|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
(a) Put identification in their mouths.
(b) Leave the room.
(c) Wait to be killed.
(d) Turn in their personal possessions.
2. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
(a) To become a civilized man.
(b) To cultivate his highest instincts.
(c) To cultivate his lowest instincts.
(d) To behave as a Just Man.
3. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
(a) Siestas and delirium.
(b) Fasting, temperance, and writing poetry.
(c) Overindulgence and misery.
(d) Vulnerability and heartbreak.
4. How does Ernie respond when reprimanded by the doctor for telling the children their experience was just a dream?
(a) "This is actually just a dream."
(b) "These children deserve some peace."
(c) "My words will come to pass."
(d) "There is no room for truth here."
5. What word do the members of The Association of Old Zenyock have trouble pronouncing?
6. What musical instrument does Golda play?
(a) The harmonica.
(b) The harp.
(c) The piano.
(d) The violin.
7. What actually awaited the Jews at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be killed.
(b) They would be shipped to Israel.
(c) They would be granted homesteads.
(d) They would be allowed a fresh start.
8. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
(a) Their valuables and papers.
(b) Their suitcases and clothing.
(c) Their soap and toiletries.
(d) Their identification.
9. Why does Ernie think that he has the soul of a cat?
(a) He must be killed nine times before he dies.
(b) He feels no affection for humans.
(c) He is a wanderer by nature.
(d) He is elusive by nature.
10. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
(a) Clearing forests.
(b) Building bridges.
(c) Building houses and roads.
(d) Building offices and apartments.
11. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
(a) Ernie is not French.
(b) Pierre is coming home.
(c) An Israelite is a Jew.
(d) Ernie is an Israelite.
12. What do Golda and Ernie decide there is no time left to do?
(a) Set up a canopy for their wedding.
(b) Invite their friends to their wedding.
(c) Find a rabbi to marry them.
(d) Tell their families about their wedding.
13. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
(a) An imposter.
(b) A genius.
(c) An unknown Just Man.
(d) A Just Man of the Levy family.
14. What does Mario eat while he is living as a dog?
(a) He refuses to eat.
(b) Bread and water.
(d) Raw meat.
15. What was the "Final Solution"?
(a) Acceptance of the Jews.
(b) Rescue of the Jews.
(c) Deportation of the Jews.
(d) Extermination of the Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ernie unable to determine about the children who crowd around him in the boxcar?
2. What kind of dogs do the SS officers bring with them to help manage the people in the boxcars?
3. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
4. How does Benjamin view Jewish suffering?
5. In a letter, what does Benjamin Levy tell his soldier son that being a Jew is?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)