|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herschel Grynszpan do that affects all Jews in Germany?
(a) Shoots the secretary of the German embassy in Paris.
(b) Shoots a Nazi officer.
(c) Shoots his mother and his father.
(d) Attempts to shoot the Fuehrer.
2. What does Ernie believe is written on his face?
(a) The evacuation of the Jewish people.
(b) The future of the Jewish people.
(c) The hope of the Jewish people.
(d) The death of the Jewish people.
3. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
(a) She isn't pretty enough.
(b) Her older brother was coming to protect her.
(c) She is stronger than they were.
(d) They were about to leave.
4. Ernie tells Golda that Jesus was _____________.
(a) An old-fashioned Jewish Just Man.
(b) The first fascist.
(c) A symbol of war and division.
(d) An innocent victim of men's greed.
5. What actually awaited the Jews at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be allowed a fresh start.
(b) They would be granted homesteads.
(c) They would be killed.
(d) They would be shipped to Israel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
2. What is Vernichtungswissenschaft?
3. What was Golda's impossible desire?
4. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
5. What do the Jews continue to do in 1943 despite ever-increasing danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
2. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
3. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
4. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
5. In Ernie's dream, what mistake does Judith make as she talks about the wedding?
6. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
7. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
8. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
9. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
10. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)