|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "Berlin Madness"?
(a) Using sharp words to endure distress.
(b) Public renouncing of one's religion.
(c) Forgetting one's homeland.
2. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(b) Salute Hitler.
(d) Pledge allegiance.
3. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
(a) The events do not seem real to him.
(b) He believes it is a Just Man's duty to endure pain.
(c) He wants to impress Ilse.
(d) He accepts it as his lot in life.
4. What does Benjamin attempt to give the villagers but finds he cannot?
(b) Free mending.
(c) A joke.
5. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
(a) He fainted from fear.
(b) He ran away from them and hid.
(c) He ran to join them.
(d) He threw stones at them.
6. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Mordecai hears them.
(b) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
(c) Benjamin hears them.
(d) Judith hears them.
7. What is Mordecai's pet name for Judith?
(a) My pussycat.
(b) My angel.
(c) My mare.
(d) My dove.
8. Who defends Ernie against the accusations of the grocer's wife?
(c) Fraulein Blumenthal.
9. What are Jews called in Herr Kremer's school?
(d) Exchange students.
10. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) All humanity would be forced to improve.
(b) All humanity would die.
(c) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
(d) All humanity would bear its own grief.
11. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
(a) Hans Schliemann.
(b) Ilse Bruckner.
(c) The red-haired boy.
(d) No one.
12. According to Mordecai, why does a Just Man never have to run after suffering?
(a) It will elude him.
(b) It comes to him without being called.
(c) It is not assigned to Just Men.
(d) It will run away faster than he can chase it.
13. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
(a) They preferred honorable starvation to work.
(b) They thought the factories were devilish.
(c) They were too frail.
(d) They could not observe the Sabbath.
14. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She kills him.
(b) She faints.
(c) She offers herself in his place.
(d) She runs away.
15. Why was the Rock of Woden famous?
(a) Lovers had committed suicide there.
(b) It was a place for divers.
(c) It was a sacrificial altar.
(d) It was a remnant of a temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had a professor from Berlin found under the moss of the rock?
2. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
3. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
4. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
5. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)