|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
(a) He has chosen correctly; let us celebrate with him.
(b) He is voluntarily suffering; let us not add to his burden.
(c) He has suffered enough during his time as a Christian.
(d) He will suffer as God wills.
2. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) What do Just Men do for the world?
(b) What sin have they committed?
(c) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(d) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
3. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She faints.
(b) She kills him.
(c) She offers herself in his place.
(d) She runs away.
4. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
(a) "Unity in Victory."
(b) "Strike, Pierce, and Kill."
(c) "Forward for the Fatherland."
(d) "All Who God Made German Sing."
5. Why does Mordecai say their hearts are not entirely Jewish?
(a) They are not afraid.
(b) They are literate.
(c) They feel happy.
(d) They feel at home.
6. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
(a) A Nazi officer.
(b) The constable.
(c) A peasant.
(d) The grocer's wife.
7. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
(a) He wants to impress Ilse.
(b) He believes it is a Just Man's duty to endure pain.
(c) He accepts it as his lot in life.
(d) The events do not seem real to him.
8. What does Mordecai determine to teach Ernie while Ernie is still young?
(c) Who he is.
9. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
10. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have become like Germans.
(b) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(c) They have become impervious to pain.
(d) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
11. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He is afraid that she would leave him.
(b) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
(c) He no longer believes in that legend.
(d) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
12. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
(a) The city wall.
(b) The gate to leave the city.
(c) The well.
(d) The synagogue.
13. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
(a) A victim of Slavic persecutions.
(b) The tailor they've been waiting for.
(c) A scapegoat.
(d) An exiled Berliner.
14. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
(a) The reorganization of the class.
(b) The purification of the class.
(c) The instruction of the class.
(d) The improvement of the class.
15. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
(a) He threw stones at them.
(b) He fainted from fear.
(c) He ran to join them.
(d) He ran away from them and hid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
2. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do to his fellow villagers?
3. What does Benjamin attempt to give the villagers but finds he cannot?
4. What does Herr Kremer believe about children?
5. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)