|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
(a) He claimed to charge the lowest prices.
(b) He claimed to make his customers "Gentlemen of Berlin."
(c) He claimed to make old clothes like new.
(d) He claimed to know the latest styles.
2. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
3. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
4. What keeps Ernie from success in committing suicide?
(a) Fear of death.
(b) The absence of pain.
(c) The sense that he is already nothing.
(d) Love of his family.
5. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
(a) Soaking them in honey and giving them to him to suck on.
(b) Cutting them out of sandpaper so they can be felt.
(c) Shaping cookies into their shapes.
(d) Drawing them on common household objects.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
2. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
3. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
4. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
5. What does Moritz love best as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
2. When Hitler becomes Chancellor of the Reich, what decision of her own does Judith regret?
3. What does Ernie think as he is surrounded by the Pimpfe bullies?
4. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
5. How does Benjamin successfully market himself as a tailor?
6. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
7. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
8. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
9. How does Judith recognize Mordecai as a Just Man?
10. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)