|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
(a) The mind of God.
(b) The balance between good and evil.
(c) The understanding of mankind.
2. Who overruns and destroys the Levys' village?
3. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
(a) He killed them.
(b) He offered to take their place at the stake.
(c) He dug a tunnel.
(d) He disguised them.
4. What does Yankel, the young Galician, tell Benjamin happens to his tongue?
(a) It speaks velvet words.
(b) It becomes confused and stumbles.
(c) It tells only lies.
(d) It cuts someone each time it speaks.
5. Why does Mordecai say their hearts are not entirely Jewish?
(a) They feel happy.
(b) They are not afraid.
(c) They are literate.
(d) They feel at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
2. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
3. What mysterious affliction hit Benjamin when Judith and Mordecai came to Stillenstadt?
4. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
5. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judith blame herself for the death of three of her sons?
2. What does Ernie's act of stepping forward to protest the treatment of Frau Tuszynski cause Mordecai to do?
3. Why does Herr Geek see the Jews as a threat to Germany?
4. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
5. Why doesn't Ernie sing with his class when Herr Geek orders him to do so?
6. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
7. Why is Jacob not consoled when Ernie promises to "spring" at the Hitler Youth if they bother the little boy?
8. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
9. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
10. What drama takes place between Judith and Fraulein Blumenthal as children are born?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)