|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Benjamin send Ernie out of the tailor shop to find?
(a) A needle.
(b) A soda.
(c) A pineapple.
(d) A shoehorn.
2. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) What sin have they committed?
(b) What do Just Men do for the world?
(c) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(d) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
3. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
4. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
5. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
(b) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(c) They have become like Germans.
(d) They have become impervious to pain.
6. When assigned the part of a Jew, what does Ernie refuse to do?
(a) Rob a store.
(b) Pick pockets.
(c) Throw stones at Ilse.
(d) Order the crucifixion of Christ.
7. What had a professor from Berlin found under the moss of the rock?
(a) A swastika.
(b) A jewel.
(c) An autograph of an ancient saint.
(d) A pictograph of horses.
8. How does little Ernie save Frau Tuszynski from being tormented by the Nazis?
(a) When he steps forward to protect her, they are distracted.
(b) When he steps forward to protect her, they are ashamed.
(c) When he steps forward to protect her, they attack him instead.
(d) When he steps forward to protect her, they laugh.
9. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
(a) He poisons himself.
(b) He burns himself.
(c) He cuts himself.
(d) He chokes himself.
10. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
(a) Cut off earlocks.
(b) Learn to speak better German.
(c) Worship at home.
(d) Dress like the rest of the population.
11. What do the German children hate most about Ernie?
(a) His gentleness.
(b) His stubbornness.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His courage.
12. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
(a) Shaping cookies into their shapes.
(b) Soaking them in honey and giving them to him to suck on.
(c) Drawing them on common household objects.
(d) Cutting them out of sandpaper so they can be felt.
13. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She screams.
(b) She becomes his friend.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She laughs.
14. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
15. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
(a) He stops talking.
(b) He takes off his cloak.
(c) He takes off his cap.
(d) He wears casual clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yankel, the young Galician, tell Benjamin happens to his tongue?
2. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
3. From which group of children is Ernie separated?
4. What does Benjamin attempt to give the villagers but finds he cannot?
5. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)