|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) What sin have they committed?
(b) What do Just Men do for the world?
(c) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(d) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
2. What is Benjamin Levy's occupation?
(a) A crystal maker.
(b) A tailor.
(c) A peddler.
(d) A baker.
3. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
(a) He claimed to charge the lowest prices.
(b) He claimed to know the latest styles.
(c) He claimed to make his customers "Gentlemen of Berlin."
(d) He claimed to make old clothes like new.
4. From which group of children is Ernie separated?
(c) Aryans and Jews.
5. What does Yankel, the young Galician, tell Benjamin happens to his tongue?
(a) It cuts someone each time it speaks.
(b) It tells only lies.
(c) It speaks velvet words.
(d) It becomes confused and stumbles.
6. Why does Ernie decide that he cannot be a Just Man as he cleans his wounds after the bullying?
(a) He feels hatred.
(b) He feels no pain.
(c) He feels forgiving.
(d) He feels anger.
7. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
(a) She can't feed more children.
(b) Her first three babies died in infancy.
(c) She is afraid Mordecai will leave her.
(d) She senses something is wrong with the fetus.
8. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) All humanity would bear its own grief.
(b) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
(c) All humanity would be forced to improve.
(d) All humanity would die.
9. What does Mordecai do in response to Ernie's act of heroism in protecting Frau Tuszynski?
(a) Mordecai tells Ernie that he is ashamed of him.
(b) Mordecai tells Ernie that they will leave Stillenstadt.
(c) Mordecai tells Ernie the history of the Just Men.
(d) Mordecai tells Ernie that he is proud of him.
10. What is Mordecai's pet name for Judith?
(a) My pussycat.
(b) My mare.
(c) My dove.
(d) My angel.
11. What did the Jewish elders find worst about World War I?
(a) Jews might kill each other.
(b) Jews might be barred from Israel.
(c) Jews might be killed by Christians.
(d) Jews might be exempt from fighting.
12. How does Benjamin believe his success in business has helped his fellow Jews?
(a) His popularity has lowered anti-semitism in general.
(b) He has taught principles of Judaism while fitting clothes.
(c) He has referred his clients to other Jewish businesses.
(d) He has given an example of good business practice.
13. What is Ernie first in at his school?
14. What does Benjamin call his wife?
(a) My dove.
(b) Dearly beloved.
(c) Fraulein Blumenthal.
(d) Little darling.
15. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
(a) A victim of Slavic persecutions.
(b) An exiled Berliner.
(c) A scapegoat.
(d) The tailor they've been waiting for.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
2. Why does Mordecai say their hearts are not entirely Jewish?
3. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
4. What does Herr Kremer believe about children?
5. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)