|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
(a) He claimed to know the latest styles.
(b) He claimed to make old clothes like new.
(c) He claimed to make his customers "Gentlemen of Berlin."
(d) He claimed to charge the lowest prices.
2. What keeps Ernie from success in committing suicide?
(a) The sense that he is already nothing.
(b) The absence of pain.
(c) Fear of death.
(d) Love of his family.
3. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They split up into small groups.
(b) They travel together to protect each other.
(c) They take off their cloaks and hats.
(d) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
4. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She faints.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She offers herself in his place.
(d) She kills him.
5. How does Chaim Levy attract the children of the village where he lives?
(a) With promises of treats.
(b) With threats of disaster.
(c) With ancient stories.
(d) With candy and nuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
2. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
3. What does Mordecai want to rejuvenate his life after he can't work?
4. Who is Woden?
5. How does Benjamin believe his success in business has helped his fellow Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did others regard Mordecai as a fallen Levy?
2. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
3. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
4. How does Judith recognize Mordecai as a Just Man?
5. Why does Herr Geek see the Jews as a threat to Germany?
6. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
7. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
8. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
9. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
10. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)