|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mordecai Levy advise the village girl he meets to be kind to him?
(a) He might be the love of her life.
(b) He might be a spy from her father.
(c) He might be a messenger from God.
(d) He might be a messenger from the devil.
2. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
(b) They travel together to protect each other.
(c) They take off their cloaks and hats.
(d) They split up into small groups.
3. When assigned the part of a Jew, what does Ernie refuse to do?
(a) Order the crucifixion of Christ.
(b) Rob a store.
(c) Throw stones at Ilse.
(d) Pick pockets.
4. What did the Jewish elders find worst about World War I?
(a) Jews might be killed by Christians.
(b) Jews might kill each other.
(c) Jews might be barred from Israel.
(d) Jews might be exempt from fighting.
5. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do to his fellow villagers?
(a) He rescued them all.
(b) He killed them all.
(c) He buried them all.
(d) He deserted them all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
2. Who is Woden?
3. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
4. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
5. Who are the Pimpfe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
2. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
3. Why does Ernie compare himself to a cat?
4. To what does Ernie attribute Golda's modest wishes?
5. Why does the French army captain think that Ernie should not be allowed to continue as a soldier?
6. What does Ernie's act of stepping forward to protest the treatment of Frau Tuszynski cause Mordecai to do?
7. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
8. Why does Mordecai say it would be useless to leave Germany?
9. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
10. What part does the music of the band play in the successful extermination of the Jews?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)