|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
(a) He ran to join them.
(b) He threw stones at them.
(c) He ran away from them and hid.
(d) He fainted from fear.
2. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
(a) To tell his mother.
(b) To meet him by the school.
(c) To be his steady girlfriend.
(d) To make him pay.
3. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(a) Work to save the world.
(b) Redeem his people.
(d) Become wise.
4. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Move to Zemyock.
(c) Become a crystal worker.
(d) Become a baker.
5. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
2. What finally causes Benjamin to drop his suspicion of the villagers?
3. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
4. How does Chaim Levy attract the children of the village where he lives?
5. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Benjamin successfully market himself as a tailor?
2. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
3. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
4. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
5. What drama takes place between Judith and Fraulein Blumenthal as children are born?
6. What does Benjamin imagine will happen to the Jews as they become acquainted with Germans?
7. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
8. Why does Judith blame herself for the death of three of her sons?
9. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
10. What does Ernie's act of stepping forward to protest the treatment of Frau Tuszynski cause Mordecai to do?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)