|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Ernie's first words as he comes to life in the hospital?
(a) "Things are not what they seem."
(b) "Everything will be all right."
(c) "The world is going to rack and ruin."
(d) "Be careful. They're deceiving you."
2. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
(a) An unknown Just Man.
(b) A genius.
(c) An imposter.
(d) A Just Man of the Levy family.
3. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
(a) Vulnerability and heartbreak.
(b) Overindulgence and misery.
(c) Fasting, temperance, and writing poetry.
(d) Siestas and delirium.
4. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and dormitories."
(b) "To the baths and dining hall."
(c) "To the baths and inhalations."
(d) "To the baths and cafeteria."
5. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
(a) Building bridges.
(b) Building houses and roads.
(c) Building offices and apartments.
(d) Clearing forests.
6. What is Ernie unable to determine about the children who crowd around him in the boxcar?
(a) If any of them are still alive.
(b) If any of them are still awake.
(c) If any of them hear him speaking.
(d) If any of them understand what he is saying.
7. What does Ernie believe is written on his face?
(a) The evacuation of the Jewish people.
(b) The future of the Jewish people.
(c) The death of the Jewish people.
(d) The hope of the Jewish people.
8. In a letter, what does Benjamin Levy tell his soldier son that being a Jew is?
(c) An honor.
9. Why does Ernie think that he has the soul of a cat?
(a) He is a wanderer by nature.
(b) He must be killed nine times before he dies.
(c) He is elusive by nature.
(d) He feels no affection for humans.
10. Ernie tells Golda that Jesus was _____________.
(a) A symbol of war and division.
(b) An innocent victim of men's greed.
(c) The first fascist.
(d) An old-fashioned Jewish Just Man.
11. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(a) Ear plugs.
(b) Gas masks.
12. How does the Levy family support itself in Paris at first?
(a) On state subsidies.
(b) On their savings.
(c) On Mordecai's crystal work.
(d) On Benjamin's tailoring.
13. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
(a) Machine operator.
(b) Apprentice tailor.
(c) Bicycle messenger.
(d) Crystal maker.
14. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
(a) "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."
(b) "It is better to live on our feet than die on our knees."
(c) "It is better to live than to die."
(d) "It is better to die on our feet than live on our knees."
15. What happens to hundreds of German Jewish boys in 1934?
(a) They flee the country.
(b) They form gangs.
(c) They convert to Christianity.
(d) They committ suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the members of The Association say it is useless to push a Levy?
2. What does Ernie's moustache cause him to resemble?
3. Why does Ernie decide he must leave the city of Marseilles?
4. What does the SS officer suspect Ernie of doing?
5. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)