|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She becomes his friend.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She screams.
2. What does the ancient text say is the role of Israel in the world?
(a) To fight for justice.
(b) To take upon itself the sufferings of mankind.
(c) To atone for the wrongs of mankind.
(d) To create the sufferings of mankind.
3. What does Mordecai do in response to Ernie's act of heroism in protecting Frau Tuszynski?
(a) Mordecai tells Ernie that they will leave Stillenstadt.
(b) Mordecai tells Ernie that he is ashamed of him.
(c) Mordecai tells Ernie that he is proud of him.
(d) Mordecai tells Ernie the history of the Just Men.
4. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
(a) The red-haired boy.
(b) Hans Schliemann.
(c) No one.
(d) Ilse Bruckner.
5. What does Ernie decide that he is after the bullying by the Plimpfe?
(a) A savior to his family.
(b) The Just Man of the Flies.
(c) A Just Man.
6. Who is Woden?
(a) The Germanic god of war.
(b) The Germanic god of fertility.
(c) The Germanic god of water.
(d) The Germanic god of love.
7. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
(a) He fainted from fear.
(b) He threw stones at them.
(c) He ran to join them.
(d) He ran away from them and hid.
8. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
(a) A cleansing force.
(b) A change of blood.
(c) A contagion from the Germans.
(d) A sign from God.
9. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
10. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
(a) Learn to speak better German.
(b) Dress like the rest of the population.
(c) Worship at home.
(d) Cut off earlocks.
11. What is Mordecai's pet name for Judith?
(a) My dove.
(b) My mare.
(c) My angel.
(d) My pussycat.
12. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
(b) Benjamin hears them.
(c) Mordecai hears them.
(d) Judith hears them.
13. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
(a) He takes off his cap.
(b) He wears casual clothes.
(c) He stops talking.
(d) He takes off his cloak.
14. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
(a) The instruction of the class.
(b) The improvement of the class.
(c) The purification of the class.
(d) The reorganization of the class.
15. What does Herr Kremer believe is more powerful than politics?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
2. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
3. What does Yankel, the young Galician, tell Benjamin happens to his tongue?
4. From which group of children is Ernie separated?
5. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)