|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
(a) Pity that turned to happiness.
(b) Sorrow that turned to Pity.
(c) Pity that turned to sorrow.
(d) Sorry that turned to happiness.
2. What does Ernie pray will be taken from his heart on his dream wedding day?
(a) All hatred.
(b) All sorrow.
(c) All Christian influence.
(d) All desire for revenge.
3. What did many Jews believe would happen to them at Pichipoi?
(a) They would be allowed a fresh start.
(b) They would be killed.
(c) They would be granted homesteads.
(d) They would be shipped to Israel.
4. Why do the members of The Association say it is useless to push a Levy?
(a) They can fly all by themselves.
(b) They are already down.
(c) They are stronger than others.
(d) They will fall all by themselves.
5. Where did Ernie tell the children they would find happiness?
(d) The Kingdom of Israel.
6. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(a) Gas masks.
(b) Ear plugs.
7. Who takes Ernie's attention from Golda as they travel in the freight car?
(a) The dying.
(b) The officers.
(c) The children.
(d) The women.
8. What are Ernie's first words as he comes to life in the hospital?
(a) "Be careful. They're deceiving you."
(b) "Everything will be all right."
(c) "The world is going to rack and ruin."
(d) "Things are not what they seem."
9. What does Ernie's moustache cause him to resemble?
(a) A St. Bernard.
(b) A poodle.
(c) A hound.
(d) A Great Dane.
10. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
(a) "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."
(b) "It is better to live than to die."
(c) "It is better to live on our feet than die on our knees."
(d) "It is better to die on our feet than live on our knees."
11. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
(a) He is a child at home.
(b) He has died and gone to heaven.
(c) He is being married.
(d) He has returned to Stillenstadt.
12. How long does Ernie stay in the hospital?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
13. How did the SS officers calm and reassure the prisoners upon their arrival?
(a) Gave them work assignments.
(b) Gave them soup to eat.
(c) Showed them their sleeping quarters.
(d) Had a band play music for them.
14. What is a brioche?
(a) A paunchy belly.
(b) A beard.
(c) A jowl.
(d) A sweet roll.
15. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
(a) The dogs.
(b) The horses.
(c) The chickens.
(d) The geese.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
2. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
3. Why is it easy to find work in the Rhone Valley in 1942?
4. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
5. What does the SS officer suspect Ernie of doing?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)