|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
(a) To be near Ilse Bruckner.
(b) He loves fighting.
(c) To have playmates.
(d) To follow his brother Moritz.
2. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
3. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
(a) He will suffer as God wills.
(b) He has suffered enough during his time as a Christian.
(c) He has chosen correctly; let us celebrate with him.
(d) He is voluntarily suffering; let us not add to his burden.
4. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) What sin have they committed?
(b) What do Just Men do for the world?
(c) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(d) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
5. What does the ancient text say is the role of Israel in the world?
(a) To take upon itself the sufferings of mankind.
(b) To create the sufferings of mankind.
(c) To atone for the wrongs of mankind.
(d) To fight for justice.
6. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
7. What is Ernie first in at his school?
8. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
(a) They think they will be punished.
(b) They think he is vengeful.
(c) They think they have killed him.
(d) They think they were wrong.
9. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
(a) He claimed to make old clothes like new.
(b) He claimed to make his customers "Gentlemen of Berlin."
(c) He claimed to charge the lowest prices.
(d) He claimed to know the latest styles.
10. What does Moritz love best as a child?
11. What is each generation's joking response to "Let us speak of something gay"?
(a) What's new with the Jews?
(b) What's new about the war?
(c) How is the Inquisition going?
(d) What do you hear about the plague?
12. What are Jews called in Herr Kremer's school?
(c) Exchange students.
13. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
(a) He accepts it as his lot in life.
(b) He believes it is a Just Man's duty to endure pain.
(c) The events do not seem real to him.
(d) He wants to impress Ilse.
14. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
(a) He is illiterate and loves plants and animals more than people.
(b) He is illiterate and cannot speak.
(c) He is illiterate, and he's cruel to people.
(d) He is illiterate, and he loves no one.
15. What does Ernie do with Ilse that infuriates Hans Schliemann?
(a) He kisses her cheek.
(b) He takes her hand.
(c) He cries with her.
(d) He puts his arm around her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Woden?
2. What did Jews have to do to save their lives in York in 1185?
3. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
4. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
5. How does Benjamin believe his success in business has helped his fellow Jews?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)