|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
(a) Work harder than others.
(c) Agree to accept half wages.
(d) Walk many miles to work.
2. What does Mordecai do in response to Ernie's act of heroism in protecting Frau Tuszynski?
(a) Mordecai tells Ernie that they will leave Stillenstadt.
(b) Mordecai tells Ernie the history of the Just Men.
(c) Mordecai tells Ernie that he is proud of him.
(d) Mordecai tells Ernie that he is ashamed of him.
3. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
4. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
(a) A contagion from the Germans.
(b) A change of blood.
(c) A sign from God.
(d) A cleansing force.
5. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
(a) He stabs them.
(b) He bites them.
(c) He kicks them.
(d) He tricks them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
2. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
3. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
4. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
5. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie do to ease the emptiness in his heart after the beating?
2. Why does Judith object to Mordecai telling stories to Ernie?
3. What does Benjamin imagine will happen to the Jews as they become acquainted with Germans?
4. How does Mordecai answer the question of why the Just Man dies in bed, rather than in martyrdom?
5. Why does Judith blame herself for the death of three of her sons?
6. What causes Ernie to feel hatred for the first time?
7. Why does Yankel, the Galician, advise Benjamin to get out of Berlin?
8. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
9. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
10. Why does Herr Geek see the Jews as a threat to Germany?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)