|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does little Ernie save Frau Tuszynski from being tormented by the Nazis?
(a) When he steps forward to protect her, they are ashamed.
(b) When he steps forward to protect her, they are distracted.
(c) When he steps forward to protect her, they laugh.
(d) When he steps forward to protect her, they attack him instead.
2. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(a) Redeem his people.
(c) Become wise.
(d) Work to save the world.
3. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(c) Salute Hitler.
(d) Pledge allegiance.
4. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
(a) Helps him with his homework.
(b) Becomes his friend in public.
(c) Bargains with bullies to protect him.
(d) Cares for him when he is ill.
5. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
(a) "All Who God Made German Sing."
(b) "Forward for the Fatherland."
(c) "Unity in Victory."
(d) "Strike, Pierce, and Kill."
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Ernie from success in committing suicide?
2. Why was the Rock of Woden famous?
3. What is Benjamin Levy's occupation?
4. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
5. What were the Levys never able to identify about the Just Man in their family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Judith recognize Mordecai as a Just Man?
2. What causes Ernie to feel hatred for the first time?
3. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
4. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
5. Why did others regard Mordecai as a fallen Levy?
6. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
7. Why is Jacob not consoled when Ernie promises to "spring" at the Hitler Youth if they bother the little boy?
8. What does Ernie's act of stepping forward to protest the treatment of Frau Tuszynski cause Mordecai to do?
9. What drama takes place between Judith and Fraulein Blumenthal as children are born?
10. Why does Judith object to Mordecai telling stories to Ernie?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)