|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
(a) Lord of the flies.
(b) A fly.
(c) A dog.
(d) A flea.
2. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
(a) Clothing for the old men.
(b) The yellow star that shows he is a Jew.
(c) A new cap.
(d) A cloth for the synagogue.
3. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
(a) They are shot.
(b) They are delivered to Nazi extermination camps.
(c) They are deported.
(d) They are set free.
4. Why did the Jews in Germany not believe the warning signs of their destruction?
(a) They did not believe that human beings could behave like the Nazis.
(b) They believed God would ultimately rescue them.
(c) They believed their suffering served an ultimate purpose.
(d) They did not believe the Nazis would lie.
5. In his wedding dream, what shows up at the windows?
6. What does Ernie do to get the attention of the military in Drancy?
(a) Tears off his gold star.
(b) Demands admission to the camp.
(c) Faints in the street.
(d) Attacks an officer.
7. How does Benjamin view Jewish suffering?
(a) As mankind's sacrificial offering to God.
(b) As retribution for sin.
(c) As the triumph of the wicked.
(d) As senseless torment.
8. What does Ernie's moustache cause him to resemble?
(a) A hound.
(b) A St. Bernard.
(c) A Great Dane.
(d) A poodle.
9. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
(a) One hand is paralyzed.
(b) One foot is larger.
(c) One leg is shorter.
(d) One arm is longer.
10. What is in the bridal chamber when Ernie and Golda first enter in Ernie's dream?
(a) A rooster and a fish.
(b) Doves and butterflies.
(c) A canopied bed.
(d) A sewing machine, a bundle, and a cot.
11. What was the "Final Solution"?
(a) Rescue of the Jews.
(b) Extermination of the Jews.
(c) Deportation of the Jews.
(d) Acceptance of the Jews.
12. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
(a) She isn't pretty enough.
(b) She is stronger than they were.
(c) Her older brother was coming to protect her.
(d) They were about to leave.
13. What are Ernie's first words as he comes to life in the hospital?
(a) "Things are not what they seem."
(b) "Be careful. They're deceiving you."
(c) "Everything will be all right."
(d) "The world is going to rack and ruin."
14. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) They would be deported.
(b) He would be executed.
(c) Police would search everywhere for him.
(d) There would be Nazi retribution.
15. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
(a) He has returned to Stillenstadt.
(b) He has died and gone to heaven.
(c) He is a child at home.
(d) He is being married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a brioche?
2. What was Ernie's assignment in the French army?
3. Where did Ernie find work in 1943?
4. What does Ernie believe is the most painful foretaste of death?
5. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)