|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herr Kremer believe is more powerful than politics?
2. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) What do Just Men do for the world?
(b) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(c) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
(d) What sin have they committed?
3. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They travel together to protect each other.
(b) They split up into small groups.
(c) They take off their cloaks and hats.
(d) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
4. What does a Just Man do with the pain of others, according to Mordecai?
(a) Sees it with his eyes.
(b) Softens it with his kindness.
(c) Hears it with his ears.
(d) Takes it into his heart.
5. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
(a) Walk many miles to work.
(c) Agree to accept half wages.
(d) Work harder than others.
6. Why does Mordecai say their hearts are not entirely Jewish?
(a) They feel at home.
(b) They are literate.
(c) They are not afraid.
(d) They feel happy.
7. What does Mordecai determine to teach Ernie while Ernie is still young?
(a) Who he is.
8. What did Jews have to do to save their lives in York in 1185?
(a) Learn to speak English.
(b) Evacuate the synagogue.
(c) Acknowledge the passion of Jesus Christ.
(d) Cut their hair.
9. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
(a) The improvement of the class.
(b) The instruction of the class.
(c) The reorganization of the class.
(d) The purification of the class.
10. According to Mordecai, why does a Just Man never have to run after suffering?
(a) It will elude him.
(b) It will run away faster than he can chase it.
(c) It is not assigned to Just Men.
(d) It comes to him without being called.
11. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have become like Germans.
(b) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(c) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
(d) They have become impervious to pain.
12. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
(a) A Nazi officer.
(b) The grocer's wife.
(c) A peasant.
(d) The constable.
13. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
(a) An exiled Berliner.
(b) A victim of Slavic persecutions.
(c) The tailor they've been waiting for.
(d) A scapegoat.
14. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
(a) They think they will be punished.
(b) They think he is vengeful.
(c) They think they have killed him.
(d) They think they were wrong.
15. Why was the Rock of Woden famous?
(a) It was a place for divers.
(b) It was a remnant of a temple.
(c) It was a sacrificial altar.
(d) Lovers had committed suicide there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Jewish elders find worst about World War I?
2. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
3. What does Ernie do with Ilse that infuriates Hans Schliemann?
4. Who is Woden?
5. What is each generation's joking response to "Let us speak of something gay"?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)