|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernie reflexively defend himself against the bullying of the Pimpfe?
(a) He bites them.
(b) He tricks them.
(c) He kicks them.
(d) He stabs them.
2. Why does Ernie join the street gang?
(a) He loves fighting.
(b) To have playmates.
(c) To be near Ilse Bruckner.
(d) To follow his brother Moritz.
3. Why does Ernie decide that he cannot be a Just Man as he cleans his wounds after the bullying?
(a) He feels anger.
(b) He feels hatred.
(c) He feels no pain.
(d) He feels forgiving.
4. What does Herr Kremer believe about children?
(a) They are clay to be molded.
(b) They are superior to adults.
(c) They are prone to evil.
(d) They are blank pages to be written upon.
5. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He is afraid that she would leave him.
(b) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
(c) He no longer believes in that legend.
(d) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
6. What does Ernie win for good performance in school?
7. Why doesn't Judith rejoice when she becomes pregnant for the fourth time?
(a) Her first three babies died in infancy.
(b) She senses something is wrong with the fetus.
(c) She can't feed more children.
(d) She is afraid Mordecai will leave her.
8. What were the Levys never able to identify about the Just Man in their family?
(a) The identifying features of a Just Man in childhood.
(b) The signs by which God made his choice.
(c) The purpose of a Just man.
(d) The way to treat a Just Man.
9. Who stays behind when the Pimpfe leave Ernie?
(a) Hans Schliemann.
(b) No one.
(c) The red-haired boy.
(d) Ilse Bruckner.
10. What does Herr Geek believe is his job at Ernie's school?
(a) The improvement of the class.
(b) The instruction of the class.
(c) The reorganization of the class.
(d) The purification of the class.
11. What does Ernie feel for the first time as he remembers fighting the Pimpfe?
12. How does the grocer's daughter react when Ernie explains why he has come to the grocery store?
(a) She becomes his friend.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She screams.
(d) She laughs.
13. What does Benjamin call his wife?
(a) My dove.
(b) Little darling.
(c) Fraulein Blumenthal.
(d) Dearly beloved.
14. What does Jacob do to avoid being recognized as a Jew on the way to the synagogue?
(a) He takes off his cap.
(b) He stops talking.
(c) He takes off his cloak.
(d) He wears casual clothes.
15. Who are the Pimpfe?
(a) The school chorus.
(b) The school elite.
(c) Pioneers in Hitler Youth.
(d) A street gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ilse Bruckner first in at Ernie's school?
2. How are the letters made familiar to the young child?
3. Why is Chaim's son, the Just Man, called Brother Beast?
4. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
5. What did the Jewish elders find worst about World War I?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)