|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Ernie's body when he gets out of the boxcar?
(a) He weeps blood.
(b) His ears bleed.
(c) His wounds bleed.
(d) He sweats blood.
2. What was Ernie's assignment in the French army?
(a) Calvary man.
(d) Stretcher bearer.
3. How long does Ernie stay in the hospital?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two years.
4. What does Ernie call the members of The Association that pleases them?
(a) Just Men.
5. How is Golda, the red-haired girl Ernie rescues from the Nazi bullies, deformed?
(a) One foot is larger.
(b) One leg is shorter.
(c) One arm is longer.
(d) One hand is paralyzed.
6. In his wedding dream, what shows up at the windows?
7. Whose example does the farmer's wife who took him in encourage Ernie to follow?
(a) The horses.
(b) The geese.
(c) The dogs.
(d) The chickens.
8. While the Jewish children in Germany are being taught self-destruction, what are the German children taught?
9. What did the SS man instruct the prisoners that the gas in the bathhouse would do?
(a) Disinfect and strengthen the lungs.
(b) Prevent pain.
(c) Make breathing easier.
(d) Free them from this world.
10. To the Germans the Levys are Jews, but what are they to the French?
(d) Illegal immigrants.
11. What do the SS officers tell the Jewish prisoners that the men will be doing?
(a) Building offices and apartments.
(b) Clearing forests.
(c) Building bridges.
(d) Building houses and roads.
12. How did the democracies of the world respond to German anti-semitism?
(a) By refusing to buy their exports.
(b) By supporting the founding of Israel.
(c) By refusing to accept Jewish immigrants.
(d) By offering to take Jewish immigrants.
13. What does Ernie do to get the attention of the military in Drancy?
(a) Attacks an officer.
(b) Demands admission to the camp.
(c) Tears off his gold star.
(d) Faints in the street.
14. Which of the travelers in the freight car with Ernie and Golda found "true consolation"?
(a) Those who helped others.
(b) Those who died.
(c) Those who overcame their fear.
(d) Those who prayed.
15. What penance does Ernie impose upon himself for not loving the farmer's wife who took him in?
(a) Displaying great passion.
(b) Being kind.
(c) Doing all the farm work.
(d) Refusing her good cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it easy to find work in the Rhone Valley in 1942?
2. In the hospital, what does Ernie pray to God to do?
3. When France surrenders, what happens to Ernie's family interred at Gurs?
4. What do Golda and Ernie decide there is no time left to do?
5. What does Ernie realizes he lacks when he enters the street in his dream?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)