|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
(a) She isn't pretty enough.
(b) They were about to leave.
(c) Her older brother was coming to protect her.
(d) She is stronger than they were.
2. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and dining hall."
(b) "To the baths and inhalations."
(c) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(d) "To the baths and dormitories."
3. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
(a) A new cap.
(b) A cloth for the synagogue.
(c) Clothing for the old men.
(d) The yellow star that shows he is a Jew.
4. What was Ernie's assignment in the French army?
(a) Stretcher bearer.
(c) Calvary man.
5. What does the SS aide say that Ernie's case reminds him of?
(a) Those who request torture.
(b) Those who avoid torture.
(c) Those who are terrified of torture.
(d) Those who die under torture.
6. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
(a) To behave as a Just Man.
(b) To cultivate his lowest instincts.
(c) To become a civilized man.
(d) To cultivate his highest instincts.
7. What musical instrument does Golda play?
(a) The harmonica.
(b) The piano.
(c) The harp.
(d) The violin.
8. How does Benjamin view Jewish suffering?
(a) As retribution for sin.
(b) As senseless torment.
(c) As the triumph of the wicked.
(d) As mankind's sacrificial offering to God.
9. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
(a) Their suitcases and clothing.
(b) Their identification.
(c) Their valuables and papers.
(d) Their soap and toiletries.
10. What actually awaited the Jews at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be granted homesteads.
(b) They would be allowed a fresh start.
(c) They would be shipped to Israel.
(d) They would be killed.
11. In the hospital, what does Ernie pray to God to do?
(a) Bring the Messiah.
(b) Save his family.
(c) Destroy the Nazis.
(d) Change the government.
12. What was Golda's impossible desire?
(a) To eat all the fruit she wanted.
(b) To have a Paris designer gown.
(c) To leave Europe altogether.
(d) To walk through Paris with Ernie without their stars.
13. As they breathed the gas, when did Ernie promise Golda he would see her?
(b) In a little while.
(c) Before the end of the world.
(d) Before the night was over.
14. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Free them from this world.
(b) Prevent pain.
(c) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
(d) Make breathing easier.
15. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
(a) Pity that turned to sorrow.
(b) Pity that turned to happiness.
(c) Sorry that turned to happiness.
(d) Sorrow that turned to Pity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie do to get the attention of the military in Drancy?
2. How long does Ernie stay in the hospital?
3. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
4. How does Ernie respond when reprimanded by the doctor for telling the children their experience was just a dream?
5. What unusual request does Ernie make of the gendarmes in Drancy?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)