|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What penance does Ernie impose upon himself for not loving the farmer's wife who took him in?
(a) Refusing her good cooking.
(b) Being kind.
(c) Doing all the farm work.
(d) Displaying great passion.
2. To the Germans the Levys are Jews, but what are they to the French?
(b) Illegal immigrants.
3. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
(a) Siestas and delirium.
(b) Overindulgence and misery.
(c) Fasting, temperance, and writing poetry.
(d) Vulnerability and heartbreak.
4. What does Ernie's moustache cause him to resemble?
(a) A St. Bernard.
(b) A hound.
(c) A poodle.
(d) A Great Dane.
5. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
(a) Building bridges.
(b) Building houses and roads.
(c) Clearing forests.
(d) Building offices and apartments.
6. Why does Ernie decide he must leave the city of Marseilles?
(a) He keeps getting in fights.
(b) He keeps falling in love.
(c) He is reminded of home.
(d) He is losing weight.
7. What does Ernie feel toward his whole family as he lies in the hospital bed?
8. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Prevent pain.
(b) Make breathing easier.
(c) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
(d) Free them from this world.
9. What do the Jews of Proskurov do to save themselves from persecution?
(a) Store food.
(b) Arm themselves.
(c) Cry out for seven nights.
(d) Dig tunnels.
10. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
(a) "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."
(b) "It is better to live on our feet than die on our knees."
(c) "It is better to live than to die."
(d) "It is better to die on our feet than live on our knees."
11. What does Ernie call the members of The Association that pleases them?
(d) Just Men.
12. Why were the passengers in the freight car hoping for rain?
(a) They hoped it would stop the car's progress.
(b) They were overheated.
(c) They had no water.
(d) They wanted to fill their canteens.
13. How does the Levy family support itself in Paris at first?
(a) On Mordecai's crystal work.
(b) On state subsidies.
(c) On Benjamin's tailoring.
(d) On their savings.
14. What was the "Final Solution"?
(a) Deportation of the Jews.
(b) Acceptance of the Jews.
(c) Extermination of the Jews.
(d) Rescue of the Jews.
15. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) There would be Nazi retribution.
(b) They would be deported.
(c) Police would search everywhere for him.
(d) He would be executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the SS officers calm and reassure the prisoners upon their arrival?
2. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
3. What does Ernie smell as he gets out of the boxcar?
4. What did many Jews believe would happen to them at Pichipoi?
5. In his wedding dream, what shows up at the windows?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)