|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie smell as he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) Food cooking.
(c) Organic matter burning.
(d) Burning rubber.
2. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
(a) A flea.
(b) A fly.
(c) Lord of the flies.
(d) A dog.
3. How long does Ernie stay in the hospital?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
4. How does the Levy family support itself in Paris at first?
(a) On Benjamin's tailoring.
(b) On Mordecai's crystal work.
(c) On their savings.
(d) On state subsidies.
5. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
(a) Ernie is not French.
(b) Ernie is an Israelite.
(c) An Israelite is a Jew.
(d) Pierre is coming home.
6. How was Golda's leg injured when she was a child?
(a) She was thrown from a mule.
(b) She was flung overboard in the Danube.
(c) She fell out of a wagon.
(d) She was thrown from a horse.
7. What were the prisoners instructed to take with them to the baths?
(a) Their soap and toiletries.
(b) Their identification.
(c) Their valuables and papers.
(d) Their suitcases and clothing.
8. What does Ernie have to sew to stay with The Association?
(a) A new cap.
(b) Clothing for the old men.
(c) A cloth for the synagogue.
(d) The yellow star that shows he is a Jew.
9. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
(a) It became unrecognizeable.
(b) It became thinner.
(c) It became flabby.
(d) It became droopy.
10. What does Ernie dream as he is being repaired in the Jewish hospital?
(a) He has died and gone to heaven.
(b) He is a child at home.
(c) He has returned to Stillenstadt.
(d) He is being married.
11. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and cafeteria."
(b) "To the baths and inhalations."
(c) "To the baths and dormitories."
(d) "To the baths and dining hall."
12. What word do the members of The Association of Old Zenyock have trouble pronouncing?
13. What is Ernie's goal as a he roams the Rhone Valley?
(a) To behave as a Just Man.
(b) To cultivate his highest instincts.
(c) To become a civilized man.
(d) To cultivate his lowest instincts.
14. Why does Herschel Grynszpan's action frighten all German Jews?
(a) Police would search everywhere for him.
(b) They would be deported.
(c) There would be Nazi retribution.
(d) He would be executed.
15. How did the SS officers calm and reassure the prisoners upon their arrival?
(a) Gave them work assignments.
(b) Gave them soup to eat.
(c) Had a band play music for them.
(d) Showed them their sleeping quarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernichtungswissenschaft?
2. What musical instrument does Golda play?
3. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
4. Why does Judith tell their donors that they should thank her?
5. In the hospital, what does Ernie pray to God to do?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)