|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
(a) The constable.
(b) A Nazi officer.
(c) A peasant.
(d) The grocer's wife.
2. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
(a) Hans Schliemann.
(b) No one.
(c) The red-haired boy.
(d) Ilse Bruckner.
3. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They travel together to protect each other.
(b) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
(c) They split up into small groups.
(d) They take off their cloaks and hats.
4. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
(a) They are persecuted on behalf of the whole world.
(b) They are holier than other people.
(c) They are wiser through suffering than other peoples.
(d) They are cursed by God.
5. How does Chaim Levy attract the children of the village where he lives?
(a) With candy and nuts.
(b) With promises of treats.
(c) With ancient stories.
(d) With threats of disaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
2. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
3. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
4. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
5. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do to his fellow villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
2. Why does Judith object to Mordecai telling stories to Ernie?
3. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
4. Why is Jacob not consoled when Ernie promises to "spring" at the Hitler Youth if they bother the little boy?
5. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
6. What things does Mordecai believe to be incomprehensible?
7. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
8. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
9. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
10. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)