|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mordecai, why does a Just Man never have to run after suffering?
(a) It comes to him without being called.
(b) It will elude him.
(c) It will run away faster than he can chase it.
(d) It is not assigned to Just Men.
2. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(b) Become wise.
(c) Work to save the world.
(d) Redeem his people.
3. What does Herr Kremer believe about children?
(a) They are superior to adults.
(b) They are blank pages to be written upon.
(c) They are prone to evil.
(d) They are clay to be molded.
4. What does Judith unwillingly consent to do for Mordecai?
(a) Become a crystal worker.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Move to Zemyock.
(d) Become a baker.
5. What is "Berlin Madness"?
(b) Using sharp words to endure distress.
(c) Public renouncing of one's religion.
(d) Forgetting one's homeland.
6. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(b) What sin have they committed?
(c) What do Just Men do for the world?
(d) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
7. How does Chaim Levy attract the children of the village where he lives?
(a) With threats of disaster.
(b) With promises of treats.
(c) With ancient stories.
(d) With candy and nuts.
8. Why does Ernie decide that he cannot be a Just Man as he cleans his wounds after the bullying?
(a) He feels no pain.
(b) He feels anger.
(c) He feels hatred.
(d) He feels forgiving.
9. What is Ernie first in at his school?
10. When assigned the part of a Jew, what does Ernie refuse to do?
(a) Throw stones at Ilse.
(b) Pick pockets.
(c) Rob a store.
(d) Order the crucifixion of Christ.
11. What is each generation's joking response to "Let us speak of something gay"?
(a) What do you hear about the plague?
(b) What's new about the war?
(c) How is the Inquisition going?
(d) What's new with the Jews?
12. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
(a) They thought the factories were devilish.
(b) They preferred honorable starvation to work.
(c) They were too frail.
(d) They could not observe the Sabbath.
13. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
(b) He no longer believes in that legend.
(c) He is afraid that she would leave him.
(d) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
14. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
(a) Learn to speak better German.
(b) Cut off earlocks.
(c) Dress like the rest of the population.
(d) Worship at home.
15. Whom does Ernie decide he will represent as a Just Man if people reject him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
2. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
3. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
4. What did Jews have to do to save their lives in York in 1185?
5. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)