|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To the Germans the Levys are Jews, but what are they to the French?
(d) Illegal immigrants.
2. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
(b) Prevent pain.
(c) Make breathing easier.
(d) Free them from this world.
3. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
(a) The dogs.
(b) The geese.
(c) The chickens.
(d) The horses.
4. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(b) "To the baths and dormitories."
(c) "To the baths and inhalations."
(d) "To the baths and dining hall."
5. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
(a) They are shot.
(b) They are deported.
(c) They are delivered to Nazi extermination camps.
(d) They are set free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie pray will be taken from his heart on his dream wedding day?
2. What does the SS aide say that Ernie's case reminds him of?
3. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
4. How does Mordecai view Jewish suffering?
5. What word do the members of The Association of Old Zenyock have trouble pronouncing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising request does Ernie make of the gendarmes at Drancy?
2. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
3. Why did the colored identity cards give the Jews a false sense of security?
4. Where did the Nazis tell the Jews they were going in the boxcars?
5. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
6. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
7. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
8. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
9. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
10. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)