Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had a professor from Berlin found under the moss of the rock?
(a) A swastika.
(b) An autograph of an ancient saint.
(c) A pictograph of horses.
(d) A jewel.
2. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(a) Redeem his people.
(c) Work to save the world.
(d) Become wise.
3. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
(a) He claimed to make his customers "Gentlemen of Berlin."
(b) He claimed to know the latest styles.
(c) He claimed to make old clothes like new.
(d) He claimed to charge the lowest prices.
4. What did the Jewish elders find worst about World War I?
(a) Jews might kill each other.
(b) Jews might be barred from Israel.
(c) Jews might be exempt from fighting.
(d) Jews might be killed by Christians.
5. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
(a) He dug a tunnel.
(b) He killed them.
(c) He disguised them.
(d) He offered to take their place at the stake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Woden?
2. When assigned the part of a Jew, what does Ernie refuse to do?
3. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
4. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
5. What does Herr Kremer believe is more powerful than politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the old men of The Association of Zemyock say it is useless to do with any Levy?
2. Why are the old men of The Association of Zemyock surprised that Ernie has returned to them?
3. Why does Herr Geek see the Jews as a threat to Germany?
4. What drama takes place between Judith and Fraulein Blumenthal as children are born?
5. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
6. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
7. Why does Benjamin Levy say that to be a Jew is impossible?
8. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
9. Why does Judith tell the government offices from which she secures provisions that they should thank her?
10. Why does Ernie decide he does not want to join the movements that are fighting back against the Nazis?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)