|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(a) Work to save the world.
(b) Redeem his people.
(c) Become wise.
2. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
(a) He wants to impress Ilse.
(b) He believes it is a Just Man's duty to endure pain.
(c) He accepts it as his lot in life.
(d) The events do not seem real to him.
3. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
(a) He is illiterate, and he loves no one.
(b) He is illiterate and cannot speak.
(c) He is illiterate and loves plants and animals more than people.
(d) He is illiterate, and he's cruel to people.
4. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(a) Salute Hitler.
(c) Pledge allegiance.
5. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
(a) To follow his brother Moritz.
(b) To have playmates.
(c) To be near Ilse Bruckner.
(d) He loves fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
2. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
3. How does the Just Man designate Benjamin as his heir?
4. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
5. What does Herr Kremer believe about children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
2. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
3. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
4. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
5. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
6. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
7. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
8. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
9. Why does Herr Geek see the Jews as a threat to Germany?
10. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)