|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
(a) They could not observe the Sabbath.
(b) They preferred honorable starvation to work.
(c) They thought the factories were devilish.
(d) They were too frail.
2. What finally causes Benjamin to drop his suspicion of the villagers?
(c) Kind words.
(d) Cheap rent.
3. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
(b) He no longer believes in that legend.
(c) He is afraid that she would leave him.
(d) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
4. Why does Ernie decide that he cannot be a Just Man as he cleans his wounds after the bullying?
(a) He feels anger.
(b) He feels hatred.
(c) He feels forgiving.
(d) He feels no pain.
5. What does Moritz love best as a child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do to his fellow villagers?
2. From which group of children is Ernie separated?
3. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
4. How does the Just Man designate Benjamin as his heir?
5. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
2. What causes Mordecai to take up a weapon against the Nazi perpetrators?
3. Why does Judith blame herself for the death of three of her sons?
4. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
5. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
6. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
7. What does Benjamin imagine will happen to the Jews as they become acquainted with Germans?
8. Why doesn't Ernie sing with his class when Herr Geek orders him to do so?
9. What part does the music of the band play in the successful extermination of the Jews?
10. Why did the colored identity cards give the Jews a false sense of security?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)