|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
(a) Learn to speak better German.
(b) Cut off earlocks.
(c) Worship at home.
(d) Dress like the rest of the population.
2. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(a) Redeem his people.
(c) Work to save the world.
(d) Become wise.
3. Who defends Ernie against the accusations of the grocer's wife?
(d) Fraulein Blumenthal.
4. Who is Woden?
(a) The Germanic god of war.
(b) The Germanic god of fertility.
(c) The Germanic god of water.
(d) The Germanic god of love.
5. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
(a) A cleansing force.
(b) A sign from God.
(c) A change of blood.
(d) A contagion from the Germans.
6. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She offers herself in his place.
(b) She kills him.
(c) She faints.
(d) She runs away.
7. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
(a) He offered to take their place at the stake.
(b) He disguised them.
(c) He dug a tunnel.
(d) He killed them.
8. Who are the Pimpfe?
(a) The school chorus.
(b) Pioneers in Hitler Youth.
(c) A street gang.
(d) The school elite.
9. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They split up into small groups.
(b) They travel together to protect each other.
(c) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
(d) They take off their cloaks and hats.
10. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
(a) To tell his mother.
(b) To make him pay.
(c) To be his steady girlfriend.
(d) To meet him by the school.
11. What is "Berlin Madness"?
(b) Public renouncing of one's religion.
(c) Forgetting one's homeland.
(d) Using sharp words to endure distress.
12. What does Herr Kremer believe is more powerful than politics?
13. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
(a) No one.
(b) Ilse Bruckner.
(c) The red-haired boy.
(d) Hans Schliemann.
14. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
15. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
(a) The mind of God.
(b) The balance between good and evil.
(d) The understanding of mankind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Benjamin Levy's occupation?
2. How does the Just Man designate Benjamin as his heir?
3. What had a professor from Berlin found under the moss of the rock?
4. From which group of children is Ernie separated?
5. Why do the German children regret attacking Ernie?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)