|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does little Ernie save Frau Tuszynski from being tormented by the Nazis?
(a) When he steps forward to protect her, they are ashamed.
(b) When he steps forward to protect her, they attack him instead.
(c) When he steps forward to protect her, they laugh.
(d) When he steps forward to protect her, they are distracted.
2. What does Benjamin call his wife?
(a) Fraulein Blumenthal.
(b) Dearly beloved.
(c) Little darling.
(d) My dove.
3. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
4. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
(a) He believes it is a Just Man's duty to endure pain.
(b) He accepts it as his lot in life.
(c) He wants to impress Ilse.
(d) The events do not seem real to him.
5. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(a) Salute Hitler.
(b) Pledge allegiance.
6. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(b) Redeem his people.
(c) Become wise.
(d) Work to save the world.
7. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do to his fellow villagers?
(a) He deserted them all.
(b) He rescued them all.
(c) He buried them all.
(d) He killed them all.
8. What did the villagers of Stillenstadt call Benjamin when he arrived?
(a) A victim of Slavic persecutions.
(b) The tailor they've been waiting for.
(c) A scapegoat.
(d) An exiled Berliner.
9. What did the Jewish elders find worst about World War I?
(a) Jews might be barred from Israel.
(b) Jews might be killed by Christians.
(c) Jews might be exempt from fighting.
(d) Jews might kill each other.
10. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
(a) Ilse Bruckner.
(b) Hans Schliemann.
(c) No one.
(d) The red-haired boy.
11. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
(a) He stabs them.
(b) He bites them.
(c) He kicks them.
(d) He tricks them.
12. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Benjamin hears them.
(b) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
(c) Mordecai hears them.
(d) Judith hears them.
13. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) All humanity would bear its own grief.
(b) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
(c) All humanity would die.
(d) All humanity would be forced to improve.
14. What are Jews called in Herr Kremer's school?
(a) Exchange students.
15. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
(a) A cleansing force.
(b) A sign from God.
(c) A contagion from the Germans.
(d) A change of blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Just Man do with the pain of others, according to Mordecai?
2. What were the Levys never able to identify about the Just Man in their family?
3. What is Mordecai's pet name for Judith?
4. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
5. What does Ernie decide that he is after the bullying by the Plimpfe?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)