|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do to his fellow villagers?
(a) He killed them all.
(b) He rescued them all.
(c) He deserted them all.
(d) He buried them all.
2. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
(a) The mind of God.
(c) The understanding of mankind.
(d) The balance between good and evil.
3. What does Mordecai determine to teach Ernie while Ernie is still young?
(b) Who he is.
4. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
(a) He burns himself.
(b) He chokes himself.
(c) He cuts himself.
(d) He poisons himself.
5. What had a professor from Berlin found under the moss of the rock?
(a) A jewel.
(b) A swastika.
(c) A pictograph of horses.
(d) An autograph of an ancient saint.
6. What does Benjamin think will make Jews become Germans?
7. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She offers herself in his place.
(c) She faints.
(d) She kills him.
8. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
(a) The city wall.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) The gate to leave the city.
(d) The well.
9. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
(a) No one.
(b) The red-haired boy.
(c) Hans Schliemann.
(d) Ilse Bruckner.
10. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She screams.
(b) She becomes his friend.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She runs away.
11. What mysterious affliction hit Benjamin when Judith and Mordecai came to Stillenstadt?
(a) A headache.
(b) A silence.
(c) A mental confusion.
(d) A fever.
12. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
(a) A Nazi officer.
(b) The constable.
(c) The grocer's wife.
(d) A peasant.
13. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
(a) Cutting them out of sandpaper so they can be felt.
(b) Shaping cookies into their shapes.
(c) Soaking them in honey and giving them to him to suck on.
(d) Drawing them on common household objects.
14. What does a Just Man do with the pain of others, according to Mordecai?
(a) Hears it with his ears.
(b) Takes it into his heart.
(c) Softens it with his kindness.
(d) Sees it with his eyes.
15. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(b) They have become impervious to pain.
(c) They have become like Germans.
(d) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
2. What does Ernie do with Ilse that infuriates Hans Schliemann?
3. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
4. Who defends Ernie against the accusations of the grocer's wife?
5. What finally causes Benjamin to drop his suspicion of the villagers?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)