|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Benjamin attempt to give the villagers but finds he cannot?
(a) Free mending.
(c) A joke.
2. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
(a) He ran away from them and hid.
(b) He threw stones at them.
(c) He fainted from fear.
(d) He ran to join them.
3. What mysterious affliction hit Benjamin when Judith and Mordecai came to Stillenstadt?
(a) A fever.
(b) A headache.
(c) A silence.
(d) A mental confusion.
4. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
(b) Stay in his room.
(c) Run away.
5. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) All humanity would be forced to improve.
(b) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
(c) All humanity would bear its own grief.
(d) All humanity would die.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
2. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
3. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
4. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
5. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
2. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
3. How does Benjamin successfully market himself as a tailor?
4. Why does Judith object to Mordecai telling stories to Ernie?
5. What causes Ernie to feel hatred for the first time?
6. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
7. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
8. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
9. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
10. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)