|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moritz love best as a child?
2. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
3. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
(b) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
(c) He is afraid that she would leave him.
(d) He no longer believes in that legend.
4. What keeps Ernie from success in committing suicide?
(a) The absence of pain.
(b) Love of his family.
(c) Fear of death.
(d) The sense that he is already nothing.
5. What does Benjamin call his wife?
(a) Dearly beloved.
(b) Little darling.
(c) My dove.
(d) Fraulein Blumenthal.
6. What does Ernie decide that he is after the bullying by the Plimpfe?
(a) A Just Man.
(c) The Just Man of the Flies.
(d) A savior to his family.
7. What does the ancient text say is the role of Israel in the world?
(a) To fight for justice.
(b) To take upon itself the sufferings of mankind.
(c) To atone for the wrongs of mankind.
(d) To create the sufferings of mankind.
8. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
(a) They are wiser through suffering than other peoples.
(b) They are cursed by God.
(c) They are persecuted on behalf of the whole world.
(d) They are holier than other people.
9. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She screams.
(d) She becomes his friend.
10. What is Benjamin Levy's occupation?
(a) A tailor.
(b) A crystal maker.
(c) A baker.
(d) A peddler.
11. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
(b) Work harder than others.
(c) Walk many miles to work.
(d) Agree to accept half wages.
12. What finally causes Benjamin to drop his suspicion of the villagers?
(c) Cheap rent.
(d) Kind words.
13. Why does Mordecai say their hearts are not entirely Jewish?
(a) They are not afraid.
(b) They are literate.
(c) They feel at home.
(d) They feel happy.
14. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
(a) Stay in his room.
(d) Run away.
15. What mysterious affliction hit Benjamin when Judith and Mordecai came to Stillenstadt?
(a) A mental confusion.
(b) A headache.
(c) A fever.
(d) A silence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
2. What are Jews called in Herr Kremer's school?
3. Why is the village upset when Chaim Levy has more than one son?
4. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
5. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)