|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Golda's impossible desire?
(a) To walk through Paris with Ernie without their stars.
(b) To have a Paris designer gown.
(c) To eat all the fruit she wanted.
(d) To leave Europe altogether.
2. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(b) "To the baths and dormitories."
(c) "To the baths and inhalations."
(d) "To the baths and dining hall."
3. What is in the bridal chamber when Ernie and Golda first enter in Ernie's dream?
(a) A sewing machine, a bundle, and a cot.
(b) Doves and butterflies.
(c) A canopied bed.
(d) A rooster and a fish.
4. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
(a) A dog.
(b) Lord of the flies.
(c) A fly.
(d) A flea.
5. What does Ernie believe is written on his face?
(a) The future of the Jewish people.
(b) The death of the Jewish people.
(c) The evacuation of the Jewish people.
(d) The hope of the Jewish people.
6. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
(a) They were about to leave.
(b) She is stronger than they were.
(c) Her older brother was coming to protect her.
(d) She isn't pretty enough.
7. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
(a) Machine operator.
(b) Crystal maker.
(c) Apprentice tailor.
(d) Bicycle messenger.
8. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
9. What does the aide request of the SS officer?
(a) Permission to cry.
(b) Permission to leave the room during the interrogation.
(c) Permission to laugh.
(d) Permission to torture Ernie.
10. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
(a) Made it something to hope for.
(b) Turned it into a sword.
(c) Made it a symbol of peace.
(d) Made it a symbol of hatred.
11. What unusual request does Ernie make of the gendarmes in Drancy?
(a) Identification of the concentration camp's inhabitants.
(b) Admission to the concentration camp.
(c) A visitor's pass to the concentration camp.
(d) Exemption from the concentration camp.
12. What do the Jews of Proskurov do to save themselves from persecution?
(a) Arm themselves.
(b) Dig tunnels.
(c) Store food.
(d) Cry out for seven nights.
13. Why were the passengers in the freight car hoping for rain?
(a) They hoped it would stop the car's progress.
(b) They wanted to fill their canteens.
(c) They had no water.
(d) They were overheated.
14. What does Ernie do to get the attention of the military in Drancy?
(a) Attacks an officer.
(b) Tears off his gold star.
(c) Demands admission to the camp.
(d) Faints in the street.
15. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
(a) The geese.
(b) The chickens.
(c) The dogs.
(d) The horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
2. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
3. What does Ernie agree to do with The Association?
4. What is Ernie unable to determine about the children who crowd around him in the boxcar?
5. How did the democracies of the world respond to German anti-semitism?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)