|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
(a) He chokes himself.
(b) He cuts himself.
(c) He poisons himself.
(d) He burns himself.
2. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She faints.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She offers herself in his place.
(d) She kills him.
3. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
4. Who are the Pimpfe?
(a) The school elite.
(b) A street gang.
(c) Pioneers in Hitler Youth.
(d) The school chorus.
5. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
(a) Becomes his friend in public.
(b) Cares for him when he is ill.
(c) Helps him with his homework.
(d) Bargains with bullies to protect him.
6. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
(a) To be near Ilse Bruckner.
(b) To have playmates.
(c) He loves fighting.
(d) To follow his brother Moritz.
7. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
(a) He fainted from fear.
(b) He ran to join them.
(c) He ran away from them and hid.
(d) He threw stones at them.
8. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
(a) The gate to leave the city.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) The well.
(d) The city wall.
9. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(a) Work to save the world.
(b) Become wise.
(c) Redeem his people.
10. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They travel together to protect each other.
(b) They take off their cloaks and hats.
(c) They split up into small groups.
(d) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
11. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
12. According to Mordecai, why does a Just Man never have to run after suffering?
(a) It comes to him without being called.
(b) It will elude him.
(c) It will run away faster than he can chase it.
(d) It is not assigned to Just Men.
13. Why was the Rock of Woden famous?
(a) It was a place for divers.
(b) It was a sacrificial altar.
(c) It was a remnant of a temple.
(d) Lovers had committed suicide there.
14. Who is Woden?
(a) The Germanic god of love.
(b) The Germanic god of war.
(c) The Germanic god of fertility.
(d) The Germanic god of water.
15. What does Moritz love best as a child?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
2. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
3. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
4. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
5. What is Ernie first in at his school?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)