|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Vernichtungswissenschaft?
(a) The science of torture.
(b) The science of biology.
(c) The science of cleansing.
(d) The science of massacre.
2. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Prevent pain.
(b) Make breathing easier.
(c) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
(d) Free them from this world.
3. What does the aide request of the SS officer?
(a) Permission to torture Ernie.
(b) Permission to cry.
(c) Permission to leave the room during the interrogation.
(d) Permission to laugh.
4. What do the Jews of Proskurov do to save themselves from persecution?
(a) Dig tunnels.
(b) Store food.
(c) Arm themselves.
(d) Cry out for seven nights.
5. Why did the Jews in Germany not believe the warning signs of their destruction?
(a) They did not believe that human beings could behave like the Nazis.
(b) They believed their suffering served an ultimate purpose.
(c) They did not believe the Nazis would lie.
(d) They believed God would ultimately rescue them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the "Final Solution"?
2. Why does Ernie think that he has the soul of a cat?
3. Why do the members of The Association say it is useless to push a Levy?
4. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
5. What actually awaited the Jews at Pichipoi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the colored identity cards give the Jews a false sense of security?
2. How was it possible that the majority of the condemned Jews realized what was happening to them only once inside the gas chambers?
3. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
4. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
5. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
6. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
7. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
8. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
9. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
10. Where did the Nazis tell the Jews they were going in the boxcars?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)