|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the passengers in the freight car hoping for rain?
(a) They were overheated.
(b) They wanted to fill their canteens.
(c) They had no water.
(d) They hoped it would stop the car's progress.
2. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
(a) An imposter.
(b) A Just Man of the Levy family.
(c) A genius.
(d) An unknown Just Man.
3. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) He weeps blood.
(b) His wounds bleed.
(c) His ears bleed.
(d) He sweats blood.
4. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
(a) The geese.
(b) The chickens.
(c) The dogs.
(d) The horses.
5. How does Ernie respond when reprimanded by the doctor for telling the children their experience was just a dream?
(a) "This is actually just a dream."
(b) "These children deserve some peace."
(c) "There is no room for truth here."
(d) "My words will come to pass."
6. Why does Judith tell their donors that they should thank her?
(a) God will repay them fifty times.
(b) God will repay them tenfold.
(c) God will repay them twice over.
(d) God will repay them a hundredfold.
7. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) They would be deported.
(b) There would be Nazi retribution.
(c) He would be executed.
(d) Police would search everywhere for him.
8. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
(a) Her older brother was coming to protect her.
(b) She isn't pretty enough.
(c) They were about to leave.
(d) She is stronger than they were.
9. What is the last thing Ernie promises the children?
(a) They will not be imprisoned.
(b) He will keep them safe from harm.
(c) They will not be killed.
(d) He will go into the kingdom with them.
10. What actually awaited the Jews at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be shipped to Israel.
(b) They would be allowed a fresh start.
(c) They would be killed.
(d) They would be granted homesteads.
11. Why did the Jews in Germany not believe the warning signs of their destruction?
(a) They did not believe the Nazis would lie.
(b) They believed their suffering served an ultimate purpose.
(c) They believed God would ultimately rescue them.
(d) They did not believe that human beings could behave like the Nazis.
12. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
(a) They are set free.
(b) They are delivered to Nazi extermination camps.
(c) They are deported.
(d) They are shot.
13. Ernie tells Golda that Jesus was _____________.
(a) An old-fashioned Jewish Just Man.
(b) The first fascist.
(c) An innocent victim of men's greed.
(d) A symbol of war and division.
14. How does Mordecai view Jewish suffering?
(a) As the triumph of the wicked.
(b) As retribution for sin.
(c) As mankind's sacrificial offering to God.
(d) As senseless torment.
15. How does Benjamin view Jewish suffering?
(a) As mankind's sacrificial offering to God.
(b) As the triumph of the wicked.
(c) As senseless torment.
(d) As retribution for sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herschel Grynszpan do that affects all Jews in Germany?
2. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
3. How did the democracies of the world respond to German anti-semitism?
4. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
5. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)