|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ernie think that he has the soul of a cat?
(a) He is elusive by nature.
(b) He must be killed nine times before he dies.
(c) He feels no affection for humans.
(d) He is a wanderer by nature.
2. Ernie tells Golda that Jesus was _____________.
(a) A symbol of war and division.
(b) The first fascist.
(c) An old-fashioned Jewish Just Man.
(d) An innocent victim of men's greed.
3. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
(b) Prevent pain.
(c) Make breathing easier.
(d) Free them from this world.
4. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
(a) Building houses and roads.
(b) Clearing forests.
(c) Building bridges.
(d) Building offices and apartments.
5. Which of the travelers in the freight car with Ernie and Golda found "true consolation"?
(a) Those who died.
(b) Those who prayed.
(c) Those who helped others.
(d) Those who overcame their fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a brioche?
2. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
3. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
4. What is the last thing Ernie promises the children?
5. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie say to comfort the children in the boxcar?
2. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
3. Why do the SS men torture Ernie for his request to enter the camp at Drancy?
4. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
5. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
6. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
7. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
8. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
9. What part does the music of the band play in the successful extermination of the Jews?
10. In Ernie's dream, what mistake does Judith make as she talks about the wedding?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)