|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Woden?
(a) The Germanic god of love.
(b) The Germanic god of water.
(c) The Germanic god of war.
(d) The Germanic god of fertility.
2. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
3. How does Ernie's family learn that the squadron of anti-Semites is coming?
(a) Benjamin hears them.
(b) Mordecai hears them.
(c) Frau Blumenthal hears them.
(d) Judith hears them.
4. What is "Berlin Madness"?
(a) Forgetting one's homeland.
(c) Using sharp words to endure distress.
(d) Public renouncing of one's religion.
5. What finally causes Benjamin to drop his suspicion of the villagers?
(a) Kind words.
(b) Cheap rent.
6. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They take off their cloaks and hats.
(b) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
(c) They split up into small groups.
(d) They travel together to protect each other.
7. Why does Ernie decide that he cannot be a Just Man as he cleans his wounds after the bullying?
(a) He feels anger.
(b) He feels hatred.
(c) He feels forgiving.
(d) He feels no pain.
8. What do the German children hate most about Ernie?
(a) His stubbornness.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His courage.
(d) His gentleness.
9. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
(a) She senses something is wrong with the fetus.
(b) Her first three babies died in infancy.
(c) She can't feed more children.
(d) She is afraid Mordecai will leave her.
10. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
(a) He dug a tunnel.
(b) He offered to take their place at the stake.
(c) He killed them.
(d) He disguised them.
11. What keeps Ernie from success in committing suicide?
(a) The sense that he is already nothing.
(b) Love of his family.
(c) Fear of death.
(d) The absence of pain.
12. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
(a) They are wiser through suffering than other peoples.
(b) They are holier than other people.
(c) They are cursed by God.
(d) They are persecuted on behalf of the whole world.
13. What does Herr Kremer believe is more powerful than politics?
14. What are Jews called in Herr Kremer's school?
(d) Exchange students.
15. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
(a) He is illiterate and loves plants and animals more than people.
(b) He is illiterate and cannot speak.
(c) He is illiterate, and he's cruel to people.
(d) He is illiterate, and he loves no one.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
2. What does Ernie decide to do in response to his public disgrace?
3. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
4. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
5. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)