|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mysterious affliction hit Benjamin when Judith and Mordecai came to Stillenstadt?
(a) A mental confusion.
(b) A headache.
(c) A fever.
(d) A silence.
2. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
(a) They think they were wrong.
(b) They think he is vengeful.
(c) They think they will be punished.
(d) They think they have killed him.
3. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
(a) Helps him with his homework.
(b) Becomes his friend in public.
(c) Cares for him when he is ill.
(d) Bargains with bullies to protect him.
4. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
(a) "Strike, Pierce, and Kill."
(b) "Unity in Victory."
(c) "All Who God Made German Sing."
(d) "Forward for the Fatherland."
5. What does Benjamin think will make Jews become Germans?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
2. Why does Mordecai Levy advise the village girl he meets to be kind to him?
3. Who is Woden?
4. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
5. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
2. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
3. Why did others regard Mordecai as a fallen Levy?
4. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
5. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
6. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
7. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
8. What drama takes place between Judith and Fraulein Blumenthal as children are born?
9. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
10. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)