|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ernie first in at his school?
2. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
(a) A change of blood.
(b) A sign from God.
(c) A cleansing force.
(d) A contagion from the Germans.
3. What does Ilse Bruckner promise Hans Schliemann when they leave Ernie?
(a) To tell his mother.
(b) To meet him by the school.
(c) To make him pay.
(d) To be his steady girlfriend.
4. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
(a) Agree to accept half wages.
(b) Walk many miles to work.
(d) Work harder than others.
5. How does Benjamin believe his success in business has helped his fellow Jews?
(a) He has given an example of good business practice.
(b) He has referred his clients to other Jewish businesses.
(c) He has taught principles of Judaism while fitting clothes.
(d) His popularity has lowered anti-semitism in general.
6. Who defends Ernie against the accusations of the grocer's wife?
(d) Fraulein Blumenthal.
7. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
8. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) All humanity would die.
(b) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
(c) All humanity would be forced to improve.
(d) All humanity would bear its own grief.
9. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Mordecai hears them.
(b) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
(c) Benjamin hears them.
(d) Judith hears them.
10. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
(a) An exiled Berliner.
(b) A scapegoat.
(c) A victim of Slavic persecutions.
(d) The tailor they've been waiting for.
11. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
12. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(a) Salute Hitler.
(d) Pledge allegiance.
13. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
(a) He is illiterate and cannot speak.
(b) He is illiterate, and he loves no one.
(c) He is illiterate and loves plants and animals more than people.
(d) He is illiterate, and he's cruel to people.
14. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do to his fellow villagers?
(a) He buried them all.
(b) He rescued them all.
(c) He deserted them all.
(d) He killed them all.
15. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
(a) Learn to speak better German.
(b) Cut off earlocks.
(c) Dress like the rest of the population.
(d) Worship at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
2. What does Mordecai determine to teach Ernie while Ernie is still young?
3. What had a professor from Berlin found under the moss of the rock?
4. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
5. How does the Just Man designate Benjamin as his heir?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)