|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
(a) They are shot.
(b) They are deported.
(c) They are set free.
(d) They are delivered to Nazi extermination camps.
2. What do Golda and Ernie decide there is no time left to do?
(a) Tell their families about their wedding.
(b) Set up a canopy for their wedding.
(c) Find a rabbi to marry them.
(d) Invite their friends to their wedding.
3. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
(a) Pity that turned to sorrow.
(b) Pity that turned to happiness.
(c) Sorrow that turned to Pity.
(d) Sorry that turned to happiness.
4. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) He weeps blood.
(b) His ears bleed.
(c) His wounds bleed.
(d) He sweats blood.
5. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
(a) It became thinner.
(b) It became unrecognizeable.
(c) It became flabby.
(d) It became droopy.
6. What was Golda's impossible desire?
(a) To walk through Paris with Ernie without their stars.
(b) To eat all the fruit she wanted.
(c) To have a Paris designer gown.
(d) To leave Europe altogether.
7. What does Ernie believe is the most painful foretaste of death?
(a) Being misunderstood.
(c) Being disrespected.
(d) Separation from a loved one.
8. What does Ernie realizes he lacks when he enters the street in his dream?
9. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
(b) Make breathing easier.
(c) Prevent pain.
(d) Free them from this world.
10. In his wedding dream, what shows up at the windows?
11. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
(a) An imposter.
(b) A genius.
(c) An unknown Just Man.
(d) A Just Man of the Levy family.
12. Why is it easy to find work in the Rhone Valley in 1942?
(a) Many towns and villages are rebuilding.
(b) The area is industrializing.
(c) It is a year of abundant crops.
(d) There are no men left in the countryside.
13. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
(a) He is being married.
(b) He has returned to Stillenstadt.
(c) He is a child at home.
(d) He has died and gone to heaven.
14. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
15. What does Ernie call the members of The Association that pleases them?
(c) Just Men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
2. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
3. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
4. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
5. What unusual request does Ernie make of the gendarmes in Drancy?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)