|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Mordecai hears them.
(b) Benjamin hears them.
(c) Judith hears them.
(d) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
2. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They travel together to protect each other.
(b) They take off their cloaks and hats.
(c) They split up into small groups.
(d) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
3. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
(a) Drawing them on common household objects.
(b) Soaking them in honey and giving them to him to suck on.
(c) Shaping cookies into their shapes.
(d) Cutting them out of sandpaper so they can be felt.
4. What did Jews have to do to save their lives in York in 1185?
(a) Acknowledge the passion of Jesus Christ.
(b) Evacuate the synagogue.
(c) Learn to speak English.
(d) Cut their hair.
5. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
(a) Dress like the rest of the population.
(b) Worship at home.
(c) Cut off earlocks.
(d) Learn to speak better German.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
2. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
3. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
4. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
5. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What drama takes place between Judith and Fraulein Blumenthal as children are born?
2. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
3. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
4. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
5. Why does Herr Geek see the Jews as a threat to Germany?
6. Why is Jacob not consoled when Ernie promises to "spring" at the Hitler Youth if they bother the little boy?
7. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
8. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
9. What does Ernie's act of stepping forward to protest the treatment of Frau Tuszynski cause Mordecai to do?
10. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)