|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mordecai want to rejuvenate his life after he can't work?
(a) Peace and quiet.
(b) The ancient scrolls.
(c) A chance to converse with other elders.
2. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
(b) They have become like Germans.
(c) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
(d) They have become impervious to pain.
3. How does the family avoid attack on the way to the synagogue?
(a) They travel together to protect each other.
(b) They avoid main streets and thoroughfares.
(c) They split up into small groups.
(d) They take off their cloaks and hats.
4. What does Moritz recommend to avoid persecution?
(a) Dress like the rest of the population.
(b) Learn to speak better German.
(c) Cut off earlocks.
(d) Worship at home.
5. What is Mordecai's pet name for Judith?
(a) My angel.
(b) My pussycat.
(c) My dove.
(d) My mare.
6. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
(a) Bargains with bullies to protect him.
(b) Becomes his friend in public.
(c) Cares for him when he is ill.
(d) Helps him with his homework.
7. What does Benjamin think will make Jews become Germans?
8. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
9. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She screams.
(b) She becomes his friend.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She laughs.
10. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
(a) He fainted from fear.
(b) He threw stones at them.
(c) He ran away from them and hid.
(d) He ran to join them.
11. From which group of children is Ernie separated?
(d) Aryans and Jews.
12. Why does Ernie decide that he cannot be a Just Man as he cleans his wounds after the bullying?
(a) He feels no pain.
(b) He feels hatred.
(c) He feels anger.
(d) He feels forgiving.
13. What question does Judith raise that Mordecai cannot answer?
(a) What do Just Men do for the world?
(b) Why do Just Men die in their beds?
(c) Why does God require the existence of Just Men?
(d) What sin have they committed?
14. What does the village girl point out to Mordecai Levy?
(a) The gate to leave the city.
(b) The well.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) The city wall.
15. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
(a) Thirty-six new Just Men would have to be found.
(b) All humanity would bear its own grief.
(c) All humanity would die.
(d) All humanity would be forced to improve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
2. What does Yankel, the young Galician, tell Benjamin happens to his tongue?
3. Why does Mordecai say their hearts are not entirely Jewish?
4. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
5. What does Moritz love best as a child?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)