|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the village upset when Chaim Levy has more than one son?
(a) They cannot care for more than one Just Man.
(b) It shows that their village does not deserve a Just Man.
(c) It proves that Chaim Levy is not a Just Man.
(d) They will not know which was the Just Man.
2. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
(a) He poisons himself.
(b) He cuts himself.
(c) He burns himself.
(d) He chokes himself.
3. Why does Mordecai say their hearts are not entirely Jewish?
(a) They feel at home.
(b) They are literate.
(c) They are not afraid.
(d) They feel happy.
4. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
(a) The balance between good and evil.
(c) The mind of God.
(d) The understanding of mankind.
5. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
(a) Soaking them in honey and giving them to him to suck on.
(b) Cutting them out of sandpaper so they can be felt.
(c) Shaping cookies into their shapes.
(d) Drawing them on common household objects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is each generation's joking response to "Let us speak of something gay"?
2. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
3. How does Benjamin believe his success in business has helped his fellow Jews?
4. Why does Ernie decide that he cannot be a Just Man as he cleans his wounds after the bullying?
5. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judith object to Mordecai telling stories to Ernie?
2. What drama takes place between Judith and Fraulein Blumenthal as children are born?
3. Why is Jacob not consoled when Ernie promises to "spring" at the Hitler Youth if they bother the little boy?
4. Why doesn't Ernie sing with his class when Herr Geek orders him to do so?
5. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
6. What does Ernie think as he is surrounded by the Pimpfe bullies?
7. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
8. What does Benjamin imagine will happen to the Jews as they become acquainted with Germans?
9. What "mysterious" change takes place in Benjamin after Mordecai and Judith join him in Stillenstadt?
10. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)