|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(c) Salute Hitler.
(d) Pledge allegiance.
2. Who overruns and destroys the Levys' village?
3. What is Ernie first in at his school?
4. What does Moritz love best as a child?
5. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
2. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
3. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
4. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
5. What does the ancient text say is the role of Israel in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
2. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
3. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
4. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
5. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
6. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
7. Why does Judith object to Mordecai telling stories to Ernie?
8. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
9. Why is Jacob not consoled when Ernie promises to "spring" at the Hitler Youth if they bother the little boy?
10. When Hitler becomes Chancellor of the Reich, what decision of her own does Judith regret?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)