|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie decide that he is after the bullying by the Plimpfe?
(a) A savior to his family.
(c) The Just Man of the Flies.
(d) A Just Man.
2. What does Mordecai tell Ernie he will eventually begin to do as a Just Man?
(a) Become wise.
(b) Redeem his people.
(c) Work to save the world.
3. What does Mordecai believe is the significance of being Jewish?
(a) They are holier than other people.
(b) They are cursed by God.
(c) They are wiser through suffering than other peoples.
(d) They are persecuted on behalf of the whole world.
4. What advertisement made Benjamin's tailoring shop a success?
(a) He claimed to make his customers "Gentlemen of Berlin."
(b) He claimed to charge the lowest prices.
(c) He claimed to know the latest styles.
(d) He claimed to make old clothes like new.
5. What does the ancient text say is the role of Israel in the world?
(a) To take upon itself the sufferings of mankind.
(b) To create the sufferings of mankind.
(c) To fight for justice.
(d) To atone for the wrongs of mankind.
6. From which group of children is Ernie separated?
(a) Aryans and Jews.
7. What does Herr Kremer believe about children?
(a) They are prone to evil.
(b) They are blank pages to be written upon.
(c) They are superior to adults.
(d) They are clay to be molded.
8. Who delivers Ernie to his family?
(a) The constable.
(b) The grocer's wife.
(c) A Nazi officer.
(d) A peasant.
9. What does Ilse Bruckner do for Ernie?
(a) Helps him with his homework.
(b) Cares for him when he is ill.
(c) Bargains with bullies to protect him.
(d) Becomes his friend in public.
10. Why does Mordecai Levy advise the village girl he meets to be kind to him?
(a) He might be a messenger from the devil.
(b) He might be the love of her life.
(c) He might be a spy from her father.
(d) He might be a messenger from God.
11. Why does Benjamin decide not to tell his wife that he is a Just Man?
(a) He is afraid that she would leave him.
(b) He knows it would cause her needless worry.
(c) He is sure she wouldn't marry him.
(d) He no longer believes in that legend.
12. What does Mordecai Levy have to do to keep his potato harvesting job?
(a) Walk many miles to work.
(b) Work harder than others.
(d) Agree to accept half wages.
13. What did Yankel, the young Galician, do to his fellow villagers?
(a) He buried them all.
(b) He deserted them all.
(c) He killed them all.
(d) He rescued them all.
14. According to Mordecai, what does the death of a Just Man change in the order of the world?
(a) The understanding of mankind.
(b) The balance between good and evil.
(d) The mind of God.
15. What did Jews have to do to save their lives in York in 1185?
(a) Cut their hair.
(b) Evacuate the synagogue.
(c) Learn to speak English.
(d) Acknowledge the passion of Jesus Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Benjamin Levy's occupation?
2. How did Rabbi Yom Tov Levy get his people out of the besieged watchtower of York?
3. Who are the Pimpfe?
4. What does the legend say would happen to the world if one of the Just Men were lacking?
5. What is Ernie first in at his school?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)