|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ernie decide he must leave the city of Marseilles?
(a) He is reminded of home.
(b) He keeps falling in love.
(c) He keeps getting in fights.
(d) He is losing weight.
2. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
(a) She was thrown from a mule.
(b) She was flung overboard in the Danube.
(c) She was thrown from a horse.
(d) She fell out of a wagon.
3. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and dormitories."
(b) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(c) "To the baths and dining hall."
(d) "To the baths and inhalations."
4. What happens to hundreds of German Jewish boys in 1934?
(a) They convert to Christianity.
(b) They flee the country.
(c) They committ suicide.
(d) They form gangs.
5. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
(a) Turned it into a sword.
(b) Made it a symbol of peace.
(c) Made it something to hope for.
(d) Made it a symbol of hatred.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Ernie stay in the hospital?
2. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
3. What is a brioche?
4. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
5. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
2. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
3. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
4. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
5. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
6. In Ernie's dream, what mistake does Judith make as she talks about the wedding?
7. What causes the Levy family the first tinge of fear that life in France will be the equivalent of their lives in Germany?
8. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
9. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
10. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)