|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Jews in Germany not believe the warning signs of their destruction?
(a) They did not believe that human beings could behave like the Nazis.
(b) They believed God would ultimately rescue them.
(c) They believed their suffering served an ultimate purpose.
(d) They did not believe the Nazis would lie.
2. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
(a) He has returned to Stillenstadt.
(b) He is a child at home.
(c) He is being married.
(d) He has died and gone to heaven.
3. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) He would be executed.
(b) Police would search everywhere for him.
(c) They would be deported.
(d) There would be Nazi retribution.
4. What do Golda and Ernie decide there is no time left to do?
(a) Set up a canopy for their wedding.
(b) Tell their families about their wedding.
(c) Invite their friends to their wedding.
(d) Find a rabbi to marry them.
5. How does Mordecai view Jewish suffering?
(a) As retribution for sin.
(b) As the triumph of the wicked.
(c) As mankind's sacrificial offering to God.
(d) As senseless torment.
6. What did many Jews believe would happen to them at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be shipped to Israel.
(b) They would be allowed a fresh start.
(c) They would be killed.
(d) They would be granted homesteads.
7. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
(a) They are set free.
(b) They are deported.
(c) They are delivered to Nazi extermination camps.
(d) They are shot.
8. Why is it easy to find work in the Rhone Valley in 1942?
(a) There are no men left in the countryside.
(b) Many towns and villages are rebuilding.
(c) The area is industrializing.
(d) It is a year of abundant crops.
9. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
(a) It became unrecognizeable.
(b) It became thinner.
(c) It became flabby.
(d) It became droopy.
10. In the hospital, what does Ernie pray to God to do?
(a) Save his family.
(b) Change the government.
(c) Bring the Messiah.
(d) Destroy the Nazis.
11. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
(a) Clearing forests.
(b) Building offices and apartments.
(c) Building bridges.
(d) Building houses and roads.
12. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
(a) To cultivate his highest instincts.
(b) To become a civilized man.
(c) To cultivate his lowest instincts.
(d) To behave as a Just Man.
13. How did the SS officers calm and reassure the prisoners upon their arrival?
(a) Showed them their sleeping quarters.
(b) Gave them work assignments.
(c) Had a band play music for them.
(d) Gave them soup to eat.
14. What penance does Ernie impose upon himself for not loving the farmer's wife who took him in?
(a) Being kind.
(b) Displaying great passion.
(c) Refusing her good cooking.
(d) Doing all the farm work.
15. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
(a) Pierre is coming home.
(b) Ernie is an Israelite.
(c) Ernie is not French.
(d) An Israelite is a Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
2. What instrument did Ernie play in the regimental orchestra?
3. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
4. What does Ernie's moustache cause him to resemble?
5. What was Ernie's assignment in the French army?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)