|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
2. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
(a) One leg is shorter.
(b) One foot is larger.
(c) One hand is paralyzed.
(d) One arm is longer.
3. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
(a) Made it a symbol of peace.
(b) Turned it into a sword.
(c) Made it something to hope for.
(d) Made it a symbol of hatred.
4. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
(a) Pity that turned to happiness.
(b) Sorry that turned to happiness.
(c) Sorrow that turned to Pity.
(d) Pity that turned to sorrow.
5. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
(a) The yellow star that shows he is a Jew.
(b) A new cap.
(c) Clothing for the old men.
(d) A cloth for the synagogue.
6. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
(a) A dog.
(b) A fly.
(c) Lord of the flies.
(d) A flea.
7. What is Vernichtungswissenschaft?
(a) The science of cleansing.
(b) The science of torture.
(c) The science of biology.
(d) The science of massacre.
8. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) There would be Nazi retribution.
(b) He would be executed.
(c) Police would search everywhere for him.
(d) They would be deported.
9. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(b) Gas masks.
(c) Ear plugs.
10. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
(a) To cultivate his lowest instincts.
(b) To cultivate his highest instincts.
(c) To become a civilized man.
(d) To behave as a Just Man.
11. How does Mordecai view Jewish suffering?
(a) As mankind's sacrificial offering to God.
(b) As the triumph of the wicked.
(c) As retribution for sin.
(d) As senseless torment.
12. What was Ernie's assignment in the French army?
(b) Calvary man.
(d) Stretcher bearer.
13. Why is it easy to find work in the Rhone Valley in 1942?
(a) The area is industrializing.
(b) There are no men left in the countryside.
(c) It is a year of abundant crops.
(d) Many towns and villages are rebuilding.
14. What kind of dogs do the SS officers bring with them to help manage the people in the boxcars?
(a) Bloodhounds and rottweilers.
(b) Bulldogs and bloodhounds.
(c) Pincers and mastiffs.
(d) German shepherds.
15. In a letter, what does Benjamin Levy tell his soldier son that being a Jew is?
(d) An honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did many Jews believe would happen to them at Pichipoi?
2. Why did Ernie decide not to join the protest movements?
3. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
4. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
5. As they breathed the gas, when did Ernie promise Golda he would see her?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)