|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She offers herself in his place.
(c) She kills him.
(d) She faints.
2. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
(a) He disguised them.
(b) He offered to take their place at the stake.
(c) He dug a tunnel.
(d) He killed them.
3. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
(a) Become a baker.
(b) Become a crystal worker.
(c) Move to Zemyock.
(d) Marry him.
4. What is Ernie first in at his school?
5. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
(a) The city wall.
(b) The gate to leave the city.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) The well.
6. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
(a) They are wiser through suffering than other peoples.
(b) They are persecuted on behalf of the whole world.
(c) They are holier than other people.
(d) They are cursed by God.
7. What did Jews have to do to save their lives in York in 1185?
(a) Learn to speak English.
(b) Acknowledge the passion of Jesus Christ.
(c) Evacuate the synagogue.
(d) Cut their hair.
8. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
(a) He is illiterate, and he loves no one.
(b) He is illiterate and loves plants and animals more than people.
(c) He is illiterate and cannot speak.
(d) He is illiterate, and he's cruel to people.
9. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
(a) A change of blood.
(b) A contagion from the Germans.
(c) A sign from God.
(d) A cleansing force.
10. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
(a) The understanding of mankind.
(b) The balance between good and evil.
(d) The mind of God.
11. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
(a) He takes off his cloak.
(b) He wears casual clothes.
(c) He stops talking.
(d) He takes off his cap.
12. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have become impervious to pain.
(b) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
(c) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(d) They have become like Germans.
13. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
14. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She screams.
(c) She becomes his friend.
(d) She laughs.
15. What does Benjamin send Ernie out of the tailor shop to find?
(a) A soda.
(b) A shoehorn.
(c) A pineapple.
(d) A needle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
2. Who defends Ernie against the accusations of the grocer's wife?
3. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
4. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
5. What are Jews called in Herr Kremer's school?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)