|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herschel Grynszpan do that affects all Jews in Germany?
(a) Shoots his mother and his father.
(b) Shoots a Nazi officer.
(c) Attempts to shoot the Fuehrer.
(d) Shoots the secretary of the German embassy in Paris.
2. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and dormitories."
(b) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(c) "To the baths and inhalations."
(d) "To the baths and dining hall."
3. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
(a) Pity that turned to happiness.
(b) Sorrow that turned to Pity.
(c) Sorry that turned to happiness.
(d) Pity that turned to sorrow.
4. What actually awaited the Jews at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be killed.
(b) They would be granted homesteads.
(c) They would be shipped to Israel.
(d) They would be allowed a fresh start.
5. Why did Ernie decide not to join the protest movements?
(a) He was afraid.
(b) He didn't want to glorify himself.
(c) He couldn't believe the danger would reach him.
(d) He wanted to die.
6. What happens to hundreds of German Jewish boys in 1934?
(a) They committ suicide.
(b) They convert to Christianity.
(c) They form gangs.
(d) They flee the country.
7. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
(a) Crystal maker.
(b) Machine operator.
(c) Bicycle messenger.
(d) Apprentice tailor.
8. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
(a) It became flabby.
(b) It became thinner.
(c) It became droopy.
(d) It became unrecognizeable.
9. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
(a) He has died and gone to heaven.
(b) He has returned to Stillenstadt.
(c) He is being married.
(d) He is a child at home.
10. Why did the Jews in Germany not believe the warning signs of their destruction?
(a) They did not believe that human beings could behave like the Nazis.
(b) They believed their suffering served an ultimate purpose.
(c) They believed God would ultimately rescue them.
(d) They did not believe the Nazis would lie.
11. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
(a) Wait to be killed.
(b) Leave the room.
(c) Put identification in their mouths.
(d) Turn in their personal possessions.
12. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
(a) The geese.
(b) The horses.
(c) The chickens.
(d) The dogs.
13. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
(a) They are deported.
(b) They are set free.
(c) They are delivered to Nazi extermination camps.
(d) They are shot.
14. What does Ernie agree to do with The Association?
(a) Sign up to join.
(b) Live with them.
(c) Go to their dances.
(d) Publicize their meetings.
15. What does Ernie believe is written on his face?
(a) The hope of the Jewish people.
(b) The future of the Jewish people.
(c) The death of the Jewish people.
(d) The evacuation of the Jewish people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
2. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
3. What does Ernie pray will be taken from his heart on his dream wedding day?
4. How does Benjamin view Jewish suffering?
5. Why does Ernie think that he has the soul of a cat?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)