|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
(a) The city wall.
(b) The well.
(c) The gate to leave the city.
(d) The synagogue.
2. What is the title of the march of the Pimpfe?
(a) "Strike, Pierce, and Kill."
(b) "All Who God Made German Sing."
(c) "Forward for the Fatherland."
(d) "Unity in Victory."
3. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She kills him.
(b) She offers herself in his place.
(c) She faints.
(d) She runs away.
4. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
(a) They thought the factories were devilish.
(b) They preferred honorable starvation to work.
(c) They could not observe the Sabbath.
(d) They were too frail.
5. How does little Ernie save Frau Tuszynski from being tormented by the Nazis?
(a) When he steps forward to protect her, they laugh.
(b) When he steps forward to protect her, they attack him instead.
(c) When he steps forward to protect her, they are ashamed.
(d) When he steps forward to protect her, they are distracted.
6. What does Herr Geek force the Jewish children to do?
(a) Salute Hitler.
(d) Pledge allegiance.
7. What does Herr Kremer believe about children?
(a) They are clay to be molded.
(b) They are prone to evil.
(c) They are blank pages to be written upon.
(d) They are superior to adults.
8. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
(b) Work harder than others.
(c) Walk many miles to work.
(d) Agree to accept half wages.
9. Who is Woden?
(a) The Germanic god of fertility.
(b) The Germanic god of war.
(c) The Germanic god of love.
(d) The Germanic god of water.
10. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
(a) He offered to take their place at the stake.
(b) He dug a tunnel.
(c) He killed them.
(d) He disguised them.
11. Why is the village upset when Chaim Levy has more than one son?
(a) It shows that their village does not deserve a Just Man.
(b) They cannot care for more than one Just Man.
(c) It proves that Chaim Levy is not a Just Man.
(d) They will not know which was the Just Man.
12. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They take off their cloaks and hats.
(b) They split up into small groups.
(c) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
(d) They travel together to protect each other.
13. What does Mordecai do in response to Ernie's act of heroism in protecting Frau Tuszynski?
(a) Mordecai tells Ernie the history of the Just Men.
(b) Mordecai tells Ernie that they will leave Stillenstadt.
(c) Mordecai tells Ernie that he is ashamed of him.
(d) Mordecai tells Ernie that he is proud of him.
14. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
(a) Soaking them in honey and giving them to him to suck on.
(b) Shaping cookies into their shapes.
(c) Drawing them on common household objects.
(d) Cutting them out of sandpaper so they can be felt.
15. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(b) They have become impervious to pain.
(c) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
(d) They have become like Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Mordecai Levy take up after harvesting potatoes?
2. What does Moritz love best as a child?
3. What finally causes Benjamin to drop his suspicion of the villagers?
4. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
5. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)