|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ernie thinks falling in love can lead to ________________.
(a) Overindulgence and misery.
(b) Fasting, temperance, and writing poetry.
(c) Siestas and delirium.
(d) Vulnerability and heartbreak.
2. What quotation from La Pasionara is repeated in Ernie's regiment when France is defeated?
(a) "It is better to die on our feet than live on our knees."
(b) "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."
(c) "It is better to live than to die."
(d) "It is better to live on our feet than die on our knees."
3. What is Vernichtungswissenschaft?
(a) The science of cleansing.
(b) The science of biology.
(c) The science of torture.
(d) The science of massacre.
4. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Prevent pain.
(b) Free them from this world.
(c) Make breathing easier.
(d) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
5. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
6. In his isolation from his family and companions, what does Ernie decide to become?
(a) A flea.
(b) Lord of the flies.
(c) A fly.
(d) A dog.
7. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
(a) An unknown Just Man.
(b) A genius.
(c) A Just Man of the Levy family.
(d) An imposter.
8. What did the signs directing the prisoners to the baths say?
(a) "To the baths and dormitories."
(b) "To the baths and dining hall."
(c) "To the baths and inhalations."
(d) "To the baths and cafeteria."
9. What does the aide request of the SS officer?
(a) Permission to cry.
(b) Permission to leave the room during the interrogation.
(c) Permission to torture Ernie.
(d) Permission to laugh.
10. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
(a) It became droopy.
(b) It became unrecognizeable.
(c) It became thinner.
(d) It became flabby.
11. What does Ernie feel after rescuing Golda, the red-haired girl?
(a) Pity that turned to happiness.
(b) Pity that turned to sorrow.
(c) Sorrow that turned to Pity.
(d) Sorry that turned to happiness.
12. What was the "Final Solution"?
(a) Rescue of the Jews.
(b) Deportation of the Jews.
(c) Acceptance of the Jews.
(d) Extermination of the Jews.
13. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
(a) Every form of mental and physical distress.
(b) Everything that had happened to him.
(c) Everything that had happened to the Levy family.
(d) Everything that had happened to Just Men.
14. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
(a) Made it something to hope for.
(b) Made it a symbol of peace.
(c) Turned it into a sword.
(d) Made it a symbol of hatred.
15. What does Ernie do to get the attention of the military in Drancy?
(a) Demands admission to the camp.
(b) Faints in the street.
(c) Tears off his gold star.
(d) Attacks an officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Judith tell their donors that they should thank her?
2. Ernie tells Golda that Jesus was _____________.
3. What word do the members of The Association of Old Zenyock have trouble pronouncing?
4. What are Ernie's first words as he comes to life in the hospital?
5. What musical instrument does Golda play?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)