|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a Just Man do with the pain of others, according to Mordecai?
(a) Hears it with his ears.
(b) Takes it into his heart.
(c) Sees it with his eyes.
(d) Softens it with his kindness.
2. What did the Jewish elders find worst about World War I?
(a) Jews might be killed by Christians.
(b) Jews might be barred from Israel.
(c) Jews might be exempt from fighting.
(d) Jews might kill each other.
3. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Mordecai hears them.
(b) Judith hears them.
(c) Benjamin hears them.
(d) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
4. What is Benjamin Levy's occupation?
(a) A crystal maker.
(b) A tailor.
(c) A baker.
(d) A peddler.
5. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
(a) A change of blood.
(b) A cleansing force.
(c) A contagion from the Germans.
(d) A sign from God.
6. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
(b) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(c) What sin have they committed?
(d) What do Just Men do for the world?
7. How does Ernie prepare himself for the pain of a Just Man's life?
(a) He poisons himself.
(b) He chokes himself.
(c) He cuts himself.
(d) He burns himself.
8. What is Mordecai's pet name for Judith?
(a) My mare.
(b) My pussycat.
(c) My dove.
(d) My angel.
9. How does Chaim Levy attract the children of the village where he lives?
(a) With threats of disaster.
(b) With promises of treats.
(c) With ancient stories.
(d) With candy and nuts.
10. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
11. What does Benjamin attempt to give the villagers but finds he cannot?
(a) A joke.
(c) Free mending.
12. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
(c) Stay in his room.
(d) Run away.
13. What do the German children hate most about Ernie?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His stubbornness.
(c) His courage.
(d) His gentleness.
14. Who defends Ernie against the accusations of the grocer's wife?
(d) Fraulein Blumenthal.
15. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(b) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
(c) They have become like Germans.
(d) They have become impervious to pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie decide that he is after the bullying by the Plimpfe?
2. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
3. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
4. What were the Levys never able to identify about the Just Man in their family?
5. What is Ernie first in at his school?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)