|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie smell as he gets out of the boxcar?
(b) Food cooking.
(c) Burning rubber.
(d) Organic matter burning.
2. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
3. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
(a) She was thrown from a horse.
(b) She fell out of a wagon.
(c) She was thrown from a mule.
(d) She was flung overboard in the Danube.
4. What do the Jews continue to do in 1943 despite ever-increasing danger?
(a) Attend synagogue.
(b) Speak Yiddish.
(c) Wear the identifying stars.
(d) Dress as Jews.
5. Ernie tells Golda that Jesus was _____________.
(a) An old-fashioned Jewish Just Man.
(b) An innocent victim of men's greed.
(c) The first fascist.
(d) A symbol of war and division.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to hundreds of German Jewish boys in 1934?
2. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
3. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
4. What does Ernie realizes he lacks when he enters the street in his dream?
5. What instrument did Ernie play in the regimental orchestra?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe Jesus?
2. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
3. Why does Madame Trochu, the farmer's wife, distrust Ernie?
4. Where did the Nazis tell the Jews they were going in the boxcars?
5. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
6. Why is Ernie unable to fight to defend Jacob, even though he trains himself to do so?
7. What happens to Ernie in the infirmary where he is put to recover from his torture session?
8. What part does the music of the band play in the successful extermination of the Jews?
9. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
10. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)