|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the Levys never able to identify about the Just Man in their family?
(a) The identifying features of a Just Man in childhood.
(b) The way to treat a Just Man.
(c) The signs by which God made his choice.
(d) The purpose of a Just man.
2. What is Benjamin Levy's occupation?
(a) A peddler.
(b) A crystal maker.
(c) A tailor.
(d) A baker.
3. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Mordecai hears them.
(b) Judith hears them.
(c) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
(d) Benjamin hears them.
4. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Become a baker.
(c) Become a crystal worker.
(d) Move to Zemyock.
5. What is each generation's joking response to "Let us speak of something gay"?
(a) What's new with the Jews?
(b) What's new about the war?
(c) What do you hear about the plague?
(d) How is the Inquisition going?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benjamin send Ernie out of the tailor shop to find?
2. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
3. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
4. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
5. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rationale does Rabbi Yom Tov Levy offer for the mass murder and suicide he instigates?
2. Why does Ilse Bruckner have to end her relationship with her friend Ernie?
3. What is the role of the Lamed-Vov, the Just Men?
4. Why do Mordecai and Judith decide that Benjamin is like a mosquito?
5. Why doesn't Ernie sing with his class when Herr Geek orders him to do so?
6. How is Benjamin received by the Jews in Stillenstadt?
7. How does the child Ernie come to feel that he is in charge of those around him?
8. What solution does Moritz think would relieve the Jews of the danger involved in going to the synagogue.
9. Why is Jacob not consoled when Ernie promises to "spring" at the Hitler Youth if they bother the little boy?
10. What does Herr Kremer mean when he says the child is descended from the man?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)