|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
(a) He is voluntarily suffering; let us not add to his burden.
(b) He has suffered enough during his time as a Christian.
(c) He has chosen correctly; let us celebrate with him.
(d) He will suffer as God wills.
2. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
3. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She becomes his friend.
(c) She screams.
(d) She laughs.
4. What does Yankel, the young Galician, tell Benjamin happens to his tongue?
(a) It speaks velvet words.
(b) It becomes confused and stumbles.
(c) It cuts someone each time it speaks.
(d) It tells only lies.
5. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Judith hears them.
(b) Benjamin hears them.
(c) Mordecai hears them.
(d) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
6. What is Ernie first in at his school?
7. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
(b) All humanity would be forced to improve.
(c) All humanity would die.
(d) All humanity would bear its own grief.
8. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
(a) Agree to accept half wages.
(b) Walk many miles to work.
(c) Work harder than others.
9. How does Benjamin believe his success in business has helped his fellow Jews?
(a) His popularity has lowered anti-semitism in general.
(b) He has referred his clients to other Jewish businesses.
(c) He has taught principles of Judaism while fitting clothes.
(d) He has given an example of good business practice.
10. What is each generation's joking response to "Let us speak of something gay"?
(a) What's new with the Jews?
(b) What's new about the war?
(c) What do you hear about the plague?
(d) How is the Inquisition going?
11. What does Benjamin attempt to give the villagers but finds he cannot?
(c) Free mending.
(d) A joke.
12. Why does Mordecai say their hearts are not entirely Jewish?
(a) They feel happy.
(b) They feel at home.
(c) They are literate.
(d) They are not afraid.
13. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
(a) He ran to join them.
(b) He fainted from fear.
(c) He threw stones at them.
(d) He ran away from them and hid.
14. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
(b) He no longer believes in that legend.
(c) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
(d) He is afraid that she would leave him.
15. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(a) Pledge allegiance.
(d) Salute Hitler.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
2. What does Ernie decide that he is after the bullying by the Plimpfe?
3. What mysterious affliction hit Benjamin when Judith and Mordecai came to Stillenstadt?
4. What do the German children hate most about Ernie?
5. How does the Just Man designate Benjamin as his heir?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)