|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Pimpfe?
(a) Pioneers in Hitler Youth.
(b) The school elite.
(c) A street gang.
(d) The school chorus.
2. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
(a) He loves fighting.
(b) To follow his brother Moritz.
(c) To be near Ilse Bruckner.
(d) To have playmates.
3. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
(b) Benjamin hears them.
(c) Mordecai hears them.
(d) Judith hears them.
4. What does a Just Man do with the pain of others, according to Mordecai?
(a) Hears it with his ears.
(b) Sees it with his eyes.
(c) Takes it into his heart.
(d) Softens it with his kindness.
5. What does Ernie do with Ilse that infuriates Hans Schliemann?
(a) He cries with her.
(b) He takes her hand.
(c) He puts his arm around her.
(d) He kisses her cheek.
6. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
(a) He poisons himself.
(b) He cuts himself.
(c) He burns himself.
(d) He chokes himself.
7. How does little Ernie save Frau Tuszynski from being tormented by the Nazis?
(a) When he steps forward to protect her, they are distracted.
(b) When he steps forward to protect her, they are ashamed.
(c) When he steps forward to protect her, they laugh.
(d) When he steps forward to protect her, they attack him instead.
8. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(a) Salute Hitler.
(c) Pledge allegiance.
9. Why was the Rock of Woden famous?
(a) It was a sacrificial altar.
(b) It was a remnant of a temple.
(c) Lovers had committed suicide there.
(d) It was a place for divers.
10. When assigned the part of a Jew, what does Ernie refuse to do?
(a) Pick pockets.
(b) Throw stones at Ilse.
(c) Order the crucifixion of Christ.
(d) Rob a store.
11. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
(a) The events do not seem real to him.
(b) He wants to impress Ilse.
(c) He believes it is a Just Man's duty to endure pain.
(d) He accepts it as his lot in life.
12. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
13. Who is Woden?
(a) The Germanic god of fertility.
(b) The Germanic god of love.
(c) The Germanic god of water.
(d) The Germanic god of war.
14. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
15. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She becomes his friend.
(b) She screams.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mordecai want to rejuvenate his life after he can't work?
2. What were the Levys never able to identify about the Just Man in their family?
3. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
4. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
5. What does Mordecai do in response to Ernie's act of heroism in protecting Frau Tuszynski?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)