|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What finally causes Benjamin to drop his suspicion of the villagers?
(b) Kind words.
(c) Cheap rent.
2. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Mordecai hears them.
(b) Benjamin hears them.
(c) Judith hears them.
(d) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
3. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
4. Why does Ernie decide that he cannot be a Just Man as he cleans his wounds after the bullying?
(a) He feels hatred.
(b) He feels forgiving.
(c) He feels no pain.
(d) He feels anger.
5. Who overruns and destroys the Levys' village?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
2. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
3. What does Benjamin think will make Jews become Germans?
4. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
5. Who are the Pimpfe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
2. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
3. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
4. What does Benjamin imagine will happen to the Jews as they become acquainted with Germans?
5. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
6. Why did others regard Mordecai as a fallen Levy?
7. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
8. Why does Herr Geek see the Jews as a threat to Germany?
9. When Hitler becomes Chancellor of the Reich, what decision of her own does Judith regret?
10. How does Judith recognize Mordecai as a Just Man?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)