|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the Rock of Woden famous?
(a) It was a place for divers.
(b) Lovers had committed suicide there.
(c) It was a sacrificial altar.
(d) It was a remnant of a temple.
2. What is Benjamin Levy's occupation?
(a) A baker.
(b) A crystal maker.
(c) A peddler.
(d) A tailor.
3. What does Moritz love best as a child?
4. What does Mordecai determine to teach Ernie while Ernie is still young?
(c) Who he is.
5. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
6. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
(a) Become a crystal worker.
(b) Become a baker.
(c) Move to Zemyock.
(d) Marry him.
7. Who are the Pimpfe?
(a) A street gang.
(b) The school chorus.
(c) The school elite.
(d) Pioneers in Hitler Youth.
8. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
(a) She can't feed more children.
(b) Her first three babies died in infancy.
(c) She is afraid Mordecai will leave her.
(d) She senses something is wrong with the fetus.
9. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
(a) The synagogue.
(b) The city wall.
(c) The well.
(d) The gate to leave the city.
10. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
(a) He believes it is a Just Man's duty to endure pain.
(b) He accepts it as his lot in life.
(c) He wants to impress Ilse.
(d) The events do not seem real to him.
11. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
(a) Stay in his room.
(c) Run away.
12. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
(a) Cut off earlocks.
(b) Worship at home.
(c) Learn to speak better German.
(d) Dress like the rest of the population.
13. According to Mordecai, why does a Just Man never have to run after suffering?
(a) It is not assigned to Just Men.
(b) It will run away faster than he can chase it.
(c) It comes to him without being called.
(d) It will elude him.
14. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
(a) Soaking them in honey and giving them to him to suck on.
(b) Drawing them on common household objects.
(c) Cutting them out of sandpaper so they can be felt.
(d) Shaping cookies into their shapes.
15. What does Herr Kremer believe is more powerful than politics?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
2. What is "Berlin Madness"?
3. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
4. What does the ancient text say is the role of Israel in the world?
5. What does Ernie decide that he is after the bullying by the Plimpfe?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)