|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
2. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
(a) She is afraid Mordecai will leave her.
(b) She can't feed more children.
(c) She senses something is wrong with the fetus.
(d) Her first three babies died in infancy.
3. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
(a) The city wall.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) The well.
(d) The gate to leave the city.
4. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
(b) He no longer believes in that legend.
(c) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
(d) He is afraid that she would leave him.
5. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
(a) Become a baker.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Move to Zemyock.
(d) Become a crystal worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
2. What does Ernie decide that he is after the bullying by the Plimpfe?
3. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
4. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
5. What had a professor from Berlin found under the moss of the rock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
2. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
3. Why doesn't Ernie sing with his class when Herr Geek orders him to do so?
4. What does Ernie's act of stepping forward to protest the treatment of Frau Tuszynski cause Mordecai to do?
5. What does Ernie think as he is surrounded by the Pimpfe bullies?
6. Why did others regard Mordecai as a fallen Levy?
7. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
8. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
9. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
10. What causes Ernie to feel hatred for the first time?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)