|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) All humanity would bear its own grief.
(b) All humanity would be forced to improve.
(c) All humanity would die.
(d) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
2. What does Benjamin think will make Jews become Germans?
3. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
(a) She can't feed more children.
(b) She senses something is wrong with the fetus.
(c) She is afraid Mordecai will leave her.
(d) Her first three babies died in infancy.
4. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She screams.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She becomes his friend.
5. What is Mordecai's pet name for Judith?
(a) My pussycat.
(b) My mare.
(c) My dove.
(d) My angel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
2. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
3. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
4. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
5. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
2. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
3. Why does Judith object to Mordecai telling stories to Ernie?
4. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
5. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
6. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
7. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
8. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
9. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
10. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)