|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
(a) He claimed to make old clothes like new.
(b) He claimed to know the latest styles.
(c) He claimed to charge the lowest prices.
(d) He claimed to make his customers "Gentlemen of Berlin."
2. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
(a) Walk many miles to work.
(b) Work harder than others.
(c) Agree to accept half wages.
3. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
4. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
(a) The instruction of the class.
(b) The purification of the class.
(c) The improvement of the class.
(d) The reorganization of the class.
5. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(b) Work to save the world.
(c) Redeem his people.
(d) Become wise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
2. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
3. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
4. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
5. Why does Mordecai Levy advise the village girl he meets to be kind to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
2. What causes the Levy family the first tinge of fear that life in France will be the equivalent of their lives in Germany?
3. What details alert Ernie to the fact that the passengers will never leave this place?
4. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
5. How does Benjamin successfully market himself as a tailor?
6. When Hitler becomes Chancellor of the Reich, what decision of her own does Judith regret?
7. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
8. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
9. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
10. Why does Judith blame herself for the death of three of her sons?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)