heart on his dream wedding day?
(a) All sorrow.
(b) All desire for revenge.
(c) All hatred.
(d) All Christian influence.
2. What does Mario eat while he is living as a dog?
(b) Raw meat.
(c) Bread and water.
(d) He refuses to eat.
3. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
(a) Siestas and delirium.
(b) Overindulgence and misery.
(c) Fasting, temperance, and writing poetry.
(d) Vulnerability and heartbreak.
4. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
(a) To cultivate his lowest instincts.
(b) To cultivate his highest instincts.
(c) To become a civilized man.
(d) To behave as a Just Man.
5. What does the aide request of the SS officer?
(a) Permission to cry.
(b) Permission to leave the room during the interrogation.
(c) Permission to laugh.
(d) Permission to torture Ernie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What penance does Ernie impose upon himself for not loving the farmer's wife who took him in?
2. What does Ernie do to get the attention of the military in Drancy?
3. What was the "Final Solution"?
4. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
5. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Ernie's dream, what mistake does Judith make as she talks about the wedding?
2. Why did the colored identity cards give the Jews a false sense of security?
3. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
4. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
5. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
6. What does Ernie say to comfort the children in the boxcar?
7. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
8. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
9. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
10. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)