|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the SS officer suspect Ernie of doing?
(a) Spying for the Russians.
(b) Spying for the Americans.
(c) Trying to get a message out from the camp.
(d) Trying to carry a message into the camp.
2. Why does Judith tell their donors that they should thank her?
(a) God will repay them fifty times.
(b) God will repay them twice over.
(c) God will repay them a hundredfold.
(d) God will repay them tenfold.
3. In a letter, what does Benjamin Levy tell his soldier son that being a Jew is?
(a) An honor.
4. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
(a) Everything that had happened to the Levy family.
(b) Everything that had happened to him.
(c) Every form of mental and physical distress.
(d) Everything that had happened to Just Men.
5. What was the "Final Solution"?
(a) Extermination of the Jews.
(b) Rescue of the Jews.
(c) Acceptance of the Jews.
(d) Deportation of the Jews.
6. What does Ernie smell as he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) Organic matter burning.
(b) Burning rubber.
(c) Food cooking.
7. What musical instrument does Golda play?
(a) The piano.
(b) The harmonica.
(c) The harp.
(d) The violin.
8. What penance does Ernie impose upon himself for not loving the farmer's wife who took him in?
(a) Doing all the farm work.
(b) Displaying great passion.
(c) Refusing her good cooking.
(d) Being kind.
9. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(a) Gas masks.
(b) Ear plugs.
10. What kind of dogs do the SS officers bring with them to help manage the people in the boxcars?
(a) Bulldogs and bloodhounds.
(b) Bloodhounds and rottweilers.
(c) Pincers and mastiffs.
(d) German shepherds.
11. What does Ernie call the members of The Association that pleases them?
(b) Just Men.
12. What did many Jews believe would happen to them at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be granted homesteads.
(b) They would be allowed a fresh start.
(c) They would be killed.
(d) They would be shipped to Israel.
13. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
(a) They are deported.
(b) They are delivered to Nazi extermination camps.
(c) They are set free.
(d) They are shot.
14. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
(a) Made it something to hope for.
(b) Made it a symbol of peace.
(c) Turned it into a sword.
(d) Made it a symbol of hatred.
15. What are Ernie's first words as he comes to life in the hospital?
(a) "Everything will be all right."
(b) "Be careful. They're deceiving you."
(c) "The world is going to rack and ruin."
(d) "Things are not what they seem."
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
2. What did the Nazi officer do with Golda's musical instrument?
3. What do the Jews continue to do in 1943 despite ever-increasing danger?
4. Why did Ernie decide not to join the protest movements?
5. What is Ernie unable to determine about the children who crowd around him in the boxcar?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)