|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the SS officers calm and reassure the prisoners upon their arrival?
(a) Had a band play music for them.
(b) Gave them work assignments.
(c) Gave them soup to eat.
(d) Showed them their sleeping quarters.
2. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
(a) She fell out of a wagon.
(b) She was flung overboard in the Danube.
(c) She was thrown from a horse.
(d) She was thrown from a mule.
3. What instrument did Ernie play in the regimental orchestra?
4. What do the Jews continue to do in 1943 despite ever-increasing danger?
(a) Attend synagogue.
(b) Dress as Jews.
(c) Speak Yiddish.
(d) Wear the identifying stars.
5. What unusual request does Ernie make of the gendarmes in Drancy?
(a) Identification of the concentration camp's inhabitants.
(b) Exemption from the concentration camp.
(c) A visitor's pass to the concentration camp.
(d) Admission to the concentration camp.
6. What do the Jews of Proskurov do to save themselves from persecution?
(a) Store food.
(b) Cry out for seven nights.
(c) Arm themselves.
(d) Dig tunnels.
7. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
(a) It became thinner.
(b) It became unrecognizeable.
(c) It became flabby.
(d) It became droopy.
8. What happens to hundreds of German Jewish boys in 1934?
(a) They convert to Christianity.
(b) They committ suicide.
(c) They form gangs.
(d) They flee the country.
9. What does Ernie's moustache cause him to resemble?
(a) A poodle.
(b) A Great Dane.
(c) A hound.
(d) A St. Bernard.
10. What is in the bridal chamber when Ernie and Golda first enter in Ernie's dream?
(a) A rooster and a fish.
(b) Doves and butterflies.
(c) A sewing machine, a bundle, and a cot.
(d) A canopied bed.
11. What was the "Final Solution"?
(a) Deportation of the Jews.
(b) Rescue of the Jews.
(c) Extermination of the Jews.
(d) Acceptance of the Jews.
12. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
(a) A flea.
(b) A dog.
(c) Lord of the flies.
(d) A fly.
13. Why did the Jews in Germany not believe the warning signs of their destruction?
(a) They did not believe the Nazis would lie.
(b) They did not believe that human beings could behave like the Nazis.
(c) They believed God would ultimately rescue them.
(d) They believed their suffering served an ultimate purpose.
14. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) Police would search everywhere for him.
(b) He would be executed.
(c) There would be Nazi retribution.
(d) They would be deported.
15. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(a) Gas masks.
(d) Ear plugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were suicidal Jews at Buchenwald requested to do?
2. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
3. Why does Judith tell their donors that they should thank her?
4. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
5. Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues, tells him that the Nazis would not have taken her with them because ____________.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)