|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the village upset when Chaim Levy has more than one son?
(a) They cannot care for more than one Just Man.
(b) It shows that their village does not deserve a Just Man.
(c) They will not know which was the Just Man.
(d) It proves that Chaim Levy is not a Just Man.
2. Who defends Ernie against the accusations of the grocer's wife?
(b) Fraulein Blumenthal.
3. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(b) Salute Hitler.
(d) Pledge allegiance.
4. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
(a) To be his steady girlfriend.
(b) To make him pay.
(c) To meet him by the school.
(d) To tell his mother.
5. According to Mordecai, why does a Just Man never have to run after suffering?
(a) It will elude him.
(b) It comes to him without being called.
(c) It is not assigned to Just Men.
(d) It will run away faster than he can chase it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mordecai determine to teach Ernie while Ernie is still young?
2. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
3. What were the Levys never able to identify about the Just Man in their family?
4. What does Benjamin send Ernie out of the tailor shop to find?
5. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hitler becomes Chancellor of the Reich, what decision of her own does Judith regret?
2. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
3. How does Judith recognize Mordecai as a Just Man?
4. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
5. What does Ernie have in common with the German boy he meets when he runs away from home?
6. What causes Ernie to feel hatred for the first time?
7. What does Ernie think when he feels no pain from the bumps and gashes he has suffered?
8. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
9. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
10. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)