|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernie respond when reprimanded by the doctor for telling the children their experience was just a dream?
(a) "This is actually just a dream."
(b) "These children deserve some peace."
(c) "My words will come to pass."
(d) "There is no room for truth here."
2. Why is it easy to find work in the Rhone Valley in 1942?
(a) Many towns and villages are rebuilding.
(b) It is a year of abundant crops.
(c) There are no men left in the countryside.
(d) The area is industrializing.
3. What does Ernie believe is written on his face?
(a) The future of the Jewish people.
(b) The evacuation of the Jewish people.
(c) The death of the Jewish people.
(d) The hope of the Jewish people.
4. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(b) "To the baths and dining hall."
(c) "To the baths and dormitories."
(d) "To the baths and inhalations."
5. Why does Ernie think that he has the soul of a cat?
(a) He must be killed nine times before he dies.
(b) He is elusive by nature.
(c) He is a wanderer by nature.
(d) He feels no affection for humans.
6. What do the Jews of Proskurov do to save themselves from persecution?
(a) Dig tunnels.
(b) Store food.
(c) Cry out for seven nights.
(d) Arm themselves.
7. What does Ernie pray will be taken from his heart on his dream wedding day?
(a) All sorrow.
(b) All Christian influence.
(c) All hatred.
(d) All desire for revenge.
8. What does the aide request of the SS officer?
(a) Permission to leave the room during the interrogation.
(b) Permission to laugh.
(c) Permission to torture Ernie.
(d) Permission to cry.
9. In his wedding dream, what shows up at the windows?
10. Why did the Jews in Germany not believe the warning signs of their destruction?
(a) They believed God would ultimately rescue them.
(b) They did not believe the Nazis would lie.
(c) They did not believe that human beings could behave like the Nazis.
(d) They believed their suffering served an ultimate purpose.
11. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(c) Gas masks.
(d) Ear plugs.
12. In a letter, what does Benjamin Levy tell his soldier son that being a Jew is?
(c) An honor.
13. What does Herschel Grynszpan do that affects all Jews in Germany?
(a) Shoots the secretary of the German embassy in Paris.
(b) Shoots his mother and his father.
(c) Shoots a Nazi officer.
(d) Attempts to shoot the Fuehrer.
14. In the hospital, what does Ernie pray to God to do?
(a) Destroy the Nazis.
(b) Bring the Messiah.
(c) Save his family.
(d) Change the government.
15. Why did Ernie decide not to join the protest movements?
(a) He wanted to die.
(b) He was afraid.
(c) He didn't want to glorify himself.
(d) He couldn't believe the danger would reach him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie realizes he lacks when he enters the street in his dream?
2. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
3. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
4. What does the SS aide say that Ernie's case reminds him of?
5. What is the last thing Ernie promises the children?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)