|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ernie unable to determine about the children who crowd around him in the boxcar?
(a) If any of them are still alive.
(b) If any of them hear him speaking.
(c) If any of them are still awake.
(d) If any of them understand what he is saying.
2. In a letter, what does Benjamin Levy tell his soldier son that being a Jew is?
(c) An honor.
3. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(b) "To the baths and dining hall."
(c) "To the baths and dormitories."
(d) "To the baths and inhalations."
4. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
(a) To cultivate his lowest instincts.
(b) To cultivate his highest instincts.
(c) To behave as a Just Man.
(d) To become a civilized man.
5. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Prevent pain.
(b) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
(c) Make breathing easier.
(d) Free them from this world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Golda play?
2. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
3. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
4. What does Ernie call the members of The Association that pleases them?
5. What is a brioche?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
2. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
3. What does Ernie say to comfort the children in the boxcar?
4. What changes does Madame Trochu make when she understands that Ernie is a Jew?
5. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
6. How was it possible that the majority of the condemned Jews realized what was happening to them only once inside the gas chambers?
7. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
8. What were the Jews told to take with them into the "Baths and Inhalations"?
9. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
10. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)