|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yankel, the young Galician, tell Benjamin happens to his tongue?
(a) It tells only lies.
(b) It cuts someone each time it speaks.
(c) It becomes confused and stumbles.
(d) It speaks velvet words.
2. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
3. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
(a) They think they will be punished.
(b) They think he is vengeful.
(c) They think they were wrong.
(d) They think they have killed him.
4. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
(a) The reorganization of the class.
(b) The improvement of the class.
(c) The purification of the class.
(d) The instruction of the class.
5. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
(a) A Nazi officer.
(b) The grocer's wife.
(c) A peasant.
(d) The constable.
6. What keeps Ernie from success in committing suicide?
(a) Love of his family.
(b) Fear of death.
(c) The absence of pain.
(d) The sense that he is already nothing.
7. What does Benjamin call his wife?
(a) Dearly beloved.
(b) My dove.
(c) Fraulein Blumenthal.
(d) Little darling.
8. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(b) What sin have they committed?
(c) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
(d) What do Just Men do for the world?
9. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
(a) To have playmates.
(b) To follow his brother Moritz.
(c) He loves fighting.
(d) To be near Ilse Bruckner.
10. Why was the Rock of Woden famous?
(a) Lovers had committed suicide there.
(b) It was a remnant of a temple.
(c) It was a place for divers.
(d) It was a sacrificial altar.
11. What does a Just Man do with the pain of others, according to Mordecai?
(a) Sees it with his eyes.
(b) Hears it with his ears.
(c) Takes it into his heart.
(d) Softens it with his kindness.
12. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
(a) To tell his mother.
(b) To make him pay.
(c) To meet him by the school.
(d) To be his steady girlfriend.
13. Why does Mordecai Levy advise the village girl he meets to be kind to him?
(a) He might be a spy from her father.
(b) He might be a messenger from God.
(c) He might be the love of her life.
(d) He might be a messenger from the devil.
14. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
(a) He tricks them.
(b) He stabs them.
(c) He kicks them.
(d) He bites them.
15. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jews called in Herr Kremer's school?
2. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
3. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
4. Why is the village upset when Chaim Levy has more than one son?
5. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)