|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Golda's impossible desire?
(a) To leave Europe altogether.
(b) To walk through Paris with Ernie without their stars.
(c) To eat all the fruit she wanted.
(d) To have a Paris designer gown.
2. What does Ernie agree to do with The Association?
(a) Publicize their meetings.
(b) Sign up to join.
(c) Live with them.
(d) Go to their dances.
3. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
(a) A fly.
(b) A dog.
(c) Lord of the flies.
(d) A flea.
4. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
(a) Fasting, temperance, and writing poetry.
(b) Overindulgence and misery.
(c) Siestas and delirium.
(d) Vulnerability and heartbreak.
5. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and inhalations."
(b) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(c) "To the baths and dining hall."
(d) "To the baths and dormitories."
6. What animal does Ernie ultimately dream he becomes?
(a) An amoeba.
(b) A rat.
(c) A snail.
(d) A cockroach.
7. As they breathed the gas, when did Ernie promise Golda he would see her?
(b) In a little while.
(c) Before the night was over.
(d) Before the end of the world.
8. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
(a) Turn in their personal possessions.
(b) Leave the room.
(c) Put identification in their mouths.
(d) Wait to be killed.
9. What do Golda and Ernie decide there is no time left to do?
(a) Set up a canopy for their wedding.
(b) Find a rabbi to marry them.
(c) Tell their families about their wedding.
(d) Invite their friends to their wedding.
10. How does Ernie respond when reprimanded by the doctor for telling the children their experience was just a dream?
(a) "These children deserve some peace."
(b) "This is actually just a dream."
(c) "There is no room for truth here."
(d) "My words will come to pass."
11. What does Ernie pray will be taken from his heart on his dream wedding day?
(a) All desire for revenge.
(b) All sorrow.
(c) All hatred.
(d) All Christian influence.
12. Where did Ernie find work in 1943?
(a) A crystal maker's.
(b) A furrier's.
(c) A tailor's.
(d) A baker's.
13. What does the aide request of the SS officer?
(a) Permission to laugh.
(b) Permission to cry.
(c) Permission to leave the room during the interrogation.
(d) Permission to torture Ernie.
14. What did many Jews believe would happen to them at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be killed.
(b) They would be allowed a fresh start.
(c) They would be granted homesteads.
(d) They would be shipped to Israel.
15. Why did Ernie decide not to join the protest movements?
(a) He was afraid.
(b) He didn't want to glorify himself.
(c) He wanted to die.
(d) He couldn't believe the danger would reach him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
2. How does Benjamin view Jewish suffering?
3. In his wedding dream, what shows up at the windows?
4. What did the Nazi officer do with Golda's musical instrument?
5. What does the SS aide say that Ernie's case reminds him of?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)