|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dogs do the SS officers bring with them to help manage the people in the boxcars?
(a) Bulldogs and bloodhounds.
(b) Pincers and mastiffs.
(c) Bloodhounds and rottweilers.
(d) German shepherds.
2. What was the "Final Solution"?
(a) Rescue of the Jews.
(b) Deportation of the Jews.
(c) Acceptance of the Jews.
(d) Extermination of the Jews.
3. How does the Levy family support itself in Paris at first?
(a) On Mordecai's crystal work.
(b) On state subsidies.
(c) On Benjamin's tailoring.
(d) On their savings.
4. What happened to Ernie's face as he gained weight?
(a) It became unrecognizeable.
(b) It became flabby.
(c) It became thinner.
(d) It became droopy.
5. What did Ernie review in the infirmary as he recovered from his torture?
(a) Every form of mental and physical distress.
(b) Everything that had happened to Just Men.
(c) Everything that had happened to him.
(d) Everything that had happened to the Levy family.
6. What happens to hundreds of German Jewish boys in 1934?
(a) They committ suicide.
(b) They convert to Christianity.
(c) They form gangs.
(d) They flee the country.
7. What work does Ernie find in Paris?
(a) Apprentice tailor.
(b) Bicycle messenger.
(c) Machine operator.
(d) Crystal maker.
8. In the hospital, what does Ernie pray to God to do?
(a) Destroy the Nazis.
(b) Save his family.
(c) Bring the Messiah.
(d) Change the government.
9. How did the SS officers calm and reassure the prisoners upon their arrival?
(a) Gave them soup to eat.
(b) Showed them their sleeping quarters.
(c) Gave them work assignments.
(d) Had a band play music for them.
10. What is a brioche?
(a) A paunchy belly.
(b) A jowl.
(c) A sweet roll.
(d) A beard.
11. What does the aide request of the SS officer?
(a) Permission to torture Ernie.
(b) Permission to laugh.
(c) Permission to leave the room during the interrogation.
(d) Permission to cry.
12. What animal does Ernie ultimately dream he becomes?
(a) An amoeba.
(b) A snail.
(c) A cockroach.
(d) A rat.
13. What had Mordecai told The Association that Ernie would prove himself to be?
(a) A Just Man of the Levy family.
(b) A genius.
(c) An unknown Just Man.
(d) An imposter.
14. What lifesaving device was distributed to all workmen except Jews?
(b) Gas masks.
(d) Ear plugs.
15. As they breathed the gas, when did Ernie promise Golda he would see her?
(a) Before the night was over.
(b) Before the end of the world.
(d) In a little while.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie tell Golda Christians have done with the cross of Christ?
2. Why were the passengers in the freight car hoping for rain?
3. What does the farmer's wife find out that changes her attitude toward Ernie?
4. Why does Judith tell their donors that they should thank her?
5. What does Ernie call the members of The Association that pleases them?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)