|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who defends Ernie against the accusations of the grocer's wife?
(d) Fraulein Blumenthal.
2. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(a) Salute Hitler.
(c) Pledge allegiance.
3. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(b) They have become like Germans.
(c) They have become impervious to pain.
(d) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
4. What did Jews have to do to save their lives in York in 1185?
(a) Acknowledge the passion of Jesus Christ.
(b) Learn to speak English.
(c) Cut their hair.
(d) Evacuate the synagogue.
5. What did the Jewish elders find worst about World War I?
(a) Jews might be barred from Israel.
(b) Jews might kill each other.
(c) Jews might be killed by Christians.
(d) Jews might be exempt from fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
2. Who overruns and destroys the Levys' village?
3. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
4. What does a Just Man do with the pain of others, according to Mordecai?
5. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
2. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
3. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
4. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
5. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
6. What does Ernie's act of stepping forward to protest the treatment of Frau Tuszynski cause Mordecai to do?
7. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
8. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
9. Why does Judith blame herself for the death of three of her sons?
10. What does Ernie think as he is surrounded by the Pimpfe bullies?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)