|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
(a) Clearing forests.
(b) Building houses and roads.
(c) Building offices and apartments.
(d) Building bridges.
2. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
(a) Sorrow that turned to Pity.
(b) Pity that turned to happiness.
(c) Pity that turned to sorrow.
(d) Sorry that turned to happiness.
3. Which of the travelers in the freight car with Ernie and Golda found "true consolation"?
(a) Those who prayed.
(b) Those who died.
(c) Those who helped others.
(d) Those who overcame their fear.
4. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Turn in their personal possessions.
(c) Wait to be killed.
(d) Put identification in their mouths.
5. What happens to hundreds of German Jewish boys in 1934?
(a) They committ suicide.
(b) They convert to Christianity.
(c) They form gangs.
(d) They flee the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mario eat while he is living as a dog?
2. What is in the bridal chamber when Ernie and Golda first enter in Ernie's dream?
3. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
4. What is Ernie unable to determine about the children who crowd around him in the boxcar?
5. To the Germans the Levys are Jews, but what are they to the French?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
2. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
3. Why do the children scream when the boxcar stops?
4. What does Ernie do to turn himself into a dog?
5. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
6. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
7. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
8. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
9. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
10. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)