|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
2. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
(a) Bargains with bullies to protect him.
(b) Becomes his friend in public.
(c) Cares for him when he is ill.
(d) Helps him with his homework.
3. How does Benjamin defend the apostate who returns to Judaism?
(a) He has suffered enough during his time as a Christian.
(b) He has chosen correctly; let us celebrate with him.
(c) He is voluntarily suffering; let us not add to his burden.
(d) He will suffer as God wills.
4. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He is afraid that she would leave him.
(b) He no longer believes in that legend.
(c) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
(d) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
5. What did Jews have to do to save their lives in York in 1185?
(a) Learn to speak English.
(b) Evacuate the synagogue.
(c) Acknowledge the passion of Jesus Christ.
(d) Cut their hair.
6. What does Mordecai want to rejuvenate his life after he can't work?
(a) A chance to converse with other elders.
(b) Peace and quiet.
(c) The ancient scrolls.
7. What keeps Ernie from success in committing suicide?
(a) The absence of pain.
(b) Love of his family.
(c) The sense that he is already nothing.
(d) Fear of death.
8. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
(a) The tailor they've been waiting for.
(b) A victim of Slavic persecutions.
(c) An exiled Berliner.
(d) A scapegoat.
9. How does little Ernie save Frau Tuszynski from being tormented by the Nazis?
(a) When he steps forward to protect her, they are ashamed.
(b) When he steps forward to protect her, they attack him instead.
(c) When he steps forward to protect her, they laugh.
(d) When he steps forward to protect her, they are distracted.
10. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(a) Salute Hitler.
(c) Pledge allegiance.
11. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(a) Redeem his people.
(b) Become wise.
(c) Work to save the world.
12. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
(a) They could not observe the Sabbath.
(b) They preferred honorable starvation to work.
(c) They thought the factories were devilish.
(d) They were too frail.
13. What does Benjamin send Ernie out of the tailor shop to find?
(a) A needle.
(b) A shoehorn.
(c) A pineapple.
(d) A soda.
14. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
(a) They are persecuted on behalf of the whole world.
(b) They are cursed by God.
(c) They are holier than other people.
(d) They are wiser through suffering than other peoples.
15. Who is Woden?
(a) The Germanic god of water.
(b) The Germanic god of war.
(c) The Germanic god of fertility.
(d) The Germanic god of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
2. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
3. What does Mordecai do in response to Ernie's act of heroism in protecting Frau Tuszynski?
4. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
5. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)