|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the members of The Association say it is useless to push a Levy?
(a) They are stronger than others.
(b) They will fall all by themselves.
(c) They are already down.
(d) They can fly all by themselves.
2. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Turn in their personal possessions.
(c) Wait to be killed.
(d) Put identification in their mouths.
3. What does Ernie smell as he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) Burning rubber.
(b) Organic matter burning.
(c) Food cooking.
4. What does Ernie's moustache cause him to resemble?
(a) A hound.
(b) A St. Bernard.
(c) A poodle.
(d) A Great Dane.
5. To the Germans the Levys are Jews, but what are they to the French?
(c) Illegal immigrants.
6. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
(a) Her older brother was coming to protect her.
(b) She isn't pretty enough.
(c) They were about to leave.
(d) She is stronger than they were.
7. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) He would be executed.
(b) There would be Nazi retribution.
(c) Police would search everywhere for him.
(d) They would be deported.
8. What do Golda and Ernie decide there is no time left to do?
(a) Find a rabbi to marry them.
(b) Set up a canopy for their wedding.
(c) Tell their families about their wedding.
(d) Invite their friends to their wedding.
9. What animal does Ernie ultimately dream he becomes?
(a) A cockroach.
(b) A rat.
(c) An amoeba.
(d) A snail.
10. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
(a) Fasting, temperance, and writing poetry.
(b) Siestas and delirium.
(c) Overindulgence and misery.
(d) Vulnerability and heartbreak.
11. What did the Nazi officer do with Golda's musical instrument?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Stamped on it.
(c) Returned it to her.
(d) Taken it with him.
12. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) He weeps blood.
(b) His ears bleed.
(c) His wounds bleed.
(d) He sweats blood.
13. What is a brioche?
(a) A beard.
(b) A sweet roll.
(c) A jowl.
(d) A paunchy belly.
14. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
(a) Building offices and apartments.
(b) Clearing forests.
(c) Building houses and roads.
(d) Building bridges.
15. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
(a) They are set free.
(b) They are delivered to Nazi extermination camps.
(c) They are shot.
(d) They are deported.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
2. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
3. What is Ernie unable to determine about the children who crowd around him in the boxcar?
4. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
5. What does Ernie do to get the attention of the military in Drancy?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)