|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
(a) A peasant.
(b) The grocer's wife.
(c) The constable.
(d) A Nazi officer.
2. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
(b) They split up into small groups.
(c) They travel together to protect each other.
(d) They take off their cloaks and hats.
3. From which group of children is Ernie separated?
(a) Aryans and Jews.
4. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
(a) He stabs them.
(b) He kicks them.
(c) He bites them.
(d) He tricks them.
5. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
(b) All humanity would bear its own grief.
(c) All humanity would die.
(d) All humanity would be forced to improve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
2. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
3. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
4. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
5. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
2. Why did others regard Mordecai as a fallen Levy?
3. When Hitler becomes Chancellor of the Reich, what decision of her own does Judith regret?
4. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
5. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
6. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
7. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
8. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
9. What qualities of character does Brother Beast possess?
10. Why doesn't Ernie sing with his class when Herr Geek orders him to do so?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)