|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
(a) He dug a tunnel.
(b) He killed them.
(c) He offered to take their place at the stake.
(d) He disguised them.
2. What did Judith call Benjamin's affliction when they arrived at Stillenstadt?
(a) A change of blood.
(b) A contagion from the Germans.
(c) A cleansing force.
(d) A sign from God.
3. What does Benjamin send Ernie out of the tailor shop to find?
(a) A soda.
(b) A shoehorn.
(c) A needle.
(d) A pineapple.
4. Why does Ernie remain calm through the Pimpfe's cruel treatment of him?
(a) He wants to impress Ilse.
(b) He accepts it as his lot in life.
(c) The events do not seem real to him.
(d) He believes it is a Just Man's duty to endure pain.
5. What does Herr Kremer believe is more powerful than politics?
6. Why was the Rock of Woden famous?
(a) It was a place for divers.
(b) Lovers had committed suicide there.
(c) It was a sacrificial altar.
(d) It was a remnant of a temple.
7. What does Benjamin think will make Jews become Germans?
8. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
9. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
(a) He claimed to make old clothes like new.
(b) He claimed to make his customers "Gentlemen of Berlin."
(c) He claimed to charge the lowest prices.
(d) He claimed to know the latest styles.
10. When Benjamin's hand bleeds, what do his fellow workers think about their cruelty?
(a) They have become impervious to pain.
(b) They have literally pierced him with unkindness.
(c) They have become like Germans.
(d) They have gone beyond forgiveness.
11. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
(a) To have playmates.
(b) To be near Ilse Bruckner.
(c) To follow his brother Moritz.
(d) He loves fighting.
12. What were the Levys never able to identify about the Just Man in their family?
(a) The way to treat a Just Man.
(b) The purpose of a Just man.
(c) The signs by which God made his choice.
(d) The identifying features of a Just Man in childhood.
13. Why did the Jews refuse to work in Polish factories when the country industrialized?
(a) They were too frail.
(b) They preferred honorable starvation to work.
(c) They could not observe the Sabbath.
(d) They thought the factories were devilish.
14. What does Judith do when a soldier attacks Mordecai?
(a) She faints.
(b) She offers herself in his place.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She kills him.
15. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benjamin attempt to give the villagers but finds he cannot?
2. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
3. What finally causes Benjamin to drop his suspicion of the villagers?
4. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do when he saw the parade of fascists?
5. When assigned the part of a Jew, what does Ernie refuse to do?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)