|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
(a) An imposter.
(b) A Just Man of the Levy family.
(c) An unknown Just Man.
(d) A genius.
2. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
(a) He has returned to Stillenstadt.
(b) He has died and gone to heaven.
(c) He is a child at home.
(d) He is being married.
3. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
(a) Sorrow that turned to Pity.
(b) Pity that turned to happiness.
(c) Pity that turned to sorrow.
(d) Sorry that turned to happiness.
4. What was Ernie's assignment in the French army?
(a) Stretcher bearer.
(c) Calvary man.
5. What did the Nazi officer do with Golda's musical instrument?
(a) Stamped on it.
(b) Burned it.
(c) Returned it to her.
(d) Taken it with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
2. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
3. How did the SS officers calm and reassure the prisoners upon their arrival?
4. Why do the members of The Association say it is useless to push a Levy?
5. What is Vernichtungswissenschaft?
Short Essay Questions
1. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
2. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
3. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
4. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
5. What does the author find "admirable" about German education during the years before the Final Solution of Jewish extermination?
6. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
7. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
8. What change does touching Melanie make in Ernie?
9. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
10. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)